MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has any of the MCI's from (MTA) Bus been rehabbed yet and if so which ones? I've been seeing quite a few break downs of late (lots of Eastchester buses in particular).

they have been getting overhauled on the same schedule as the NYCT MCI's and prevosts. They just get done at East New York CMF

they have been getting overhauled on the same schedule as the NYCT MCI's and prevosts. They just get done at East New York CMF

I can't believe they're already overhauling the Prevosts... Saw another Ulmer Park Prevost with a new paint job.  Quite frankly it's good because they'll get the normal (MTA) logo. The original Prevosts with the amateur (MTA) logo looks awful.

Don't crap on LGA's maintenance. Yes they'll be put to work, because it's a high-demand depot, in a high-demand borough. If anything, LGA will give it the biggest test of them all.

The maintenance does the best they can with the time they have to fix a bus and with the amount of buses they have to fix, since they have an old fleet.

They crap on ENY's maintenance, and idk why - other depots (including JFK, LGA, and plenty more) overhauls/repaints get done at ENY, and they are a busy depot as well - they take care of other depots buses... And ENY's buses aren't bad at all... The Xcelsiors there are just fine. I like them here.

Ulmer Park however... let me just stop right here.

Don't crap on LGA's maintenance. Yes they'll be put to work, because it's a high-demand depot, in a high-demand borough. If anything, LGA will give it the biggest test of them all.

The maintenance does the best they can with the time they have to fix a bus and with the amount of buses they have to fix, since they have an old fleet.

They crap on ENY's maintenance, and idk why - other depots (including JFK, LGA, and plenty more) overhauls/repaints get done at ENY, and they are a busy depot as well - they take care of other depots buses... And ENY's buses aren't bad at all... The Xcelsiors there are just fine. I like them here.

Ulmer Park however... let me just stop right here.

LMAO... In all fairness, Ulmer Park has a pretty old depot, but I'll agree that their maintenance seems almost non-existant.  They don't seem to clean the buses either.  The express buses look as if they've never seen a mop.  I get the X27 along Shore Road and the passengers in Bay Ridge don't dirty the buses... Just ordinary use, so they need to be cleaned.

If LGA were to wind up with XD40's, wouldn't it be hell for LGA's mechanics to having to maintain another bus model? Considering they already deal with MCI's, Gen II+'s, NG's and RTS's to begin with. And besides, where would they turn to when they need XD40 parts since pretty much every other XD40 depot are all Brooklyn Division (unless certain parts are cross-compatible from CP's C40LF's)...

I still have a feeling LGA may not get them..

Edited by -CT1660-

My take on LGA: they have a very old fleet and they do have a goodly number of overnight runs which brings up the mileage.  Isn't their maintenance area getting overhauled?

I would imagine since the latest is ECH and JFK getting the Xcellisors instead of LGA, LGA will get the RTS' recently sent to ECH.

The entire depot is actually getting an overhaul. New maintenance bay, bus chassis washer, and added storage space.

If LGA were to wind up with XD40's, wouldn't it be hell for LGA's mechanics to having to maintain another bus model? Considering they already deal with MCI's, Gen II+'s, NG's and RTS's to begin with. And besides, where would they turn to when they need XD40 parts since pretty much every other XD40 depot are all Brooklyn Division (unless certain parts are cross-compatible from CP's C40LF's)...

I still have a feeling LGA may not get them..

LG has enough room to store parts for a new bus, and in the future they will have more cpacity

Where would ECH's 99's go? Back to NYCT? Those would be better for LGA to get than 94/95's. 

Most likely they would go to JFK to replace the older RTS.

As of now, what I am being told is the 4900-5249 buses for the most part will remain in Brooklyn, and at Quill. The first of the buses that are supposed to go to MTAB would be 4900-5104. However that is supposed to be some time away from what I am hearing. the 8750-9349 are to be the next RTS buses to retire. However, there are still quite a few Orion V buses that will have to be retired first. This means some of these buses will be here a little longer as planned, but depending on how this all plays out, and how the Nova order progresses, will have an effect on the outcome. MTAB could end up with newer RTS buses by default simply because the division currently has at least 135 still. With 45 coming in, it would only make sense for the last 90 RTS at Bus Company all be at LG. That could easily be 45 99 series buses, and 45 97/98 series. Leaving all the rest to retire.

The first post in this thread has been updated. I also added the assignments in for new buses for the first time in 3 years. Note, assignments for the Prevosts are not yet complete.

Updates for the Department of Buses and MTA Bus Company are coming this week in this thread, as well as the Bus Test & Evaluation sub-forum.

The topics will include:

• NYCT/MTABus merger Update
  • Bus Test & Evaluation: Nova vs. New Flyer
  • Configuration testion of Hanover vs. Luminator Destination Signs
  • New 4One Gimini Seating configuration evaluation (as seen on coach #7133)
  • New Onboard Audio-Visual LED information boards for 200 buses in initial pilot program.

For information on all of the above follow the BTE Subforum.

• 1 month later...

According to the assignment update, LGA has 7438-7482, with 7438-7451 in service. All of Brooklyn :nyct: depots (minus Gleason) has 7090-7351 updated as of 7/6/15.

As for the LFSes, 8090 is here. What's the hold up on the rest? Right now the roster should be at 8250 unless 8090 is in more testing at ENY

As for the LFSes, 8090 is here. What's the hold up on the rest? Right now the roster should be at 8250 unless 8090 is in more testing at ENY

If it makes you feel any better, we have this one sitting at one of the Nova bus plants:

FB_IMG_1436489291610_zpsktco1kjw.jpg

This should mean the buses are to be delivered within the next few days or weeks.