MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

5 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

So if thats the case...can they just speed the 2019s up? Maybe if they weren't slowed down the heavy HVACs wouldn't be a problem. 

Its like yeah its heavy, but if it's faster then I would think it would play a role in being able to help with the strain from the weight. 

Who slowed the buses down? NF as a spec change or the MTA? 

I don't think anyone intentionally slowed the buses down but the overpowered and overweight HVAC is making the engine work harder which makes the bus drive slower.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

If you mean artics, it's kind of unlikely.

40fters, it's possible, but it's looking more likely that the Q60 will see Xcelsiors in the future.

Yes, I meant 40fters, as I understand arctics won't fit well in Queens Blvd congestion. I think LFS has better wider door in the front for chairs than Xcelisors, and plus no tight narrow turn for chairs when exiting as is the case for other fleets including Xcelisors.

18 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

Why would they have to move the route to transit just for LFSAs? You do know they could just send those over if they would, right? Lol.

Also, the performance issues with the XD60s is not because of the transmission....the transmissions have been programmed correctly this time around. The 2019s have been slowed down and the overweight and overpowered HVACs is causing the issues.

The 2016s-2017s are the ones with transmission issues, most notably on the Q44, as operators have to hold the bus in 3rd gear to get speed. However, this issue isn't only limited to NYMTA.....

I can understand of why the HVACs are more heavy than the 2016-17 order, but I think the MTA should at least keep the specs from the 2016-17 order as it is. Overpowering the HVACs, and making it heavy, can have massive issues, i.e. engine breakdown,  Also, for the Thermo Kings on the XD60s, if riders heard that the bus whines when the AC is on, it should be noted that the compressors are the key points of the whine. Honestly, I don't like it that much, but I think the MTA in the future, should test out the Moblie Climate Control, or the all new Sutrak ACE HVACs for their next articulated order. But I will admit that the 2917-19 XD40s with Thermo Kings are better than the XD60s in my opinion. Overall, the MTA should consider testing out new HVACs for other buses.

57 minutes ago, RSMG106 said:

I can understand of why the HVACs are more heavy than the 2016-17 order, but I think the MTA should at least keep the specs from the 2016-17 order as it is. Overpowering the HVACs, and making it heavy, can have massive issues, i.e. engine breakdown,  Also, for the Thermo Kings on the XD60s, if riders heard that the bus whines when the AC is on, it should be noted that the compressors are the key points of the whine. Honestly, I don't like it that much, but I think the MTA in the future, should test out the Moblie Climate Control, or the all new Sutrak ACE HVACs for their next articulated order. But I will admit that the 2917-19 XD40s with Thermo Kings are better than the XD60s in my opinion. Overall, the MTA should consider testing out new HVACs for other buses.

This makes me wonder on why the HVAC specs were even changed in the first place, given that this is an option order.

At this point, are they going to refit all of the XD60s with a correctly-programmed transmission AND an HVAC unit that isn’t overpowered and overweight?

38 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

This makes me wonder on why the HVAC specs were even changed in the first place, given that this is an option order.

At this point, are they going to refit all of the XD60s with a correctly-programmed transmission AND an HVAC unit that isn’t overpowered and overweight?

I'm not too sure. It may not happen, unless the MTA knows about this issue, and starts the process of refitting all the XD60s.

3591 has returned in service at LGA after an accident months ago crashing into a bagel shop in Woodside.

Seems to have gotten a new front and some replaced panels (one with "New York City Bus" on it). Probably spare parts from retired 6500s. 

56 minutes ago, Jova42R said:

How rare is it to see an XD60 on the M60+? I saw one a few weeks ago, but was wondering how rare that was

As a matter of fact, it’s very rare to see one. The M60 SBS usually only uses 5444-5467 (because of their luggage racks).

It’s also unlikely that 5444-5467 will run on any other route besides the M60+.

33 minutes ago, Snorunts said:

As a matter of fact, it’s very rare to see one. The M60 SBS usually only uses 5444-5467 (because of their luggage racks).

It’s also unlikely that 5444-5467 will run on any other route besides the M60+.

MQ uses a variety of buses for the M60. As a matter of fact there was 2 55xx buses on the 60 this past week. Also, at least once a day ANY part of MQ’s fleet could be covering a variety of lines. 

To further this point 5463 and another 54xx which has luggage racks was seen working the M34+ earlier this week also. 

Your statements above are somewhat false. 

Edited by Future ENY OP

14 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

MQ uses a variety of buses for the M60. As a matter of fact there was 2 55xx buses on the 60 this past week. Also, at least once a day ANY part of MQ’s fleet could be covering a variety of lines. 

To further this point 5463 and another 54xx which has luggage racks was seen working the M34+ earlier this week also. 

Your statements above are completely false. 

Completely false? That’s kind of rude to put it that way.... especially since that batch of buses MOSTLY does run on the 60+ (Key word: MOSTLY). I also mentioned how it’s UNLIKELY to see the luggage racked buses on other routes. I didn’t say there was a 0% chance.

Edited by Snorunts

5 minutes ago, Snorunts said:

Completely false? That’s kind of rude to put it that way.... especially since that batch of buses MOSTLY does run on the 60+ (Key word: MOSTLY). I also mentioned how it’s UNLIKELY to see the luggage racked buses on other routes. I didn’t say there was a 0% chance.

I take back my previous statement. However, MQ always throws in a few buses without luggage racks on any SBS line. I’ve seen racks on the M14, M23 and M34/A SBS lines! 

On 10/3/2019 at 8:55 PM, Future ENY OP said:

Your statements above are somewhat false. 

Actually, his statement is not somewhat false by any means.

Look at the M60 at this current time, only luggage rack buses are on the line.....The only time they use 5500s and XD60s is when the luggage rack buses need routine maintenance.

4 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Why? That would’ve been a great fleet expansion.

Not sure myself.

14 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

Not sure myself.

I was so surprised when I heard that they won’t go through with the option orders, because honestly, that would’ve made a great fleet expansion, and when I mean fleet expansion, I mean this:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_B8Hu1hRaZ4hjToejxvy-FDPlBGSxEn3k_sW1-Vfc64 

Doesn’t sounds like a great service/fleet expansion with the option buses?

13 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

I was so surprised when I heard that they won’t go through with the option orders, because honestly, that would’ve made a great fleet expansion, and when I mean fleet expansion, I mean this:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_B8Hu1hRaZ4hjToejxvy-FDPlBGSxEn3k_sW1-Vfc64 

Doesn’t sounds like a great service/fleet expansion with the option buses?

That would depend on how bad they need the buses. The options can be picked up at any time, but from what I heard, at the current time, it's not happening.

Edited by Cait Sith

13 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

That would depend on how bad they need the buses. The options can be picked up at any time, but from what I heard, at the current time, it's not happening.

I hope they pick up those options soon, especially during the redesign. That would be a great way to expand the fleet for the new services.

Also, what did you think of the spreadsheet I attached.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's official. Novabus made a fully electric, long range version of the original LFSe. Known as the LFSe+, this bus is capable of a range between 211 and 292 Miles before needing a charge. Unlike the LFSe which was powered by the TM4 Sumo HD motors, the LFSe+ will instead have BAE Systems in place. I think there's a slight possibly that the MTA will test  out the LFSe+ in the 2020 decade. 

Here's the link to the LFSe+: https://www.metro-magazine.com/zero-emissions/news/735949/nova-bus-launches-new-fully-electric-lfse

I was just on 6226 on the M34A about a half an hour ago and they must be doing some kind of mod's to the ThermoKing HVAC's on the 2019s...

This bus was making the same whine as the 5987-6125 batch, it wasn't making the same growl noise as the other 2019 XD60s and the HVAC itself was practically silent.

5 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

I was just on 6226 on the M34A about a half an hour ago and they must be doing some kind of mod's to the ThermoKing HVAC's on the 2019s...

This bus was making the same whine as the 5987-6125 batch, it wasn't making the same growl noise as the other 2019 XD60s and the HVAC itself was practically silent.

Will this resolve all overpower and overweight issues on the buses?

As I see it, the MTA needs a top-up order of articulated buses, primarily for Brooklyn Division. This will cross over into route changes, but the Q58 would be the prime local bus needing artics, as at the "peak of the peak" in the morning, there can be buses as frequently as 4 minutes, and there are problems with over-crowding, especially between Ridgewood and Queens Boulevard.

As for problems with turns, I see that as being resolved by modifying the Ridgewood end as follows:

To Ridgewood Terminal, via Myrtle...no turn onto Putnam Avenue. Instead...remain on Myrtle, with the last stop being on the far side of Wyckoff, near Gates. (An additional stop would be added on the near side of Cypress Avenue, and then on the far side of St. Nicholas.) Then, left on Gates, left on Irving, and left on Palmetto to stand. (This would avoid the narrow Ridgewood Place for the Q58, but not the B26.) As for through traffic, it could be restricted between Ridgewood Place and Wyckoff Avenue, with through traffic on Gates Avenue.

The other route in Brooklyn that could warrant artics would be the B6. If Ulmer Park can't fit them, then maybe the Local and Limited should be split, with the B82 Local swapping to Ulmer Park in exchange for the B6 Limited, with the B6 Limited and B82 SBS sharing an articulated bus pool (local bus livery).

6 minutes ago, aemoreira81 said:

As I see it, the MTA needs a top-up order of articulated buses, primarily for Brooklyn Division. This will cross over into route changes, but the Q58 would be the prime local bus needing artics, as at the "peak of the peak" in the morning, there can be buses as frequently as 4 minutes, and there are problems with over-crowding, especially between Ridgewood and Queens Boulevard.

As for problems with turns, I see that as being resolved by modifying the Ridgewood end as follows:

To Ridgewood Terminal, via Myrtle...no turn onto Putnam Avenue. Instead...remain on Myrtle, with the last stop being on the far side of Wyckoff, near Gates. (An additional stop would be added on the near side of Cypress Avenue, and then on the far side of St. Nicholas.) Then, left on Gates, left on Irving, and left on Palmetto to stand. (This would avoid the narrow Ridgewood Place for the Q58, but not the B26.) As for through traffic, it could be restricted between Ridgewood Place and Wyckoff Avenue, with through traffic on Gates Avenue.

The other route in Brooklyn that could warrant artics would be the B6. If Ulmer Park can't fit them, then maybe the Local and Limited should be split, with the B82 Local swapping to Ulmer Park in exchange for the B6 Limited, with the B6 Limited and B82 SBS sharing an articulated bus pool (local bus livery).

With a few modifications I think UP could fit a 60FT bus.

1 hour ago, Nova Fly Guy said:

With a few modifications I think UP could fit a 60FT bus.

Modifying Ulmer Park slightly or move it to ENY or Flatbush (why am I thinking FB, that's retarded) if it's a big enough demand for future route picks. With UP isn't almost seems political when it comes to buses they can handle. But they'll never lose the B6 which is financially understandable and obvious but who knows, I guess. I wouldn't be against the idea of B6 getting artics, no one would I would think,  but it'll be a while before the (MTA) surfaces a plan for a configuration/conversation, especially with the agency's financial track record.

51 minutes ago, limitednyc said:

and when will this modifications to up going to happen. no mention in capital program.

Who could possibly know at this rate? 1) It's not like a trying to announce when it will. 2) We acknowledge that it's not in the next CP, Thank you, Captain Obvious.... for the painfully reminder.