MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Flatbush SBS Duece said:

Just confirmed it! Flatbush losing some of the 7600’s to ENY as we get some of 7100’s from UP. If you ask me that's totally BULL!!!!!!!! I knew this would happen sooner or later!

I wonder if this helps out the B82-SBS as spares for the depot. 

31 minutes ago, Calvin said:

It's only uniformed when buses are delivered (brand new) so, they can keep count how many are at the depot (also assigned). Wait few years later, mileage is your answer. 

Point well taken with buses transferred due to mileage but the previous order of 40' "Cuomo-ized" NF Excelsiors were delivered to depots in various number series/batches.

For example FP received 4 separate numerical series; Jamaica 5.  The list goes on.  I don't remember that happening since the 1996 Nova RTS, many of which were lent brand new to the summer Olympics in Atlanta.

As a side, in order not to make a separate post, I'm surprised FP isn't getting any excess buses to replace retiring 2004/2005 OG Orion hybrids.  ENY seems to be.

Edited by Bill from Maspeth

7 minutes ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

Point well taken with buses transferred due to mileage but the previous order of 40' "Cuomo-ized" NF Excelsiors" were delivered to depots in various number series/batches.

For example FP received 4 separate numerical series; Jamaica 5.  The list goes on.  I don't remember that happening since the 1996 Nova RTS, many of which were lent brand new to the summer Olympics in Atlanta.

Same thing with the Staten Island Prevost. 

I understand the mileage thing, but if it was just about mileage, they would be sending over specific buses instead of a small batch of consecutive numbers. 

Like UP getting the 73xxs from FB, the 72xxs from FP or GA, the 7134-7139 batch from ENY. I'm sure not every consecutive bus in that batch is going for the same mileage reasons. 

The reason why this discussion keeps coming back and forth is because no one knows how to break down the exact reasons for why things are being done. People say, "its because of mileage", "its just how the DOB" does things. But when you ask, why, or bring up counter-discussions, people catch temper tantrums. I would appreciate it if people had more civil discussions, especially when you're familiar with the user and their presence on this forum. 

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

1 hour ago, Future ENY OP said:

Fam, it’s not about reform DOB. YOU GOTTA UNDERSTAND THE SYSTEM. THESE MOVES WERE ALREADY PRE-DETERMINED AND APPROVED PRIOR TO THIS WEEKEND. Again, not everything needs to be uniformed. We may disagree what DOB does. However, at the end of the day an XD40 is a XD40 and that’s it. 

I'm gonna need you to pick a struggle. One minute, you're against DOB and the lack of organizing of uniformity with numbers and saying its a mess, and now you're saying that not everything needs to be uniformed. Which one is it?

1 hour ago, Flatbush SBS Duece said:

Just confirmed it! Flatbush losing some of the 7600’s to ENY as we get some of 7100’s from UP. If you ask me that's totally BULL!!!!!!!! I knew this would happen sooner or later!

I heard its only 7659-7662. 

Just now, Cait Sith said:

I'm gonna need you to pick a struggle. One minute, you're against DOB and the lack of organizing of uniformity with numbers and saying its a mess, and now you're saying that not everything needs to be uniformed. Which one is it?

Sir, I’m not one with that. I was just responding to someone else regarding this issue. 

1 hour ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Same thing with the Staten Island Prevost. 

I understand the mileage thing, but if it was just about mileage, they would be sending over specific buses instead of a small batch of consecutive numbers. 

Like UP getting the 73xxs from FB, the 72xxs from FP or GA, the 7134-7139 batch from ENY. I'm sure not every consecutive bus in that batch is going for the same mileage reasons. 

The reason why this discussion keeps coming back and forth is because no one knows how to break down the exact reasons for why things are being done. People say, "its because of mileage", "its just how the DOB" does things. But when you ask, why, or bring up counter-discussions, people catch temper tantrums. I would appreciate it if people had more civil discussions, especially when you're familiar with the user and their presence on this forum.  

Mileage swaps don't always involve large batches of buses unless it involves Staten Island, in which large batches of buses are always swapped out there to keep the mileage down.

But my question to you is, why is this so important to you? Passengers don't care about numerical fleet uniformity, only transit fans do(I personally don't). A large majority of us don't even work there or at the DOB for that matter, so what kind of answers are you looking to get out of us? It's clear that they just don't handpick buses or batches at random to send elsewhere just willy-nilly. 

As for why ENY got those buses from UP, 7140-7149 has the least amount of miles between the buses that have been swapped out. UP's batch of XDs have the least amount of miles accrued in Brooklyn IIRC. 

Edited by Cait Sith

8 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

But my question to you is, why is this so important to you? Passengers don't care about numerical fleet uniformity, only transit fans do(I personally don't). A large majority of us don't even work there or at the DOB for that matter, so what kind of answers are you looking to get out of us? It's clear that they just don't handpick buses or batches at random to send elsewhere just willy-nilly. 

As for why ENY got those buses from UP, 7140-7149 has the least amount of miles between the buses that have been swapped out. UP's batch of XDs have the least amount of miles accrued in Brooklyn IIRC. 

Good points, I assumed some people on here would have the answers. We had people on here that had access to future bus orders, they have sources that can track which buses are at what depots and their statuses; you would assume someone or some people would have a connection to someone who's doing the coordination of buses at the DOB. 

I know it's not the end of the world, it's looks better on paper (on rosters) when buses are grouped in order and uniformity.

53 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

I heard its only 7659-7662

Yes, I almost lost it at the depot lol but the depot chairman said it would only be 4 to 6 buses only. 

@Snorunts "Why would TU need SBS units?" Why would KB need SBS units? And you saw what happened there, they got wrapped into the local scheme (and the SBS scheme is done anyways). MTA is always preaching about fleet uniformity. Well here's your chance.

MCH can send their 55 XD60s to Quill in exchange for 55 LFSAs (they already had LFSAs to begin with). 

TU can send their 30 XD60s to Quill in exchange for 30 Novas. Now you have some uniformity; Quill focuses on Xcelsiors, TU focuses on LFSAs. The left over LFSAs can stay at Quill until they are needed elsewhere (possibly S.I). 

@Around the Horn "If I were going to hypothetically move around articulated buses, I would just move all 90 of the 1200s to Tuskegee and keep them at one depot, then supplement them with 38 of the 2011 or 2012 LFSAs. The other 62 LFSAs can go to Gun Hill or Kingsbridge, 9 of the XD60s can then go to Flatbush pushing those Novas there to Kingsbridge for local service with the other 19 going to Gun Hill."

But then you'd go back to depots having two types of articulated fleets, I thought the goal was fleet uniformity? 

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

5 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

@Around the Horn "If I were going to hypothetically move around articulated buses, I would just move all 90 of the 1200s to Tuskegee and keep them at one depot, then supplement them with 38 of the 2011 or 2012 LFSAs. The other 62 LFSAs can go to Gun Hill or Kingsbridge, 9 of the XD60s can then go to Flatbush pushing those Novas there to Kingsbridge for local service with the other 19 going to Gun Hill."

But then you'd go back to depots having two types of articulated fleets, I thought the goal was fleet uniformity?

Well you already have multiple depots with two fleets, except now you've standardized Tuskegee and Flatbush leaving just Quill and Gun Hill which would probably get resolved if they ever do go through with the larger electric bus orders under the capital program (XD60s/XE60s at Quill and LFSA/LFSAe's at Gun Hill most likely)

25 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

That's for the outerboroughs, not Manhattan.

But you've also forgot about depots that have multiple use cases in fleets, such as Jamaica(hence why they got XD40s), West Farms(CNGs), Quill(self-explanatory), Flatbush and some others. True fleet uniformity won't happen until there's only two types of manufacturers, which still won't happen.

Edited by Cait Sith

37 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

@Snorunts "Why would TU need SBS units?" Why would KB need SBS units? And you saw what happened there, they got wrapped into the local scheme (and the SBS scheme is done anyways). MTA is always preaching about fleet uniformity. Well here's your chance.

MCH can send their 55 XD60s to Quill in exchange for 55 LFSAs (they already had LFSAs to begin with). 

TU can send their 30 XD60s to Quill in exchange for 30 Novas. Now you have some uniformity; Quill focuses on Xcelsiors, TU focuses on LFSAs. The left over LFSAs can stay at Quill until they are needed elsewhere (possibly S.I). 

If I can understand, we are still waiting for 62 more 2017 XD60s to TU. However, it may take forever. But I can understand about fleet uniformity. TU mostly has New Flyers, and Novabuses. As for the 1200s, this would make sense since that both Gun Hill and Kingsbridge has the 1200s. Both Gun Hill and Kingsbridge are currently moving their 4700s to Grand Avenue, and Ulmer Park. However, I would prefer the 62 additional 2017 XD60s to TU, and all 90 of the 1200s to TU. Then, move the remaining 2011-13 LFSAs to Kingsbridge and Gun Hill. It would be a style of "old school and new school". You will have a combination of the 2000s decade units, with the 2010s decade units.

Edited by RSMG106
Clarifying on the layout of moves

3 minutes ago, RSMG106 said:

https://www.nyctransitforums.com/profile/17886-snorunts/ If I can understand, we are still waiting for 62 more 2017 XD60s to TU. However, it may take forever. But I can understand about fleet uniformity. TU mostly has New Flyers, and Novabuses.

https://www.nyctransitforums.com/profile/11342-around-the-horn/ This would make sense since that both Gun Hill and Kingsbridge has the 1200s. However, I would prefer the 79 XD60s to TU, and all 90 of the 1200s to TU. It would be a style of "old school and new school". You will have a combination of the 2000s decade units, with the 2010s decade units.

Those XD60s are staying at Flatbush. They won't be going to TU(if ever) until they're taken off of SBS duty(if ever).

By the time that happens, we might be seeing mileage swaps all over.

Edited by Cait Sith

2 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

Those XD60s are staying at Flatbush. They won't be going to TU(if ever) until they're taken off of SBS duty(if ever).

By the time that happens, we might be seeing mileage swaps all over.

Well, that is disappointing. Thank you for confirming this. The original move for the 2016-17 XD60s were mostly correct, with 5987-6030 going to Stengel. However, 3 years later, the rest of the order was now in other depot besides TU. Currently, Stengel, LGA, MJQ, and Hale has the 6030-6108 batch.

Here's a question, would there be a possibility that the 1200s from Gun Hill, and Kingsbridge can move back to Manhattan (Mainly at TU), in the near future? I discussed about my possible moves for the 1200s, in exchange with the 2011-13 LFSAs.

5 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Yikes, move all 90 of the 1200's to one depot!? That would suck for the riders of said depot as from a passenger prospective, simply put, those buses suck lol. And they appear to be beat to hell.

I did not know that. As long as a depot have better maintenance, then probably those buses won't have problems, most of the time. Did you experience in the 1200s, and had any issues with it?

9 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Yikes, move all 90 of the 1200's to one depot!? That would suck for the riders of said depot as from a passenger prospective, simply put, those buses suck lol. And they appear to be beat to hell.

They seemed fine when they were running on the M15-SBS. But right when they were sent to the Bronx and unwrapped is when they started looking like trash. They NEED a paint job.

4 minutes ago, Snorunts said:

They seemed fine when they were running on the M15-SBS. But right when they were sent to the Bronx and unwrapped is when they started looking like trash. They NEED a paint job.

I would agree. They need to repaint these buses because they look kind of ugly to me.

2 hours ago, RSMG106 said:

I did not know that. As long as a depot have better maintenance, then probably those buses won't have problems, most of the time. Did you experience in the 1200s, and had any issues with it?

The A/C on those buses is non existent. I rode one on the BX12 where it was hotter INSIDE the bus than it was outside! IIRC, the A/C on those units was weak when they ran on the M15 as well. Interior in a lot of them are raggedy as well.

I remember when those buses were new, never did I imagine them to age so poorly.

Edited by trainfan22