MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

1 hour ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

i must interject. 100 street has the 14a/d because they lost approx. 4 runs (or more) when they lost their piece of the m79 when it went sbs. 100 street needs those 4 plus runs on their run board for the attached RDO's. if/when they lose the 14, those runs/RDO's must be replaced. IMO, this is where the M35 to 100 street rumor comes in. don't know how true it is, but it's been swirling around ever since two-six closed. 

To me honestly.. The 35 should of went to 100th or MCH instead of Quill.. DOB preference & Politics..

PS: 126th closed a long while ago. I wonder what they (MTA) is going to do with that building.. Manhattan Division is already crowded. The division definitely needs another depot. Possibly re-activate Amsterdam. However, things are a bit complex in regards to Amsterdam. Soon enough the Brooklyn Division will be crowded or if not already..

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

The 35 should of went to 100th or MCH instead of Quill.. DOB preference & Politics..

never felt Hale ever wanted the 35 tbh... hell two-six wasn't a fan of the 35 either, but they (along with Hale) are/were fans if the S/S RDO's. i don't understand what Quill has to gain from obtaining even the smallest portion of the 35... there's enough S/S RDO's in that place without the 35 (M8/9/22, etc) the M79 runs at 100 were 201-207. by the time the m79 sbs was about to begin, the 100 street runs were 201-204. DOB did an ok job overall keeping a certain level of runs/certain amount of RDO's at 100... even with the monumental chopping of the m101 run board (M101/2/3) over a short period of time. which is why maintaining runs from other lines is crucial. the m96/106 for the m15 local for example... even the m86 for m31 was basically an even trade, RDO-wise. there has to be some sort of adequate replacement for the 4 runs that will be lost. just from a pull in/out standpoint, a Quill 35 doesn't make sense. some would argue that the M60 at Quill makes no sense, but the DOB is king... ok, but i can understand that opposed to a 35 @ Quill. ultimately, Quill is HQ and their facility can handle it, but it shouldn't be that b/o's are forced to work there for RDO's on a less than desirable line like the 35. people forget that the m35 was 100 street's years ago.

49 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

126th closed a long while ago. I wonder what they (MTA) is going to do with that building

jack shit. there's still power & water in that building. recently, i took a personal on a M100 run i was assigned. first time i been in two-six since it closed. i assumed that someone from Hale (or 100 street) would be assigned there to maintain cleanliness, since both yards' operators take personals in two-six (as well as property protection, the SLD's or the occasional M100/KB B/O's)

a while back my ex wife (100 street b/o) warned me that apparently no caretakers (cleaners) were assigned to the building, which should be a union issue, especially for the females. no one should have to hold their bladders until they get to damn near south ferry because of a unclean baño

3 hours ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

jack shit. there's still power & water in that building. recently, i took a personal on a M100 run i was assigned. first time i been in two-six since it closed. i assumed that someone from Hale (or 100 street) would be assigned there to maintain cleanliness, since both yards' operators take personals in two-six (as well as property protection, the SLD's or the occasional M100/KB B/O's)

a while back my ex wife (100 street b/o) warned me that apparently no caretakers (cleaners) were assigned to the building, which should be a union issue, especially for the females. no one should have to hold their bladders until they get to damn near south ferry because of a unclean baño

I gotta say the conditions for you guys are rough. I used to ride with my uncle and he had a bathroom for us to use usually by 8th Street.  At that time, he did the M101, 102 or 103. Since I started my advocacy group, when I take express bus trips, I have to be VERY strategic. I gave a bunch of coffee shops I frequent for espresso and then I use the bathroom, but it’s still tough. I also take several breaks. You guys don’t have that luxury. lol

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I gotta say the conditions for you guys are rough. I used to ride with my uncle and he had a bathroom for us to use usually by 8th Street.  At that time, he did the M101, 102 or 103. Since I started my advocacy group, when I take express bus trips, I have to be VERY strategic. I gave a bunch of coffee shops I frequent for espresso and then I use the bathroom, but it’s still tough. I also take several breaks. You guys don’t have that luxury. lol

well, TECHNICALLY there's no limit as to how many personals an operator can take... however, you can definitely be questioned as to your medical fitness. to your point, it is imperative that one manages their diet and consumption, as well as not planting one's self solely in that seat... bad for the circulatory system. gotta find that balance. it's rough, but diligence is imperative. 

1 minute ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

well, TECHNICALLY there's no limit as to how many personals an operator can take... however, you can definitely be questioned as to your medical fitness. to your point, it is imperative that one manages their diet and consumption, as well as not planting one's self solely in that seat... bad for the circulatory system. gotta find that balance. it's rough, but diligence is imperative. 

You know what I meant. I’m not on the job, so after I take a trip on the QM6 or whatever line I check out to take notes on in the iPad, if I want to take a long lunch, so be it. lol

5 hours ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

never felt Hale ever wanted the 35 tbh... hell two-six wasn't a fan of the 35 either, but they (along with Hale) are/were fans if the S/S RDO's. i don't understand what Quill has to gain from obtaining even the smallest portion of the 35... there's enough S/S RDO's in that place without the 35 (M8/9/22, etc) the M79 runs at 100 were 201-207. by the time the m79 sbs was about to begin, the 100 street runs were 201-204. DOB did an ok job overall keeping a certain level of runs/certain amount of RDO's at 100... even with the monumental chopping of the m101 run board (M101/2/3) over a short period of time. which is why maintaining runs from other lines is crucial. the m96/106 for the m15 local for example... even the m86 for m31 was basically an even trade, RDO-wise. there has to be some sort of adequate replacement for the 4 runs that will be lost. just from a pull in/out standpoint, a Quill 35 doesn't make sense. some would argue that the M60 at Quill makes no sense, but the DOB is king... ok, but i can understand that opposed to a 35 @ Quill. ultimately, Quill is HQ and their facility can handle it, but it shouldn't be that b/o's are forced to work there for RDO's on a less than desirable line like the 35. people forget that the m35 was 100 street's years ago.

Here’s the thing that boggles me and this is the fault of the DOB. Why have buses deadhead extremely crosstown to operate the 35 where as you have 100th, and MCH within minutes of each other. 

Hell, I don’t even know why the M96/106/116 are all at MHV mean while 100th is right near all those routes. I get it that is for run distribution for MHV and the division. The whole Manhattan Division is a complete mess. You know it better than me @EastFlatbushLarry   

5 hours ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

Part of this is like the TA did wrong by closing two-six. We’ve said this in the past that the whole division is screwed up. If the TA spent more money on maintaining facilities we wouldn’t have issues of two-six closing creating a some what balance in the Upper Manhattan Division with the 15/96/106/116 to two-six 

Thats the biggest downfall for the TA by not addressing the issue at two-six. When Hudson and West Side closed it was bad but not to the magnitude like two-six. 

2 minutes ago, limitednyc said:

the pronlem id that hale can handle more buses but the community doesn't want them.

To me honestly. MCH should of only gotten the M15 and M35. 100th has no business working the 15 local and the 14A&D. 

15 should be full-time local and SBS for MCH. This is why the division to me is so crowded. However, I have to remember that the DOB runs this operation and they are the experts to what routes are suited for the division. 

Im just the kid that sees things differently and gotta understand that politics play a role in these decisions. 

7 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

To me honestly.. The 35 should of went to 100th or MCH instead of Quill.. DOB preference & Politics..

PS: 126th closed a long while ago. I wonder what they (MTA) is going to do with that building.. Manhattan Division is already crowded. The division definitely needs another depot. Possibly re-activate Amsterdam. However, things are a bit complex in regards to Amsterdam. Soon enough the Brooklyn Division will be crowded or if not already..

126th will never be opened again. It is built on a African burial ground. It is slated for re-development after the community visioning process is completed. Housing, shops, and a memorial for the buried there. Some of those originally buried there were moved to Woodlawn cemetery. I know this as fact before i worked with the visioning team and Community Board 11

1 minute ago, Riderrep said:

126th will never be opened again. It is built on a African burial ground. It is slated for re-development after the community visioning process is completed. Housing, shops, and a memorial for the buried there. Some of those originally buried there were moved to Woodlawn cemetery. I know this as fact before i worked with the visioning team and Community Board 11

Copy that. That’s what I wanted to know what they wanted to do on the property. Good looking on the information. 

You don’t mind me asking when the community visioning will be complete? 

3 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Copy that. That’s what I wanted to know what they wanted to do on the property. Good looking on the information. 

It is still ongoing. After I left NYC last year they were still trying to work with the community on the number of affordable housing units. Est Harlem is undergoing a major transformation. With the slated 2nd ave extension up to 125th the area is in a residential boom. Here is the link to the 126th bus depot project

http://www.cb11m.org/126th-street-bus-depot/ 

7 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

They also has a rendering display early this month

https://www.nycedc.com/project/east-126th-harlem-african-burial-ground-project

59 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Here’s the thing that boggles me and this is the fault of the DOB. Why have buses deadhead extremely crosstown to operate the 35 where as you have 100th, and MCH within minutes of each other. 

Hell, I don’t even know why the M96/106/116 are all at MHV mean while 100th is right near all those routes. I get it that is for run distribution for MHV and the division. The whole Manhattan Division is a complete mess. You know it better than me @EastFlatbushLarry   

closing hudson pier & Walnut started this whole unevenness within the entire MaBSTOA division to begin with, which has been stated. Amsterdam not being available even as a minor duplicate of current day MCH operations is hurting uptown run distribution, which is understated. two-six closing in my opinion was only a big deal for TA Brooklyn because they lost runs/RDO's plus an uptown option (seeing as two-six was a civil-service yard and was always regarded as brooklyn's 6th depot before Grand Avenue was built) see, TA Brooklyn operators at one point were able to pick two-six for the summer months for runs on the 66 & 72 (mostly), then return to their respective yards in September... two-six closed = no more summer getaway. management claims to have given Local 100 back what they lost with Grand Avenue being in place, but it's definitely debatable. anyway, MCH not operating at full capacity hurts the MaBSTOA... again, community opposition is understood, yet facts are facts. i firmly believe MCH will operate at full capacity when this all electric fleet business takes affect (btw, i believe part of this all electric fleet business is to appease communities that have complaints regarding air quality near depots located in their dense residential neighborhoods (100 street, Hale, Ulmer Park, etc)) i gotta be honest, piecing together MaBSTOA regarding RDO & run distribution is a task no one truly wants... and Lord help us if/when Local 100 comes together and brings EC, YO, BP, LG, SC, CP (or any other former PBL that decides to change union affiliation) into the mix... another mess. we STILL can't have flawless system picks between TA Brooklyn & MaBSTOA after the 2002 consolidation contract.. so i can only imagine. point being: Local 100 is a mess. as I've said, Brooklyn is no better. no one is taking firm leadership and setting a positive course. 

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

You know what I meant. I’m not on the job, so after I take a trip on the QM6 or whatever line I check out to take notes on in the iPad, if I want to take a long lunch, so be it. lol

amen. ultimately, we all in some way know what we signed up for when paid to apply for the gig. however, the human condition should always be noted, as you stated. and there's ways to get around not making your layovers or your swing as you are well aware... as long as it doesn't come at the customers expense or isn't a blatant delay of service, of course 😂

20 minutes ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

amen. ultimately, we all in some way know what we signed up for when paid to apply for the gig. however, the human condition should always be noted, as you stated. and there's ways to get around not making your layovers or your swing as you are well aware... as long as it doesn't come at the customers expense or isn't a blatant delay of service, of course 😂

Over the years, I've seen a little bit of everything.  We've had a few drivers RUN off of the bus at 230th and Broadway for the Dunkin' Donuts. No words were needed... lol

25 minutes ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

closing hudson pier & Walnut started this whole unevenness within the entire MaBSTOA division to begin with, which has been stated. Amsterdam not being available even as a minor duplicate of current day MCH operations is hurting uptown run distribution, which is understated. two-six closing in my opinion was only a big deal for TA Brooklyn because they lost runs/RDO's plus an uptown option (seeing as two-six was a civil-service yard and was always regarded as brooklyn's 6th depot before Grand Avenue was built) see, TA Brooklyn operators at one point were able to pick two-six for the summer months for runs on the 66 & 72 (mostly), then return to their respective yards in September... two-six closed = no more summer getaway. management claims to have given Local 100 back what they lost with Grand Avenue being in place, but it's definitely debatable. anyway, MCH not operating at full capacity hurts the MaBSTOA... again, community opposition is understood, yet facts are facts. i firmly believe MCH will operate at full capacity when this all electric fleet business takes affect (btw, i believe part of this all electric fleet business is to appease communities that have complaints regarding air quality near depots located in their dense residential neighborhoods (100 street, Hale, Ulmer Park, etc)) i gotta be honest, piecing together MaBSTOA regarding RDO & run distribution is a task no one truly wants... and Lord help us if/when Local 100 comes together and brings EC, YO, BP, LG, SC, CP (or any other former PBL that decides to change union affiliation) into the mix... another mess. we STILL can't have flawless system picks between TA Brooklyn & MaBSTOA after the 2002 consolidation contract.. so i can only imagine. point being: Local 100 is a mess. as I've said, Brooklyn is no better. no one is taking firm leadership and setting a positive course. 

I had to read this 2x and I fully agree with this. 2002 definitely messed up everything between TA Brooklyn Division and MaBSTOA. 

Leadership never took action to address those underlying issues within the divisions. 

47 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Just a thought, couldn't Amsterdam give up at the very least 80% of the museum fleet and distribute it to places like Quill, Jamaica, Grand Avenue, and even Eastchester to make Amsterdam at least a bit more operational?

Agreed! 

Amsterdam could create some balance in the Upper Manhattan Division. Without the museum fleet how much can AMS hold? 

1 hour ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Just a thought, couldn't Amsterdam give up at the very least 80% of the museum fleet and distribute it to places like Quill, Jamaica, Grand Avenue, and even Eastchester to make Amsterdam at least a bit more operational?

It's best to store the museum buses indoors so they aren't exposed to the elements. 

5 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Over the years, I've seen a little bit of everything.  We've had a few drivers RUN off of the bus at 230th and Broadway for the Dunkin' Donuts. No words were needed... lol

yes, we're fairly familiar with that DD *cough cough* Kingsbridge Depot *cough cough* taking personals off the Bx1 😂

2 minutes ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

yes, we're fairly familiar with that DD *cough cough* Kingsbridge Depot *cough cough* taking personals off the Bx1 😂

I have never been in there to be honest, but I do see the Bx1 buses coming around from Riverdale and 231st deadheading or whatever.