MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

1 hour ago, TomaszSBklyn said:

Here we go😀:

Vehicle 1438 Riders: 8 on route QM18-South Ozone Park - Midtown Express 1:10 ahead of 6:37:40PM. going →S. Ozone Pk 130 St via Lefferts Bl past 3 Av on E 57 St

The map and the description do not match. According to the map the unit is crossing the Eddie Koch bridge.

Only 8 riders. Is this the only bus that's been carrying air around or poor ridership is an issue in all routes?

You have to keep in mind that the pandemic has altered ridership on mass transit at large, and we don't know the full extent as to how the pandemic affected ridership on certain routes until later on. The typical 9-5 work and commute has changed as a result, which impacts routes designed primarily for commuters. Express buses and the railroads will see the greatest impact, since ridership is geared towards those people. Over the years there has been some change to attract other groups of riders, but the base of ridership pre-pandemic were those commuting into Manhattan/NYC for work.

Pre-covid, QM18 ridership was relatively strong, given how few trips they run. PM buses would have around 15-20 people onboard (multiple buses also passed 20 people). AM buses would have much more ridership. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

You have to keep in mind that the pandemic has altered ridership on mass transit at large, and we don't know the full extent as to how the pandemic affected ridership on certain routes until later on. The typical 9-5 work and commute has changed as a result, which impacts routes designed primarily for commuters. Express buses and the railroads will see the greatest impact, since ridership is geared towards those people. Over the years there has been some change to attract other groups of riders, but the base of ridership pre-pandemic were those commuting into Manhattan/NYC for work.

Pre-covid, QM18 ridership was relatively strong, given how few trips they run. PM buses would have around 15-20 people onboard (multiple buses also passed 20 people). AM buses would have much more ridership. 

Naaaaah....I could say that for the AM trips because those AM trips would be relatively loaded...but the PM trips? Not so much from my experience. The PM trips I usually took had less than 15 people on, with a chunk of them getting off along QB.

6 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

Naaaaah....I could say that for the AM trips because those AM trips would be relatively loaded...but the PM trips? Not so much from my experience. The PM trips I usually took had less than 15 people on, with a chunk of them getting off along QB.

They usually tend to have around 15-20 people is what I meant (that's on me). I've been on and see buses (either stationary or at a stop) either within or near that ballpark, but yes, there are those that have notably less ridership than that. You are also right that Queens Boulevard tends to be where many people get off, in the PM. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

On 7/6/2021 at 2:38 PM, Cait Sith said:

It appears that the lease is up on the XEs as of this month(still awaiting info on that). There are two Proterras still in service.

11-15 are all at Northeast Bus Rebuilders.

16, 18 & 20 have been OOS for a week and some change. 17 and 19 are currently the two active Proterras left.

18 is back in service.

1 hour ago, R179 8258 said:

If NYCT MCI are being retired and which will make NYCT express fleet exclusively Prevost is QV going to have Prevost as well ?!?!

Currently, it's just the 2007 MCI D4500CLs and 2008 MCI D4500CTs which are being removed from Staten Island. As of now, there are no known plans to remove the 2013 D4500CTs from service at Charleston or Queens Village. 

2 minutes ago, Matthewmp4 said:

7851 has started service today. I rode it on the B26

Actually, bus was in service sometime last week or week before. It worked on the B13..

Let the games begin.. Start getting your last photos of the NG's at Fresh Pond. These XD40 deliveries for the Brooklyn Division will come in like hotcakes once Fresh Pond receives their allotment.

50 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Actually, bus was in service sometime last week or week before. It worked on the B13..

Let the games begin.. Start getting your last photos of the NG's at Fresh Pond. These XD40 deliveries for the Brooklyn Division will come in like hotcakes once Fresh Pond receives their allotment.

Well one of there Next Gens 3989 has been retired which was last week, so perhaps some more will be getting scrapped from them or get transferred. 

4 minutes ago, Ultimategamer12c said:

Well one of there Next Gens 3989 has been retired which was last week, so perhaps some more will be getting scrapped from them or get transferred. 

I'm inclined to putting in 3976 on that list too. However, this is unconfirmed and plus the unit hasn't seen service in a while

Edited by Future ENY OP

8 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Since we have deliveries: here is the scenario on what a depot will look like once the new buses are here: 

Manhattan Division:

1. MQ: Mix bag (NF/Nova with Electric)

2. MV: All Nova

3. OF: All NF 

4. OH: Mix Bag (NF/Nova) 

Bx Division (NYCTA only) 

1. KB: all Nova

2. GH: all Nova

3. WF: Mix Bag (NF CNG & Nova) 

10 minutes ago, FLX9304 said:

Since we have deliveries: here is the scenario on what a depot will look like once the new buses are here: 

Manhattan Division:

1. MQ: Mix bag (NF/Nova with Electric)

2. MV: All Nova

3. OF: All NF 

4. OH: Mix Bag (NF/Nova) 

Bx Division (NYCTA only) 

1. KB: all Nova

2. GH: all Nova

3. WF: Mix Bag (NF CNG & Nova) 

I'm confused what you meant for MQ. Adding on to your statement, Brooklyn Division will be almost entirely New Flyer.

EN: 100% NFI (XD40/XDE40)
FB: NFI (XD40/XD60), NB (LFSA)
FP: NFI (XD40), possibly some NG Hybrids
GA: 100% NFI (XD40/XDE40/XD60)
JG: 100% NFI (C40LF/XN40/XN60)
UP: 100% NFI (XD40/XD60)

Edited by Snorunts

Brooklyn division if you’re looking at O7NXG replacements, with the exception of JG & UP, which their local buses are all NF. GA, FP, EN & FLA still has the NXGs that need to go. Say you look at Brooklyn division once the deliveries get done. With the exception of a few Flatbush Novas, and Grand Ave’s Proterras, the rest of the boro is Flyer dominated. 

The biggest photo op would be at Fulton Mall where colors and size vary 

2 minutes ago, Snorunts said:

I'm confused what you meant for MQ. Adding on to your statement, Brooklyn Division will be almost entirely New Flyer.

EN: 100% NFI (XD40/XDE40)
FB: NFI (XD40/XD60), NB (LFSA)
FP: NFI (XD40), possibly some NG Hybrids
GA: 100% NFI (XD40/XDE40/XD60)
JG: 100% NFI (C40LF/XN40/XN60)
UP: 100% NFI (XD40/XD60)

What I mean “mix bag” is both Nova & NF but add “electric” side. Size included.