MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

23 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

Jamaica is one of those depots that can handle multiple fleets without issue(hence why they got NGs when they were brand new), just like West Farms, Quill and a few others.

Does this apply to Castleton Depot in Staten Island? 

Edited by Calvin
Castleton Depot was added as they used to have Next Gens and XD-40s for local service

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Calvin said:

Adding to what Calvin said does Manhattanville also apply to this? Now I know it’s 100% Orion VII right now but if DOB wanted they can go for LFS and New Flyer type of split can they?

10 minutes ago, Shawn Williams said:

i thought Bk can't handle Novas...

East New York had a few 2015 Novabus LFS units for a short time when they were brand new. Shortly after, most of them were sent to Jamaica with a few going to Charleston. I am not sure what the reason for this was, but it could have been so the depot wouldn’t house all that many bus models (1997/98/99 RTS-06, 2004/05/06/07 Orion VII Hybrid, 2011/14/15 Xcelsior XD40, & 2015 Novabus LFS).

Edited by Snorunts

22 minutes ago, Snorunts said:

East New York had a few 2015 Novabus LFS units for a short time when they were brand new. Shortly after, most of them were sent to Jamaica with a few going to Charleston. I am not sure what the reason for this was, but it could have been so the depot wouldn’t house all that many bus models (1997/98/99 RTS-06, 2004/05/06/07 Orion VII Hybrid, 2011/14/15 Xcelsior XD40, & 2015 Novabus LFS).

From what I've looked at from the archives, ENY had the LFS from 8090-8123 b.c of the New Flyer recall. Also at that time, the RTS they had were sent to WF to cover for the CNGs to be fixed so, they filled in the gap. 

Edited by Calvin

27 minutes ago, Snorunts said:

those XD40s should of went to Jamaica

26 minutes ago, Shawn Williams said:

No operator in Bk likes them.

So you went to East New York, Fresh Pond, Grand Avenue, and Ulmer Park Depot and asked each and every bus operator what they think of the Xcelsiors? I highly doubt that. What is your source of information because I don’t believe you one bit?

Edited by Snorunts

43 minutes ago, Snorunts said:

So you went to East New York, Fresh Pond, Grand Avenue, and Ulmer Park Depot and asked each and every bus operator what they think of the Xcelsiors? I highly doubt that. What is your source of information because I don’t believe you one bit?

He probably isn't speaking for most of the operators, but the 70-74xx XD40s aren't exactly the greatest buses for take-off. The 75-78xx are much better. 

Edited by Jdog14

1 hour ago, Jdog14 said:

He probably isn't speaking for most of the operators, but the 70-74xx XD40s aren't exactly the greatest buses for take-off. The 75-78xx are much better. 

Im pretty sure the buses are off the manufacturers warranty now...they should modify the transmissions to run like the 4800s. 

35 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Im pretty sure the buses are off the manufacturers warranty now...they should modify the transmissions to run like the 4800s. 

Don't bet on it. Those buses are 4-5 years old now. If they wanted to do something with the transmissions, they would've done it by now.

The 4800s were test cases.

3 hours ago, Shawn Williams said:

i thought Bk can't handle Novas...

If they couldn't, Flatbush would've never had Nova ARTICS and ENY would've never gotten 40fters. Flatbush still has Nova Artics.

I don't know who keeps feeding you nonsense information, but you need to stop listening to those people.

4 hours ago, MHV184 said:

Adding to what Calvin said does Manhattanville also apply to this? Now I know it’s 100% Orion VII right now but if DOB wanted they can go for LFS and New Flyer type of split can they?

They could, but regardless, it's gonna be split anyway with Nova or New Flyer with Orions.

4 hours ago, Calvin said:

I would've thought that was obvious, especially since they had four different local fleets at one point...

Edited by Cait Sith

1 hour ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Very briefly in 2011:

Orion V

Orion NG

Orion 3G

Nova LFS

New Flyer XD40

6 if you count the D4500's

Come to think of it, I think Queens Village had 5 as well at that time. Six if you count the Express routes. 

3 hours ago, Q43LTD said:

Come to think of it, I think Queens Village had 5 as well at that time. Six if you count the Express routes. 

Yeah they had the 2011 LFS’s, the RTS, the Orion VII’s from 2004, the XD40s and the Orion 3G. 
Queens village is still my favorite depot in Queens because of the diversity. Today you have the 2011 Nova’s with the rear window, the 2016 Nova’s without the rear window and the 2019 Nova’s with the Cuomo scheme. Then you have the OG Orion VII’s and the NG Orion VII’s.

Edited by NewFlyer 230

1 hour ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Yeah they had the 2011 LFS’s, the RTS, the Orion VII’s from 2004, the XD40s and the Orion 3G. 
Queens village is still my favorite depot in Queens because of the diversity. Today you have the 2011 Nova’s with the rear window, the 2016 Nova’s without the rear window and the 2019 Nova’s with the Cuomo scheme. Then you have the OG Orion VII’s and the NG Orion VII’s.

Queens Village is my favorite too because of the diversity.  My second favorite would be Jamaica. They didn't really become diverse until 2009 though. 

14 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

Don't bet on it. Those buses are 4-5 years old now. If they wanted to do something with the transmissions, they would've done it by now.

The 4800s were test cases.

If they couldn't, Flatbush would've never had Nova ARTICS and ENY would've never gotten 40fters. Flatbush still has Nova Artics.

I don't know who keeps feeding you nonsense information, but you need to stop listening to those people.

They could, but regardless, it's gonna be split anyway with Nova or New Flyer with Orions.

I would've thought that was obvious, especially since they had four different local fleets at one point...

i know that but those Novas at Flatbush are leaving already to head back to kingsbridge and also theres a plan from the DOB to covert Bk to only Xcelsiors. i got this info from a friend of mines 3 or 4 months ago in a server..

32 minutes ago, Shawn Williams said:

i know that but those Novas at Flatbush are leaving already to head back to kingsbridge and also theres a plan from the DOB to covert Bk to only Xcelsiors. i got this info from a friend of mines 3 or 4 months ago in a server..

I'm going to reiterate this point again.

Whoever is feeding you nonsense information, you should stop listening to them.

There is no "plan" to convert Brooklyn to only Xcelsiors. That was already in the works when 7090 showed up. Brooklyn won't be fully Xcelsior for several, several years.

The last bit of Novas at Flatbush won't be leaving anytime soon.

Edited by Cait Sith

3 hours ago, Shawn Williams said:

Just 2 left. With the proterras being here, good luck with that happening now lol

Edited by Jdog14

23 hours ago, Shawn Williams said:

No operator in Bk likes them.

23 hours ago, Snorunts said:

If Shawn is talking about 2014-15 XD40s, it isn't far fetched that most BK ops don't like them. In terms of the way they run they are geared the worst compared to the 4800s and the Cuomo scheme buses.

Fresh Pond and LGA seems to be the only depots that has 2014-15 XD40s with quick acceleration, they feel that way from a passenger prospective at least. There was even a 2014-15 unit out on a FP hawk run a couple nights ago, I'd imagine hawk ops get to choose what bus they pull out since most of the buses are in the garage once they start their runs.

With that being said, I don't think buses should be transfered from BK just because BK ops don't like them, if BK ops don't like them, then Queens ops probably won't like them ethier!