MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

7 minutes ago, Flatbush SBS Duece said:

Flatbush Update:

Yesterday morning a few of articulated buses were OOS "LFSA and XD60's " for maintenance. Some of the operators throughout the day had to pull out the xd40's sbs buses in order to start normal services on the SBS44+. 

Bus #6130 operator seat had issues where the seat would not go back all the way compared to the other XD's buses. I made sure the yard dispatcher contact the maintenance  department to take a look at  the seat. "Reminding me of an RTS operator seat situation"

Bus #6134 Starting to make Automatic Announcements and the Interior Screen is currently working on the SBS44+. I believe some of the XD60's that was OOS and at the shop yesterday were probably being updated for automatic announcement service on the bus.

Grand Ave, Fresh pond, and Yukon NG buses that has been transfer to the bush are all out in service throughout the Flatbush depot routes.

So far I have operated both the 5300's LFSA and the XD60's in service on the SBS44+, and I can say that based on my experience, The XD60's have a tendency to roll back a little bit when you first  accelerate  either at a traffic light or after disengaging both the interlock or parking brake. The LFSA 5300's operator seating position seems be much more comfortable compared to the XD60's, but the LFSA is a lot more heavier when operating through traffic and can cause the right knee discomfort after awhile. Backing up the XD60's is annoying, since every FT the bus rolls back the brakes automatically locks in. The passengers rear doors on the XD60's opens outwards towards the curb side and its very hard to tell when passengers are on the curb still trying to board versus on the Nova LFSA the doors opens from the inside and you can see everything on the mirrors on the curb side.

Which begs me one question. FB should of gotten all Kingsbridge buses from the rip and not Fresh Pond, Grand Avenue and Yukon buses. Sheesh, if problems persist, can they return back to respective depots?  

However, thank god the best mechanics come from East New York and Flatbush. Very confident that FB mechanics will make the necessary fixes on these buses. 

Noticed a few 76xx buses working the 44+ yesterday during the day. Also, a bit surprised that no new artics or the MJQ Replacements have shown up yet. 

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Which begs me one question. FB should of gotten all Kingsbridge buses from the rip and not Fresh Pond, Grand Avenue and Yukon buses. Sheesh, if problems persist, can they return back to respective depots?  

However, thank god the best mechanics come from East New York and Flatbush. Very confident that FB mechanics will make the necessary fixes on these buses. 

Noticed a few 76xx buses working the 44+ yesterday during the day. Also, a bit surprised that no new artics or the MJQ Replacements have shown up yet. 

Yup, Yesterday I had 6133 throughout my day until it was time for me to go home and I ended up giving the bus up to another operator that was waiting for an articulated bus to go out in service since there were no buses available at the time.

10 minutes ago, Flatbush SBS Duece said:

Yup, Yesterday I had 6133 throughout my day until it was time for me to go home and I ended up giving the bus up to another operator that was waiting for an articulated bus to go out in service since there were no buses available at the time.

Part of me thinks that the swapping of the LFSA’s and XD60’s is being done all wrong. (Above my pay grade) However, I’m starting to understand the maintenance side of things with these buses. However, when no extra buses come in you run into bottlenecks and a struggle to meet service for the day. 

41 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

The Xcelsiors would've been better off with inward opening doors, much faster opening and closing and like @Flatbush SBS Duece said, you have full visibility of the outside of the bus when in SBS mode. 

If they had wider rear doors, I'd agree.

Otherwise, plug style doors like on 5311 is the way to go.

48 minutes ago, FiveSix OneSeven said:

Is Tuskegee unwrapping buses for the M14 Select ? 5991 and one other TU XD60 is currently roaming about unwrapped.

Have any of those CS transfers entered local service yet? 

9 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

5991 is from Casey Stengel not Tuskegee 

ATM: I think he’s asking if TU is going to be apart of the M14SBS and it appears there’s an answer to that. Based on @FiveSix OneSeven observation those buses from CS could be headed to local service and not M14SBS which is directly for MQ. 

8 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

ATM: I think he’s asking if TU is going to be apart of the M14SBS and it appears there’s an answer to that. Based on @FiveSix OneSeven observation those buses from CS could be headed to local service and not M14SBS which is directly for MQ. 

Correct, I caught 5991 on the M14D East bound at roughly 7:50 this morning along with one other SBS XD60 with TU stickers. Thanks for the information!

8 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

11 minutes ago, FiveSix OneSeven said:

Correct, I caught 5991 on the M14D East bound at roughly 7:50 this morning along with one other SBS XD60 with TU stickers. Thanks for the information!

Don't mean to ask, but why did they decide to transfer units 6083-6093 (odd) and 6094 from Stengel. After all, I believe that all the units in the 6030-6108 batch do have the local scheme base paint. Correct me if I'm wrong.

23 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Don't mean to ask, but why did they decide to transfer units 6083-6093 (odd) and 6094 from Stengel. After all, I believe that all the units in the 6030-6108 batch do have the local scheme base paint. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Sir, I don’t work for the Department of Buses nor I don’t know 🤷🏽‍♂️ the decision process with how the buses are being moved. Therefore, this is above my pay grade.  

3 hours ago, JeremiahC99 said:

All buses in the 5987-6125 batch have SBS teal paint. Local buses have the blue and gold wrap applied over it,

1 hour ago, happy283 said:

since 4001, 4002 & 4011 are at MV

Will they be getting 4000, 4005, 4006, 4016, 4019 & 4041 from MQ once 7594-7614 are delivered to MQ?

Also add 7572 to that list as well from Jamaica. 7572-7614 makes 43 buses allotted to Mike Quill.

1 hour ago, Future ENY OP said:

That all depends. Only DOB will make that determination. Also do remember Manhattanville could also get buses from Kingsbridge and Gun Hill. Gun Hill should be next to receive delivery after Yukon (need confirmation on this)

I have a feeling that for Manhattanville it would be 64 2009-10 Orion VII Hybrids to replace their 2003-04 Orion VII Hybrids, another 62 to replace the 2004-05 Orion VII Hybrids, and 22 to replace half of their 2006-07 Orion VII Hybrids, with the other half replaced with 20 of the upcoming XDE40 order. The 2009-10 Orion VII Hybrids would be coming from Mike Quill Depot, who would be getting some 2007-2008 Orion VIIs from Tuskegee Airmen when they get their batch of the XDE40s, which could be up to 20 buses for them. Also some of the Orion VIIs could come from Yukon, Gun Hill, and Kingsbridge as well. That’s how I see it.

Edited by JeremiahC99

13 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Also add 7572 to that list as well from Jamaica. 7572-7614 makes 43 buses allotted to Mike Quill.

I have a feeling that for Manhattanville it would be 64 2009-10 Orion VII Hybrids to replace their 2003-04 Orion VII Hybrids, another 62 to replace the 2004-05 Orion VII Hybrids, and 22 to replace half of their 2006-07 Orion VII Hybrids, with the other half replaced with 20 of the upcoming XDE40 order. The 2009-10 Orion VII Hybrids would be coming from Mike Quill Depot, who would be getting some 2007-2008 Orion VIIs from Tuskegee Airmen when they get their batch of the XDE40s, which could be up to 20 buses for them. Also some of the Orion VIIs could come from Yukon, Gun Hill, and Kingsbridge as well. That’s how I see it.

It would more likely be 77 Orion Vii NGs (all of Yukons) and 77 XDe40s on top of the 64 NGs from the 3800s and 3900s

will 4000, 4005, 4006, 4016, 4019 and 4041 be permanently at Quill or are they going to MV considering they are getting some of the 4000s from Yukon. Also to mention those units will be a surplus at Quill when the XD40 Order is complete.

21 minutes ago, happy283 said:

It would more likely be 77 Orion Vii NGs (all of Yukons) and 77 XDe40s on top of the 64 NGs from the 3800s and 3900s

I could agree, but here’s the thing: East New York, Flatbush, Fresh Pond, Grand Avenue, Ulmer Park, Manhattanville, Mike Quill, Mother Clara Hale, Tuskegee Airmen, Gun Hill, Kingsbridge, Jamaica, and Queens Village are ALL potentially in line for next hybrid order. Therefore, this order would have to be broken down to a point where everyone would have to get at least 10 buses. Using some basic math to account for original 2014-15 assignments, the assignments for the 2018-19 units, and the need to provide adequate service, here’s what’s I think the assignments can come out to:

Manhattanville (20): Direct replacement for half of the 2006-07 Orion VIIs. Rest replaced by displaced 2009-10 Orion VII Hybrids from Mike Quill

Mike Quill (20): Direct replacement for all of their 2006-07 Orion VIIs.

Mother Clara Hale (20): Direct replacement for some of the 2006-07 Orion VIIs. Rest replaced by displaced 2007-08 Orion VII hybrids.

Tuskegee Airmen (20): for M31: Direct displacement of the 2007-08 Orion VII Hybrids to Mike Quill Depot and Mother Clara Hale Depot

East New York (20): Direct replacement for some 2006-07 Orion VII Hybrids. Other 33 units sent to MTA bus and displaced by new articulated units.

Flatbush (15): Direct displacement of some 2009-10 Orion VII Hybrids

Fresh Pond (15): Direct replacement for remaining 2005-06 Orion VII Hybrids not replaced by the XD40 order.

Grand Avenue (10): Direct displacement of some 2009-10 Orion VII Hybrids.

Ulmer Park (25): Displaces recently transferred 2014-15 XD40sback to their original Depots.

Gun Hill (20): Displaces remaining 2009-10 Orion VII Hybrids

Kingsbridge (20): Displaces remaining 2009-10 Orion VII Hybrids

Jamaica (10): Displaces remaining 2009-10 Orion VII Hybrids

Queens Village (60): Direct replacement for all of their 2006-07 Orion VII Hybrids.

This would ensure that everyone gets their share of buses for fleet replacement and provide adequate number of buses to supply rush hour service.

However, things can change with the upcoming orders.

Edited by JeremiahC99
Forgot to bold the Depots lol

10 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

I could agree, but here’s the thing: East New York, Flatbush, Fresh Pond, Grand Avenue, Ulmer Park, Manhattanville, Mike Quill, Mother Clara Hale, Tuskegee Airmen, Gun Hill, Kingsbridge, Jamaica, and Queens Village are ALL potentially in line for next hybrid order. Therefore, this order would have to be broken down to a point where everyone would have to get at least 10 buses. Using some basic math to account for original 2014-15 assignments, the assignments for the 2018-19 units, and the need to provide adequate service, here’s what’s I think the assignments can come out to:

Manhattanville (20): Direct replacement for half of the 2006-07 Orion VIIs. Rest replaced by displaced 2009-10 Orion VII Hybrids from Mike Quill

Mike Quill (20): Direct replacement for all of their 2006-07 Orion VIIs.

Mother Clara Hale (20): Direct replacement for some of the 2006-07 Orion VIIs. Rest replaced by displaced 2007-08 Orion VII hybrids.

Tuskegee Airmen (20): for M31: Direct displacement of the 2007-08 Orion VII Hybrids to Mike Quill Depot and Mother Clara Hale Depot

East New York (20): Direct replacement for some 2006-07 Orion VII Hybrids. Other 33 units sent to MTA bus and displaced by new articulated units.

Flatbush (15): Direct displacement of some 2009-10 Orion VII Hybrids

Fresh Pond (15): Direct replacement for remaining 2005-06 Orion VII Hybrids not replaced by the XD40 order.

Grand Avenue (10): Direct displacement of some 2009-10 Orion VII Hybrids.

Ulmer Park (25): Displaces recently transferred 2014-15 XD40sback to their original Depots.

Gun Hill (20): Displaces remaining 2009-10 Orion VII Hybrids

Kingsbridge (20): Displaces remaining 2009-10 Orion VII Hybrids

Jamaica (10): Displaces remaining 2009-10 Orion VII Hybrids

Queens Village (60): Direct replacement for all of their 2006-07 Orion VII Hybrids.

This would ensure that everyone gets their share of buses for fleet replacement and provide adequate number of buses to supply rush hour service.

However, things can change with the upcoming orders.

First off kingsbridge, Gun Hill, Ulmer Park, Grand Av, Flatbush, Tuskeege Airmen and Jamaica dont need them which leaves Queens Village, East New York, Fresh Pond,  Clara Hale, Quill and Manhattanville

77 - Manhattanville

25 - Quill

33 - Clara Hale

25 - ENY

60 - QV

55 - FP

Gentlemen: THIS IS NOT AN PREDICTION side to where buses are going. That is the job of the department of buses. All I’m saying is simply let the Depatment of buses make the decisions. We may predict the situation. However, mileage is one of the biggest factors to where buses get moved!! Thank You. @JeremiahC99 and @happy283

Edited by Future ENY OP
Edit

2 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Gentlemen: THIS IS NOT AN PREDICTION side to where buses are going. That is the job of the department of buses. Also, can we reserve this side for actual transfers please!  Thank You. @JeremiahC99 and @happy283

This is for the fleet and depots. The future fleet could be included. There is a separate page for moves and transfers.