MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

5 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Are the 14 XE60's lease buses are does NYCTA own them outright? I'm intrigued as to why they ordered 14 of them to keep if the electric bus lease program hasn't finished yet.

The 15 XE60s (4950-4964) are NYCTA property.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

That's because no one wants to lose their jobs, Transit has been very strict when it comes to information going out.

Simple updates aren't classified sensetive information. The information is still available, just not being posted here obviously. They have always been strict about certain information being available.  The point in that post was to show the fact that these updates COULD still be posted here. Theres plenty of people in the know and most of them choose not to post simple out of respect for me. And any Moderator could have updated that post at anytime. I just refuse to do it anymore, and no one else wants to. 

2 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Are the 14 XE60's lease buses are does NYCTA own them outright? I'm intrigued as to why they ordered 14 of them to keep if the electric bus lease program hasn't finished yet.

15 buses, and yes they are all owned by MTA. The only leases are group A and B 40 footers. 

Edited by East New York

21 minutes ago, East New York said:

Simple updates aren't classified sensetive information. The information is still available, just not being posted here obviously. They have always been strict about certain information being available.  The point in that post was to show the fact that these updates COULD still be posted here. Theres plenty of people in the know and most of them choose not to post simple out of respect for me. And any Moderator could have updated that post at anytime. I just refuse to do it anymore, and no one else wants to. 

15 buses, and yes they are all owned by MTA. The only leases are group A and B 40 footers. 

If you do, you get that one guy who can't shut up and won't stop asking where the buses are every 2 days.

Edited by GojiMet86

23 hours ago, East New York said:

But so as not to seem like a troll or anything, and not sure if it was mentioned.....

The electric order will be increased to 60 buses up from 45. This now allows for Staten Island to get buses which was originally NOT the plan.  

The rollout will begin Charleston, East New York, Grand Avenue, and Kingsbridge. 

The next order will be for up to 500 buses and the expansion will include 8 depots to start.

Hmmm, I know its "only" 60 buses but I'm feeling a split award here...

5 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

He said the Williamsburg charger will be replaced...which is the Proterra charger. That means it'll be all New Flyer. 

Nobody confirmed what buses are being ordered (XE40/ZX5, the replacement of the BE40). The charger could possibly be an upgrade that could better meet demands for electric use for the MTA.

2 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Nobody confirmed what buses are being ordered (XE40/ZX5, the replacement of the BE40). The charger could possibly be an upgrade that could better meet demands for electric use for the MTA.

Since no one wants to say anything, that's my conclusion. When the time comes we'll see. 

All things being equal, given the Proterra disaster at SEPTA, and the TA's relationship with New Flyer, I see the order going to New Flyer.

Having said that, I still see Proterra eking out a lot of ground in the electric bus market generally. They've got a decent head start on NovaBUS etc., and in the warmer climates their fleet seems to do pretty well. Nobody's solved the winter problem yet though.

1 hour ago, 1train2255railfan said:

All Novabus LFS Hybrids in the city are currently out of service. 

9667 is currently heading East on 145th. Likely deadheading to the North Terminal of the M10.

Edited by Cait Sith

On 6/13/2021 at 8:52 PM, East New York said:

Smh...... No updates to Fleet & Depots since I left 2 years ago? I also see no one is posting any of the exclusive news, fleet updates or contract procurements.  I see you all didn't know the leases were extended till December 2021 either. 

Welp. They say you don't know what you've got till is gone. My information and sources here were questioned one too many times and the last time was the final straw. So I'm just grab some popcorn and see what y'all been talking about.... Or NOT talking about... 😂

Welcome back, congrats on your marriage

11 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

He said the Williamsburg charger will be replaced...which is the Proterra charger. That means it'll be all New Flyer. 

Nova Bus does make a “long range” electric LFS though... That’s the wild card here.

XE40s for ENY and Grand seem like a given. It’s what Charleston and Kingsbridge are in line for that has the potential to get interesting since they are both depots without any Xcelsiors currently. 

37 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

Nova Bus does make a “long range” electric LFS though... That’s the wild card here.

XE40s for ENY and Grand seem like a given. It’s what Charleston and Kingsbridge are in line for that has the potential to get interesting since they are both depots without any Xcelsiors currently. 

Just 30-40 miles longer than the top of the line XE40. The XE is at 251, The LFS Electric is at 292.

Proterra has them both beat with the ZX5 with 329 miles before a charge. That's several runs on the S74/S78 and thensome. And seeing how electric buses are serious torque monsters, they won't have any problems with hills, nor would that consume much of the battery capacity.

Couple in the regenerative braking all three manufacturers use on their electric fleets, with the advancement of electric buses....things are bound to get pretty spicy in the coming years.

Edited by Cait Sith

On 6/15/2021 at 10:05 AM, MHV9218 said:

All things being equal, given the Proterra disaster at SEPTA, and the TA's relationship with New Flyer, I see the order going to New Flyer.

Having said that, I still see Proterra eking out a lot of ground in the electric bus market generally. They've got a decent head start on NovaBUS etc., and in the warmer climates their fleet seems to do pretty well. Nobody's solved the winter problem yet though.

Proterra Disaster?

1 hour ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Managed to get a quick look at 7851. If anyone is wondering if the bus has the full rooftop option, I can confirm that is the case.

This means the entire top will look similar to the XDE40.

Mta has been changing a lot of things up with the buses lately (new seating layout, sliding doors, different HVAC etc.) so I wasn’t surprised and actually thinking they were going to go full roof.

12 minutes ago, ParkerTheM7 said:

Mta has been changing a lot of things up with the buses lately (new seating layout, sliding doors, different HVAC etc.) so I wasn’t surprised and actually thinking they were going to go full roof.

Exactly, I had a feeling that was going to happen with the newer XD40s. I'm surprised the 2019 LFS diesels didn't get the extra roof mounts option for the LFS, especially 8755.

6 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Proterra Disaster?

All of SEPTA’s Proterras are permanently out of service due to “structural issues” or something like that. I think it’s sus how only SEPTA has a big issue with the Proterras, but whatever