MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

21 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Those new Novas at Flatbush are probably loans, I doubt the TA wants to continue stocking parts for three different bus fleets at FLA (Orions, Novas and Flyers) . When its all said and done the Artic fleet at FLA will most likely be 100% XD60s.

As a busfan I wish theses new Novas would stay at FLA along with the XD60s but logically I don't think it will happen.

I totally agree with you on this one! 

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

The MTA is gonna "attempt" to retire buses by the 12 yr mark now so let's see what happens.

12 years? It seems pretty early to retire buses like that. Some companies retired their buses in the 15-20 year mark, or rarely more. However, most companies due retire their buses at the 12 year mark, so they can make room for newer, and better efficient buses, or retiring them for unknown reasons. The MTA should at least retire buses at the 18 year mark, similar to their 1998-99 Orion Vs. However, this is just my opinion though.

16 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

I saw it coming off a big tow truck at that lot by JFK this morning. Ran into it completely by accident too, since I was there to pick someone up off a red eye flight.

Did you observe any other artics there? The 6170’s- XD60’s should be in town at this time also. 

1 hour ago, Future ENY OP said:

Did you observe any other artics there? The 6170’s- XD60’s should be in town at this time also. 

Didn't notice any other MTA buses; just some Port buses. That's not to say they weren't there, but the XE60 stuck out like a sore thumb since it was raised up on the biggest tow truck (flatbed?) I'd ever seen in my life.

On 9/28/2019 at 2:10 PM, hrt4u2c said:

Is it possible, that Nova-LFS buses for Q60 and all bus routes as it's ramp / lift door are very wide and no tight turns? For a wheelchair user with restricted hand usage and wide wheelchair, it's easy to enter and exit through Nova-LFS's ramp / lift door. 

Unless that route gets moved to one of the NYCT depots (only real candidate is Jamaica unless the MTA is willing to have buses deadhead to/from Queens Village), forget it.

Moreover, certain depots within NYCT lack them entirely (aside from the handful of LFSAs at Flatbush mostly to compensate for the lack of XD60s and the performance issues caused by the MTA tinkering with the B500s again, none of the Brooklyn depots have the LFS in any real capacity).

14 hours ago, Lex said:

Unless that route gets moved to one of the NYCT depots (only real candidate is Jamaica unless the MTA is willing to have buses deadhead to/from Queens Village), forget it.

Moreover, certain depots within NYCT lack them entirely (aside from the handful of LFSAs at Flatbush mostly to compensate for the lack of XD60s and the performance issues caused by the MTA tinkering with the B500s again, none of the Brooklyn depots have the LFS in any real capacity).

Why would they have to move the route to transit just for LFSAs? You do know they could just send those over if they would, right? Lol.

Also, the performance issues with the XD60s is not because of the transmission....the transmissions have been programmed correctly this time around. The 2019s have been slowed down and the overweight and overpowered HVACs is causing the issues.

The 2016s-2017s are the ones with transmission issues, most notably on the Q44, as operators have to hold the bus in 3rd gear to get speed. However, this issue isn't only limited to NYMTA.....

On 9/28/2019 at 2:10 PM, hrt4u2c said:

Is it possible, that Nova-LFS buses for Q60 and all bus routes as it's ramp / lift door are very wide and no tight turns? For a wheelchair user with restricted hand usage and wide wheelchair, it's easy to enter and exit through Nova-LFS's ramp / lift door. 

If you mean artics, it's kind of unlikely.

40fters, it's possible, but it's looking more likely that the Q60 will see Xcelsiors in the future.

Edited by Cait Sith

5 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

Why would they have to move the route to transit just for LFSAs? You do know they could just send those over if they would, right? Lol.

The 2019s have been slowed down and the overweight and overpowered HVACs is causing the issues.

So if thats the case...can they just speed the 2019s up? Maybe if they weren't slowed down the heavy HVACs wouldn't be a problem. 

Its like yeah its heavy, but if it's faster then I would think it would play a role in being able to help with the strain from the weight. 

Who slowed the buses down? NF as a spec change or the MTA? 

4 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Its like yeah its heavy, but if it's faster then I would think it would play a role in being able to help with the strain from the weight. 

it never works that way. if you've ever driven any vehicle period, weight always adversely affects speed... speed can never counterbalance weight, and in this instance, if the HVAC is overweight as stated, just like any vehicle ever, when you are carrying too much weight (passengers/cargo, seats, engine, etc) it will cause malfunctions. this is a clear oversight/blunder on MTA's part regarding the sheer physics of this (or any) vehicle.