MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 8:29 PM, S78 via Hylan said:

They could be at GA just for maintenance.

Too many contributors to this site get confused that Grand Ave. has both a depot and base shop where heavy/rehab work is done.  As a guy who lives close to Grand Ave., I see buses from many depots traveling to and from the facility.  So please, if a given bus is "going to Grand Ave.", it does not necessarily mean it's there for use on a Grand Ave. assigned route.

Edited by Bill from Maspeth

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

Too many contributors to this site get confused that Grand Ave. has both a depot and base shop where heavy/rehab work is done.  As a guy who lives close to Grand Ave., I see buses from many depots traveling to and from the facility.  So please, if a given bus is "going to Grand Ave.", it does not necessarily mean it's there for use on a Grand Ave. assigned route.

IJS, even if the "other" hybrids, 3800-3959, are assigned there for service, which would be quite odd.  But DOB does do odd things! 

Those 3800s & 3900s are loans for Grand Avenue.

They got those 3900s due to the midday G.Os for the (J) / (M) between Manhattan & Brooklyn with work being done between Hewes & Broad Street. They don't want those G.Os happening on the weekend because of the  (L) work. It's basically extra buses for Grand Avenue until the G.O is done with.

Edited by Cait Sith

Reflected reamining 2004-05 Orion VII Hybrids 

6490-6494, 6496-6500, 6502, 6505-6506, 6508, 6510, 6589, 6596, 6602, 6607-6612, 6615, 6617, 6619-6624, 6627-6628 - ENY

6521-6522, 6524, 6528-6531, 6554-6559, 6561, 6568-6569, 6572-6573, 6575-6577, 6580, 6582-6588, 6590, 6593-6595, 6603 - FP

6511-6516, 6518-6520, 6532-6533, 6541-6545, 6547-6548, 6550-6553, 6601 - JFK

6534-6535, 6539-6540, 6549, 6600: LGA. 6643 is also at LGA

6637, 6675 

---

Q: Is 4799 at Gun Hill or at Eastchester waiting for the damages to be fixed?

Edited by Calvin

The hybrid procurement is officially split between New Flyer and Nova.

Novabus:

pilot buses May 2020

165 hybrid buses (base)

126 hybrid buses (option)

209 diesel buses (option)

*All LFS HEV's will have BAE*

New Flyer:

pilot buses October 2020

110 hybrid buses (base)

84 hybrid buses (option)

139 diesel buses (option)

*the base order is a 60/50 BAE/Allison split with all options being BAE*

"production" deliveries are expected between December 2020 and October 2021

Further details are in the December NYCT committee book

Edited by Around the Horn

1 hour ago, Around the Horn said:

The hybrid procurement is officially split between New Flyer and Nova.

Novabus:

pilot buses May 2020

165 hybrid buses (base)

126 hybrid buses (option)

209 diesel buses (option)

*All LFS HEV's will have BAE*

New Flyer:

pilot buses October 2020

110 hybrid buses (base)

84 hybrid buses (option)

139 diesel buses (option)

*the base order is a 60/50 BAE/Allison split with all options being BAE*

"production" deliveries are expected between December 2020 and October 2021

Further details are in the December NYCT committee book

Why would New Flyer get 110 and Nova get 165? I thought New Flyer would get more buses than Nova in a split order.

1 hour ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Why would New Flyer get 110 and Nova get 165? I thought New Flyer would get more buses than Nova in a split order.

Now why would you think that? Don't use old orders as examples of what may happen in future orders.

16 minutes ago, Snorunts said:

The 10 2018 New Flyer XDE40 buses at Grand Avenue Depot aren’t pilot buses?

They are.

They're likely doing a slightly different configuration to these 10 XDE40s.

27 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

Now why would you think that? Don't use old orders as examples of what may happen in future orders.

New Flyer normally delivers faster than Nova, so it would’ve made sense for 60% of the buses in a split order to go to them to get them in faster for the network redesign. 

In addition, it also mathematically adds up. 

11 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

New Flyer normally delivers faster than Nova, so it would’ve made sense for 60% of the buses in a split order to go to them to get them in faster for the network redesign. 

And that's exactly why I said to not use past orders as an explanation, because it's not just about delivery speed or anything like that. It's also about product quality and performance, which has favored Nova this time around.

These orders also have nothing to do with the network redesigns because other hybrid buses are getting retired due to this order.

1 hour ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Nova has a faster delivery schedule this time around.

1 hour ago, Cait Sith said:

And that's exactly why I said to not use past orders as an explanation, because it's not just about delivery speed or anything like that. It's also about product quality and performance, which has favored Nova this time around.

14 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

Nova has a faster delivery schedule this time around.

Well is that’s the case, well played. This should also send a message to New Flyer to step up their game and make more sturdier and better buses. 

As for assignments, I do believe that (for my own selfish reason) the 165 Novas should go to Brooklyn and Manhattan and the 110 New Flyers get a good beating in the Bronx and Queens, with assignments similar to what is on my spreadsheet. That way, I, a Brooklynite, can get a little bit of bus variety on my home turf this time around, while having the New Flyers up in the Bronx and Queens can allow me to go out and explore outside my area more, because I have a hard time understanding how areas outside of my home neighborhood works.

However, on a more serious note, they should give Manhattanville and Mother Clara Hale a bit of the priority for new buses this time. They haven’t received new buses in a while.

1 hour ago, Cait Sith said:

These orders also have nothing to do with the network redesigns because other hybrid buses are getting retired due to this order.

For some reason, I thought that they would be, because of the timing of the orders and the fact that if we want a modernized bus system, we need modern buses as well, because of the routes need to be reliable, then so should the buses.

17 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

As for assignments, I do believe that (for my own selfish reason) the 165 Novas should go to Brooklyn and Manhattan and the 110 New Flyers get a good beating in the Bronx and Queens, with assignments similar to what is on my spreadsheet. That way, I, a Brooklynite, can get a little bit of bus variety on my home turf this time around, while having the New Flyers up in the Bronx and Queens can allow me to go out and explore outside my area more, because I have a hard time understanding how areas outside of my home neighborhood works.

I hope you realize that MTA doesn’t care about “variety....” Certain bus models work better in different areas. New Flyers happen to work best in Brooklyn. 

33 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

For some reason, I thought that they would be, because of the timing of the orders and the fact that if we want a modernized bus system, we need modern buses as well, because of the routes need to be reliable, then so should the buses.

Problem with that is that even after these buses come, we will STILL have relatively old (not 15 year sold old, but not new either) buses in service. The oldest artics are from 2010 and the oldest diesel 40 foots are the 2011 buses. A fleet as big as our will never have an all new fleet. 

10 minutes ago, Jdog14 said:

Problem with that is that even after these buses come, we will STILL have relatively old (not 15 year sold old, but not new either) buses in service. The oldest artics are from 2010 and the oldest diesel 40 foots are the 2011 buses. A fleet as big as our will never have an all new fleet. 

2011 is a pretty decent year for buses. If maintained well, those buses are capable to look as new as the 2014-2015 New Flyer XD40 and 2015-2016 Novabus LFS.

3 minutes ago, Jdog14 said:

Lets be realistic, with this agency 2 year old buses look run down lol

That’s true. If only these buses were maintained a lot better, then our whole fleet would look new.

Buses from 2011 will look like 2014-2016 models, buses from 2014-2016 will look like from last year, and all the WiFi schemed buses will look only a day old.

That would be the dream....