MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

• 1 month later...

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Afternoon ladies and gents! I'm back from vacation so let's go over a few things. This is gonna get interesting, so pay close attention.

For starters, I want to address the rumor going around that the XN40's failed their testing. Actually, this is old news and I think the info somehow crossed paths with the current situation. XN40's 674, 675, and 676 failed audit inspection. 677 remains on property at Gleason. Just pulled out on the B35 like clockwork. This bus will likely become the audit bus for the remaining pilots. Whatever changes MTA required are being worked into them, and 678 should be about ready to go. I think there is on at Zerega but I have not been able to comfirm that as of yet.

XD60's are still unassigned, and on top of that MTA just threw a money wrench in on me. The contract for Digital Information Screens was modified. I'm going to go over the details of that in its respective thread. http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/45507-mtas-on-board-audiovisual-test-evaluation/?p=902727 I need a Kermit sipping tea meme for this one!

What does that have to do with XD60's you might ask? The Digital Info Screen Testing Program will be expanded to all 5 boroughs with the inclusion of 2 additional bus routes. (See link above) One of the modifications calls for the digital screens to now be installed on the Q44+. So what does this mean for the fleet? The contract was finalized for LFSA's because the XD's are officially unassigned at this time. MTA wants the signs installed on 200 buses by years end in order to meet a good schedule for testing. Approve a vendor or vendors, then retrofit the remaining buses in the fleet. Orion CNG's, pre-2003 D60's, and pre-1999 RTS buses will not get these signs as they will be phased out of the system in 2017 and 2018. 1999 models RTS retirement will be pushed back once again to 2019/2020. The bulk of these buses are holding up much better than expected and of course Nova continues to support fleet maintenance on all of them.

The contract for the Q44+ could be modified for installation on the XD60's. Another scenario is that 5987 is only validated and accepted on the Q44, then transferred to another depot leaving Stengel with LFSA's until the 6000/6100's come in. By that time, the winner or winners should have been selected, and the new buses will hit Stengel already installed. Since things seem to change daily, we will just have to wait and see.

Now about these XN60's. At this time, MTA is trying to obtain funding for them. They also had many talks with NFI about the configurations and what their requirements will be. I'm being told MTA wants the XN40 configuration to be solid as it will be a deciding factor for how they spec the XN's which were expected to be ordered by years end. There is no real rush needed as they could be delivered following the XN40's to replace the remaining Orion VII's.

I also have a bit of news on the future fleet. Including a bit more on the next New Bus Qualification Program, electric buses, hybrids, and the cancellation of options for additional LFS and XD40 buses. Details coming soon

Edited by East New York

Now about these XN60's. At this time, MTA is trying to obtain funding for them. They also had many talks with NFI about the configurations and what their requirements will be. I'm being told MTA wants the XN40 configuration to be solid as it will be a deciding factor for how they spec the XN's which were expected to be ordered by years end. There is no real rush needed as they could be delivered following the XN40's to replace the remaining Orion VII's.

Any chance they will change the drivers side mirror? Lol.

Not sure about the mirrors. I did forever forget to post that 5439 is at the Nova service center. It's actually been there for about a week now. It's in the new paint scheme of course, and should be about done having its WiFi and USB outlets installed. Very interesting for the first time in history we have all these buses coming in and none of them are assigned.

Wasn't the recent XD40 order delivered ahead of time?

Yup...which brought upon numerous problems. That's part of the reason why these orders are delayed, so they can ensure that the quality is the way they want.

Edited by Cait Sith

Curious what issues were found with the MTA XN40's. I rode one of Boston MBTA's brand new XN40's on Friday (in service just over a week) and I was less than impressed. The entire bus rattled over every bump, the back end shook at idle, and there was a persistent squeaking noise coming from the back-mounted AC unit. I also rode a brand-new XD40 and the fit and finish was much tighter - the difference was immediately noticeable. I would have thought New Flyer would have the CNG production smoothed out by now.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Edited by RailBus63

Curious what issues were found with the MTA XN40's. I rode one of Boston MBTA's brand new XN40's on Friday (in service just over a week) and I was less than impressed. The entire bus rattled over every bump, the back end shook at idle, and there was a persistent squeaking noise coming from the back-mounted AC unit. I also rode a brand-new XD40 and the fit and finish was much tighter - the difference was immediately noticeable. I would have thought New Flyer would have the CNG production smoothed out by now.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

That's what happens when they promise insane delivery schedules. They can be either solid or just straight up trash. Thankfully, the MTA Bus XD40s and XD60s are pretty solid, along with 5987(for now).

I personally like the way LGA's units feel. I feel that when I ride on a CS XD40s it feels as if the bus drags a little.

Same. The LGA units are very solid altogether, they're my favorites out of the entire 7000 series XD40 fleet.

That's what happens when they promise insane delivery schedules. They can be either solid or just straight up trash. Thankfully, the MTA Bus XD40s and XD60s are pretty solid, along with 5987(for now).

Same. The LGA units are very solid altogether, they're my favorites out of the entire 7000 series XD40 fleet.

Yes they're very good. Fresh Pond's are pretty good too imo.

Sorry I new to the forum and I not sure if I'm posting in the the right area . But I recently got call in for the MTA for MTA bus as a bus operator went in at 7:30am to 180 Livingston, and my god so many people where there, I waited and waited and waited finally there called my ticket number , just to tell me that ineligible because of a suspension on my license back in 2015 , but the lady claims in still on the lists and would be able to work in 2018. It this true ?

Also is there anyone I can talk to to start ASAP

Wrong

Sorry I new to the forum and I not sure if I'm posting in the the right area . But I recently got call in for the MTA for MTA bus as a bus operator went in at 7:30am to 180 Livingston, and my god so many people where there, I waited and waited and waited finally there called my ticket number , just to tell me that ineligible because of a suspension on my license back in 2015 , but the lady claims in still on the lists and would be able to work in 2018. It this true ?

Also is there anyone I can talk to to start ASAP

wrong area please delete and refer any questions that you may have to the employment section of the forums which you will find at the bottom of the webpage

• 3 weeks later...

Merry Christmas all! We have lots of updates coming for the new year. I haven't posted because things are constantly changing, ans there's no point in posting until decisions have been made. So after Christmas we will discuss the future fleet, changes being made, route swaps, the TA/BC merger, the new Command Center at East New York and much more. This includes assignments for all the new buses, and the status of current testing... with 5439 up next to enter service.

I will also be making some major updates to the first page of this thread. I have confirmed the XN60 order will change, but I'm not actactly sure how, so this should be very interesting as well.

Merry Christmas all! We have lots of updates coming for the new year. I haven't posted because things are constantly changing, ans there's no point in posting until decisions have been made. So after Christmas we will discuss the future fleet, changes being made, route swaps, the TA/BC merger, the new Command Center at East New York and much more. This includes assignments for all the new buses, and the status of current testing... with 5439 up next to enter service.

I will also be making some major updates to the first page of this thread. I have confirmed the XN60 order will change, but I'm not actactly sure how, so this should be very interesting as well.

I had a feeling the XD60 order might have something happen to it. I'm guessing there will be 110+ buses coming in? Based on the results from the last major post, unless the LFSA are untouched at WF, there was no way the fleet could make the Bx36 100% articulated.

I will also be making some major updates to the first page of this thread. I have confirmed the XN60 order will change, but I'm not actually sure how, so this should be very interesting as well.

Thanks for the early Christmas Gift, Lol.

However, when it comes to the XN60 in question, can you explain the following?

I know Diesels are lower in price to purchase over Hybrids and CNGs but, are Hybrids cheaper in base price than CNGs?

Because, I got a Feeling someone else wants more hybrids over the other propulsion so, the TA might change the order to XDE60s instead. OR given the price tag the TA might want to get XD60s in place of the XN60s which might result in more Diesels for the price of the CNGs.

• 2 weeks later...

Why is the delivery 2017 New Flyer XN40 CNG #673 - #810 not here yet. 2001 Orion7 CNG #7560 fuel tank have been expired last year.. So why is 2001 Orion7 CNG #7560 running in service.. The 2002 Orion7CNG #7561 - #7599 series fuel tank set to expired this year. i can say

677 is currently doing a 90-day test (Which should be done sometime this month). When that's over, the other buses will start coming in.