MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

19 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

I still remember when we all thought they were on the verge of the order for 90. I was hearing rumors of it from all over, I think Dante was hearing the same thing from higher ups, we had a whole little thread on it lmao. That one didn't exactly pan out. Real shame.

I was rooting so hard for those buses to succeed. They were something different alright...

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Future ENY OP said:

MHV/TU/MQ/MCH  Lead acids: My guesses are Grand Avenue (GA), Fresh Pond (FP), Flatbush (FB) and Queens- (MTA) bus. 

Excellent update!

No they go to scrap, 3960 and up would probably get shifted around to (MTA) bus and etc. to kill off the remaining old gens.

9 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

Preliminary assignments of the new fleet are as follows. Depot assignments were set this week, allotments were set today. SUBJECT TO CHANGE.

LFS Hybrids: Kingsbridge: 25. Manhattanville: 58. MJQ: 62. Tusgekee Airmen: 20. Options as follows, Gun Hill: 20. Manhattanville: 94. MJQ: 12
XDEs : East New York: 25. Manhattanville: 15. Hale: 45. Casey Stengel: 25.
Prevost x3-45s: BP: 8 CP: 82 ECH: 48 JK/FR: 23 LGA: 22 SC: 45 YO: 39. All 50 buses for NYC Bus is rumored to go to Meredith.
LFS Diesel OPTION ORDER: East New York: 69. Casey Stengel: 50. Jamaica: 20. Queens Village: 50. Castleton: 20.

As always, this is SUBJECT TO CHANGE.

Also, 1301 is at Plattsburgh pending delivery to the service center.

The ones in bold threw me in a loop of bewilderment.. But those will be interesting to see.

9 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

Preliminary assignments of the new fleet are as follows. Depot assignments were set this week, allotments were set today. SUBJECT TO CHANGE.

LFS Hybrids: Kingsbridge: 25. Manhattanville: 58. MJQ: 62. Tusgekee Airmen: 20. Options as follows, Gun Hill: 20. Manhattanville: 94. MJQ: 12
Prevost x3-45s: BP: 8 CP: 82 ECH: 48 JK/FR: 23 LGA: 22 SC: 45 YO: 39. All 50 buses for NYC Bus is rumored to go to Meredith.
LFS Diesel OPTION ORDER: East New York: 69. Casey Stengel: 50. Jamaica: 20. Queens Village: 50. Castleton: 20.

I love that word subject to change, because  anything  can change up on the list, I do believe  that it will, change again because im a bit biased  on it rn but I do like that SC is on there for something  new, I'm just shocked  that FP isn't  on the XDE40 list or GA that's  all.

Edited by Ultimategamer12c

24 minutes ago, limitednyc said:

i wonder if they plan to transfers 2009/10 to nta bus so they can retire there 2005/6 busses?

i believe that is happening, the MTA local and limited are getting hand me down NGs from NYCT, while from the list caitsith gave, they may start retiring the MCIs as the prevosts roll in, I think thats what is happening

33 minutes ago, Ultimategamer12c said:

I love that word subject to change, because  anything  can change up on the list, I hope that it will change again because im a bit biased  on it rn but I do like that SC is on there for something  new, I'm just shocked  that FP isn't  on the XDE40 list or GA that's  all.

7 hours ago, limitednyc said:

i wonder if they plan to transfers 2009/10 to nta bus so they can retire there 2005/6 busses?

MTA bus is the land of the hand me downs especially JFK. That’s where buses go right before they pass on lol. 

They already sent some 3800 series Orion’s to JFK to replace the 05 Orion VII’s so I expect them to receive more Orion VII’s from NYCT especially if MTA bus doesn’t have any new orders coming up. It will definitely buy them some more time before they have to order new buses. Then I guess when the time comes MTA bus can get one massive order of buses. 

18 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

82 to CP? Starting when? 

If you ask me (which no one did lol), I think giving brand new buses to OH and OF Depots is a waste. They’re only going to appear on three routes. If they were to go elsewhere, OH and OF could still upgrade their fleet with slightly older (yet still newish) buses (2014-19 models). Maybe the wide rear doors is part of the reason why the vast majority are planned for Manhattan service. Anything is subject to change, so let’s see where everything gets delivered to and transferred to.

10 minutes ago, Snorunts said:

If you ask me (which no one did lol), I think giving brand new buses to OH and OF Depots is a waste. They’re only going to appear on three routes. If they were to go elsewhere, OH and OF could still upgrade their fleet with slightly older (yet still newish) buses (2014-19 models). Maybe the wide rear doors is part of the reason why the vast majority are planned for Manhattan service. Anything is subject to change, so let’s see where everything gets delivered to and transferred to.

If that were the logic, the dedicated fleets for SBS routes would never have happened! 

15 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

If that were the logic, the dedicated fleets for SBS routes would never have happened! 

I was just about to say something similar to that too lol.

Also, OH getting new 40ft buses gives an advantage to mileage swaps, as they'd literally have the lowest mileage of any 40ft bus in the system collectively. The idea of buses only appearing on a certain number of lines is merely busfan talk(no offense), and is irrelevant to the bigger picture of the longevity of the fleet and future assignments.

If anyone kept score of the preliminary assignments, Manhattan isn't getting a single piece of the LFS diesel option order, which is very telling of what they're doing with Manhattan specifically.....going back to the years of 2002 and 2003, where the city and the state are trying to promote the hybrid fleet in the city. It appears that we'll be going back to that yet again. And with OF being the newest depot, it makes the most sense for them to get new buses.

It will be interesting to see if they'll allow those LFS Hybrids to run on the M66 and M72....the XDEs were able to run on those lines without much issue, so it's very likely that some of the LFS Hybrids might sneak on those lines.

9 hours ago, NBTA said:

The ones in bold threw me in a loop of bewilderment.. But those will be interesting to see.

Just remember that Casey Stengel wasn't supposed to get XD40s to begin with....they only got them as an emergency option to retire the Orion Vs.

3 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

It will be interesting to see if they'll allow those LFS Hybrids to run on the M66 and M72....the XDEs were able to run on those lines without much issue, so it's very likely that some of the LFS Hybrids might sneak on those lines.

Now that you mention it, how tall is an LFS hybrid?

Speaking of the devil, there's an XE40 on the M66 as we speak.

1 minute ago, Around the Horn said:

Now that you mention it, how tall is an LFS hybrid?

Speaking of the devil, there's an XE40 on the M66 as we speak.

I believe it's roughly the same height, give or take an inch or two less or more.

Also, for those keeping track of Brooklyn's 6700s and 6800s, don't expect FP's batch to come out as often as ENY's. From what I'm hearing, those buses will only be out if they're down on NGs or Xcelsiors. Those are like their own reserve fleet.

19 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

I knew that College Point is going to get nearly 85 buses (Subject to change of course). I may ride on the Series 60 D4500s in the next two weeks or so, one last time before they go. And also, Meredith getting all 50 NYCT Prevosts is kind of ridiculous to me. I understand that it would displace the other buses to other depots in Staten Island, but I think the (MTA) should use the original plan and take the 50 buses to Charleston and Yukon (Sourced from TTMG's Insider Guide).

Edited by RSMG106

54 minutes ago, RSMG106 said:

I knew that College Point is going to get nearly 85 buses (Subject to change of course). I may ride on the Series 60 D4500s in the next two weeks or so, one last time before they go. And also, Meredith getting all 50 NYCT Prevosts is kind of ridiculous to me. I understand that it would displace the other buses to other depots in Staten Island, but I think the (MTA) should use the original plan and take the 50 buses to Charleston and Yukon (Sourced from TTMG's Insider Guide).

Disclose it. I meant 50 buses in NYCT to go to Charleston only. Not sure if the MTA will get the option order of 23, and taking it to Yukon.

2 hours ago, RSMG106 said:

Not sure where you got the idea that Charleston and Yukon was in the original plan, because it wasn't. The 50 Prevosts was for the possible takeover of the SIM23/24. I'm not if that's gonna happen so soon. No depot assignments were planned at the time.

If what I'm hearing is true, the 2400s at Meredith will be MTA Bus bound to retire more MCIs. Word is that Spring Creek will get them, but I wouldn't be surprised if CP would get them instead. 

Edited by Cait Sith

40 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

Not sure where you got the idea that Charleston and Yukon was in the original plan, because it wasn't. The 50 Prevosts was for the possible takeover of the SIM23/24. I'm not if that's gonna happen so soon. No depot assignments were planned at the time.

If what I'm hearing is true, the 2400s at Meredith will be MTA Bus bound to retire more MCIs. Word is that Spring Creek will get them, but I wouldn't be surprised if CP would get them instead. 

Oh. My apologizes sir. I was anxious to know about this information. Anyway, if the 2400s moving out of Meredith would've been true, then my guess would be that it would go to CP. Since that both CP and Meredith got 18 of the D4500s and 18 2400s respectively.

1 hour ago, Calvin said:

There are some Orion VII Gen II+ units that have OMNY bases. Eventually, when they are in the retirement process, can the bases be put on a new delivered bus or a new base will be installed?

Those aren't going anywhere until 2022,If the Option order Diesel Buses are a done deal then those will kill those remaining 2007 orions out.

23 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

honestly we wasnt expecting these types of assignments

16 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

Those aren't going anywhere until 2022,If the Option order Diesel Buses are a done deal then those will kill those remaining 2007 orions out.

I think Calvin was asking something different. If I understood correctly, he was wondering if the OMNY bases on buses that will be sent to scrap in the future will be removed and given to buses that haven’t had any bases installed yet (newly delivered buses).

1 minute ago, Snorunts said:

I think Calvin was asking something different. If I understood correctly, he was wondering if the OMNY bases on buses that will be sent to scrap in the future will be removed and given to buses that haven’t had any bases installed yet (newly delivered buses).

Yeah I thought he was talking about the 66xx and 67xx buses on their way out. And the answer is: they can move the bases just as easily as they move fareboxes etc.

2 hours ago, Snorunts said:

1 hour ago, MHV9218 said:

Yeah I thought he was talking about the 66xx and 67xx buses on their way out. And the answer is: they can move the bases just as easily as they move fareboxes etc.

That was my thought to this (66-67-68xx) and the 3500 units from MTA Bus. 6772 is what I was thinking of at that time. 

From what I've heard, there were a few that LGA got rid of either to storage or so (ex.3606). However, BP did have units with OMNY bases like 3658. Also, many thanks for the clarification. 

Edited by Calvin