MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, happy283 said:

First off kingsbridge, Gun Hill, Ulmer Park, Grand Av, Flatbush, Tuskeege Airmen and Jamaica don't need them which leaves Queens Village, East New York, Fresh Pond,  Clara Hale, Quill and Manhattanville

77 - Manhattanville

25 - Quill

33 - Clara Hale

25 - ENY

60 - QV

55 - FP

You are under the impression that every single bus in this order are for direct replacement of the Orion VII OGs, which by the way, that is NOT how these orders go. Just because these buses are set to replace the last set of Orion VII OG Hybrids doesn't mean that the depots that have them are getting exact new buses in return. Every single order we have had in the past has had a batch of buses going to a depot that does not have the fleet those buses are to replace. For example, the 5987-6125 buses were meant to directly replace the 2002-03 New FLyer D60HF buses. Casey Stengel did not have D60HFs at that time, but they ended up getting a batch of 43 XD60s. Those XD60s then went to Quill Depot to replace the D60s there. This shows that potential deliveries can end up anywhere, even if that depot does not have that bus that is being replaced.

Another factor in the bus assignments is ulterior motive for the depots. It currently appears that the MTA wants Gun Hill and Kingsbridge in the Bronx Division to be be all or mostly LFS and LFSAs and all of Brooklyn Division to be mostly Xcelsiors (the Orion VII hybrids would still be a part of the Brooklyn Fleet). Therefore, having Gun Hill and Kingsbridge on the list would guarantee the last of the hybrids leave the Bronx for Brooklyn, replacing the 2005-06 Orion VIIs at Fresh Pond Depot. In addition, the order would also be a possibly split between New Flyer and Nova. Nova can get up to 110 units, which will operate in depots in Queens and the Bronx. Therefore, Gun Hill and Kingsbridge would need those LFS HEVS Nova has up for grabs, making Gun Hill and Kingsbridge getting this order inevitable.

Things can change at the moment, but as @Future ENY OP said, let the Department of Buses make the decisions on where the buses will go. Only they have the final say on which buses go where, and it is not within our control. Who knows? Maybe they will replace Jamaica Depot with Casey Stengel Depot on the deployment list once they get ready to rebuild that depot, even is Casey Stengel does not have any buses to replace. If they go to a depot that you feel doesn't need them, then sorry. That's how it is in Department of Buses.

10 hours ago, happy283 said:

First off kingsbridge, Gun Hill, Ulmer Park, Grand Av, Flatbush, Tuskeege Airmen and Jamaica dont need them which leaves Queens Village, East New York, Fresh Pond,  Clara Hale, Quill and Manhattanville

77 - Manhattanville

25 - Quill

33 - Clara Hale

25 - ENY

60 - QV

55 - FP

@JeremiahC99's list of depots is correct and was confirmed by East New York previously.

10 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

@JeremiahC99's list of depots is correct and was confirmed by East New York previously.

He said potentially. It seems unlikely that each depot only gets 10-20 each. Usually buses are delivered in higher numbers especially when certain depots haven't got a fleet update in years.

11 hours ago, happy283 said:

He said potentially. It seems unlikely that each depot only gets 10-20 each. Usually buses are delivered in higher numbers especially when certain depots haven't got a fleet update in years.

Most depots getting only 10-20 buses in a large order is possible. Not to mention that the contract explicitly said that they would operate in depots in the Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, and Manhattan. On page 198 of the January 2019 NYCT committee materials (link here: http://web.mta.info/mta/news/books/pdf/190122_1030_transit-bus.pdf), it said "The 275 next-generation diesel-electric hybrid buses will operate out of depots in the Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, and Manhattan". This order would also potentially be split between New Flyer and Nova, with 165 XDE40s for Brooklyn and Manhattan and 110 LFS HEVs for the Bronx and Queens. It also looks like GH and KB are planning to be all LFS under the split option. Whether that goes down or not, Gun Hill, Kingsbridge, Tuskegee Airmen, and all the other depots that you you believe don't need this order getting it is inevitable.

Also, I recommend you read the post below to see what you missed on the 275 diesel-electric hybrid development:

6 hours ago, T J Trainman said:

Smfh. How much space you going to waste? 

No offense, but are you talking to me?

On 5/10/2019 at 7:51 PM, Lil 57 said:

Did the (MTA) govern their buses back to 45 mph? was on a new LFS on the S89 and it reached 45 mph on Richmond Ave.

It might just be the blue-and-yellow LFS buses (except for 8231, which is still capped at 50 mph). I thought those buses were capped at 43 mph, but yes, they are capped a little higher and it just might be a Yukon thing.

More a curiosity post, starting with buses ordered 1953 and later:

1. Which numbers have never been used or allocated by the MTA for bus numbers? (Off the top of my head, I can identify 1859, 6956-6999 and 7938-7999.)

2. Which numbers (or group of numbers) was used the latest for the first time?

On 5/11/2019 at 10:40 PM, JeremiahC99 said:

Most depots getting only 10-20 buses in a large order is possible. Not to mention that the contract explicitly said that they would operate in depots in the Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, and Manhattan. On page 198 of the January 2019 NYCT committee materials (link here: http://web.mta.info/mta/news/books/pdf/190122_1030_transit-bus.pdf), it said "The 275 next-generation diesel-electric hybrid buses will operate out of depots in the Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, and Manhattan". This order would also potentially be split between New Flyer and Nova, with 165 XDE40s for Brooklyn and Manhattan and 110 LFS HEVs for the Bronx and Queens. It also looks like GH and KB are planning to be all LFS under the split option. Whether that goes down or not, Gun Hill, Kingsbridge, Tuskegee Airmen, and all the other depots that you you believe don't need this order getting it is inevitable.

Also, I recommend you read the post below to see what you missed on the 275 diesel-electric hybrid development:

No offense, but are you talking to me?

You are forgetting something here. The 275 bus order you see here are to replace the next order of O7HYB in the 6490-6905 category. They are the next oldest buses after the first round of O7HYB-Green signage (6365-6489), in which is getting replaced as we speak. Those in orange are close to 15 years old mind you. A few of these buses have been scrapped due to accidents (6536, 6853). 

17 hours ago, aemoreira81 said:

More a curiosity post, starting with buses ordered 1953 and later:

1. Which numbers have never been used or allocated by the MTA for bus numbers? (Off the top of my head, I can identify 1859, 6956-6999 and 7938-7999.)

2. Which numbers (or group of numbers) was used the latest for the first time?

You forgot 2931-2999 (although 2969 is used for The Honeymooners show), 8568-8580, 8583-8599 are now used for the very first time. 

8705-8749 was last used on the TDH-5303A of the 1967 order. 

3475-3499 was last used on the 1984 RTS order as well as 3784-3799. 

4279-4299 have not been use on the NYCTA roster but used on the MTABC roster for a very short time. 

Thats all I can think of.......... for now

50 minutes ago, FLX9304 said:

You forgot 2931-2999 (although 2969 is used for The Honeymooners show), 8568-8580, 8583-8599 are now used for the very first time. 

4279-4299 have not been use on the NYCTA roster but used on the MTABC roster for a very short time. 

how about  0021-0089, 0091-0099 and 191-196 never used?

Edited by limitednyc

3 hours ago, FLX9304 said:

You are forgetting something here. The 275 bus order you see here are to replace the next order of O7HYB in the 6490-6905 category. They are the next oldest buses after the first round of O7HYB-Green signage (6365-6489), in which is getting replaced as we speak. Those in orange are close to 15 years old mind you. A few of these buses have been scrapped due to accidents (6536, 6853). 

I’m actually aware of that. In fact, the current delivery schedule on the first page does call for retirement of the first 158 of the 6490-6689 buses by the end of this year, with the rest of the OGs going by 2021. The list of Depots I posted a few days ago are correct, and in the winter fleet review I quoted. Those 158 OGs would be replaced by displaced NGs from the Bronx and SI going to Fresh Pond and Manhattanville Depot. In fact it looks like this order will directly replace the 2006-07 units.

On 5/10/2019 at 7:51 PM, Lil 57 said:

Did the (MTA) govern their buses back to 45 mph? was on a new LFS on the S89 and it reached 45 mph on Richmond Ave.

Why are buses even speed capped. They use highway stretches on several routes and seems a bit silly to cap the speed.

23 hours ago, FLX9304 said:

What about Orion V CNGs 8568-8582?

/

Yesterday I spotted 217 freshly repainted working the Q38 with a sign inside the bus towards the back reading 

"217

8-year engine change"

Along with NYCT stickers even though it's at MTA Bus.

I was once told all the C40s with NYCT stickers were capped at a lower speed despite some of those operating out of Bus co.

3 minutes ago, happy283 said:

Why are buses even speed capped. They use highway stretches on several routes and seems a bit silly to cap the speed.

And if they're deheading on the highway they can slow down traffic