MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

3 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

They're gonna have to do some serious thinking about range if they run them out of Eastchester. Q50 runs probably have some of the highest daily mileage of any one route, and I don't know if you can charge them up enough during lay-overs. The 23 on the other hand is short and sweet, but I assume everything's interlined. 

Question is how well the Proterras are doing on the 57/59/62, longer routes like that which really test the range. Seems like at least 1-2 of the BE40s are on the 32/39 every day. One of them's been at the vendor.

Lots of TAs(including mta) are keeping a close eye on Seattle, as they are testing various Proterras and XEs with different ranges and specs. The XE40s we have are fast charge, short-range spec buses. I think the XE60s we have are slow charge, long-range spec buses. I gotta look at the specs again.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

Lots of TAs(including mta) are keeping a close eye on Seattle, as they are testing various Proterras and XEs with different ranges and specs. The XE40s we have are fast charge, short-range spec buses. I think the XE60s we have are slow charge, long-range spec buses. I gotta look at the specs again.

Interesting, that'd make sense they'd be ahead on electrics out there. It seems to me like XE40 > Proterra > BYD in terms of how the technology goes, not sure why so few agencies are pursuing LFSe fleets. Interesting too that agencies seem more comfortable with XE60s than XE40s.

Also a ton of states and localities that are supposed to buy American, which makes it complicated, since BYD is practically a Chinese state company that happens to have a factory in CA, and (less controversially) New Flyer is obviously Canadian with US plants). With Biden just announcing the federal fleet is going electric, I think this whole field is about to get crowded in a hurry. Hopefully that means these fleets do a little better.

5 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

They were(at one point) planned for Eastchester. Eastchester was one of the depots originally announced for electric conversion.

yeah that would make sense with them having the Bx23/Q50. Q50 is questionable but I think they could run on the Q50 with no issues now compared to the designline when it died on the triboro on the M60.

16 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

yeah that would make sense with them having the Bx23/Q50. Q50 is questionable but I think they could run on the Q50 with no issues now compared to the designline when it died on the triboro on the M60.

To be fair that was a different situation, that was the turbine was too weak to power the electric propulsion system; this is about how much range the bus has. No doubt a Proterra/XE40 makes it across the route, probably even goes faster than a diesel – question is how long it keeps its charge. DOB says on cold days it's only 2/3 advertised range.

1 hour ago, MHV9218 said:

Interesting, that'd make sense they'd be ahead on electrics out there. It seems to me like XE40 > Proterra > BYD in terms of how the technology goes, not sure why so few agencies are pursuing LFSe fleets. Interesting too that agencies seem more comfortable with XE60s than XE40s.

Also a ton of states and localities that are supposed to buy American, which makes it complicated, since BYD is practically a Chinese state company that happens to have a factory in CA, and (less controversially) New Flyer is obviously Canadian with US plants). With Biden just announcing the federal fleet is going electric, I think this whole field is about to get crowded in a hurry. Hopefully that means these fleets do a little better.

The LFS electric has intrigued me as well. Vancouver is getting 15 of them, as the test units they have are doing really well.

I see most agencies here shifting to the XEs. Proterra has been on the bad side of things as of late, most notably with SEPTA. All of their units are permanently OOS due to structural problems.

1 hour ago, Cait Sith said:

The LFS electric has intrigued me as well. Vancouver is getting 15 of them, as the test units they have are doing really well.

I see most agencies here shifting to the XEs. Proterra has been on the bad side of things as of late, most notably with SEPTA. All of their units are permanently OOS due to structural problems.

Didn't know that, that's a bad sign. They're getting a lot of attention as a company but not sure that's translated into build quality yet. Seems like they're doing best in Miami where it's a warm climate. I know LA split their electric order between BYD and Proterra, which doesn't sound like the most reliable combo. Normally I'd bet we order more XE40s than BE40s, but the charging/battery setup sort of makes me think they'll want to try BE40s - the XE40 fleet clearly isn't designed for anything except crosstowns and niche routes. 

Worth noting that BYD is soaking up all the Latin American contracts since they're cheap and Chinese-run, more compatible politics there.

19 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

They're gonna have to do some serious thinking about range if they run them out of Eastchester. Q50 runs probably have some of the highest daily mileage of any one route, and I don't know if you can charge them up enough during lay-overs. The 23 on the other hand is short and sweet, but I assume everything's interlined. 

Question is how well the Proterras are doing on the 57/59/62, longer routes like that which really test the range. Seems like at least 1-2 of the BE40s are on the 32/39 every day. One of them's been at the vendor.

The buses on the Q59, since driver reliefs are made mid route in front of the depot, can stay out on the road for many hours.  As for all the other routes you mention, the drivers pull the bus out of the depot at the beginning of their tour, pull the bus into the depot for their swings (lunch) then pull the bus in at the end of their tours.  Therefore, an electric bus can be recharged at that time, depending on of course, other buses being available.  Yes, I am aware that there is a charger at Williamsburg Bridge Plaza.

Just about for all Grand Ave. routes, the driver does one route on his first half and another on his second half.  Since the B47 and B62 both have to go a good distance just to get on route, a driver might have a long pull out on one half of his day, then a short pull out on his second half. 

The articulated B38, to my knowledge, the drivers are on the route all day, but still pull in and out in the same manner as above.

Not surprised the proterras at Septa are out due to structural issues. The ones the MTA have horrible ride quality, rode one on broadway on the B47 and that thing rattled so bad, few days later rode an NG on the same street and the ride was much smoother.

Edited by trainfan22

2 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Not surprised the proterras at Septa are out due to structural issues. The ones the MTA have horrible ride quality, rode one on broadway on the B47 and that thing rattled so bad, few days later rode an NG on the same street and the ride was much smoother.

I've been on Proterra 17, 18, and 19 and the rides were very smooth. Interesting to hear that the one you rode on rattled a lot.

2 hours ago, lornaevo said:

I don’t see how an Arctic would be a good idea on the Q25. There are some very tight turns on that route as it is. 

Maybe it's for the Q66? That route is pretty straightforward and there are some straight runs.  The thought of an artic on the Q25 would also mean they would be allowed on the 34 and 65 as the trips are interlined. But then again they do Q66 run-offs on the Q34 Flushing to Whitestone and the thought of an artic on the Q34 is rather hysterical lol. 

1 hour ago, danielhg121 said:

Maybe it's for the Q66? That route is pretty straightforward and there are some straight runs.  The thought of an artic on the Q25 would also mean they would be allowed on the 34 and 65 as the trips are interlined. But then again they do Q66 run-offs on the Q34 Flushing to Whitestone and the thought of an artic on the Q34 is rather hysterical lol. 

Yeah the entire CP artic situation is interesting. I projected the 25/34 (25 becomes full limited, 34 becomes full local) would get them, and then the 66, then the 65 would be last. 

5 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

Could have been there for maintenance or training. 

11 hours ago, NBTA said:

Yeah the entire CP artic situation is interesting. I projected the 25/34 (25 becomes full limited, 34 becomes full local) would get them, and then the 66, then the 65 would be last. 

Yeah I don’t see it going on the Q66 unless they remove that first turn leaving the plaza. That’s barely doable most days if someone is parked on the corner. 

1 hour ago, lornaevo said:

Yeah I don’t see it going on the Q66 unless they remove that first turn leaving the plaza. That’s barely doable most days if someone is parked on the corner. 

The BOs on here have posted that the artics are just as easy, if not easier, to maneuver than the 40 footers because of the excellent turning radius, so if a regular bus could make a turn, seems like an artic could as well

6 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

The BOs on here have posted that the artics are just as easy, if not easier, to maneuver than the 40 footers because of the excellent turning radius, so if a regular bus could make a turn, seems like an artic could as well

That’s good info. Thanks. I’ve never driven an Arctic so I really don’t know.