MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

I'm surprised new flyer won as opposed to nova. Was hoping for LFS's at MTA bus

I wonder which BC depots are to get the 40' Xcelsior batch. As long as it's not LaGuardia I'll be more than happy.

Well you're feelings MIGHT get hurt because LaGuardia is suppose to get 25 or so of the 45. The rest COULD go to Eastchester since those Orions are on their last legs.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm surprised new flyer won as opposed to nova. Was hoping for LFS's at MTA bus

I wonder which BC depots are to get the 40' Xcelsior batch. As long as it's not LaGuardia I'll be more than happy.

Well you're feelings MIGHT get hurt because LaGuardia is suppose to get 25 or so of the 45. The rest COULD go to Eastchester since those Orions are on their last legs.

I honestly rather see the XD40's at FR/JFK and ECH. At least they would fare better over there than they would at LGA.

Edited by -CT1660-

Again, just a reminder that major updates are in the first post of this thread. As many of you may notice, just prior to the award of the newest buses I posted that it was time for another major round of bus orders. That was the kick off, and next up will be the artic order for NYCT. We have major developments with that order as well that might surprise you all.

I had been hearing New Flyer would get the balance of the MTA Bus order, and this evening, I will speak on what I am being told about the artic order. I was asked to remain silent about specifics of the MTAB order, however now that things are public I can discuss what is new, and quite shocking I must say.

Below is a list of the individual programs that I will be covering in detail over the next few months by category. After my next update in the first post in this thread, all links to the following respective discussions will be linked.

*BT&E Phase 2: Nova vs. New Flyer with 700 options at stake.

*256 Artics for NYCT local, and SBS expansion, and the 2 year delay

*Orion VII CNG Replacement discussion

Edited by East New York

• 4 weeks later...

Ok everyone. I have been silent for a while because there are a lot of developments. With 1,000 plus new buses on the way, and the production backlogs stacking up for New Flyer and Nova, things are going to be quite different from what everyone originally expected. The CNG procurement is coming up, and a lot is riding on Nova LFS pilot 8090. With 7090 in its acceptance phase, preventive maintenance is a major issue for all new buses coming in the future. 700 options are at stake, and I can say with confidence that this is going to be quite interesting. As the year comes to a close, the first Nova pilot is set to enter service any day as long as everything ramps up as it is supposed to. 

256 Articulated buses are set to be awarded next. It was once expected that Nova was a shoe-in for this award. However, because of the recent developments, this was a toss up, and the award schedule has changed several times. MTA has pretty much decided which way this order will go. Stay tuned for details coming very soon.

Ok everyone. I have been silent for a while because there are a lot of developments. With 1,000 plus new buses on the way, and the production backlogs stacking up for New Flyer and Nova, things are going to be quite different from what everyone originally expected. The CNG procurement is coming up, and a lot is riding on Nova LFS pilot 8090. With 7090 in its acceptance phase, preventive maintenance is a major issue for all new buses coming in the future. 700 options are at stake, and I can say with confidence that this is going to be quite interesting. As the year comes to a close, the first Nova pilot is set to enter service any day as long as everything ramps up as it is supposed to.

256 Articulated buses are set to be awarded next. It was once expected that Nova was a shoe-in for this award. However, because of the recent developments, this was a toss up, and the award schedule has changed several times. MTA has pretty much decided which way this order will go. Stay tuned for details coming very soon.

With all the orders (artic, Prevost) they've won and the factory upstate I honestly thought Nova/Prevost was gonna become the next Orion for the MTA. Was shocked to see NF get the MTAB order but now it's really looking like Nova isn't gonna be so big with the TA. I'm good I like the Xcelsior more anyways, but it looked like the next 10 years was gonna be all LFS and Prevost coming our way.

Then again, the TA took a lot of crap from Orion too and still ordered hundreds/thousands of buses from them.

• 4 weeks later...

Ladies and gentleman, boys and girls. I have been quiet because thing have been changing daily. There are lots of new developments within The Department of buses. That means it's time to clean this thread, and move on to the next procurement cycle. 256 Artics, 700 Standard diesels (active options), and 138 CNG's.

It is now a confirmed fact that New York City Transit will take delivery of more Xcelsiors that originally expected. 45 Standards, and 75 Artics are only the beginning.  

The CNG order is going to be a major area for the engineering department as the Nova LFS NG is up against the New Flyer XN40. As of Monday November 17, 2014 there is a 70% Chance the next CNG buses will be New Flyer. I personally, am 90% sure they will be XN40's. Mark my words.

I am going to overhaul the BTE thread as most new information on buses will be in detail there. 7090 should be back in service from evaluation and audit in short order. It has been reported that 8090 is now on the way. I an awaiting confirmation as I type.

Ladies and gentleman, boys and girls. I have been quiet because thing have been changing daily. There are lots of new developments within The Department of buses. That means it's time to clean this thread, and move on to the next procurement cycle. 256 Artics, 700 Standard diesels (active options), and 138 CNG's.

It is now a confirmed fact that New York City Transit will take delivery of more Xcelsiors that originally expected. 45 Standards, and 75 Artics are only the beginning.  

The CNG order is going to be a major area for the engineering department as the Nova LFS NG is up against the New Flyer XN40. As of Monday November 17, 2014 there is a 70% Chance the next CNG buses will be New Flyer. I personally, am 90% sure they will be XN40's. Mark my words.

I am going to overhaul the BTE thread as most new information on buses will be in detail there. 7090 should be back in service from evaluation and audit in short order. It has been reported that 8090 is now on the way. I an awaiting confirmation as I type.

I'm NOT surprise that we'll get XN40s. Calgary tested the Nova LF CNG and then just dropped out of sight.

New York City is on the path to becoming a New Flyer city.

I'm NOT surprise that we'll get XN40s. Calgary tested the Nova LF CNG and then just dropped out of sight.

It's a very well built bus, however, I do not expect Nova to be able to deliver the buses when MTA wants them. The details are subject to change, but if MTA uses federal funds, it will be the lowest qualified bidder.

Are any CNG demos expected to visit?

I would expect a couple demos in short order. (MTA) wants to replace the Orion CNG's at an accelerated rate. The first units will all be replaced in 2016. With a pilot, or pilots expected late 2015.

256 Articulated buses are set to be awarded next. It was once expected that Nova was a shoe-in for this award. However, because of the recent developments, this was a toss up, and the award schedule has changed several times. MTA has pretty much decided which way this order will go. Stay tuned for details coming

will there be an option on the artic order, for expnsion.

Not sure what you mean as Nova has won a few orders for the LFS CNG already. Buffalo and Hamilton, Ontario come to mind instantly.

What I meant was I never heard anything more about the Nova LFS CNG test buses (2) at Calgary. I didn't know that they have a couple of orders. Thanks for the heads up.

will there be an option on the artic order, for expnsion.

So the new CNG order at the moment is only for NYCT right?

Yes, MTAB has an entirely new fleet of CNG buses. The oldest being only 3 years old.

Not sure what you mean as Nova has won a few orders for the LFS CNG already. Buffalo and Hamilton, Ontario come to mind instantly. 

Correct. They have a few, and most notably the first in America was awarded by NFTA in upstate New York. The only problem so far is that Nova would be unable to deliver the buses when MTA wants them.

How come 7090 is not being tested at different depots?

It will eventually, however with this order there are 4 pilot buses, so things will go different from what we are use to seeing. The bus will go back in service after audit and maintenance, and the other buses will be used for qualification testing and final configuration audit.