MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

I posted this in another thread but my theory is the 7000s are due for their 8 year upgrade, so some new LFS buses are being diverted there to cover for those being sent up to Grand Ave. A couple of 7000s are already up at Grand Ave

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, FmrCUSAOp said:

I posted this in another thread but my theory is the 7000s are due for their 8 year upgrade, so some new LFS buses are being diverted there to cover for those being sent up to Grand Ave. A couple of 7000s are already up at Grand Ave

But at the same time the entire islands LFS fleet is due for their 4 year upgrade. 

3 hours ago, FmrCUSAOp said:

Also bigger theory is that Castleton can't make score during the PM rush when school is open. They're getting 25 new Novas, so that surely would squash that problem. 

1 hour ago, UTC Bus Roster said:

I had 7813 @ FP & 7849-50 @ WF. 

Wasn't the order supposed to go to 7875 with 7851-75 going to MTA Bus?

The 25 buses for MTA Bus may be changed from diesel to diesel-electric hybrid for a future bid. The diesel-electric hybrid option for those 25 buses hasn’t been exercised yet.

42 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

SOURCE............  

Around the Horn told me on May 29th that it is an option that they have, but have not exercised yet. Go back a few pages:

Also, this was posted from East NY a while ago on the first page before he took down the part describing all future bus orders.

7 hours ago, SevenEleven said:

Also bigger theory is that Castleton can't make score during the PM rush when school is open. They're getting 25 new Novas, so that surely would squash that problem

Will that mean the the reaming NGs will stay at Yukon? Or will LFS buses be shifted to SI from other depots to get the NGs out of the island when school starts?

26 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

Will that mean the the reaming NGs will stay at Yukon? Or will LFS buses be shifted to SI from other depots to get the NGs out of the island when school starts?

NGs are leaving regardless. That's not up for debate. How the 77 buses are split between Yukon and Castleton is the discussion. Gun Hill is due another 25 unless that changes as well. But NGs are leaving, 2015 LFS buses might be shifted around the island. 

34 minutes ago, Calvin said:

It seems that when the 6500s touched LGA area, the units are running but slowly drops like flies meanwhile JFK still has theirs up and running. 

(MTA) Bus reliablity has improved big time. Realize that those are some of the oldest buses in the fleet. Who knows, maybe LGA got the worst of the 6500s. Or perhaps maybe JFK has the upper hand in maintenance. But LGA gets my respect, they were the last to run the 1996 RTS. Both depots had 1996, LGA ran them last. Today, both depots got 6500s, perhaps JFK will be the last one to run them.

Edited by Q23 via 108

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 6:38 AM, Gleasonbus7560 said:

Fuel for thought maybe Staten island will get the rest of the LFS order lol, would love that,,Staten island streets are all beat up,maybe they will spread those 7000's to Yukon ,this is the Department of buses you the MTA everything is subject to change.

Spreading the 7000's to Yukon is a bad idea.  I doubt if that would be done because 7000-7089 is a unique fleet with their own replacement parts.  It makes no sense to spread out the parts inventory.  Inefficient cost wise.  

1 hour ago, Calvin said:

It seems that when the 6500s touched LGA area, the units are running but slowly drops like flies meanwhile JFK still has theirs up and running. 

My understanding was that the buses are going to retire soon enough anyway so they might as well retire ones that have major/expensive failures. Maybe JFK’s are performing better or they choose to do heavier maintenance on them. Regardless, LGA is suffering in the bus availability department. They’ve been borrowing CP C40LF again occasionally as of late

2 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

NGs are leaving regardless. That's not up for debate. How the 77 buses are split between Yukon and Castleton is the discussion. Gun Hill is due another 25 unless that changes as well. But NGs are leaving, 2015 LFS buses might be shifted around the island. 

But remember, Yukon needs all of their buses for the school year and since Castleton are keeping them to help fill their fleet Yukon is going to need to find buses elsewhere, either take the rest of GH's order or get those 25 buses by swaps.

56 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

But doesn't ruin the whole thing of getting extra buses to run more service in the fall?

Possibly. However, not the case. 

If this 77 bus order split is for Yukon and Castleton. It appears that Yukon’s allotment is about complete according to yesterday’s news officially CAS getting Yukon’s backend of the order. 

9 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

I'm wondering, if Yukon gets 41 LFS buses and Castleton gets 25 LFS buses, where would the other 11 LFS buses go? Maybe Charleston to have all 3 SI depots get new LFS buses?

Well if Castleton needs 25 more buses to make service, maybe they're technically getting Gun Hills second batch. So maybe these last 61 buses are for Staten Island. 

1 hour ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Well if Castleton needs 25 more buses to make service, maybe they're technically getting Gun Hills second batch. So maybe these last 61 buses are for Staten Island. 

Technically no. Gun Hill’s batch is different. So Castleton is cutting into Yukon’s batch. Remember Yukon is due 77. They (Yukon) already had 42 buses in before the change. 

Whats being done already is Castleton is sending 25 LFS to Yukon in exchange for the new fleet they are receiving from Yukon.

Another thing to add is that we don’t know what the Department of buses will do. Everything has been a bit wacky and weird with these bus moves. 

1 hour ago, Future ENY OP said:

Technically no. Gun Hill’s batch is different. So Castleton is cutting into Yukon’s batch. Remember Yukon is due 77. They (Yukon) already had 42 buses in before the change. 

Whats being done already is Castleton is sending 25 LFS to Yukon in exchange for the new fleet they are receiving from Yukon.

Another thing to add is that we don’t know what the Department of buses will do. Everything has been a bit wacky and weird with these bus moves. 

Right but that doesn't make sense to just swap old for new just to give Castleton new buses. I thought Castleton was struggling to make service so they needed more buses? 

Also, no one knows what is going on, so isn't that what this is site is for? To discuss possibilities? Ruins the fun  just waiting around to see what happens, it's ok to have opinions and predictions as long as we're not saying something is final. 

27 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Right but that doesn't make sense to just swap old for new just to give Castleton new buses. I thought Castleton was struggling to make service so they needed more buses? 

Also, no one knows what is going on, so isn't that what this is site is for? To discuss possibilities? Ruins the fun  just waiting around to see what happens, it's ok to have opinions and predictions as long as we're not saying something is final. 

Or they could also have issues with the 2011 and or 2015 fleets so they need newer units to lessen maintenance burden for a lil bit lmao