MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

59 minutes ago, Snorunts said:

The 35xx hybrids are in much better condition than NYCT’s batch, particularly East New York’s. Both batches are 2006-2007 models, so it doesn’t make much sense to replace them with the same model.

3500-3599 and 6690-6800 are different from the 2007 models which are 6801-6905 and 3600-3783. 2006 models are EPA 04 while the 2007 models are EPA 07 if im correct.

most of the 3500's are beat to shit, If they never swapped 3500-3524 to Far Rock back in 2012 then I would say different. BP only has a small chunk of 2006 models and gotten 3517-20 back which were beat to shit when they were brought back when the ex bee lines retired, 3523 was the only one that never left until 2019 (That one alone pissed me off) as long as they don't move 3763-3783, I'll be happy.

Plus the 2007 models are according to some drivers are the better buses vs. the 2006 models ( This was told to me years ago so I don't think it matters now)

You gotta also account that JFK's 40 foot fleet is mostly old gen orion VII's. The 3500's probably has alot more mileage than the NYCT ones. Besides the ENY ones, The ones at QV are well maintained.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also Keep in mind that the majority of Old Gen Orion VII's are in Queens and they still have contractors doing work to the Hybrids in (MTA) bus so It would make more sense to move all of the remaining 2007 Orion VII's to (MTA) bus to save money. meaning NYCT/MaBstoa Could have one less fleet to work with and all the old gens could be in (MTA) bus or If Transit did have to keep the Old gens, they'll keep them in Queens meaning Queens Village would still keep their while manhattan and brooklyn would have no old gen orion VII's. It more easier to keep em all in Queens. Also this would make Grand Ave 95% Xcelsior, ENY would probably gain more NG's on top of probably getting XDE40's. I could See Grand, ENY,FP and MJQ getting the XDE40's

Edited by R32 3838

36 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

Also Keep in mind that the majority of Old Gen Orion VII's are in Queens and they still have contractors doing work to the Hybrids in (MTA) bus so It would make more sense to move all of the remaining 2007 Orion VII's to (MTA) bus to save money. meaning NYCT/MaBstoa Could have one less fleet to work with and all the old gens could be in (MTA) bus or If Transit did have to keep the Old gens, they'll keep them in Queens meaning Queens Village would still keep their while manhattan and brooklyn would have no old gen orion VII's. It more easier to keep em all in Queens. Also this would make Grand Ave 95% Xcelsior, ENY would probably gain more NG's on top of probably getting XDE40's. I could See Grand, ENY,FP and MJQ getting the XDE40's

Those contractors are the folks at Northeastern Bus Rebuilders at JFK, they work on anything Orion or New Flyer for both MTA Bus and Transit. Moving the buses over to MTA Bus won't really save them money, that's a cost neutral move, especially since some parts between the OGs and NGs are compatible with one another.

Edited by Cait Sith

8 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

Those contractors are the folks at Northeastern Bus Rebuilders at JFK, they work on anything Orion or New Flyer for both MTA Bus and Transit. Moving the buses over to MTA Bus won't really save them money, that's a cost neutral move, especially since some parts between the OGs and NGs are compatible with one another.

I read where they have some sort of contractor that work on certain parts of the Hybrids at (MTA) bus, It's in a MTA document. This Is why they didn't convert the (MTA) bus Orion VII's (both Old and Next Gens) to diesel since it was cheaper to go with the contractor. I've seen them do some type of troubleshooting work to the Hybrids when I used to live near Baisley Park dept. I don't know if they still come over to the depots to do work but that was the main reason why they didn't convert the buses to diesel.

2 hours ago, Kevin Madson said:

Also, for the people who are speculating as to where the LFS hybrids are going, it's pretty clear that most of these along with the XDE40s are going to depots that have Orion 7.501 OG hybrids (ENY, FP, MCH, MJQ, and MV). These are for NYCT garages only.

Once again, stop assuming. We don't know 100% where those LFS HEVs or XDE40s are going, even if it's obvious. It can get as random as seeing some of them in SI, or in WF, you never know.

So just like everyone else, please be patient until we have someone that has the sources and connections to confirm where stuff is going.

18 minutes ago, NBTA said:

Once again, stop assuming. We don't know 100% where those LFS HEVs or XDE40s are going, even if it's obvious. It can get as random as seeing some of them in SI, or in WF, you never know.

So just like everyone else, please be patient until we have someone that has the sources and connections to confirm where stuff is going.

Well I'll tell you right now that the whole SI bit is not happening. Remember, the MTA wanted to get all the remaining 2009-2010 Orion 7.501 Next Generation hybrids off of Staten Island given the fact that they don't do well out there due to the higher speeds and less in the way of stop and go areas. They got those 2019 Nova LFS diesels for that specific purpose while the NG's left the island to go replace older buses on other boroughs. I understand that the hybriddrive battery pack systems on these buses (the upcoming LFS hybrids in particular whereas the New Flyer buses will be a mix bag for some reason)  will be a more advanced version than what the TA is used to (not counting the 10 existing XDE40 test buses at GA), but they will still be made by BAE systems, which had previously equipped the Orion 7 family with this tech. As it stands right now, the only electric buses that will be instore for the borough in the near future will be the full on EV buses (whenever those arrive). Until then, like I was trying to originally tell everyone on here, let's just wait and see. Thank you

2 hours ago, Kevin Madson said:

Well I'll tell you right now that the whole SI bit is not happening. Remember, the MTA wanted to get all the remaining 2009-2010 Orion 7.501 Next Generation hybrids off of Staten Island given the fact that they don't do well out there due to the higher speeds and less in the way of stop and go areas.

I'm curious why Eastchester has a local fleet of NG's if they have the Q50 and Bx23 which travel on the highway, Q50 moreso. 

6 minutes ago, danielhg121 said:

I'm curious why Eastchester has a local fleet of NG's if they have the Q50 and Bx23 which travel on the highway, Q50 moreso. 

I really don't have an answer for that one. Most likely the NGs were all they could send to the depot being that all they had at the time were old buses (RTS's and Orion Vs) and that these were slightly better off at highway speeds than their OG counterparts. Though that does not explain why they didn't get some of the 2015 XD40s...

6 hours ago, Kevin Madson said:

Also, for the people who are speculating as to where the LFS hybrids are going, it's pretty clear that most of these along with the XDE40s are going to depots that have Orion 7.501 OG hybrids (ENY, FP, MCH, MJQ, and MV). These are for NYCT garages only.

3 hours ago, Kevin Madson said:

Well I'll tell you right now that the whole SI bit is not happening. Remember, the MTA wanted to get all the remaining 2009-2010 Orion 7.501 Next Generation hybrids off of Staten Island given the fact that they don't do well out there due to the higher speeds and less in the way of stop and go areas. They got those 2019 Nova LFS diesels for that specific purpose while the NG's left the island to go replace older buses on other boroughs. I understand that the hybriddrive battery pack systems on these buses (the upcoming LFS hybrids in particular whereas the New Flyer buses will be a mix bag for some reason)  will be a more advanced version than what the TA is used to (not counting the 10 existing XDE40 test buses at GA), but they will still be made by BAE systems, which had previously equipped the Orion 7 family with this tech. As it stands right now, the only electric buses that will be instore for the borough in the near future will be the full on EV buses (whenever those arrive). Until then, like I was trying to originally tell everyone on here, let's just wait and see. Thank you

That's not telling anyone to wait, that's making everyone think that they are going to those depots. 

The NG's are 10 year old buses, who says that they won't send LFS HEVs to SI as a supplement to the novas? It can push out the 3Gs to other boroughs. Like I said, it's all speculation, not guarantees. Like I also said previously, you never know, you can see XDE40s in Eastchester for all i know, we just have to wait. What you said, is different from waiting. 

54 minutes ago, Kevin Madson said:

I really don't have an answer for that one. Most likely the NGs were all they could send to the depot being that all they had at the time were old buses (RTS's and Orion Vs) and that these were slightly better off at highway speeds than their OG counterparts. Though that does not explain why they didn't get some of the 2015 XD40s...

Sorry for a double post, but they were never slated to have the 2015 XD40s, plus, the buses they replaced were all pre-1996 buses. They moved those RTS to Jamaica, and those Orions around the Bronx. 

13 minutes ago, NBTA said:

That's not telling anyone to wait, that's making everyone think that they are going to those depots. 

The NG's are 10 year old buses, who says that they won't send LFS HEVs to SI as a supplement to the novas? It can push out the 3Gs to other boroughs. Like I said, it's all speculation, not guarantees. Like I also said previously, you never know, you can see XDE40s in Eastchester for all i know, we just have to wait. What you said, is different from waiting. 

To be honest with you, this order isn't even set in stone as the current MTA crisis is threaten to cancel some bus orders. 

3 minutes ago, Kevin Madson said:

To be honest with you, this order isn't even set in stone as the current MTA crisis is threaten to cancel some bus orders. 

So why are there two LFS HEVs made?

And why are the numbers for both orders set in stone?

4 minutes ago, Kevin Madson said:

The 2012 MTA bus company Orion VII 3G CNG order had the first couple of buses built, but was cancelled soon after.

Orion folded......

Volvo and New Flyer are bus making giants, they aren't leaving, or canceling any orders anytime soon.