MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a random thought I had and I guess this is a question for the industry folks here: 

Would the new express bus order be delivered faster if they were normal D4500s instead of the D45CRTLEs? Like is there a time penalty for going with the new technology? 

Would it be in the MTA's best interest to possibly spilt the order and have the first 100 buses be D4500CTs than the new CRT LE especially if the green sign MCIs start crapping out soon? 

3 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

Just a random thought I had and I guess this is a question for the industry folks here: 

Would the new express bus order be delivered faster if they were normal D4500s instead of the D45CRTLEs? Like is there a time penalty for going with the new technology? 

Would it be in the MTA's best interest to possibly spilt the order and have the first 100 buses be D4500CTs than the new CRT LE especially if the green sign MCIs start crapping out soon? 

Truthfully (NJT) has a 6 year procurement with MCI to build D4500CT’s. Right now they are on year 4. Procurement ends in 2021/2022. TA doing things backwards. 

17 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Truthfully (NJT) has a 6 year procurement with MCI to build D4500CT’s. Right now they are on year 4. Procurement ends in 2021/2022. TA doing things backwards. 

I'm not sure what that has to do with anything, honestly.

21 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

To be completely honest, I rather they take their time with those buses instead of rushing them. The 2012s-2013s were sort of rushed in comparison to the 2008s, even with all of the faults with the exhaust.

Considering that the contract has yet to be officially awarded....anything is possible. Personally, I prefer an MCI over a Prevost.

5 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

I'm not sure what that has to do with anything, honestly.

To be completely honest, I rather they take their time with those buses instead of rushing them. The 2012s-2013s were sort of rushed in comparison to the 2008s, even with all of the faults with the exhaust.

Considering that the contract has yet to be officially awarded....anything is possible. Personally, I prefer an MCI over a Prevost.

Any word on when the contract will be finalized? We needs those buses yesterday!

5 hours ago, King Transit said:

The B46, proposed since a year ago

Yeah, I'll believe it when I see a document where Byford signs off on it. As of now, I didn't see anything but the Bx35, Q12, and B38 in the Documents signed off. So B46 SBS Articulation this Fall seems like a clear No.

25 minutes ago, WestFarms36 said:

Yeah, I'll believe it when I see a document where Byford signs off on it. As of now, I didn't see anything but the Bx35, Q12, and B38 in the Documents signed off. So B46 SBS Articulation this Fall seems like a clear No.

However. bus stops have been modified. Winter Pick 2020 seems more ideal for the 46+

Edited by Future ENY OP

5 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

However. bus stops have been modified. Winter Pick 2020 seems more ideal for the 46+

That's what I was also thinking, but lets see how Quill and MCH get along with the XD60 Order, and see if they're going to let FB Breathe as well.

14 minutes ago, WestFarms36 said:

That's what I was also thinking, but lets see how Quill and MCH get along with the XD60 Order, and see if they're going to let FB Breathe as well.

Absolutely I totally agree with this assessment. Right now the way things are most of this order is almost done. Delivery has been rather slow. However, we’ll see how delivery commences within the next few weeks. 

12 hours ago, WestFarms36 said:

Speaking of "this fall", it should be either late August or September(especially when MJQ gets their XE60s to give back FB's XD60s). The B46 +SBS stops seemed to finish their rebuilts within 97% along the Utica to Malcolm X Blvd corridor. And we had #6103 tested along the B46 +SBS(depicted by Metro Railfan on YT), the day after B82 +SBS had #6138 clearance tested along that route. And speaking of "XE60", there was a NFI worker(Matt N) who commented on my XE60 demo vid saying that they are currently finishing up the process of building the XE60 lead unit for us in NYC.

Edited by King Transit

2 hours ago, King Transit said:

Speaking of "this fall", it should be either late August or September(especially when MJQ gets their XE60s to give back FB's XD60s). The B46 +SBS stops seemed to finish their rebuilts within 97% along the Utica to Malcolm X Blvd corridor. And we had #6103 tested along the B46 +SBS(depicted by Metro Railfan on YT), the day after B82 +SBS had #6138 clearance tested along that route. And speaking of "XE60", there was a NFI worker(Matt N) who commented on my XE60 demo vid saying that they are currently finishing up the process of building the XE60 lead unit for us in NYC.

So you saying that the 46 is gonna be artic this fall, when it was already established that it wasn’t?!

12 minutes ago, NBTA said:

So you saying that the 46 is gonna be artic this fall, when it was already established that it wasn’t?!

THANK YOU. if children could read, it would make this place flow so much simpler. ONLY the B38, Q12 & Bx35 are being converted. NOT THE 46SBS. no possibility of that for the fall. winter pick 2020 means that when the system pick beings in January 2020, it's highly PROBABLE that the 46sbs will see artics. even that's not guaranteed. jeez. 

11 minutes ago, King Transit said:

Umm...@WestFarms36 was saying it and others before too. But the 46 +SBS articulation may start before fall, and may still use the amount of XD60s they have because of the LFSAs coming back by MCH.

My dude, you just wanna be the first one out there when it becomes artic right? Wait until Winter, and maybe it’ll become artic, and like FlatbushLarry said, even that’s not guaranteed, so just wait within the year of 2020, for now, we are only confirmed for 3 routes, so do me a favor, and WAIT.

1 minute ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

I rather not trust a apprentice from Quill at this time and just wait for a more reliable source.

uggh. unbelievable. if he really knew how it works here... he would really hush up. everything needs to be in black & white (memorandum(s)) there's no sneak attack articulated conversions EVER. it involves logistics in & around the depot(s) involved, up to & including shifting operations (artic parking & potential parking, etc) run boards, how many runs will be cut, if runs will be cut in the first place... point being: that takes a significant amount of time & planning that can't be done in the month of August only to be properly prepared for early September. don't give fools credibility, that's all I'm saying