MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

It just occurred to me that MTA Bus Company has no Novabus anywhere. I guess a large part of that is due to the funding? They have Prevosts which are part of the Volvo group but not a single Novabus. Why was the FTA involved with the 5300-5400 series XD60's anyways? Was it because it was the spark of a new generation (Cuomo wrap, outlets, wifi, etc.). I guess these amenities have become a bit more common on public transit in other areas too. 

Federal funding was used, that's why.

On 11/13/2021 at 2:38 AM, Cait Sith said:

c2bf725a44ca4ac6ee9444d9e315cc72.png.89c8b61ef5b2748b19038bf30c8067e6.png

There you have it folks, New Flyer strikes gold with the XE40 order.
A lot of folks were saying that Proterra was a shoe-in, but I had my doubts, especially with the brake test failure.

It is important to note here that these buses are largely federally funded.

Small update to the announcement. First 5 buses are expected in (MTA) property by September 2022. Rest of delivery to be completed 1 year after September 2022* bearing any Logistical delays. 

• 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

992765796b78a668ba5dd27b318be2cc.thumb.png.8fb83bb73e6931df820348739f6bf308.png

Even MORE LFS diesels are coming our way. 135 LFS diesels will be coming to MTA Bus!

Very good to know that this will be paid with federal funds. 

Although, there are no depots assigned yet for this order could this order spread to the (MTA) bus depots for Eastchester & Queens?

7 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

992765796b78a668ba5dd27b318be2cc.thumb.png.8fb83bb73e6931df820348739f6bf308.png

Even MORE LFS diesels are coming our way. 135 LFS diesels will be coming to MTA Bus!

Well, that's different.

I can't really expect them to put any at Yonkers or Eastchester to shift any (definitely not all) Bronx routes currently at MaBSTOA depots, though I do think expanding the BC local bus fleet for the Bronx and doing a bit of route reshuffling could potentially remove at least a bit of the stress.

3 minutes ago, Lex said:

Well, that's different.

I can't really expect them to put any at Yonkers or Eastchester to shift any (definitely not all) Bronx routes currently at MaBSTOA depots, though I do think expanding the BC local bus fleet for the Bronx and doing a bit of route reshuffling could potentially remove at least a bit of the stress.

Why would they even go to Yonkers? They are local buses.:mellow:

These will basically go to every MTA Bus depot that has OG hybrids and potentially Eastchester to make their local fleet a 100% new fleet.

Edited by Cait Sith

12 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

I suppose that they are heading over to four of the seven private bus companies (Jamaica Buses, Green Bus Lines, Triboro Coach, and New York Bus Service).

Is it accurate, @Cait Sith ?

Good to hear about a new bus order for MTA Bus at last.

Those Orion VII’s are at the end of their lives and I can’t wait for them to go tbh. I still remember when they were brand new with the new bus smell and black backs. They replaced all those old GMC RTS buses from the 80’s. Time flies! 

Edited by NewFlyer 230