Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
East New York

MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

Is there any news/time frame when the express bus contract will be awarded?

I'm hoping that it's a split contract and the 50 for NYCT are AD Double Deckers.

28 minutes ago, IAlam said:

Is there any news/time frame when the express bus contract will be awarded?

I'm hoping that it's a split contract and the 50 for NYCT are AD Double Deckers.

The double deckers can only fit in two locations: the Charleston Depot In Staten Island, and the Mother Clara Hale Depot In Manhattan. The latter Depot has no express routes. 

From what I’ve heard, they will not be pursuing the double decker order due to that limitation. This may change though it may be unlikely.

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, JeremiahC99 said:

The double deckers can only fit in two locations: the Charleston Depot In Staten Island, and the Mother Clara Hale Depot In Manhattan. The latter Depot has no express routes. 

From what I’ve heard, they will not be pursuing the double decker order due to that limitation. This may change though it may be unlikely.

And you heard this from where?

55 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Exactly. These young foamers don’t know no better. Instead of waiting for the moderators to give the official word on the express bus order. They out here making conspiracy theories. SMH 🤦🏽‍♂️ 

• LMAO! 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Exactly. These young foamers don’t know no better. Instead of waiting for the moderators to give the official word on the express bus order. They out here making conspiracy theories. SMH 🤦🏽‍♂️ 

They are not the only ones with info or common sense you know don’t believe everything out of moderators mouth. Y’all are really clout chasers thirsty to break info or be the first when it’s drivers or SLD giving you your info as well 🤷🏽‍♂️🤷🏽‍♂️

SB the common sense is the height restrictions on the DD that does take a rocket scientist to know. So he may not have your “official” word  or who ever he used his common sense as most garages can not house a 12+ High bus.

Edited by Nova Fly Guy
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, RedLine said:

Busfanning is toxic

So is this post, which contributes nothing.

• LMAO! 5
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 3

16 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Interestingly enough, I may have gotten it from this video:

And this is actually a video from Cait Sith's second YouTube Channel, ShaneAkACaitSith810. In the page for this video, he adds in the description:

There's been a lot of talk that the MTA will not pursue a future order with Alexander Dennis for the Enviro500 SuperLo because the bus can only fit in two depots, Charleston Depot in Staten Island & Mother Clara Hale Depot in Manhattan.

Now I know that I shouldn't trust YouTube as a credible source, but seeing that Shane is a moderator here, I will trust them. I also know that circumstances have changed since that statement and video has been posted, but we will see.

• Confused 2

On 8/7/2019 at 11:00 PM, JeremiahC99 said:

That didn't stop double deckers from running on the M1 during the late 1970s. (The British Leyland buses had originally been assigned to the M4 and M5 at 132nd Street Depot, but they quickly fell apart because the Irish maintainers refused to touch them, so they were moved to 146th Street Depot.)

On August 8, 2019 at 7:48 AM, Future ENY OP said:

Jeremiah is correct. There was an Alexander Dennis rep riding that bus the same day I was and he mentioned the same height restrictions.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/8/2019 at 7:48 AM, Future ENY OP said:

It's actually not a conspiracy theory.......he's right.

Charleston and MCH are the only two depots that can actually fit them inside and out. They'd bottom out at some of the other depots. The New Flyer Viking also had similar issues when it came to height restrictions.

Some of ya'll gotta slow your role.

6 hours ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

That didn't stop double deckers from running on the M1 during the late 1970s. (The British Leyland buses had originally been assigned to the M4 and M5 at 132nd Street Depot, but they quickly fell apart because the Irish maintainers refused to touch them, so they were moved to 146th Street Depot.)

So what does that have to do with current times? With, you know, depots being modernized, having height restrictions at some places and all.....

39 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

Jeremiah is correct. There was an Alexander Dennis rep riding that bus the same day I was and he mentioned the same height restrictions.

Yep, I spoke to that same rep when NJ Transit had the demo for show at NJTHQ. Cool guy.

• Upvote 1

Other than depots, the only lines they can fit on are the SIM8 and the 22. They did clearance testing throughout the island before it went into service. 

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, SevenEleven said:

Other than depots, the only lines they can fit on are the SIM8 and the 22. They did clearance testing throughout the island before it went into service. 

Thanks to the issue of height restrictions, I'd have to put my support behind articulated buses, which can also be used with comparatively little issue on other routes if push comes to shove.

That’s disappointing to hear. SI could really benefit from the additional capacity. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

So what does that have to do with current times? With, you know, depots being modernized, having height restrictions at some places and all.....

The post I was replying to suggested that double deckers cannot be assigned to Mother Hale Depot because it is physically impossible to run them on local routes. I merely pointed out that double deckers can be used on local routes because they have in the past. 

49 minutes ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

The post I was replying to suggested that double deckers cannot be assigned to Mother Hale Depot because it is physically impossible to run them on local routes.

I'm not typically one to defend the guy, but you just lied about what he said. At no point did he imply (or explicitly claim) that physical limitations prevent them from running on the local routes, only that Hale lacks the intended service type for the buses.

4 hours ago, Lex said:

At no point did he imply (or explicitly claim) that physical limitations prevent them from running on the local routes, only that Hale lacks the intended service type for the buses.

Logic should dictate that double deckers are intended only for express service because it's physically impossible to use them on local routes. 

10 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

It's actually not a conspiracy theory.......he's right.

Charleston and MCH are the only two depots that can actually fit them inside and out. They'd bottom out at some of the other depots. The New Flyer Viking also had similar issues when it came to height restrictions.

Some of ya'll gotta slow your role.

8 hours ago, SevenEleven said:

At this point, with all the restrictions on where they can run, such as depot and route clearances, wouldn't be just more logical to have the entire 307 express bus order go to MCI the MCI D45 CRT LE coaches and call it a day? They can run them on any route without any clearance issues.

7 minutes ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

Logic should dictate that double deckers are intended only for express service because it's physically impossible to use them on local routes. 

Where are you getting this from?

They were considered for express service for the same reason many agencies opt for articulated buses on local routes (and the rush Bx6 local here).

35 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

At this point, with all the restrictions on where they can run, such as depot and route clearances, wouldn't be just more logical to have the entire 307 express bus order go to MCI the MCI D45 CRT LE coaches and call it a day? They can run them on any route without any clearance issues.

The consideration for AD buses was just my opinion not a fact or an actual known consideration at this time.

1 hour ago, JeremiahC99 said:

It's between MCI and Prevost (and I personally wouldn't be surprised if it gets split)

6 hours ago, nuyorican said:

With the Q12 going artic, how many buses will they get? When will the deliveres start for CS

It'll most likely be artics moving from other depots to fill in the Q12s needs (Correct me if I'm wrong).

1 hour ago, NBTA said:

It'll most likely be artics moving from other depots to fill in the Q12s needs (Correct me if I'm wrong).

I believe they’re getting some from the Bronx, just like Grand Avenue.