MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know this is pretty random, but the MTA local fleet seems to be exclusively New Flyer and Nova (not considering Orion b/c they shut down). Any idea why a pretty big player in the game such as Gillig wouldn't be given any contracts? Thanks.  :D

Gillig has point blank refused to bid on anything MTA.

Minor update. Final assignments are now pending and should be in within the next 24 hours, unless it's delayed for the 36th time! Lol. However, now that we have a handle on what buses are coming, the hybrids still need to be factored in because none of these are actually supposed to be going to Manhattanville. If that's the case, we may have yet another delay. If the hybrids come into account later, we could have concrete assignments on all the current incoming buses.

And Van Hool lol

Van Hool actually is willing to work with NYCT. We were supposed to get an order of Double Decker buses for express service, however after demo testising it was decided by the DOB that the buses would be limited to where they can operate because of the height. EC and Yonkers were the only depots. Same with the Millennium RTS Express. It was determined that they could only operate effectively out of SC, and would not be easily transferable within the system.

Gilligs and NABI's wouldn't pass the shaker test 1, 2 most bus manufacturers who deal with the TA long term......go under

They could both pass the shaker, it's just that neither of them were willing to work with the TA because they are notorious for failing ALL manufacturers at audit inspection at one time or another. Those are risks NABI was not, and Gillig is not willing to take. One of the most notorious failed audit inspections of all time was with TMC/Nova.

8600-8703 had a flawless entry into service and was the last of the TMC's. 8750 was next in line, built buy the EXACT same people (note they still work for MTS to this day) and MTA failed 8750, and required terms MTS could not reach for the Extreme Low-Floor. Some are not willing to take the risk that's associated with ANY NYC Transit/Bus Company order.

Edited by East New York

I notice that a lot of these new orders have four pilot buses but the TA only gets one bus in advance before the production buses come why is that?

XN60 info in the first post, 4 pliot buses will come later this year but I expect only one bus to show up, run in service for a few months, then the production buses arrive. It seems like every order follows that pattern  :lol:  

I notice that a lot of these new orders have four pilot buses but the TA only gets one bus in advance before the production buses come why is that?

XN60 info in the first post, 4 pliot buses will come later this year but I expect only one bus to show up, run in service for a few months, then the production buses arrive. It seems like every order follows that pattern [emoji38]

1 of the 5 pilot XN40s came because the other 4 failed the audit. 676 got sent back, and I don't think 673-675 made it down

There's a typo in the upcoming bus order info on the first page of this thread: "2017-18 NovaBus LFSA : 60' low floor diesel transit coach. Pilot buses 5440-5342 will be delivered Jan. '17, production buses due by March '18." Also, u could get rid of some of the info like the board info on jan 23, since that already passed.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

There's a typo in the upcoming bus order info on the first page of this thread: "2017-18 NovaBus LFSA : 60' low floor diesel transit coach. Pilot buses 5440-5342 will be delivered Jan. '17, production buses due by March '18." Also, u could get rid of some of the info like the board info on jan 23, since that already passed.

Thanks. A few updates need to be made. Now that things are confirmed what you mentioned and other info that says pending can be changed to confirmed. The Hybrids also need to be added in, and the build years need to be changed to 2016-2018 LFSA. 5439 and 5440 were built last year. 5439 is technically a 2015 model, with a 2016 build date.

the 628   is this  a new bus order   was this part  of   that  large  nova/new flyer.  nycta    had order   414  nova and  268  new flyer

and took option  168  nova   and  252 new flyer.. nycta had  options  for 208  more they never  took . 

the 628 is this a new bus order was this part of that large nova/new flyer. nycta had order 414 nova and 268 new flyer

and took option 168 nova and 252 new flyer.. nycta had options for 208 more they never took .

That's old recycled news from like a year ago. Times have changed recently lol

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Edited by Metro CSW

Do you think they're going to use 97-98' RTS'es tmrw ? cuz there's gonna be heavy snowfall, thus, suspension of artics.

Most likely. You'll probably see Queens Division buses up in the Bronx filling in for KB and GH artic routes. WF might be to hold their own with CNGs and RTS.

So, an XDE40 from MBTA came to visit 2 Broadway earlier today. What makes this interesting is that this is a BAE Series-E hybrid drive equipped bus, and apparently, the execs like the idea of the engine shutting off at bus stops to save fuel.

The chances that we will get BAE's once again seems to be going up.

For those that don't know what that's like, here's a video I shot on-board an XDE40 with that same spec.

Edited by Cait Sith