MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, danielhg121 said:

I saw a few Cuomo wrapped XD40’s and Nova LFS parked inside CS. Are they just there for shuttle operations for the #7 shuttle today or did these recently move? 

My guess is for shuttle work. I saw 7844 heading to Queens this morning possibly to Stengel. 

5 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

I saw a few Cuomo wrapped XD40’s and Nova LFS parked inside CS. Are they just there for shuttle operations for the #7 shuttle today or did these recently move? 

4 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

My guess is for shuttle work. I saw 7844 heading to Queens this morning possibly to Stengel. 

1 hour ago, danielhg121 said:

Lots of depots were working the shuttle, barely any from CS lol. UP, ENY, JA, WF, JG, QV, FP were the ones I saw.

Those operators likely pulled their bus into CS so they could have their swing (lunch).  I really doubt if any of them are CS assigned.

There's a recall for New Flyer XE40s, year models 2019, 2020, and 2021. Is there a chance that our electric New Flyers are affected?

https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/7/VRDB-BDRV/search-recherche/detail.aspx?lang=eng&mk=5680&mkName=NEW FLYER&md=0&fy=0&ty=9999&ft=&ls=0&sy=0&syName=All Systems&all=0&rn=2021206&cf=SearchResult&pg=0

Recall Details
Transport Canada Recall # 2021-206
Recall Date    2021-04-07
Last Updated    2021-04-15
Notification Type    Safety Mfr
System    Electrical
Issued by    NEW FLYER
Manufacturer Recall Number    R21-005
Units Affected The number of vehicles or components affected by the recall.    78
Category    Bus
Recall Details
Issue:
On certain buses, an error in the inverter software may cause the electric drive system to shut down unexpectedly while driving. This could result in a loss of power to the wheels.
Note: The bus may be restarted again once it is brought to a full stop.

Safety Risk:
A sudden loss of power to the wheels increase the risk of a crash.

Corrective Actions:
New Flyer will notify owners by mail and instruct you to book an appointment with New Flyer field support to update the drive system programming.
Make    Model    Model Year(s) Affected
NEW FLYER    XE40    2019 2020 2021

4 hours ago, GojiMet86 said:

There's a recall for New Flyer XE40s, year models 2019, 2020, and 2021. Is there a chance that our electric New Flyers are affected?

https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/7/VRDB-BDRV/search-recherche/detail.aspx?lang=eng&mk=5680&mkName=NEW FLYER&md=0&fy=0&ty=9999&ft=&ls=0&sy=0&syName=All Systems&all=0&rn=2021206&cf=SearchResult&pg=0

Recall Details
Transport Canada Recall # 2021-206
Recall Date    2021-04-07
Last Updated    2021-04-15
Notification Type    Safety Mfr
System    Electrical
Issued by    NEW FLYER
Manufacturer Recall Number    R21-005
Units Affected The number of vehicles or components affected by the recall.    78
Category    Bus
Recall Details
Issue:
On certain buses, an error in the inverter software may cause the electric drive system to shut down unexpectedly while driving. This could result in a loss of power to the wheels.
Note: The bus may be restarted again once it is brought to a full stop.

Safety Risk:
A sudden loss of power to the wheels increase the risk of a crash.

Corrective Actions:
New Flyer will notify owners by mail and instruct you to book an appointment with New Flyer field support to update the drive system programming.
Make    Model    Model Year(s) Affected
NEW FLYER    XE40    2019 2020 2021

We have 2017 XE40s so I assume not. 

On 4/17/2021 at 3:49 PM, Bill from Maspeth said:

Those operators likely pulled their bus into CS so they could have their swing (lunch).  I really doubt if any of them are CS assigned.

Roosevelt Av has heavy traffic, even on weekends. Barely any room to park with other MTA Bus routes parked at Prince St for their break. 

Thinking about it, are the LFS HEVs the only major order the MTA has had since 2010/2011 or so with the BT&E program that didn't first come in a pilot batch? Hell, even the XDE40s (which are a smaller order than the LFS HEVs) were split into two 5-bus test groups for spec decisions. Everything has been tested in some capacity unless it was a small order (XE60s) and yet the LFS HEVs we just pull the trigger on all of them. Sort of interesting.

23 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

Thinking about it, are the LFS HEVs the only major order the MTA has had since 2010/2011 or so with the BT&E program that didn't first come in a pilot batch? Hell, even the XDE40s (which are a smaller order than the LFS HEVs) were split into two 5-bus test groups for spec decisions. Everything has been tested in some capacity unless it was a small order (XE60s) and yet the LFS HEVs we just pull the trigger on all of them. Sort of interesting.

Then again, we did have a pilot bus (22) to test out the technology 

14 minutes ago, 1train2255railfan said:

Then again, we did have a pilot bus (22) to test out the technology 

That's after the order was in though. Pretty much every order has started with a pilot or two – 6365, we went through like three different buses before they settled on a spec; 8750-8751 were pilots, 1000-1001 and later 5407, etc. 

13 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

They're not using the same amount of buses as pilots anymore. Also, they tend to use the first in service bus, send it back to Nova and get a brand new one in return.

0022 (orig 9620) and 9622 came and left. 22 is away at a vendor, 9622 is not even in the system anymore.

0023 (orig 1300) was piloted and not in the system right now. The second 1300 is at CP.

8755 is in but that should be here to stay as that's an option bus off the HEV order and also pretty much the same bus as the 8504-8754 batch.

1 hour ago, SevenEleven said:

They're not using the same amount of buses as pilots anymore. Also, they tend to use the first in service bus, send it back to Nova and get a brand new one in return.

0022 (orig 9620) and 9622 came and left. 22 is away at a vendor, 9622 is not even in the system anymore.

0023 (orig 1300) was piloted and not in the system right now. The second 1300 is at CP.

8755 is in but that should be here to stay as that's an option bus off the HEV order and also pretty much the same bus as the 8504-8754 batch.

Yeah I guess 8090 is the first example of that, we went through multiple different versions of that bus. More what I mean is that they skipped the whole thing with a test batch of buses - the 90 buses BT&E, or the 5-5 with the XDE40s. It's one the first major orders in a brick (like they say in the DMV) that we didn't have a couple demos or test buses for.

On 4/22/2021 at 9:10 AM, SevenEleven said:

Cool. I could be seeing a 3rd bus numbered 8888 real soon

Hello, so on a video there was a guy (BrIaNMeRcY1022) who commented that the Allison XDE40s would start to be delivered this month. He also said that there was a link to a press release with all the deliveries. Can anyone confirm this information, and can you send the link to the Press Release? Also, just off of predictions, I think that Manhattanville is gonna send some NGs to to MJQ to fill in the 10 bus shortage from Airmen sending their NGs.

The Zerega facility on Google Maps shows quite a few Orion 1st and 2nd Gens including 6392, 6402, 6441, 6481 and a few 65/6xxs. I'm sure Maps has not been updated recently and some of those units have since been scrapped however it would be interesting if a few 2003/4/5 Hybrids have survived for driver training at Zerega and still run presently.