MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

7 hours ago, Snorunts said:

I find the current assignments for the Nova HEVs really well. GH/KB may become 100% Novabus if they decide to push out their remaining NG Hybrids. Manhattan will finally get their bus fleet modernized.

I can definitely see Queens Village Depot getting buses from Bronx to retire the 07 Hybrids.

This I agree with.. Since both Kingsbridge and Gun Hill have about 30 NG's each.  Those could wipe if not all of QV's hybrids.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, The Real said:

All of the options was exercised on the Nova order, so yes, its not 291 LFS HEV Smart Bus units along with the 209 LFS Diesel Smart Bus units.

Are the XD40s options going to be taken? I can only assume that since the pandemic , and budget constraints that it may or may not happen . And if so at a later time?

59 minutes ago, Ty24 said:

Are the XD40s options going to be taken? I can only assume that since the pandemic , and budget constraints that it may or may not happen . And if so at a later time?

The options for the 84 additional XDE40s and 139 XD40s are still available but have not been exercised and it is unknown if or when it will be.

4 hours ago, The Real said:

All of the options was exercised on the Nova order, so yes, its not 291 LFS HEV Smart Bus units along with the 209 LFS Diesel Smart Bus units.

Wish they didnt order more diesels. 500 Hybrids would be better considering the climate crisis.

35 minutes ago, happy283 said:

Wish they didnt order more diesels. 500 Hybrids would be better considering the climate crisis.

Don't worry, the hybrids get mileage almost as bad as the diesels in regular use. 

Now, once Proterra figures out how to run a bus that works under 45º outside and New Flyer gets its act together for range, we're moving on electrics...

18 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

Now, once Proterra figures out how to run a bus that works under 45º outside and New Flyer gets its act together for range, we're moving on electrics...

I heard that the Proterra's battery also drains when it's really hot out because the A/C is taxing on battery life as well. 

4 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

Don't worry, the hybrids get mileage almost as bad as the diesels in regular use. 

If that were the case, the XE40 wouldn't have ever been considered by the TTC (notable for being Nova territory and passing up on trying the LFSe when starting the electric bus program).

1 hour ago, Lex said:

If that were the case, the XE40 wouldn't have ever been considered by the TTC (notable for being Nova territory and passing up on trying the LFSe when starting the electric bus program).

Well, nobody's really ordering LFSes, for whatever reason. There are only a handful of operators whereas XE40s are all over the place. I don't really know why but it seems like Nova is behind on the electric technology by a fair amount. TTC was only going to do one or the other, no reason to disrupt the fleet with a non-Canadian brand like Proterra or Chinese BYD. New Flyer has been better out of the gate but they haven't really achieved long-distance range solution for XE40s, from what I understand. The XE60s are much better on range. Next step is New Flyer putting the electric tech into MCIs, and I believe Van Hool is licensing Proterra's battery equipment for its fleet.

On 2/5/2021 at 1:16 PM, happy283 said:

Well the truth of the matter is, that Clean Diesel is now just as clean as Hybrid-Electrics and the only REAL reason to get Hybrids now is more so for the tax breaks.

On 2/5/2021 at 7:42 PM, MHV9218 said:

Well, nobody's really ordering LFSes, for whatever reason. There are only a handful of operators whereas XE40s are all over the place. I don't really know why but it seems like Nova is behind on the electric technology by a fair amount. TTC was only going to do one or the other, no reason to disrupt the fleet with a non-Canadian brand like Proterra or Chinese BYD. New Flyer has been better out of the gate but they haven't really achieved long-distance range solution for XE40s, from what I understand. The XE60s are much better on range. Next step is New Flyer putting the electric tech into MCIs, and I believe Van Hool is licensing Proterra's battery equipment for its fleet.

Nova is playing it smart. Instead of just jumping into the Electric game like New Flyer did trying to play catch up to Proterra because Proterra has the most AEBs on the road than any manufacturer, Nova is doing its research and doing all of its testing in Canada in the the cold climate to make sure their product meets expectations. The LFSe+ is the result of that and now they are taking orders for them with Vancouver and Brampton being the first two for production units. I can guarantee you, you're about to see Nova more in the Electric market now that they solidified the product. I like how they do, solidify the product then jump in the ring, and its not too late either as Electrics are just REALLY starting to off, so they aren't far behind if behind at all.

Edited by The Real

On 2/6/2021 at 11:28 PM, The Real said:

Nova is playing it smart. Instead of just jumping into the Electric game like New Flyer did trying to play catch up to Proterra because Proterra has the most AEBs on the road than any manufacturer, Nova is doing its research and doing all of its testing in Canada in the the cold climate to make sure their product meets expectations. The LFSe+ is the result of that and now they are taking orders for them with Vancouver and Brampton being the first two for production units. I can guarantee you, you're about to see Nova more in the Electric market now that they solidified the product. I like how they do, solidify the product then jump in the ring, and its not too late either as Electrics are just REALLY starting to off, so they aren't far behind if behind at all.

Thanks for this post, makes a lot of sense. I was hearing that the cold weather range was a big issue on the MTA fleet – I think Cipriano even on spoke on it recently. Obviously we've seen trouble with the hybrids in frigid weather, but this sounded like an issue below 45º even, which is a lot of the year here. Something like what Tesla owners been describing for years. Proterra seems to have a head start and they're part of a merger that's about to IPO in the coming months, and that will probably mean a new injection of money that lets them expand their marketshare. BYD seems like the other player, but I don't see US agencies buying from a Chinese state-run company, especially with the bad performance in some cities so far. They're taking off in Latin America where the politics and weather are different, but not so much here. That company in California doing the retrofits (I remember we had the New Flyer demo a few years back) seems to have dropped off as well. With the federal order that the whole gov't fleet will be going electric, that's big news for Workhorse, Proterra, and every company that has their act together on a competent EV product. 

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, ItsDavid said:

So the LFS HEVs are going to go into mass production now? Its 3/22 now

2 hours ago, 1train2255railfan said:

I wonder if there's a possibility that there's a delay in the order. Something may have happened to 9622, since it hasn't ran since February 25th. 

Hopefully they'll be here soon. Let's give it until 3/31 before jumping to the conclusion that the order has been delayed.

Edited by Snorunts

On 3/22/2021 at 12:47 PM, 1train2255railfan said:

I wonder if there's a possibility that there's a delay in the order. Something may have happened to 9622, since it hasn't ran since February 25th. 

22 is back at KB. 9622 went back upstate.

-----------------------

Oddly enough, 1382 & 1384, along with 9626 are at Secaucus. I think it's only for adjustments. I'll be pretty surprised if it actually goes to a depot.

Edited by Cait Sith