MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone know of a spec change in the XN40 order? 773 and 774 have a much different brake release sound than the rest of JG's batch.

My guess is NF finally gave the Xcelsiors another revision regarding that awful interlocking. The ones on the the newer 2015 and later Xclesiors seemed to give them some drag in comparison to the ones on the 2011-13 Xclesiors and C40LFs

That sucks. Why the sudden change?

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Quill is the big dog, they pretty much can get whatever they want. I thought they were going to take CS's LFSA's which I think would make perfect sense, since they already have a ton of them already. But hey the MTA's gotta show off their fancy new articulated buses in the heart of the city lol.

They're not getting everything though. They already have a few of the CS buses. It's weekend service so it should be able to get covered by the other SBS buses.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

They still will need other buses for the line during the week though, so it should be interesting.

Also, don't forget that they may have already wrapped some of their local buses to make up for the rest of buses.

Yes, but that means that very few low floor buses will be available for the M14, no? That's why I thought they would need buses from somewhere since it's not that common to see the older fleet (DHF buses) on SBS lines.

Yes, but that means that very few low floor buses will be available for the M14, no? That's why I thought they would need buses from somewhere since it's not that common to see the older fleet (DHF buses) on SBS lines.

And that's why instead of loaning to the M79 now, the M14 has trippers from 100 St now.

I heard about that, but that transfer hasn't happened yet. I assume that means they'll be shipping quite a few buses over today or tonight then... That's doable since they already have wrapped buses.

It's been happening since the XD60s started arriving to Stengel, at a gradual pace. They've been sending buses every weekend. They already received 16 buses from Stengel. They just need one more to fill in the gap between 5918 & 5935. They need 5932(unless they already have it, it's not logged into Quill or Stengel today).

The M79 altogether doesn't use that many buses as compared to the M86 SBS. So there will be a spare factor for SBS buses.

Edited by Cait Sith

It's been happening since the XD60s started arriving to Stengel, at a gradual pace. They've been sending buses every weekend. They already received 16 buses from Stengel. They just need one more to fill in the gap between 5918 & 5935. They need 5932(unless they already have it, it's not logged into Quill or Stengel today).

The M79 altogether doesn't use that many buses as compared to the M86 SBS. So there will be a spare factor for SBS buses.

MJQ has received 5918 and up from CS.  Unless MJQ has shipped any wrapped buses out to elsewhere, that batch of buses is more than enough to cover the S79SBS as well as the rest of the SBS routes at Quill.

Just a general remark, not necessarily to you Cait.

Edited by Bill from Maspeth

MJQ has received 5918 and up from CS.  Unless MJQ has shipped any wrapped buses out to elsewhere, that batch of buses is more than enough to cover the S79SBS as well as the rest of the SBS routes at Quill.

*M79SBS

They'll have more than enough, and there's going to be a significant spare factor.

They need one more in the 5918-5935, that's 5932. They might have it by now, but it's not logged in yet.

Edited by Cait Sith

Major updates across the board coming to the main page of this thread this evening.

Yes, but that means that very few low floor buses will be available for the M14, no? That's why I thought they would need buses from somewhere since it's not that common to see the older fleet (DHF buses) 

Correct. This is one of the reasons I am being told they want new XD60's diverted from Grand Avenue. There is a lot of shuffling going on and when the new XN60's are introduced at the end of the year, that will free up more Nova's and retire some D60's. I also expect an expedited order of more artics off the option order for an additional 300 buses. 190 are set to be awarded next.

5932 is in Quill now on the run line.

MJQ has received 5918 and up from CS. Unless MJQ has shipped any wrapped buses out to elsewhere, that batch of buses is more than enough to cover the S79SBS as well as the rest of the SBS routes at Quill.

Just a general remark, not necessarily to you Cait.

My question is what will happen to the surplus of buses? I doubt the depot can hold all of those extra buses.

My question is what will happen to the surplus of buses? I doubt the depot can hold all of those extra buses.

There won't be any extra buses outside of spares. Quill didn't add a new route. When the new ones arrive according to the new plan just under half of the current D60's will be shipped out and others will be retired.