MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you know if the NGs moving to BP going through training and/or seeing service there or are they just being stored like other NYCT moves?

The NG's are there temporary from what im hearing, about 18 buses from bp are oos. Most of them xd60's

Future ENY operator, you are right and from what I read on another thread, the issue with both of them  is that the need repairs and it does not pay to fix them. You also raise another issue that concerns me more is what is happening to the 5000's is quite similar to what happened to the 9400 and 9600 series a couple of years ago in order to get first dibs on the 7000 series.

Future ENY operator, you are right and from what I read on another thread, the issue with both of them  is that the need repairs and it does not pay to fix them. You also raise another issue that concerns me more is what is happening to the 5000's is quite similar to what happened to the 9400 and 9600 series a couple of years ago in order to get first dibs on the 7000 series.

I'm just going to be real and direct.. When the ZF's were at Gleason (pre-cng), Flatbush and East New York those buses were very much maintained. Once those buses went to Ulmer Park, those buses starting breaking down.  Plus when the TA decided to send 5175-5199 out of Flatbush to Eastchester. Those buses weren't really being maintained.  Just speaking from an mechanic's perspective. When a bus starts to shake and rattle you have to wonder what the hell is wrong.

My thing is why you have to scrap 2 buses that were in very good shape when they left other garages in good condition. I wonder what's next. Knowing Ulmer Park, they don't take in other buses- hence NG's, LFSA's, and so I wonder what happens when 5 or 6 RTS break down. Borrow from their cousins from Flatbush and East New York and leave them short.

Edited by Future ENY OP

I'm just going to be real and direct.. When the ZF's were at Gleason (pre-cng), Flatbush and East New York those buses were very much maintained. Once those buses went to Ulmer Park, those buses starting breaking down.  Plus when the TA decided to send 5175-5199 out of Flatbush to Eastchester. Those buses weren't really being maintained.  Just speaking from an mechanic's perspective. When a bus starts to shake and rattle you have to wonder what the hell is wrong.

My thing is why you have to scrap 2 buses that were in very good shape when they left other garages in good condition. I wonder what's next. Knowing Ulmer Park, they don't take in other buses- hence NG's, LFSA's, and so I wonder what happens when 5 or 6 RTS break down. Borrow from their cousins from Flatbush and East New York and leave them short.

That's not really the case, 5102 and 5111 had long-term wear and tear damage, to the point where it ended up being far beyond the ability to repair it. The whole fleet isnt getting scrapped.

That's not really the case, 5102 and 5111 had long-term wear and tear damage, to the point where it ended up being far beyond the ability to repair it. The whole fleet isnt getting scrapped.

Thats a copy Cait.. Thank You for the clear up. However, as of late I've been seeing a few UP buses on tow.

Future ENY operator and I  are in agreement as to what is happening at Ulmer Park and it seems to be something that has become quite noticeable over the last couple of years, There are now 4 from the 5000 series that are missing from the Ulmer Park roster 508(either 7 or 8, not sure) , 5121 and now 5102 and 5111. I know that I am not suffering from senility as I remember I saw 5111 in service just late last week on either the 3 or the 36. Future ENY operator is right as what is Ulmer Park going to do when it has some breakdowns and the buses are not available from other garages? I feel for those that have to ride  on a daily basis as I would have been dreading taking the bus going to work.. 

I don't recall #5075-5124 being at Gleason and East New York. I know they went from Gun Hill to Flatbush/Ulmer Park...then ALL to Flatbush...then ALL to Ulmer Park.

You have to remember that one, these buses are 18 years old, and they have been worked hard day in and day out for nearly 2 decades. The ZF of old is not as tough as the Allison's back in the day, and if I recall correctly this is the longest lasting ZF RTS fleet ever.

And just an FYI, the RTS retirement date has been pushed back once again. Now it's 2020. At least 160 will be on reserve for the L shuttle.

I don't recall #5075-5124 being at Gleason and East New York. I know they went from Gun Hill to Flatbush/Ulmer Park...then ALL to Flatbush...then ALL to Ulmer Park.

That is correct.

You have to remember that one, these buses are 18 years old, and they have been worked hard day in and day out for nearly 2 decades. The ZF of old is not as tough as the Allison's back in the day, and if I recall correctly this is the longest lasting ZF RTS fleet ever.

And just an FYI, the RTS retirement date has been pushed back once again. Now it's 2020. At least 160 will be on reserve for the L shuttle.

That is correct.

Did I miss something? Those 200 ex-TTC units, has it gone quiet? Yay or nay?

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Did I miss something? Those 200 ex-TTC units, has it gone quiet? Yay or nay?

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Pending cancel due to the fact that we will have new diesel buses by then, and the fact that the XDE40's will be rolling in by then as well.

MTA is also reserving RTS and OG hybrids for the shuttle as well.

New fleet plans:

9 Novas from TA to bus this year

8 Novas to bus next year

17 Artics to GA, required for the Bushwick Crosstown SBS next year.

Edited by East New York

Pending cancel due to the fact that we will have new diesel buses by then, and the fact that the XDE40's will be rolling in by then as well.

New fleet plans:

8 Novas to bus next year

Bushwick Crosstown? That's definitely needed. All those routes are slow and take about an hour to get from Downtown to Bushwick. I wonder if this is even a Service from Downtown Brooklyn to Bushwick, probably got ahead of myself there.

Bushwick Crosstown? That's definitely needed. All those routes are slow and take about an hour to get from Downtown to Bushwick. I wonder if this is even a Service from Downtown Brooklyn to Bushwick, probably got ahead of myself there.

We have actually had a few discussions about it and there is a thread somewhere.

It's Downtown to Buskwick Myrtle-Wycoff.

New fleet plans:

8 Novas to bus next year

So far from reading everything. I know there's no actual date next year for the Bushwick SBS and that it's going down Myrtle. Will that SBS have an exclusive bus route? Also, will it have any effect to the current B54 local service.

Also, as far as fleet is concerned, will the NYCT XD60 artic order begin at 6179.

Hey, TTC O7s or NYCTA RTSes, as long as I get to ride a DD50 on that shuttle I'll be a happy camper. But I think it'd be a special kind of drool from me if there were a bus bridge of majority RTSes...favorite fleet ever, and my whole childhood from the GMCs and on. 

We have an artic order update, as well as a Bus Company future fleet update. MTA will NOT exercise all the options for this order leaving the rest for the future. Also note the fleet numbers are tentative and not conformed. As aleays any and everuthing is subject to change pending final approval.

New Flyer XD60 (108) 6126-6233

New Flyer XDE60 (10) Fleet numbers unknown

NovaBus LFSA (72) 5530-5601

Thw Bus Company base order for 25 Standard diesel buses has been pushed back to 2020. Current plans call for 9 more RTS to MTAB pending as we speak. All should be transferred by years end. In 2018 TA plans to send over 8 more RTS. 2019 plans call for 24 2005 OG hybrids to be transferred.

The option for 53 buses is expected to be exercised in short order and will follow the TA order. I am being told the lead bus however will not be that, yet indeed a pilot which pushes everything back to a 2018/19 delivery. This will depend on finalization of the contract and issuance of a Notice To Proceed date. Tentative number will likely change to 6234-6286

So far from reading everything. I know there's no actual date next year for the Bushwick SBS and that it's going down Myrtle. Will that SBS have an exclusive bus route? Also, will it have any effect to the current B54 local service.

Also, as far as fleet is concerned, will the NYCT XD60 artic order is supposed to begin at 6179, however I’m being told the order will be pushed back which means the order would start at 6126. See above.

The original plan was fall 2017. This along with the M14SBS have been under the radar and not publically mentioned by the MTA, so i dont have any dates as of right now. I was however able to confirm 17 buses plus 3 spares for crosstown SBS and yes they should start at 6178 but only if the numbers aren’t changed as mentioned above. (Not confirmed). Its said to be an all new route and not neccesarily parallel any current ones in full length. We will likely see asmall drop in passengers on both the B54 and B57.

Hey, TTC O7s or NYCTA RTSes, as long as I get to ride a DD50 on that shuttle I'll be a happy camper. But I think it'd be a special kind of drool from me if there were a bus bridge of majority RTSes...favorite fleet ever, and my whole childhood from the GMCs and on.

Facts! I also eroniously reported the numbers. After reviewing the documents again, the (L) train reserve fleet now calls for 160 RTS AND 160 OG hybrids.

This also extends the life of the RTS fleet through the summer of 2020 now.

Edited by East New York