MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

That's what it's looking like. I see Staten Island on the horizon for a couple reasons. Castleton no longer has hybrids for the exact same reason MTA Bus will no longer have hybrids one day. Yukon is also going to need some new diesels to replace the buses on the S79SBS as they are not efficient for SBS service at all.

Why are they not efficient for the sbs79 ? My only issue with them is they cannot hold speed uphill period. There are times they drop down to about 30 on the vz bridge and throw a check hev until you get to the other side lol

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why are they not efficient for the sbs79 ? My only issue with them is they cannot hold speed uphill period. There are times they drop down to about 30 on the vz bridge and throw a check hev until you get to the other side lol

Series hybrids (which we have) are not built for high speeds. They are made for stop-and-go traffic. The higher the average speed of the bus, the sooner the batteries, and other components will need to be replaced.

Parallel Hybrids (Allison) are built for high and low speeds. If MTA had opted for that model on some of the hybrids, they would be much more efficient.

Series hybrids (which we have) are not built for high speeds. They are made for stop-and-go traffic. The higher the average speed of the bus, the sooner the batteries, and other components will need to be replaced.

Parallel Hybrids (Allison) are built for high and low speeds. If MTA had opted for that model on some of the hybrids, they would be much more efficient.

Like what SEPTA and WMATA have! Damn, can you imagine the MTA getting those? Wait...I thought about it. Which is why we have Series Hybrids. Thanks for the explanation.

That, and the fact that Series is not as expensive as Parallel. BAE actually offers both now, as well as a new Hybrid system that uses more electric and can completely operate on battery alone, so the buses can be shut off before entering the depot, and keeping the air inside clean.

That, and the fact that Series is not as expensive as Parallel. BAE actually offers both now, as well as a new Hybrid system that uses more electric and can completely operate on battery alone, so the buses can be shut off before entering the depot, and keeping the air inside clean.

BAE does not offer a parallel system for transit buses. Their parallel system is only available in certain truck applications. The "new system" you're referring too is not a new hybrid system but rather an add on to the existing BAE system that was developed jointly with Orion (but was released into field testing by New Flyer in 2012). The system replaces the traditional alternator and is capable of electrifying A/C, Steering, compressors to name a few in addition to what you mention. This arrangement will likely become the standard configuration in the near future.

Thanks gentleman. That's why reading is fundamental! Lol. I was looking at a brochure given to me by a BAE employee, and payed no attention that the parallel was for trucks....

And yes the new E system is just an upgrade of the old. I saw the presentation.

Edited by East New York

It still boggles the mind that the 3Gs are not put on the S79. There's enough to split between Yukon and Castleton to cover the S53/93 and S79.

It still boggles the mind that the 3Gs are not put on the S79. There's enough to split between Yukon and Castleton to cover the S53/93 and S79.

I would think it has to do with maintenance having to stockpile parts for yet another model of bus is just too much for the depot to handle? But I don't know anything about operations lol I, just a low level operator

This one is actually really simple. The MTA does not want hybrids at Castleton.

I would think it has to do with maintenance having to stockpile parts for yet another model of bus is just too much for the depot to handle? But I don't know anything about operations lol I, just a low level operator

In some cases yes, but the Orion VII's have more common parts than none, so It isn't an issue. Taking on parts for another bus wont be a problem.

Now, in another scenario, we can use Ulmer Park Depot during the test program. They had to stock parts for 4 different types of local buses, and 2 types of express buses. That was WAY too much. That's one of the reasons why the MTA started transferring the test buses, and changing up the assignments.

• 4 weeks later...

After a month off for summer vacation, It's almost time for things to return to full swing on Madison Avenue. With board meetings coming next week, it's time for major updates in this thread, and almost time for (MTA) to order some new buses! 376 of them to be exact...... 

Let's go Nova! LFS pilot 8090 is complete! She will be on her way in the coming days, and sources say she will head straight to Queens, and enter service very quickly, as did 7090.

Speaking of 7090. The bus is basically performing flawless. I have been getting regular updates on the status, as this is technically a Bus Test & Evaluation procurement. I also see the bus almost everyday at the most random times, from 3am on the B17 to 3pm on the B15. It has remained in service since the day it started. All day, and all night. The bus never rests.

I have to say this is the most impressive entry into service of any NFI bus I have seen since 1000. Bravo New Flyer!! Updates on 8091-8093 coming soon as well.

Updates will be made site-wide daily for the next 4 days as we have lots to cover. I don't want to just post it all at once, because there is way too much to cover. CNG BTE, and Prevost updates are also included.

After a month off for summer vacation, It's almost time for things to return to full swing on Madison Avenue. With board meetings coming next week, it's time for major updates in this thread, and almost time for (MTA) to order some new buses! 376 of them to be exact...... 

Let's go Nova! LFS pilot 8090 is complete! She will be on her way in the coming days, and sources say she will head straight to Queens, and enter service very quickly, as did 7090.

Speaking of 7090. The bus is basically performing flawless. I have been getting regular updates on the status, as this is technically a Bus Test & Evaluation procurement. I also see the bus almost everyday at the most random times, from 3am on the B17 to 3pm on the B15. It has remained in service since the day it started. All day, and all night. The bus never rests.

I have to say this is the most impressive entry into service of any NFI bus I have seen since 1000. Bravo New Flyer!! Updates on 8091-8093 coming soon as well.

Updates will be made site-wide daily for the next 4 days as we have lots to cover. I don't want to just post it all at once, because there is way too much to cover. CNG BTE, and Prevost updates are also included.

I just drove 7090 today on the B15, performed beautifully on my JFK trip!!!

How many days has 7090 been on the road? When dies it's test expire?

I would have to check and see when the bus went into service. Normal pilot testing phase is about 6 months. This one will be about 3-4 months.

Probably QV

Yes it's supposed to be going to QV. All the info in the first post of this thread has been updated as of yesterday, with much more detail coming soon.

I love how they started the XD40 numbers for MTA Bus right after the NYCT ones...good streaming of numbers. As for the 1000s, well the last XD60 to start there was changed at the last minute so let's see if history repeats itself lol

Truth! I confirmed the numbers for that order to be 1000-1089. 1000 showed up and was re-numbered 2 days later! lol