MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

They came in around Sept-Nov 2012.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's actually when 2251 came in. The rest started coming during December 2012 into January 2013.

Edited by Cait Sith

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Will the first XN60 be like 677 where it was the only XN40 for like 5 months? Or will there be multiple delivered? If so what depot is first to get them?

677 was part of a 5 bus test (673-677). The others all failed while 677 passed and kept on in service. It ran out of Gleason at first, now it's in the Bronx

Will the first XN60 be like 677 where it was the only XN40 for like 5 months? Or will there be multiple delivered? If so what depot is first to get them?

Yes that's how all new bus deliveries work. There are 2 to 8 pilot buses per MTA order historically. Once the pilot buses pass a test phase, the production buses are delivered. Most every agency in America does this, however most only have 1 or 2 pilot buses per order.

677 wasn't actually the only bus delivered. It's just the only one you all saw. This order had 5 pilot. 673-677. 674 was actually the first one delivered. 674-676 were validation testing pilots. 677 was the in-service pilot. 673 had to be modified as well. I can't remember which bus was the configuration audit bus, but I'm pretty sure it was 676.

673 was supposed to be the in-service pilot. As Turtle said, the buses failed, and 677 ended up being the configuration MTA was pleased with. The others were used for systems testing or modified to MTA's approved spec change.

Edited by East New York

Yes that's how all new bus deliveries work. There are 2 to 8 pilot buses per MTA order historically. Once the pilot buses pass a test phase, the production buses are delivered. Most every agency in America does this, however most only have 1 or 2 pilot buses per order.

677 wasn't actually the only bus delivered. It's just the only one you all saw. This order had 5 pilot. 673-677. 674 was actually the first one delivered. 674-676 were validation testing pilots. 677 was the in-service pilot. 673 had to be modified as well. I can't remember which bus was the configuration audit bus, but I'm pretty sure it was 676.

673 was supposed to be the in-service pilot. As Turtle said, the buses failed, and 677 ended up being the configuration MTA was pleased with. The others were used for systems testing or modified to MTA's approved spec change.

Ah okay! I understand now, thanks for the info guys.

• 4 weeks later...

Evening all! We have a major update on the XE40 order. In accordance with yet another revised MTA timeline, more details gave changed. Originally, plans called for the XD40, then XE40 then XDE40.

The timeline now calls for the XE40's to be delivered in full by years end. In a revised schedule, MTA will move to seek board approval for the lease of 5 XE40's for a three year evaluation, qualification and test phase. All 5 of the buses will now be delivered in December. The 10 XDE40 pilots will all be delivered in February and March according to the schedule. However, not one production bus has been delivered on time since the 7000 and 7090 fleets.

The board is expected to sign off this week, then the State of NY has to sign off on it as well because of the high procurement costs, and the fact that this was not a competitive bid. Through negotiations, New Flyer reduced the total cost of the least by more than $1.7 million dollars, aligning them more in the price range of the Proterra buses as they will compete with each other for any future contracts.

As more details become available, I will be sure to share.

Evening all! We have a major update on the XE40 order. In accordance with yet another revised MTA timeline, more details gave changed. Originally, plans called for the XD40, then XE40 then XDE40.

The timeline now calls for the XE40's to be delivered in full by years end. In a revised schedule, MTA will move to seek board approval for the lease of 5 XE40's for a three year evaluation, qualification and test phase. All 5 of the buses will now be delivered in December. The 10 XDE40 pilots will all be delivered in February and March according to the schedule. However, not one production bus has been delivered on time since the 7000 and 7090 fleets.

The board is expected to sign off this week, then the State of NY has to sign off on it as well because of the high procurement costs, and the fact that this was not a competitive bid. Through negotiations, New Flyer reduced the total cost of the least by more than $1.7 million dollars, aligning them more in the price range of the Proterra buses as they will compete with each other for any future contracts.

As more details become available, I will be sure to share.

Do you know when we'll see the first XD40?

As of April 3rd, it's now a competitive RFP, so Nova could make their way into MTA Bus. Nova also protested the electric bus order along with others. It's no longer a shoe-in for New Flyer, even though the probability of them getting these orders is up there.

It's 50/50 at this rate. They might have the advantage with their delivery rates, however.db2cbb36450cb29a7cc99a5411f7a33f.png

Don't forget that MTA always issues competitive RFP's. However, there will be no competitive bidding on this order, and New Flyer will end up getting it for several reasons. At this point in time, Novas prices are starting to be way too high, and they don't have the capacity to build an additional 53 Artics for Bus Co. in the time frame that MTA will need them. I am being told Nova is booked for us through August 2019. The numbers Nova is quoting MTA for the Electric and Hybrid buses are not feasible, or economical either. It's 90/10, but definitely not 50/50. You also have to remember that MTA is in the process of streamlining it's fleet by depot and region. LFS, and LFSA do not fit into this new scenario. So it's more like 100/0 after you factor that in. lol.

Speaking of pricing points, MTA successfully negotiated an addition $1.73 Million dollar discount on the XE40's a few days ago.

As far as Nova protesting the Electric awards, MTA has stated that the decision was based off the fact that Proterra and New Flyer are "technologically superior" at this time. This does not mean other companies cannot get involved, however MTA wants more buses in service for a reference point, similar to how they evaluated the most recent CNG order, and the pending artic CNG orders.

Do you know when we'll see the first XD40?

Delivery Summary

August LFSA production pendjng (behind schedule and actually due now)

September XN60 pilots

December BE40 and XE40 pilots

January XD40 pilots

February XDE40 pilot(s)

March LFS

BYD 60 delivery pending contract negotiations, finalization, approval, and award.

Edited by East New York

In a nice surprise, 6125 (XD60) is at GH (with GH stickers so I'm guessing it's staying in the Bronx for a while.) What does this mean for the rest of the artic deliveries?

Yeah the order got changed. Gun Hill is getting the piece Grand Av was supposed to get.

Ok... Gathering the details now... This is a temporary assignment.... If you recall my post I told you all 24 hours before 6115 went to GA that it was pending cancel. Everyone made sure the next day to point out I was wrong because 6115 was in decals and all.

Today was the first time 6115 hit the road since it's been there. That's still a pending cancel situation. Whenever I post those two words back to back it can go either way.

The permanent assignment for these buses remain for Quill, then transfer to East New York. They all have SBS colors under the base local scene.

Anything prior to Quill is subject to change. Including the current assignment.... Everything is still pending, and thing will most certainly change up when the LFSA's come in. If they were here on schedule, GH would not have these buses right now.

Ok... Gathering the details now... This is a temporary assignment.... If you recall my post I told you all 24 hours before 6115 went to GA that it was pending cancel. Everyone made sure the next day to point out I was wrong because 6115 was in decals and all.

Today was the first time 6115 hit the road since it's been there. That's still a pending cancel situation. Whenever I post those two words back to back it can go either way.

The permanent assignment for these buses remain for Quill, then transfer to East New York. They all have SBS colors under the base local scene.

Anything prior to Quill is subject to change. Including the current assignment.... Everything is still pending, and thing will most certainly change up when the LFSA's come in. If they were here on schedule, GH would not have these buses right now.

Yea, when I saw Trevor's post this morning then saw one of them myself in the afternoon I was pretty surprised.

Say, what's the holdup with the LFSA's anyway?

4056 to BP

5994, 5999, 6002, 6004 to CS

7571, 7581 WF to JG (XD Summary: 742-786)

7578 SC to SCRAP

WF XN summary: 673-676, 679-691, 693-717, 720

Yea, when I saw Trevor's post this morning then saw one of them myself in the afternoon I was pretty surprised.

Say, what's the holdup with the LFSA's anyway?

It appears to be the wrap and some other technical issue, but I have not been able to confirm.

4056 to BP

5994, 5999, 6002, 6004 to CS

7571, 7581 WF to JG (XD Summary: 742-786)

7578 SC to SCRAP

WF XN summary: 673-676, 679-691, 693-717, 720

Do you know if the NGs moving to BP going through training and/or seeing service there or are they just being stored like other NYCT moves?