MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Were there any plans or proposals, at any point within the existence of the Orion VII CNG, for College Point and Spring Creek to run it?

A long time ago, there was a strong rumor that 185-229 would've been swapped for Orion VII CNGs(I think Gleason's units), but it never came to fruition.

I see the MTA is going for Allison hybrids. Any reason for leaving BAE? King County Metro out here got XDE60s with the BAE E-series hybrid system and they are spectacular. They cruise at highway speeds with the engine idling and in general are much quieter and smoother than anything BAE or Allison previously put out. Great pull, too, handle some of the crazy hills out here as well as the XT40s and XT60s. Metro stuck with Allison for over a decade (except the Orions, obviously) before going BAE with their latest orders of XDE35/40/60s.

So my guess is that Allisons are better than BAEs If NYC gets dominated by NFs, Ill be damned, You know that may happen with just 10% BYDs for the B/M42s and 30% of Novas.

(How do I get a destination sign)

As far as the XN40's go, it was reported that there was a failed audit inspection for some feature or component and this has caused a slight delay. I would expect things to move forward this week.

As for the XD60's, 5989 is now on the property awaiting acceptance in Queens.

Were there any plans or proposals, at any point within the existence of the Orion VII CNG, for College Point and Spring Creek to run it?

A long time ago, there was a strong rumor that 185-229 would've been swapped for Orion VII CNGs(I think Gleason's units), but it never came to fruition.

Correct there was talk about it years ago, but because of legal issues as I suspected in the first place when this was mentioned, it never played out. When funds are specifically allocated for BC those buses cannot be transferred to TA if they are less than 12 years old. Not only that's, but when those plans were crapped about 4 years ago, MTA orders enough buses to completely replace the entire CNG fleets at CP and SC, thus not needing any new buses until at least 2026 and most likely longer if they run all the buses at least 15 years.

So my guess is that Allisons are better than BAEs If NYC gets dominated by NFs, Ill be damned, You know that may happen with just 10% BYDs for the B/M42s and 30% of Novas.

(How do I get a destination sign)

Yeah it's explained on the last 2 pages of this thread why they are going with Allison. As for the electric buses go, a manufacturer has not been officially been excepted yet. It could be NFI, Nova, Proterra or BYD. Edited by East New York

The Proterra Catalyst looks like an interesting bus, but probably like the others don't know too much about it to see if it will be a good bus.

From the reviews I'm getting from around the country they have been pretty well. The new electric offered get is getting more than 300 miles on a single charge, which blows all the other bus manufacturers out the water. The buses are actually said to be performing better, and are actually more efficient than even Proterra thought they would be. For that reason and a few others, I feel they may get the order.

Move forward as in delivering pilots to the depot or are they already there?

Delivery is expected this week, however at this moment, I believe only 674 and 676 are at the vendor. However, none of this is confirmed and the buses are still pending acceptance and registration. At this point, none of the buses have even been registered at Zerega. Knowing how the MTA is with new models, this delay was kind of expected.

On the heels of my post, an XE40 has in fact arrived at Zerega for demonstration purposes. Because today is a holiday I did not expect the bus until later on in the week.... That's why I didn't post anything about it, but made a general statement about the pending electric order. As of this moment, only New Flyer and Nova are qualified bidders and it is unknown if any other manufacturers will be qualified in time for the pending order. If there are no others qualified, I would expect it to go to NFI by default just like the XN40 order.

On the heels of my post, an XE40 has in fact arrived at Zerega for demonstration purposes. Because today is a holiday I did not expect the bus until later on in the week.... That's why I didn't post anything about it, but made a general statement about the pending electric order. As of this moment, only New Flyer and Nova are qualified bidders and it is unknown if any other manufacturers will be qualified in time for the pending order. If there are no others qualified, I would expect it to go to NFI by default just like the XN40 order.

Will it be driving around anywhere in the city?

From the reviews I'm getting from around the country they have been pretty well. The new electric offered get is getting more than 300 miles on a single charge, which blows all the other bus manufacturers out the water. The buses are actually said to be performing better, and are actually more efficient than even Proterra thought they would be. For that reason and a few others, I feel they may get the order.

King County Metro has been giving them positive reviews as well. They will be their biggest customer if they pass the year-long test, as they would get up to 200 more Proterras.

4268 was fitted with the automated announcement system and screens. It's going to be shadowing S79s up and down before going back in service. Several depots besides the few that East New York mentioned will be piloting the system from different vendors.

Are there any pictures of the screens? I'm genuinely intrigued by the screens and their capabilities.

Are there any pictures of the screens? I'm genuinely intrigued by the screens and their capabilities.

I couldn't snap a pic earlier with management and the CD techs onboard. It kinda surprised me because they rolled up behind my bus this morning and said "Yeah, we're testing this, we're gonna follow you for a round trip."

Screens are capable of ads,  stop announcements, next stop info, relative location info (if the bus is next to SI Mall, stuff related to the mall will show) and things of that nature. It's not a concise list, they can program it however needed. They mounted one near the front door (where that second stop requested sign and fleet # to the right) is and one at the rear door.

I couldn't snap a pic earlier with management and the CD techs onboard. It kinda surprised me because they rolled up behind my bus this morning and said "Yeah, we're testing this, we're gonna follow you for a round trip."

Screens are capable of ads, stop announcements, next stop info, relative location info (if the bus is next to SI Mall, stuff related to the mall will show) and things of that nature. It's not a concise list, they can program it however needed. They mounted one near the front door (where that second stop requested sign and fleet # to the right) is and one at the rear door.

The improvements are happening slowly but surely.

I believe it's 2 screens for the nova shorties, NG's and 3 for the Artics? Correct.

Quoted from the transfers thread for easier clarification:

Major shakeups and transfers pending. For the first time in history, MTA is set to have waves of new buses come in with no concrete assignments.

We do however have to look at the buses we have coming in then do a breakdown of what's in the table.

138 XN40's 63 WF, 75 JG (I think the bulk should go to WF unless they don't plan on ordering XN60's.)

139 XD60's 44 CS, remaining unassigned and possible addition of FB, which would push all their artics to Manhattan and Bronx.

92 LFSA's unassigned BX, Manhattan possible

110 XN60's (Subject to change) JG, WF

10+40 Electric Buses EN, MQ

Note the list above is in the order the buses are scheduled to arrive.

Hybrids are also on the horizon.