MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

Yes

SEPTA-Style, if that's what yall want to call it. No rear window.

Nice catch!

Something tells me that (MTA) may head in the direction of those buses (future orders).

The difficulty right now is that outfront media doesn't produce those rear style billboards.

However, those SEPTA LFSA style buses do look good in NYC streets.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The LFSA at ZA is a demo for the upcoming order. MTA will finalize the specs sometime this summer, and the pilots will begin production in November, with delivery scheduled for January pending final audit inspection. As I mentioned before, our buses will no longer be spec'd with rear windows. 

I wouldn't refer to it as "SEPTA stlye" because the option of no rear window has been around since 2011. I took a few pics of the first one at APTA.

The new demo also lacks the front end BRT styled roof cap as well, like all of our 40 foot models.

Edited by East New York

Does the demo look like SEPTA produced it or are we back to rear windows?

Nice catch!

Something tells me that (MTA) may head in the direction of those buses (future orders).

The difficulty right now is that outfront media doesn't produce those rear style billboards.

However, those SEPTA LFSA style buses do look good in NYC streets.

I do believe the the 92 Nova Artic order is going to be Gen-IV buses...without a rear window.

I like how you guys refer to the Novas as "SEPTA" style. Toronto and a few other cities have the same Gen-IV style Novas.

Only SEPTA, MTA and NFTA have LFS buses with the roof-level rear destination sign. Combined with the absence of rear windows, I guess it can define a style introduced with the SEPTA orders.

Boo to no more roof cap though.

Edited by Lothian

I do believe the the 92 Nova Artic order is going to be Gen-IV buses...without a rear window.

I like how you guys refer to the Novas as "SEPTA" style. Toronto and a few other cities have the same Gen-IV style Novas.

It's mainly the sign placement being similar to the placement on the SEPTA buses that started the whole "SEPTA'' style thing. 

The LFSA at ZA is a demo for the upcoming order. MTA will finalize the specs sometime this summer, and the pilots will begin production in November, with delivery scheduled for January pending final audit inspection. As I mentioned before, our buses will no longer be spec'd with rear windows. 

I wouldn't refer to it as "SEPTA stlye" because the option of no rear window has been around since 2011. I took a few pics of the first one at APTA.

The new demo also lacks the front end BRT styled roof cap as well, like all of our 40 foot models.

You gotta be kidding me...

And FYI SEPTA style originally referred to the NABIs and Neoplans with no rear sign and gigantic read ad. Then they ordered New Flyers with that cap thing on the upper right corner. Now it refers to any bus without a rear AC and a destination sign in the upper right hand corner. With the 40 foot debacle at Nova, and the new MTA LFS produced to SEPTA specs, now busfans call them SEPTA style.

Is there any reason they don't want rear windows anymore?

It was a last minute spec change mostly because of the massive hold up at Nova. The rear style was changed so it can be streamlined with other orders to have them buses come here asap.

This demo shows uniformity.

You gotta be kidding me...

And FYI SEPTA style originally referred to the NABIs and Neoplans with no rear sign and gigantic read ad. Then they ordered New Flyers with that cap thing on the upper right corner. Now it refers to any bus without a rear AC and a destination sign in the upper right hand corner. With the 40 foot debacle at Nova, and the new MTA LFS produced to SEPTA specs, now busfans call them SEPTA style.

Ok, now I understand what you all are referring to. Also remember that only CNG and Gillig buses have rear-mount AC units now.

So the demo is Articulated version of our 2015-16 LFS right?

For the most part yes, however the artic will have Spectrum signs.

Ok, now I understand what you all are referring to. Also remember that only CNG and Gillig buses have rear-mount AC units now.

For the most part yes, however the artic will have Spectrum signs.

Is it better for the bus to have the A/C unit in the middle of the bus instead of in the back like the RTS and Orion's.

Is it better for the bus to have the A/C unit in the middle of the bus instead of in the back like the RTS and Orion's.

That all depends of the type of A/C unit and the configuration of the bus. There is no "best place" for it to be. It also depends on the specs of the agency. Some of which opted for roof mount units on their RTS buses at one time.

However, roof mount units tend to circulate a bit faster, and in some cases better than rear units. ThermoKing also has the best units. I am not a fan of the MCC/Carrier units on many of our Nova's, and I don't like them on the Prevost at all. They are weak overall, and only a handfull of them actually work the way I think they should.

I thought the same, however, I'm being told that MTA specified it even though Nova has it listed as just an option, and is more for styling. The only other agency I would compare our operations to would be TTC, and they don't feel that they are necessary. 

The pilots, and/or production bus configurations will depend on how much MTA wants to play with these specs for the next order. They most likely are anyway since there are 301 options at stake.

The Xcelsiors on the other hand will be near identical to those being delivered to MTA Bus as we speak.

Edited by East New York

I thought the same, however, I'm being told that MTA specified it even though Nova has it listed as just an option, and is more for styling. The only other agency I would compare our operations to would be TTC, and they don't feel that they are necessary. 

The pilots, and/or production bus configurations will depend on how much MTA wants to play with these specs for the next order. They most likely are anyway since there are 301 options at stake.

The Xcelsiors on the other hand will be near identical to those being delivered to MTA Bus as we speak.

Here's to hoping they stick with ThermoKing for the HVAC....these Carrier/MCC HVACs are garbage.

you mean the option right

The new lfsa demo was on Main Street, probs in Jamaica by now. Posting this from my phone, it blew past me on the 44. It's all white with a "SEPTA" look and no roof cap, I'll post a pic later.

Sounds like the LFSA will see service on the Q44. Then again I don't think a demo was ever on an SBS route, and our last demo never saw passenger service. Edited by MysteriousBtrain

emenys omta bus currently has 474 express  but only has 378 replacements on order. why?

Probably keeping the best out of the 2006-2007 batch.

Sounds like the LFSA will see service on the Q44. Then again I don't think a demo was ever on an SBS route, and our last demo never saw passenger service.

It's probably just shadowing runs to see how it handles the streets.

So this is the only photo I have that shows the bus itself, and it is of horrible quality. It was on pretty much full zoom on my phone camera, plus another zoom after taking the picture. The other picture was taken from inside the Q44 I was on, which isn't as good and doesn't really show the bus too well. This photo is terrible quality, but it gives an overall idea of what the bus looks like. This was taken after I got off my Q44. 

25024936151_ac22371806_c.jpg

Edited by R188 7857

So this is the only photo I have that shows the bus itself, and it is of horrible quality. It was on pretty much full zoom on my phone camera, plus another zoom after taking the picture. The other picture was taken from inside the Q44 I was on, which isn't as good and doesn't really show the bus too well. This photo is terrible quality, but it gives an overall idea of what the bus looks like. This was taken after I got off my Q44.

25024936151_ac22371806_c.jpg

Where was this taken at because at first I thought it was at Utopia and Jewel on the Q30/Q31 route.

Main Street & Melbourne if I remember correctly, that LFSA is heading towards Jewel.

Oh wow I now it looks familiar. I live right down the block from there too and still couldn't recognize it correctly.

Personally I like these new LFS's without the rear window. On so many LFS's it acted as a garbage storage unfortunately and the new LFS's have a better seating arrangement. While it's not as good as the Orion VII's or New Flyer C40LF's its still better than the 8000's.