MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anybody remember when the 99 O5 CNG's made an appearance at then LIB?

Them 700s that went over died along with LIB. Once they came back, they were immediately retired, or just never came back.

9827 was the most infamous one lol

It went to LIB, and somehow got into an accident in the rear. They put one of their backs on it, and it came back to Gleason running around with a blue and orange engine panel. Still kept the visible body damage above the panel, then it went to West Farms.

They saw that nonsense, and painted the blue stripe over it, but it didn't match the rest of the bus.

Had to do some digging through Photobucket, but I found a photo of it in Long Island lol

28933403662_fb7a74a9b2_b.jpg

...and another photo of one running on the N41

28752335370_a8f3de9f7f_b.jpg

These buses went everywhere towards the end of their lives. I remember these buses running on JFK/FR and LGA routes too.

I don't think 9827 ever went back to CP before it retire. I remember seeing it on the Q8 with that blue stripe when SC loaned buses to JFK.

The last two Orion's V CNG's that retired were 9845 and 9905.

A question I always had if anyone knows why didn't any of the 1998 Orion CNG's go to JG or WF? They only had the 99's which was random units between 9827-9929

Edited by NewFlyer 230

These buses went everywhere towards the end of their lives. I remember these buses running on JFK/FR and LGA routes too.

I don't think 9827 ever went back to CP before it retire. I remember seeing it on the Q8 with that blue stripe when SC loaned buses to JFK.

A question I always had if anyone knows why didn't any of the 1998 Orion CNG's go to JG or WF? They only had the 99's which was random units between 9827-9929

The last unit was 9849.

I would think the 1998 Orions #9932-9999 didn't go because they were semi-suburbans. Am I right?

Edited by The TransitMan

Them 700s that went over died along with LIB. Once they came back, they were immediately retired, or just never came back.

9827 was the most infamous one lol

It went to LIB, and somehow got into an accident in the rear. They put one of their backs on it, and it came back to Gleason running around with a blue and orange engine panel. Still kept the visible body damage above the panel, then it went to West Farms.

They saw that nonsense, and painted the blue stripe over it, but it didn't match the rest of the bus.

Interesting story about 9827. The 700's came from the Creek if I'm not mistaken?

Interesting story about 9827. The 700's came from the Creek if I'm not mistaken?

Yeah. After everything got renumbered after the takeover (and before everything got shuffled around lol), it was generally like this:

700s: Command (Spring Creek)

7200s: Triboro (split between College Point & Spring Creek when LGA became diesel)

8500s, 9800s, and 9900s: Queens Surface (College Point)

Wait why? Are they short on artics?

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

West Farms is always short. They can't get their act together. They have a decent amount of RTS from Brooklyn and queens which have no business being in the Bronx. Hopefully, September these buses can return back to their respective depots.

I think it has something to do with WF having jot just more than half of the VII Fleet, it that the fleet also makes up more than half of the fleet in the depot.

Considering the fact the JG is an all CNG bus depot and WF still has a lot of diesel artics and RTS I wouldn't really be surprised if there was a problem, seeing as how maintenance has to take care of both sides of the equation.