MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, JeremiahC99 said:

But why JG? Don’t they have like three central maintenance facilities to do the work? Isn’t GA one of them?

Grand Avenue might be fixing the ones they have while Jackie Gleason might be speeding up the process. After all, these buses will be put back in service two days from now.

1 hour ago, Snorunts said:

Grand Avenue might be fixing the ones they have while Jackie Gleason might be speeding up the process. After all, these buses will be put back in service two days from now.

Look like Grand send 4771 back to The Bronx. It’s at Kingsbridge. From the previous posts it appears that The Bronx is keeping a few XD60’s? 

1 hour ago, JeremiahC99 said:

But why JG? Don’t they have like three central maintenance facilities to do the work? Isn’t GA one of them?

GA-ENY-ZEREGA (CMF’s).

However, Gleason has plenty of storage room out of all the depots in the Brooklyn Division. So if they are doing some of the work there it technically makes sense. 

1 hour ago, JeremiahC99 said:

It’s not uncommon for other depots to help repair buses that are not theirs. Queens Village repaired Orion V’s that came from Staten Island back in 2012/2013. I also believe at one point CP fixed RTS’s and they only use CNG buses for their local/limited service.

I just find it hilarious that when a decent amount of buses are being transferred from Staten Island and the Bronx, they usually have to be fixed up. I wouldn’t be surprised if those 2013 XD60’s that CS just received from The Bronx are in the shop right now getting repaired. 

1 hour ago, Snorunts said:

on top of that, this may be a way for JG mechanics & maintainers to obtain overtime/extra work considering their fleet is relatively brand new. Zerega, ENY & Grand Avenue must have their hands full, so the next logical choice is to seek assistance from yards that may have not hit a overtime threshold as yet 

16 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

It’s not uncommon for other depots to help repair buses that are not theirs. Queens Village repaired Orion V’s that came from Staten Island back in 2012/2013. I also believe at one point CP fixed RTS’s and they only use CNG buses for their local/limited service.

I just find it hilarious that when a decent amount of buses are being transferred from Staten Island and the Bronx, they usually have to be fixed up. I wouldn’t be surprised if those 2013 XD60’s that CS just received from The Bronx are in the shop right now getting repaired. 

any of those 47xx's are definitely receiving light to moderate body work... i would assume some form of chassis as well

1 hour ago, Future ENY OP said:

Look like Grand send 4771 back to The Bronx. It’s at Kingsbridge. From the previous posts it appears that The Bronx is keeping a few XD60’s? 

Only units kept are: 4741-4753 and 4775-4798. The rest may depend. 

4 hours ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Grand Avenue is overflowing with buses to fix while maintaining their own. There's a few XD60s at Zerega at this moment. ENY is a dub.

And at this rate, it doesn't matter where they send the buses to, as long as they can work on them and they can get them on the road ASAP.

4 hours ago, Snorunts said:

I think JG is repairing some of them because Bronx beat them up.... That’s what I heard at least.

They're repairing them because those units sat for basically the entire summer, so they'd need work done.

5 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

Grand Avenue is overflowing with buses to fix while maintaining their own. There's a few XD60s at Zerega at this moment. ENY is a dub.

And at this rate, it doesn't matter where they send the buses to, as long as they can work on them and they can get them on the road ASAP.

They're repairing them because those units sat for basically the entire summer, so they'd need work done.

Not to mention the B82SBS is not busting at the seams so it’s no rush.

Edited by Nova Fly Guy

I know that this is looking a bit down the line, but would the MTA ever consider articulation joint replacements at mid-life rehab to extend the life of the current articulated bus fleet to 17-18 years? Keep in mind that bus 1200 is already 10 years old. (The XN60 fleet is likely tank-limited to 20 years, and so that should take an XN60 to close to tank expiration.)

32 minutes ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

You thought wrong.  A numerical block was saved for these.  Nobody ever said they were here.

Obviously after the first comment I got that, thanks for the head up though. Very missing leading info as you can’t register a vehicle with out a VIN commercial vehicle are not exempt either.

so even being at the vendor which was stated would mean they are built already?? Unless we have ghost buses. I don’t care just stating the obvious overcompensate of egos on here with lack of real information. You are winging it just like the foamers you consistently try to attack for asking questions or making opinions.

Edited by Nova Fly Guy