MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

According to a post on buschat, an RTS will have an final run on Monday, May 6th on the M55 departing at 9:10AM from the midtown terminal, it will run in service to 2 Broadway where it will be on display from 10AM to 1PM. There will be two RTS from the museum fleet on display (Most likely 1201 and 5249).

Shocked that they care enough about the bus fleet to do this tbh. 5241 is still registered to Quill though it's OOS so i assume thay will be the bus

5 hours ago, Orion6025 said:

Shocked that they care enough about the bus fleet to do this tbh. 5241 is still registered to Quill though it's OOS so i assume thay will be the bus

I'm curious as to how the turnout will be for the final run, will the bus be crush loaded with fanners or only a handful will be there? Since the M55 run will most likely be an 99 RTS I rode those on the M55 quite a few times when the RTS's were still active, so I won't lose sleep if I don't ride this final run lol. I'll probably stop by 2 Broadway to get pics of the buses on display, If I don't make it there's always busfest in june... assuming they bring the NYCT RTS's out for that, they usually only bring the PBL units.

All in all I hope the final ride goes smoothly, then maybe it will encourage the TM will bring out the vintage bus fleet for rides more often.

7 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

I'm curious as to how the turnout will be for the final run, will the bus be crush loaded with fanners or only a handful will be there? Since the M55 run will most likely be an 99 RTS I rode those on the M55 quite a few times when the RTS's were still active, so I won't lose sleep if I don't ride this final run lol. I'll probably stop by 2 Broadway to get pics of the buses on display, If I don't make it there's always busfest in june... assuming they bring the NYCT RTS's out for that, they usually only bring the PBL units.

All in all I hope the final ride goes smoothly, then maybe it will encourage the TM will bring out the vintage bus fleet for rides more often.

I won’t be able to make it to the final ride of the RTS bus on the M55 since I have other commitments that are overlapping (college classes). However I will try to make it to 2 Broadway to see them as well.

FYI, will it be parked along Whitehall Street in front of the Bowling Green station or will it be nearer to the Whitehall Street station by Stone Street? I would like some clarification on where the bus would be parked for the event on Monday.

40 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

will the bus be crush loaded with fanners or only a handful will be there? 

Only if word of this spreads quick IMO since i'd assume most would probably be sleeping at 9 AM because those foamers probably don't have jobs to go to...

34 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

I won’t be able to make it to the final ride of the RTS bus on the M55 since I have other commitments that are overlapping (college classes). However I will try to make it to 2 Broadway to see them as well.

FYI, will it be parked along Whitehall Street in front of the Bowling Green station or will it be nearer to the Whitehall Street station by Stone Street? I would like some clarification on where the bus would be parked for the event on Monday.

Could always go out and find out like the rest of us.

3 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Okay, though I was just asking since I plan to make my trip as efficient as possible, as to spend less time going to the event and more time at the event.

All the possible places they could have them on display are right near each other so if you walk fast enough then you'll probably find the event soon enough. If you pull up those images from when they had the Enviro down there chances are it'll be the same spot so just locate that block on gmaps streetview or something

17 hours ago, Orion6025 said:

Only if word of this spreads quick IMO since i'd assume most would probably be sleeping at 9 AM because those foamers probably don't have jobs to go to...

I’ll be coming home after work during this time (since I got my raise)

On 5/3/2019 at 12:58 PM, trainfan22 said:

According to a post on buschat, an RTS will have an final run on Monday, May 6th on the M55 departing at 9:10AM from the midtown terminal, it will run in service to 2 Broadway where it will be on display from 10AM to 1PM. There will be two RTS from the museum fleet on display (Most likely 1201 and 5249).

Disregard this.... they will have an ceremony at Quill depot (doubt the public would be allowed to attend) then TWO RTS buses will run in service from Midtown to 2 Broadway and put on display until 1:30PM, no time was given for the start time of the M55 runs, credit goes to buschat.

At this point I would just wait at 2 Broadway between noon and 1:30PM for these buses to show up there lol.  

3 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

So to be clear, a Quill ceremony in the morning, followed by two RTS to 2 Broadway for display on Monday until 1:30PM?

That's what I heard, yes.

5 mins after 9:05 at the first M55 stop to South Ferry

Edited by Calvin

4 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Disregard this.... they will have an ceremony at Quill depot (doubt the public would be allowed to attend) then TWO RTS buses will run in service from Midtown to 2 Broadway and put on display until 1:30PM, no time was given for the start time of the M55 runs, credit goes to buschat.

At this point I would just wait at 2 Broadway between noon and 1:30PM for these buses to show up there lol.  

4 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

So to be clear, a Quill ceremony in the morning, followed by two RTS to 2 Broadway for display on Monday until 1:30PM?

Won't be two RTSs. Just one. 

33 minutes ago, Novabus 5000 said:

Won't be two RTSs. Just one. 

Just wanted to make sure as there are a lot of things I'm hearing about this run. I hearing from most people that a run will operate in the morning and be up for display at 2 Broadway tomorrow while a few other reliable sources say otherwise.

A ceremony will start first at 10AM at MJQ then the travel from start of M55 terminal 44 St until 2 Broadway. Then, display till the given time. 

Early is a suggestion

Edited by Calvin

On 5/1/2019 at 8:57 AM, Lil 57 said:

Is any of the LFS's at Yukon trackable yet? If they don't get tracking soon, you'll have alot of buses not showing up leading to complaints and lost ridership.

On 5/1/2019 at 9:43 AM, Lil 57 said:

I know, I was mainly talking about the non-bus faners and the regular riders who take the bus. If they don't see a bus on BusTime coming for a while, they might be more inclined to take an Uber or something. 

Bro, it’s not that serious. YU only has a handful of the new LFS. Not to mention, you have some SI folk who either don’t know how or care to use Bustime.

Edited by S78 via Hylan

20 minutes ago, S78 via Hylan said:

Bro, it’s not that serious. YU only has a handful of the new LFS. Not to mention, you have some SI folk who either don’t know how or care to use Bustime.

They are trackable now. Alot of people tend to use the mobile website instead of the app.

21 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

5241 is in service RIGHT NOW and is trackable on bustime!

5249 on display in front of 2 Broadway right now..

It's the end of an era, hopefully these buses see light again during the holidays when the (MTA) brings it's vintage fleet out.

Flatbush Update:

Yesterday morning a few of articulated buses were OOS "LFSA and XD60's " for maintenance. Some of the operators throughout the day had to pull out the xd40's sbs buses in order to start normal services on the SBS44+. 

Bus #6130 operator seat had issues where the seat would not go back all the way compared to the other XD's buses. I made sure the yard dispatcher contact the maintenance  department to take a look at  the seat. "Reminding me of an RTS operator seat situation"

Bus #6134 Starting to make Automatic Announcements and the Interior Screen is currently working on the SBS44+. I believe some of the XD60's that was OOS and at the shop yesterday were probably being updated for automatic announcement service on the bus.

Grand Ave, Fresh pond, and Yukon NG buses that has been transfer to the bush are all out in service throughout the Flatbush depot routes.

So far I have operated both the 5300's LFSA and the XD60's in service on the SBS44+, and I can say that based on my experience, The XD60's have a tendency to roll back a little bit when you first  accelerate  either at a traffic light or after disengaging both the interlock or parking brake. The LFSA 5300's operator seating position seems be much more comfortable compared to the XD60's, but the LFSA is a lot more heavier when operating through traffic and can cause the right knee discomfort after awhile. Backing up the XD60's is annoying, since every FT the bus rolls back the brakes automatically locks in. The passengers rear doors on the XD60's opens outwards towards the curb side and its very hard to tell when passengers are on the curb still trying to board versus on the Nova LFSA the doors opens from the inside and you can see everything on the mirrors on the curb side.