MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

Knowing the TA's history, they will get more Series instead of Parallels, lost cause I guess...

But they might end up putting the Hybrids in Manhattan Only: I would like to think the learned their lesson with the Series hybrids we have in the outer boroughs.

What lesson? They got most of those issues fixed when they were getting at their worst. There hasn't been an incident since the two big fires, and the NGs haven't had a big issue since 2009.

Plus, the new Series-E HybriDrive from BAE is far better than the tech we currently have. The Allison Parallel HybriDrive technology hasn't changed much in 5 years, and they too can crap out. The buses in Philadelphia and Seattle crap out with those HybriDrives and they go through a lot of stop-and-go scenarios.

Personally, it wouldn't matter what kind of hybrid drive you stick into a bus, it's a matter of how it will take on the environment it will be in. If they were to go the way of fuel savings, the Series-E is the way to go, especially since the hybrid drive shuts off the engine when the bus is at a stop.

Edited by Cait Sith

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With all the artics being delivered, I have a feeling some NGs would be displaced to NYCT but I could be wrong.

The XD60'S are only running for the q10 bus based out of JFK Depot. I don't know what will the JFK local routes would get.

I think in the near future, JFK would have all hybrids.

The XD60'S are only running for the q10 bus based out of JFK Depot. I don't know what will the JFK local routes would get.

I think in the near future, JFK would have all hybrids.

...Well actually, in term of the MTABC as a whole, they also currently testing them on Q6 route this week as well. It's been said that the route also needs artic. But not only JFK: LaGuardia's Q52/53 for the upcoming Woodhaven SBS and Baisley Park's Q111/113/114 routes. It's not like all 128 Buses were just for JFK, No no no lol

What lesson? They got most of those issues fixed when they were getting at their worst. There hasn't been an incident since the two big fires, and the NGs haven't had a big issue since 2009.

Plus, the new Series-E HybriDrive from BAE is far better than the tech we currently have. The Allison Parallel HybriDrive technology hasn't changed much in 5 years, and they too can crap out. The buses in Philadelphia and Seattle crap out with those HybriDrives and they go through a lot of stop-and-go scenarios.

Personally, it wouldn't matter what kind of hybrid drive you stick into a bus, it's a matter of how it will take on the environment it will be in. If they were to go the way of fuel savings, the Series-E is the way to go, especially since the hybrid drive shuts off the engine when the bus is at a stop.

Shutting the engine off at a stop wouldn't be a good idea for this city or this company. If anything they should remove the rev matching program. the engine only needs to idle in a hybrid bus. It revs now because drivers were getting caught speeding. They started to blame it on the them not being able to tell how fast they were going because they couldn't hear the engine (-_-)...

...Well actually, in term of the MTABC as a whole, they also currently testing them on Q6 route this week as well. It's been said that the route also needs artic. But not only JFK: LaGuardia's Q52/53 for the upcoming Woodhaven SBS and Baisley Park's Q111/113/114 routes. It's not like all 128 Buses were just for JFK, No no no lol

have they tested on the q64 yet.

Can't use artics on the q6 unless the bus stop for 165st terminal is moved. No way can artics safely go in and out that terminal. The standard buses are having problems with getting in and out now so putting artics there would be a disaster.

Can't use artics on the q6 unless the bus stop for 165st terminal is moved. No way can artics safely go in and out that terminal. The standard buses are having problems with getting in and out now so putting artics there would be a disaster.

There is a plan to move the Q6 terminal in order for the line to be able to accommodate artics.

Why do we keep bringing up the Q6 and artics? We already know they can't go into the terminal. Most likely I can see the Q17 and Q6 swapping terminals.

1. As mentioned before, the Q6 is planned to get artics, and also is going to move the terminal in order to run them.

2. There is an increase of artics going to MTA bus (156 including 5364) and because of that increase it seems like the Q6 is definitely getting the artics, perhaps even before the Q53.

1. As mentioned before, the Q6 is planned to get artics, and also is going to move the terminal in order to run them.

2. There is an increase of artics going to MTA bus (156 including 5364) and because of that increase it seems like the Q6 is definitely getting the artics, perhaps even before the Q53.

Eh the Q6 getting artics before the Q53 nope not likely SBS needs to be implemented on Woodhaven Blvd ASAP (even though I hear Woodhaven residents says it makes no sense) I see Q17 and the Q6 are most likely going to swap terminals

Eh the Q6 getting artics before the Q53 nope not likely SBS needs to be implemented on Woodhaven Blvd ASAP (even though I hear Woodhaven residents says it makes no sense) I see Q17 and the Q6 are most likely going to swap terminals

LGA is still getting altered for artics, so the earliest XD60s can be on the Q53 is late 2016-early 2017. If the Q53 was in LGA now, it could get them earlier. But is isn't, so the artics and SBS is gonna have to wait.

The  SBS idea on Woodhaven has been put off till further notice.  It would solve one problem (make bus service more efficient) but hurt regular traffic....alternate routes on residential streets because in spots there would be only one lane for them on the inner lanes for regular traffic and there are issues over the prohibition of left turns.

Edited by Bill from Maspeth

The SBS idea on Woodhaven has been put off till further notice. It would solve one problem (make bus service more efficient) but hurt regular traffic....alternate routes on residential streets because in spots there would be only one lane for them on the inner lanes for regular traffic and there are issues over the prohibition of left turns.

Now that's a nice major update. Right now Woodhaven doesn't need SBS. That (MTA) bus order should been for NYCT while bus company irons out the issue of traffic around Woodhaven and other issues. This spells a showdown between the NIMBYS and (MTA).

I think the q52/q53 does not need Select Bus Service because they both run limited. My idea would be just put artics on those routes.

Then what's the point of having the q11 and q21. Those buses would lose ridership when the SBS Happens. But either way.

The MTA thinks Select Bus Service is the way to go. Until someone brings something new and effective to the table the MTA will keep that same theory that SBS will be the solution to bunching speed up service.

In my opinion putting articulated buses on those line will be the first and simple step with improving service.

With all the artics being delivered, I have a feeling some NGs would be displaced to NYCT but I could be wrong

It is possible, but all the old buses would have to be retired first. Not only that, but Transit really wont need any with all the new buses on the horizon.

Yep. The first of the OG's are already up for retirement, and can actually stick around a bit longer. They actually lasted a little longer than MTA expecting. Ironically, they expected the CNG's to last longer than their hybrid counterparts. That's proven to be the opposite. lol

Shutting the engine off at a stop wouldn't be a good idea for this city or this company. If anything they should remove the rev matching program. the engine only needs to idle in a hybrid bus. It revs now because drivers were getting caught speeding. They started to blame it on the them not being able to tell how fast they were going because they couldn't hear the engine ( -_-)...

Facts! and lol at not hearing that loud ass engine that revs just like a turbine.

Do anybody know when will the new flyer recall end.

Seeing as there are 2,245 of them, it won't be anytime soon. There are steering, structural, and electrical recalls on XD's, LF's, and LFR's.

However, to answer your question, a recall ends once the issue has been addressed, and every vehicle affected has been repaired.

Correct. 5366, and 5367 were out on the Q10 earlier, and 5365 is out there right now.

LGA is still getting altered for artics, so the earliest XD60s can be on the Q53 is late 2016-early 2017. If the Q53 was in LGA now, it could get them earlier. But is isn't, so the artics and SBS is gonna have to wait.

LG couldn't really get them earlier because a majority of the buses won't be delivered until the end of the year anyway. the TA artic order was delayed time and time again for nearly 2 years. 

The  SBS idea on Woodhaven has been put off till further notice.  It would solve one problem (make bus service more efficient) but hurt regular traffic....alternate routes on residential streets because in spots there would be only one lane for them on the inner lanes for regular traffic and there are issues over the prohibition of left turns.

Yep, just artics for now, and that won't likely happen until this time next year, or the end of this year at the earliest.

Bp should have their artics within a month or two

And I also heard some D60HF's might be staying at MTA bus

Baisley's delivery timetable depends on the outcome of pilot testing for the first 4 buses. It was extended from 90 days to 6 months pending issues with 5364 and the recalls. Unless MTA changes it back, it's going to be a while before BP has anything more than a training bus or two.

And ye, there is no need for the buses to go back to TA, and will likely retire at BC.