MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

So, an XDE40 from MBTA came to visit 2 Broadway earlier today. What makes this interesting is that this is a BAE Series-E hybrid drive equipped bus, and apparently, the execs like the idea of the engine shutting off at bus stops to save fuel.

The chances that we will get BAE's once again seems to be going up.

Amazing. XDE40 New Flyer in NYC. Great performance bus. If the execs accept which depots to receive (I know it's too early to speak on this).

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, an XDE40 from MBTA came to visit 2 Broadway earlier today. What makes this interesting is that this is a BAE Series-E hybrid drive equipped bus, and apparently, the execs like the idea of the engine shutting off at bus stops to save fuel.

The chances that we will get BAE's once again seems to be going up.

For those that don't know what that's like, here's a video I shot on-board an XDE40 with that same spec.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zD-cm-FqgL8

Just out of curiosity, was the bus a demonstrator or did a transit authority send a bus?

The MBTA is currently receiving their XDE40's (along with XN40's and XDE60's), so it was probably a simple matter of diverting a bus that was already on its way from Minnesota to Boston.

Ok then. I was just remembering when SEPTA received a WMATA XDE40, from them for a day and wondered if it was a similar situation...

OK, so that was what I saw. I saw it sitting in Williamsburgh Bridge Plaza the other day, like it was any of the NYCT buses parked there.

It was funny, because when I saw the livery, it brought to mind the former PACE buses that used to run past there when Private Trails had them, but those were long gone.

Cool that it was the electric one!

OK, so that was what I saw. I saw it sitting in Williamsburgh Bridge Plaza the other day, like it was any of the NYCT buses parked there.

It was funny, because when I saw the livery, it brought to mind the former PACE buses that used to run past there when Private Trails had them, but those were long gone.

Cool that it was the electric one!

That MBTA paint scheme is a classic!

For 2018-2019 Delivery... 618 Standard 40-Footers.

Options from the Nova LFS and New Flyer XD40 orders exercised. 247 and 371 units respectively. Kiss the remaining RTSs in the fleet goodbye.

So I assume that since these are options, the first units won't be going through the 90 day test?

One other question, what are those 2 lights in the back for? It's located near the fleet number

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:MBTA_2016_New_Flyer_XDE40_1847_Demonstration_Bus_in_NYC.jpg

Those are green emergency lights, similar to the amber emergency lights that MTA had on the front of all of its buses.  The MBTA has these lights front and rear.