MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

Y'all have it all wrong. 

138 XN40's are replacing the oldest 134 Orion VII CNG's, with a fleet expansion of 4 buses included in the order.

The last 125 will be replaced by 110 XN60's. 110 Artics is the equivalent of about 164-165 standards. That means there is a fleet expansion, and West Farms will lose diesel artics in place of new CNG units.

The XN40's will begin delivery first, and will be accelerated with 5 pilots. The XN60 order has not yet been awarded, but I was able to confirm there will also be a minimum of 4 pilots for that order as well, and it will follow the the XN40 in order to wipe out the entire Orion CNG fleet by the end of 2017.

Edited by East New York

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Y'all have it all wrong. 

138 XN40's are replacing the oldest 134 Orion VII CNG's, with a fleet expansion of 4 buses included in the order.

The last 125 will be replaced by 110 XN60's. 110 Artics is the equivalent of about 164-165 standards. That means there is a fleet expansion, and West Farms will lose diesel artics in place of new CNG units.

The XN40's will begin delivery first, and will be accelerated with 5 pilots. The XN60 order has not yet been awarded, but I was able to confirm there will also be a minimum of 4 pilots for that order as well, and it will follow the the XN40 in order to wipe out the entire Orion CNG fleet by the end of 2017.

so if you are right than what routes will be converted other than the b35.

Edited by East New York

None at the moment. They are only confirmed for the 35, and the 8 is being evaluated. No other Gleason route has a chance at ever seeing them outside of any run-offs

I still wanna know where they gonna park them on layover with the 35 in Brownsville. It's to the point buses double park all up Hegeman (half the block is regular street parking), park (and sometimes double park, I kid you not) in the triangle caused by the splitting of Hegeman/New Lots, at the stop before the last, and even past the last/first stop.

Now the B8 is gonna be even more hilarious, since there's even LESS parking on Rockaway. There's always buses peaked back at the old terminal on E.98/Hegeman.

Non Gleason wise, one route that has a good chance of CNG artics is the Bx36. Pretty sure it could be one of the converts along with the B35 and B8.

Kinda obvious the Bx36 would get them since they already run artics

Wow, the math here is soooo off, it's unbelievable lol. I see we forgot the size difference between Standard 40footers and the articulated buses. From what I've heard, WF actually want to be fully CNGs but we'll have for the announced assignments coming soon. The way I see it, both West Farms and Gleason have a shot at this order but things can change. C40s are gonna be seriously moved from Gleason into West Farms, I say about 50-75 C40 in my calculations, if there's a somewhat equal amount that each depot will take....

Meh.... well as I said before, (and has been said to death every time a new order is awarded) let's wait and soon.... Too early to tell what amount of XN60s will go to both depots now.

Actually the buses are already assigned preliminarily.... I already mentioned that WF was going all CNG, and yes, the wait and see approach is always best. The assignments will be posted as soon as they are available. 

I still wanna know where they gonna park them on layover with the 35 in Brownsville. It's to the point buses double park all up Hegeman (half the block is regular street parking), park (and sometimes double park, I kid you not) in the triangle caused by the splitting of Hegeman/New Lots, at the stop before the last, and even past the last/first stop.

Now the B8 is gonna be even more hilarious, since there's even LESS parking on Rockaway. There's always buses peaked back at the old terminal on E.98/Hegeman.

LMAO!! I know, and I agree! You know I've been over there plenty of times. But 2 artics are equal to 3 40's, plus about 6 feet for spacing. Headways will be slightly reduced as well. Restructuring the terminal for both the 8 and 35, and possibly combining them might be nice, but where would it be is the million dollar question.

West Farms is just going to replace Novas, and the Bx6, and 35 are said to be under evaluation. As you said the 36 it pretty obvious.

I think both routes should be extended to Junius for easy connection to the (L) (and then return on Hegeman, of course). There is plenty fof space there, on both sides of the street for the stops and layovers.

So that's an additional benefit of extending it there

Edited by Eric B

I think both routes should be extended to Junius for easy connection to the (L) (and then return on Hegeman, of course). There is plenty fof space there, on both sides of the street for the stops and layovers.

So that's an additional benefit of extending it there

That little one block stub of Junius is a two-way street

OK; still, the southbound side (however much would be needed) should be enough.

(I wonder why they make just that one block two way, when you can only get into it from Linden Blvd. westbound and other nearby streets are northbound, and it turns into southbound only past New Lots).

Edited by Eric B

So their not going to run any on the B9 when the N train is out?

I'm still going to have to deal with being passed up by 2 packed buses in a row?

SMH.

Atleast you have subway service. The areas the B8 and B35 serve have no subways at all (you should see the B8 ridership east of Nostrand).

Does BYD really have a good shot at an order?

Yes they do, however the current hybrid they have is not built for NYC transit conditions. The TA is supposed to test another version at some point. However, even if they do have a shot, It doesn't appear that it will be anytime so as all new buses have to go through qualification testing before they are approved for NYC Transit/Bus Company service.

Playing a little bit of catch up here.

Well, here is the actual inside scoop. MTA would have gotten more MCI's on the last order, however, budgeting stepped in and said no. We want you (DOB) to go with the Prevost on this one because the fuel economy is better. MCI averages about 3 MPG whereas Prevost Averages about 4.38 MPG. 300 buses saving more than a gallon per hour averages up to about 75,000 gallons saved per fleet fill up.

I also heard it was also because of problems with the tag axles, as some of the parts/the entire tag axle is not from Meritor, but from a 3rd party associated with MCI. There have been instances with the tag axles falling out, and the suits were not happy with that when they went to check those buses out at Charleston.

It's part of the reason why you hear the loud banging in the interior at the very rear of those MCIs sometimes.

I can see a lot of moves taking place within this year and next year
The QM4 didn't move for no reason. The MTA is just preparing CP for artics one day and if they did get XD60's some of those express buses needed to go in order to fuel the articulated buses.

I wouldn't say that just yet. It's being said that the Q53 is staying at CP till 2017, and LGA recently had their lot expansion construction to accommodate more buses. If/when the QM24/25 goes to CP, they'll have more than enough room for those artics. We'll find out what the fate of the Q53 will be once December comes through.

As for artics on the Q8, they better test it first, because 101 Avenue can be very hellacious when it's backed up.

Edited by Cait Sith

OK; still, the southbound side (however much would be needed) should be enough.

(I wonder why they make just that one block two way, when you can only get into it from Linden Blvd. westbound and other nearby streets are northbound, and it turns into southbound only past New Lots).

They could. Just wipe out parking on that whole block and you're set. The entrance to the parking lot leads to both Linden & New Lots, so traffic won't be impacted coming out from there.

...and they finally opened the Burger King there. Surprised the hell out of me while I was walking to UPS earlier today lol

On second thought, we know the B35 and B8 are being considered for artics. What about running them on the Fort Hamilton school trippers?

Currently, 10 or 12 40 footers (8 B16s and 2 B63s) serve each period (8,9 and 10-all the seniors who leave 7th pile on to the 1:26 B16)

Could they decide to just run 7 artics(5 B16s and 2 B63s) instead? It frees up 12 regular ones.

Actually we are all getting ahead of ourselves here! lol Both contracts still have open option orders for one. The next batches will be exercised soon. The 72 was just the first option award for NF. This will be their second..

The combined option delivery schedule for both NFI and Nova are as follows:

60 buses by June

120 buses between July-September

220 buses between October-December

20 buses between January and February 2017 (Nova)

This means we still have plenty of RTS buses that will be running around...... I feel like a dad repeating myself! lol. I told yall for the last 3 years that through 2017 MTA was Guaranteed to keep most of the remaining buses buses in the 4900-5249 range, as well as the best 25 out of the 9350-9699 series. Anyone remember those posts? Through 2018-2019

There are roughly 658 RTS' in service.

658-420 New options leaves 238 buses remaining in February of next year.

The remaining 100 or so buses in the 8750-9349 range will be retired by August 2016.

The remaining 218 or so buses in the 9350-9699 batch, should be gone by December with the best 5-7 of them likely to still be hanging on.

That leaves us with 340 buses remaining in the 4900-5249 range. About 75 of these will be retired and put int storage.

This leaves us with roughly 238 of the best 9600's, and 4900-5249.

By Summer/Fall 2017 Those are going to start making their way to the scrapper. There are 208 remaining 40 foot options. By the end of 2017 I expect the best 145 of the 5105-5249 batch to still be around. By 2018 no more than 30-75 should be left on the roster.

By 2019 Hopefully the MTA throws us an RTS retirement party. The last remaining buses are said to iconically retire out of Quill (Manhattan Division Headquarters) East New York (Surface Transit Headquarters).

However, rumor does have it that depending on the condition of the both RTS buses, and the OG hybrids in 2019, all 145 of the 5105-5245 could still be around, with possible more. They could start to retire the 2003 models which are 6365-6391, and the last of the '02 ESB's end at 6489. If they retire all 125 or even more of the newer ones, MTA could be sticking to there original plans of keeping the RTS through 2020.

MTA is playing this one by ear, but the hybrids are holding up a bit better than expected, and MTA maintenance are pro's on the model now.

The OG's will be 16 by then, and the remaining RTS will be 30.

The remaining 208 options should have been exercised by then. Thats when the OG's will begin there retirement. There there will be 200 diesels and 75 hybrids that will begin to replace everything in the 6365-6639 range. If the 3500's aren't re-powered by then they will be up next.

I got a question Which RTS NovaBUS model is the best out of 8750-9349, 9350-9699 and 4900-5249.