MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Eric B said:

All I seem to be seeing mentioned now is hybrids. Have they given up on pure electric again? I see the Proterras out everyday, but are they doing bad or something?

Not yet. We're getting hybrids because Cuomo wanted more hybrid buses in the city. The order was originally supposed to be diesels.

We still have 45 electric buses still pending.

11 minutes ago, Shawn Williams said:

aight don't be shocked when you don't see one bit of NovaLFS/A equipment on the Bk roster in the next 5 years.

Okay? Is it really that serious to have Novas leave Brooklyn?

Yeah it was apart of the original plan that several members on here said, but times change, and orders change too, so maybe the plan has changed too.

56 minutes ago, Shawn Williams said:

aight don't be shocked when you don't see one bit of NovaLFS/A equipment on the Bk roster in the next 5 years.

My guy. It's just buses. It's not that serious.

The original plan was for LFS to be in the Bronx Staten Island and QV/JA, with Xcelsiors to be in Manhattan Brooklyn and the remainder of Queens for maintenance purposes. Right now JA MQ and TU/100 (WF too if you want to count the XD40/XN60/LFSA) has a mixed fleet and it's staying like that. FB is going to stay mixed until further notice (partially) because of all the swap nonsense during the (L) shutdown. Not to even mention our 10 standard electric buses are supposed to be leaving in 2021 but it's possible they can stay longer especially with possible testing time lost due to covid.

Again, it's not that serious. Plans are always changing. You don't need to rant. 

41 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

My guy. It's just buses. It's not that serious.

The original plan was for LFS to be in the Bronx Staten Island and QV/JA, with Xcelsiors to be in Manhattan Brooklyn and the remainder of Queens for maintenance purposes. Right now JA MQ and TU/100 (WF too if you want to count the XD40/XN60/LFSA) has a mixed fleet and it's staying like that. FB is going to stay mixed until further notice (partially) because of all the swap nonsense during the (L) shutdown. Not to even mention our 10 standard electric buses are supposed to be leaving in 2021 but it's possible they can stay longer especially with possible testing time lost due to covid.

Again, it's not that serious. Plans are always changing. You don't need to rant. 

as was mentioned, coronavirus threw a monkey wrench into any future plans MTA had... including bus purchases/placements. everything is pretty much off the table. so there's absolutely no guarantees at this juncture, and if you are an informed surveyor, you'd know how many times supposed lock & key ideas/plans/proposals/moves died on the vine, so spare us the nostradamus-esque/definitely-happening-under-any-circumstances foresight/predictions

19 minutes ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

as was mentioned, coronavirus threw a monkey wrench into any future plans MTA had... including bus purchases/placements. everything is pretty much off the table. so there's absolutely no guarantees at this juncture, and if you are an informed surveyor, you'd know how many times supposed lock & key ideas/plans/proposals/moves died on the vine, so spare us the nostradamus-esque/definitely-happening-under-any-circumstances foresight/predictions

Only thing I would add is that some orders are already funded, anything that was in the past capital plan that's under order. I don't keep the closest track of the plans at this point, but I think the hybrid orders and some of the first electrics are covered under that, in the same way that say, the R211 order is still legally obliged to progress. But yes, anything beyond that is, until money shows up, DOA. And the MTA specifically said that all new 'electric bus orders' will be canceled indefinitely if they can't get their money. 

[Now, personally I think they emphasized electric just to grab the attention of the environmentalists, since there's no substantive reason if they're still planning to order diesel buses they can't order electric or hybrid buses, but that's just PR...]

4 hours ago, Shawn Williams said:

Yeah...no. I honestly don't know where you're getting this info from but its 100% false. Brooklyn could handle both NovaLFS's & LFSAs its just the DOB doesn't want to assign them anymore as of yet.

2 hours ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

If and when they get back to bus placements, put a word in for Xcelsiors to Staten. 

Kthxbai

I don't really frequent this thread, but jesus christ, the difference between those that are responsible-minded & those that are (or defend being) irresponsible in the previous page of this thread, is quite stark...

Oh, but had that kid been caught, mohhmmy would've went up to the precinct/station house - theatrics and all, on some "He's a good kid, he won't do it again" type shit.... A 21st century version of a Darius McCollum in making.... No regard for private property whatsoever.

8 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

[Now, personally I think they emphasized electric just to grab the attention of the environmentalists, since there's no substantive reason if they're still planning to order diesel buses they can't order electric or hybrid buses, but that's just PR...]

Oh I definitely agree with you there...

It's absolutely for show and its a very shrewd thing to do but it's a smart move to rile up such a vocal minority to in some ways do the work for them in terms of getting the politicians to play ball.

5 hours ago, SevenEleven said:

If and when they get back to bus placements, put a word in for Xcelsiors to Staten. 

Kthxbai

Well you never know what's going to happen with DOB on a normal day but it's doubly true when Cuomo sycophants are running the MTA...

On 8/28/2020 at 6:28 PM, SevenEleven said:

Kthxbai

That can be possible. Since Giuliani, Staten Island (the only republican majority boro) has gotten new orders. With 3 out the 4 depots that carries local routes, I see something happening, but first, renew Meredith’s lease, and make Meredith Depot a permanent depot!!!

Edited by FLX9304

I wanted to know about the stop request system. Since 2008, they added the phrase "Please exit through the rear door" when someone presses the stop button, or pull the cord. Since this is a common phrase, do some buses not have this phrase? Examples include 3800, and today 5331

8 minutes ago, RSMG106 said:

I wanted to know about the stop request system. Since 2008, they added the phrase "Please exit through the rear door" when someone presses the stop button, or pull the cord. Since this is a common phrase, do some buses not have this phrase? Examples include 3800, and today 5331

I believe bus operators can turn the announcements off.

I think when all the base order hybrids are here, I can see all the NYCT 2007 Orion VII's going to (MTA) bus to retire 3500-3599 or the majority of them. It would make sense due to the fact those buses have the highest mileage. Some 2006's might have to hang on longer as well since the priorty is to retire the 6500's and most of the 2006 units.

It was rumored that the NYCT 2006-2007 hybrids would go to MTA bus. So I can see them doing this. 

11 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

I think when all the base order hybrids are here, I can see all the NYCT 2007 Orion VII's going to (MTA) bus to retire 3500-3599 or the majority of them. It would make sense due to the fact those buses have the highest mileage. Some 2006's might have to hang on longer as well since the priorty is to retire the 6500's and most of the 2006 units.

It was rumored that the NYCT 2006-2007 hybrids would go to MTA bus. So I can see them doing this. 

I actually like that idea. The Depots that have the 2006-2007 OG Hybrid outta NYCT is East New York, Queens Village, Mother Clara Hale, Manhattanville & Micheal J. Quill if I'm not mistaken.

Edited by Ryan Francois

58 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

That would also help speed up the OMNY rollout on the bus side. Moving OMNY equipped buses en masse reduces the number of new retrofits needed since most 2007's are already equipped for Manhattan.

1 hour ago, R32 3838 said:

The 35xx hybrids are in much better condition than NYCT’s batch, particularly East New York’s. Both batches are 2006-2007 models, so it doesn’t make much sense to replace them with the same model.

1 hour ago, Snorunts said:

The 35xx hybrids are in much better condition than NYCT’s batch, particularly East New York’s. Both batches are 2006-2007 models, so it doesn’t make much sense to replace them with the same model.

I recently saw a 6800 series unit out of ENY (6821) on Instagram which had caught fire.