MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

It probably has something to do with balancing out the fleet age at both depots.

13 minutes ago, Jdog14 said:

Or they could also have issues with the 2011 and or 2015 fleets so they need newer units to lessen maintenance burden for a lil bit lmao 

41 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Right but that doesn't make sense to just swap old for new just to give Castleton new buses. I thought Castleton was struggling to make service so they needed more buses? 

Also, no one knows what is going on, so isn't that what this is site is for? To discuss possibilities? Ruins the fun  just waiting around to see what happens, it's ok to have opinions and predictions as long as we're not saying something is final. 

Given the discussion about Castleton and Yukon and the 2018-19 LFS fleet, I honestly think that if Castleton (and to some extent, all of Staten Island) has a hard time with bus service, what should've done was return to the original assignments for the fleet where both Castleton and Charleston were to get 15 of the new units a piece and Yukon get the other 47. Some of the old buses would be moved around to balance fleet amounts. More specifically:

49 old LFS, 15 new LFS (64) Charleston

59 old LFS, 15 new LFS (74) Charleston

90 old LFS, 47 new LFS (137) Yukon

This ensures that everyone has some new buses to make service at any given time, but it is nice for Castleton to get a batch of new buses too. However, honestly, it doesn't matter if SI depots get 15 or 25 or 75 new buses. What good does it do if they don't even maintain their fleet properly, especially Castleton and Yukon, which serves parts of the Island with no train alternative (the Staten Island Railway serves the eastern and Southern Shores)? Even some of the SI bus transfers to the mainland had road calls after they arrived.

Look at Brooklyn. That division, especially Flatbush, has gotten new buses over the last decade or two and boy have they lasted a very long time. the RTS buses out of EN, FB, and UP have retired at age 21 in a very decent condition, and the 2004-05 OG Hybrids out of EN and FP are now starting to reach 15 years of service, and are not showing signs of slowing down. You know what the key is: proper maintenance. If SI wants to make their batch of buses last 15 years as well, then they better get their maintenance practices up to speed like the rest of the city.

27 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

It probably has something to do with balancing out the fleet age at both depots.

Looks like we got a winner. Good point ATM. 

1 hour ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Right but that doesn't make sense to just swap old for new just to give Castleton new buses. I thought Castleton was struggling to make service so they needed more buses? 

Also, no one knows what is going on, so isn't that what this is site is for? To discuss possibilities? Ruins the fun  just waiting around to see what happens, it's ok to have opinions and predictions as long as we're not saying something is final. 

If you read my last sentence in regards to the Department of buses making these weird and wacky moves. I wasn’t making any predictions. Sometimes, you gotta just follow the trail. Of course we all don’t know what will happen. This is the Department of buses we are talking about sir. 

1 hour ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

I thought Castleton was struggling to make service so they needed more buses? 

I’ve been seeing and tracking CA buses on YU and CH routes in the middle of the tush frequently so unless CA suddenly got trippers on those routes i suspect that they’re doing fine right now.

57 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

Mileage. Those 2011s (and i assume 2015s to an extent) must have racked up a decent amount of mileage compared to the rest of the system (granted their routes seem to be less extreme than say Charleston...) so a few 2019s might be needed to average things out

46 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

If only @East New York was still here. He's probably viewing from a guest POV and laughing at us all sitting here confused and anxious while he knows exactly what switched up and what will be the final outcome LMAO.  

Too bad no one is updating the first page of this thread.

45 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Given the discussion about Castleton and Yukon and the 2018-19 LFS fleet, I honestly think that if Castleton (and to some extent, all of Staten Island) has a hard time with bus service, what should've done was return to the original assignments for the fleet where both Castleton and Charleston were to get 15 of the new units a piece and Yukon get the other 47. Some of the old buses would be moved around to balance fleet amounts. More specifically:

49 old LFS, 15 new LFS (64) Charleston

59 old LFS, 15 new LFS (74) Castleton

90 old LFS, 47 new LFS (137) Yukon

Charleston isn’t getting part of the new order. There’s only 2 routes that’s active and doesn’t run much compared to Castleton and Yukon

3 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

Castleton is getting 25 buses from Yukon's batch.

You guys can stop with these conspiracy theories now. Get a hold of yourselves.

Until someone breaks it down we're allowed to make predictions. That's what this site is for. 

Thanks for the update, that wasn't so hard right? 

3 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Until someone breaks it down we're allowed to make predictions. That's what this site is for. 

Just a reminder that we don't have to have people reporting on updated assignments. Some of you got babied to the point that you expect them to tell us everything, which is part of the reason @East New York left the site and moved on.

We have lives outside of transit. Either wait and be patient or don't ask in the first place.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

18 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Just a reminder that we don't have to have people reporting on updated assignments. Some of you got babied to the point that you expect them to tell us everything, which is part of the reason @East New York left the site and moved on.

We have lives outside of transit. Either wait and be patient or don't ask in the first place.

Well he didn't leave because of me I'll let you know that right now. You're making a problem because myself and others are trying to figure things out logistically, and getting mad. I'm not sitting here asking everyday what's going where. I don't ask anyone nothing, if something isn't clear across the board that's where I come in and try to figure it out. All I said was now that ENY isn't here, we don't get spoon fed the information anymore, and that he's probably laughing at us. I'm not trying to stop people from doing their everyday livelihood things for an update. 

I don't usually talk like this but I don't see why everyone tryna come at me for making a few suggestions. Also the suggestions I've been mentioning weren't updated assignments like you first said, so idk why a little discussion can't go on in a thread. 

39 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

While you are correct on that, some of y'all were going waaaaaaaaaaaay too hard with Castleton getting 25 buses and were trying to solve the case like an episode of Law & Order SVU.

As for that little snarky remark....

I, along with a bunch of others on this forum(especially ENY, who also left to take care of things revolving around his own life), have lives to live. We can't provide information to you guys at all times of the night and day when we have other things to worry about. Lance has also left the forums to focus on things with his life. I haven't been on that often these days and some people have noticed.

So yeah, is it hard? Nowadays, yes, especially when I don't have the time like I used to to post things and share updates.

Some of ya'll need to stop being so impatient and rabid when it comes to wanting more updates, you can figure things out if you just let it work itself out. When the information comes, it will be posted in due time when some of us also have the time to post.....

No one is also entitled to getting updates on anything, so you guys better appreciate it while you still have it coming.

Edited by Cait Sith

28 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

East New York didn’t leave the forums for the reason of people being spoiled, in fact he didn’t leave. I believe him and the real launches or relaunched TTMG with info of agencies around the country. 

4 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

East New York didn’t leave the forums for the reason of people being spoiled, in fact he didn’t leave. I believe him and the real launches or relaunched TTMG with info of agencies around the country. 

On the contrary, he did, and he's moving on to bigger and better things.

That's all I'm going to say on that note.

Edited by Cait Sith

5 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

While you are correct on that, some of y'all were going waaaaaaaaaaaay too hard with Castleton getting 25 buses and were trying to solve the case like an episode of Law & Order SVU.

That's all that needed to be said. 

@XcelsiorBoii4888 my comment wasn't directed towards you I'm just saying in general. Also not gonna touch on the ENY situation either but even though people asking wasn't a big reason on why he left, it still contributed a bit on his decision.

I just don't wanna be put in that pool of people who are impatient to find information, because I do not do that and I never rush anyone to post anything, all I do is give my little theories based on any logistics that might come up. 

I hate when I give a little idea and everyone says "wait and see", well if no one knows why can't I make a prediction in the thread made for it? Its not false information I'm not saying "oh this is going here this is going there". 

@Cait Sith reason why I made that remark because it seemed like you were coming after me talking about "stop with the conspiracy theories, get a hold of yourselves", and as if I was forcing you to give us an update. 

Listen, I feel like there's madd unnecessary tension between the people on this site for no reason, and everyone gets grouped into the same category. Yall should know how I am based on how I've been posting all these years, I shouldn't be getting "disciplined" for something that was nothing. 

12 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

I just don't wanna be put in that pool of people who are impatient to find information, because I do not do that and I never rush anyone to post anything, all I do is give my little theories based on any logistics that might come up. 

I hate when I give a little idea and everyone says "wait and see", well if no one knows why can't I make a prediction in the thread made for it? Its not false information I'm not saying "oh this is going here this is going there". 

@Cait Sith reason why I made that remark because it seemed like you were coming after me talking about "stop with the conspiracy theories, get a hold of yourselves", and as if I was forcing you to give us an update. 

Listen, I feel like there's madd unnecessary tension between the people on this site for no reason, and everyone gets grouped into the same category. Yall should know how I am based on how I've been posting all these years, I shouldn't be getting "disciplined" for something that was nothing. 

You're not getting disciplined for anything except for that remark, which my response was justified.

My post was aimed at everyone going nuts over Castleton getting new LFSs and going hard with the theories. If you're going to be the one to feel some type of way about that post, then it is what it is.

The way folks have been asking for updates these days is giving off a sense of entitlement that most people on here do not like, especially since ENY has left. You guys need to take a chill pill and relax when it comes to wanting updates. It'll come in due time.

The last few pages have gotten ridiculous with all of the arguments and theories.

Edited by Cait Sith

I’ve taken a few pointers from the guys who update the forums day by day. I’m operating under a very limited basis with two jobs under the helm and no days off. This past week, I was in NYC on a LTD, but only got a few photos (especially the XDs still in WF). 

I will let you know a week ahead of when I will return 

For those that are keeping score, here's what haven't been delivered to any depots yet.

2019 Nova Bus LFS: 8504-8507, 8642, 8646, 8698-8699, 8701, 8715-8754
2019 New Flyer XD40: 7786-7787, 7848(supposedly at Zerega), 7850-7905
2019 New Flyer XD60: 6126, 6129, 6161-6162, 6166-6182, 6190, 6193, 6195-6196, 6198-6199, 6202-6233, 6235-6286

2019 New Flyer XDE40 9510, the latest XDE40 is still in the system.

8698-8699, 8701, 8715, 8717, 8719-8720, 8729, 8736, 8740, are at the New Jersey Service Center.

8504-8507, 8642, 8646, 8721, 8723-8725, 8728, 8730-8734, 8737-8739, 8741-8754 are up at Plattsburgh and various locations upstate, some of which are at a graphics vendor nearby.

8726 is currently at Northeastern Bus Rebuilders, likely getting the new paint and decals.

Most of the New Flyers are either up at the New Flyer plants or at the vendor facilities.

The MTA has started the process of procuring more electric buses. The RFP for 45 40ft Electric Buses is out in the wild. Anyone wanting to take bets on who's getting this order? I'm banking on New Flyer....

The projected boroughs to get these buses.....Brooklyn, Queens & The Bronx.

Also, some spec details have come out for the new order of XDE40s....which includes plug-style rear doors(like 5311). It appears that they are making preparations for all-door boarding for the future.

Edited by Cait Sith

2 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

The MTA has started the process of procuring more electric buses. The RFP for 45 40ft Electric Buses is out in the wild. Anyone wanting to take bets on who's getting this order? I'm banking on New Flyer....

Same here. It would be obvious that this order is going to go to New Flyer. Not only have they been qualified, but New Flyer does a damn good job in delivering the rate the (MTA) wants them.

4 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

Also, some spec details have come out for the new order of XDE40s....which includes plug-style rear doors(like 5311). It appears that they are making preparations for all-door boarding for the future.

Finally they're going to use plug-style rear door for the buses. They should've done this long ago. What took them so long?

Is it also possible to retrofit like ALL of the recent buses to have plug-style doors, such as the XD40s? Could be pretty useful.

And are they not splitting the hybrid order between New Flyer and Nova? I was hoping for an all-NovaBus LFS Gun Hill and Kingsbridge depot.

4 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Same here. It would be obvious that this order is going to go to New Flyer. Not only have they been qualified, but New Flyer does a damn good job in delivering the rate the (MTA) wants them.

Finally they're going to use plug-style rear door for the buses. They should've done this long ago. What took them so long?

Is it also possible to retrofit like ALL of the recent buses to have plug-style doors, such as the XD40s? Could be pretty useful.

And are they not splitting the hybrid order between New Flyer and Nova? I was hoping for an all-NovaBus LFS Gun Hill and Kingsbridge depot.

We don't even have Nova Hybrids like we do with the XDE40s, so the chances of them splitting the order is very, very, very low.

The XDE40s will also not be going to The Bronx.....

Just now, Cait Sith said:

The XDE40s will also not be going to The Bronx.....

They're not? Are all the Bronx hybrids (minus the few at Eastchester) being displaced by the LFS, because I'm not sure if they may even have enough to cover the needs for the Bronx now, and once the redesign is implemented, given that they will need to increase service on the Bx28, reroute the Bx30 off Gun Hill Road, extend the Bx24 to Locust Point to replace the Bx8, increase service on the Bx13, and do a whole bunch of other things for the redesign that is proposed in the Draft Plan (which by the way are all really good plans)?

5 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

They're not? Are all the Bronx hybrids (minus the few at Eastchester) being displaced by the LFS, because I'm not sure if they may even have enough to cover the needs for the Bronx now, and once the redesign is implemented, given that they will need to increase service on the Bx28, reroute the Bx30 off Gun Hill Road, extend the Bx24 to Locust Point to replace the Bx8, increase service on the Bx13, and do a whole bunch of other things for the redesign that is proposed in the Draft Plan (which by the way are all really good plans)?

The XDE40s are projected to be direct replacements for the vast majority of the 2004-2005 Orion VII Hybrid batch. But of course, things can change, they could go to The Bronx, but I don't really see that happening.

And no, not every NG will be displaced from The Bronx.

Edited by Cait Sith