MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

3 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

The A/C on those buses is non existent. I rode one on the BX12 where it was hotter INSIDE the bus than it was outside! IIRC, the A/C on those units was weak when they ran on the M15 as well. Interior in a lot of them are raggedy as well.

I remember when those buses were new, never did I imagine them to age so poorly.

Wow. I remember riding those buses on the M15 Local before the launch of the M15SBS. It was fantastic. Nowadays, these buses are now becoming a bit worse in quality overtime.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

The A/C on those buses is non existent. I rode one on the BX12 where it was hotter INSIDE the bus than it was outside! IIRC, the A/C on those units was weak when they ran on the M15 as well. Interior in a lot of them are raggedy as well.

I remember when those buses were new, never did I imagine them to age so poorly.

Not only is the A/c non-existent, they also have an obnoxious sound coming from them. 

1 hour ago, Melbx15 said:

Since we talking about the 1200’s 😂 in my opinion they do need to be repainted, but aren’t they due for retirement in like a year  or two 

25 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

They're only ten years old so I hope not.

The way these (MTA) finances are set up right now I personally think its gonna be at least 2 years before these 1200's retire.

13 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

12 years is the average lifespan for a transit bus, but the MTA has been known to hold on to buses longer than that if the bodies and such hold up better than expected. 

Let's just hope the MTA can keep these 1200s as long as possible.

Edited by RSMG106

17 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

The 1200’s should have at least 4 to 5 years left before they get retired. It seems like the (MTA) holds onto buses on average 15-16 years, however some can go longer than that like the RTS. 

That's if they're gonna be held onto(which is likely).

2 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

I wonder if Gun Hill will hold on to those XD60s still assigned there for the foreseeable future. Since they have the same powertrain as the Novas (ISL/ZF) maybe they aren't oddballs from a maintenance prospective?

They'd still be oddballs (different manufacturer, different parts).

There's no real reason to keep them there, anyway. It's pretty clear that the MTA wants those buses at the Brooklyn Division's asscrack...

1 hour ago, Lex said:

They'd still be oddballs (different manufacturer, different parts).

There's no real reason to keep them there, anyway. It's pretty clear that the MTA wants those buses at the Brooklyn Division's asscrack...

Is this the same with West Farms with their XD-40s? The number is in 6 as a result from the Bx6/Bx35 artic conversion. 

5 hours ago, Calvin said:

Is this the same with West Farms with their XD-40s? The number is in 6 as a result from the Bx6/Bx35 artic conversion. 

Those would probably be bigger oddballs, but this is mitigated by West Farms being mixed by design (CNG buses are from New Flyer, as Nova was way late to the CNG draw, which includes lacking CNG artics entirely).

Edited by Lex

5 minutes ago, Lex said:

Those would probably bigger oddballs, but this is mitigated by West Farms being mixed by design (CNG buses are from New Flyer, as Nova was way late to the CNG draw, which includes lacking CNG artics entirely).

They're technically not oddballs, as West Farms is a mixed use facility.

In terms of parts, they're compatible with the XN40s and XN60s.

Just now, Cait Sith said:

They're technically not oddballs, as West Farms is a mixed use facility.

In terms of parts, they're compatible with the XN40s and XN60s.

That's what I was driving at, though I can't say I phrased it too well...

44 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

So 1300 was Renumbered to 0023. Any reason for the renumber?

The original 1300 is now a pilot bus, 0023. Once the pilot is done, then another 1300 will come in. Just like what happened to the original LFS 8090, which was replaced by another 8090.

8 minutes ago, GojiMet86 said:

The original 1300 is now a pilot bus, 0023. Once the pilot is done, then another 1300 will come in. Just like what happened to the original LFS 8090, which was replaced by another 8090.

Is that what happened with 5439, 7484, and 8504 or was the test bus and the current unit the same vehicle?

Edited by Snorunts

8 minutes ago, Snorunts said:

Is that what happened with 5439, 7484, and 8504 or was the test bus and the current unit the same vehicle?

These three were never replaced by another bus of the same number. Actually, to be more specific, the first LFS 8090 was rejected, and the first 8091-8093 were never delivered to the MTA.

The 1300 that came in a while back is this new 0023. Now why they renumbered it to 0023 (which was the number of the MCI D45 CRT LE demo) instead of 0024 is beyond me.

Edited by GojiMet86

1 hour ago, GojiMet86 said:

These three were never replaced by another bus of the same number. Actually, to be more specific, the first LFS 8090 was rejected, and the first 8091-8093 were never delivered to the MTA.

The 1300 that came in a while back is this new 0023. Now why they renumbered it to 0023 (which was the number of the MCI D45 CRT LE demo) instead of 0024 is beyond me.

8504 was initially rejected for having the older driver window spec.