MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

Those XD40s are already taking a beating. Was on one the other day (7366) with a squeaky door and a light that doesn't work. I was also on one today where the dude had to restart the bus b/c the rear door wouldn't unlock...

Bearing in mind NYC streets beats the buses up...

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone notice that no 4200 series hybrids ran on the SBS79 today? The 4200s were on all other Yukon routes. Trying to find out of this is a permanent or temporary change.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Apparently, the new signs are causing electrical problems on the buses. The ones that were installed in the Bronx are generally off (according to someone). My guess is that these buses are hybrids, and from some of my experiences, you don't usually mess with the electrical system on a hybrid vehicle. It could mess up things with the battery and such. The signs on the XD40's and LFSA's in the other depots are working fine, so I'm suspecting that it's either a problem isolated to Clever Devices or the NG's themselves. 

They've been updating the signs very frequently on the Q44-SBS, they added a random stop at E177th street and bronx river parkway. Anybody know why they cant cross under the bridge rather than doing the ridiculous u-turn, clearance or is there not enough space due to the merging.

Anyone notice that no 4200 series hybrids ran on the SBS79 today? The 4200s were on all other Yukon routes. Trying to find out of this is a permanent or temporary change.

Looks like this is a permanent change. Was told that a portion of the Novas will be wrapped for SBS79 service.

Looks like this is a permanent change. Was told that a portion of the Novas will be wrapped for SBS79 service.

Nice. Any confirmation of the fleet numbers? And does anyone have a picture of what the lfs (could) look like in an SBS wrap? Edited by ShadeJay

Apparently, according to other sources, the 110 bus XN60 order from New Flyer was confirmed this week...

Really? Interesting.

Buses start rolling in later this month I believe. I read somewhere that up to 6054 are here.

That's not the same order - he said XN60 order, not XD60.

The XD60 order goes past 6054. The XN60 order has no official fleet numbers assigned to it yet.

Edited by Rick44

Good because Nova LFS and LFSA are the best buses for SBS.

MTA is converting the articulated SBS fleet from LFSA to XD60.

We also have MAJOR moves, fleet number confirmations, new bus order confirmations and so much more! If you guys pay attention to my patterns, I usually stay quiet when the speculation starts and just wait so I can address everything at once. That's what we will do today. The first page of this thread will get an overhaul as well. Stay tuned!!! This is gonna be a fun week, month , and year! Post will be made by 4pm.

Ok, for the most part everything I mentioned with bus orders will remain the same. Here is a summary of things to come.... Official assignments are due in by Wednesday, and subject to change or delay in finalization before then. We will have the full review later in the week, and a production update as well on all the incoming models. Also note we have a board meeting coming January 23rd, at which time we will add on to what we have now.

XN40 673-810 - 2016 models are built through 682. 677 is undergoing a maintenance review as I type this, and I am unsure when it will go back into service. Hopefully it's just for maintenance training any not any serious issues that will cause further delays. The next pilots should making their way to the city slowly but surely. 683-810 will be 2017 models. Preliminary assignments call for 75 to Jackie Gleason Depot, and 63 to West Farms. Likely 673-747, and 748-810 respectively. This order has been delayed as most all know because of failed audit inspections. All of the issues have reportedly been sorted out for the most part, with a few minor adjustments to be made. Delivery of the remaining pilots expected soon.

XN60 1000-1109 - Funding, terms and conditions seem to have been sorted out. The changes made appear to be in how the bus will be tested and evaluated, as well as the number of pilot buses the contract will call for. If all goes as planned, this procurement should be on the January board agenda. Preliminary assignments call for roughly 30-36 buses to Gleason, and 74-80 to West Farms. The exact about to each depot will be confirmed closer to delivery. If confirmed in January/February, we are looking at pilot delivery in the summer, and production start in the fall/winter.

XD60 5987-6125 - The assignments for these buses are pretty much finalized at this point, and mirror what I expected a few months back. Casey Stengel, and Michael J Quill are now confirmed. Grand Avenue, and East New York are pending for the new north crosstown SBS, and B82 SBS routes. Another Manhattan depot like Tuskegee could come into the fold depending on how many are assigned to Quill, and the status of the B82 SBS.

LFSA 5439-5530 - As expected this will mostly be for the Bronx, including Kingsbridge and Gun Hill. the last 20 have yet to be assigned as half or all the 4700's could go to Brooklyn. 

5300s for 4700s still pending

Hope that gets rejected on arrival. Keep those 5300's until the next order. The LFSA's look good in Brooklyn. However, I understand what the MTA is doing to reduce maintenance costs

My concern would be where would Casey Stegal LFSA's go? Manhattan? MCH, TU? Bronx- WF?

But if the 5300's leave FB they going to dead hill oops. Gun Hill where these buses will trash up. They may have a better chance at KB.