MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

Thank you. The LFSA assignment is a typo as well as the XN60’s with 1053. 

The Quill batch still has to be added as well as all the additional new information I mentioned in the moves and transfers thread. The first page isn’t fully updated as of right now. The depot information is also out of date. 

As far as the new XD60’s to Bus Company, once they come in they won’t need extra buses. The incoming order is for more buses than they have right now from Transit. So next summer they won’t need to borrow anything. 

Again, try to wait for all my updates to be complete before we get into discussions about the rest of the fleet. I will be finished soon.

in addition to all that in the future would you please not quote that title post. It takes up a lot of space. Just quote the section you want to reference. 

On 7/8/2018 at 4:33 PM, FLX9304 said:

If the NYCTA/MTABC went LED on their local runs (FB0457, meaning B44’s driver run), that bus run would change to FB0497 for the B44SBS 

Can you explain what you are talking about here? I’m lost. 

Edited by East New York

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/3/2011 at 10:03 PM, East New York said:

NovaBus TL-40102A Low Floor (Pilot testing underway)

8504-8754 (251) (NYCT) 

Depot assignments are now pending for the LFS option order. These buses will be for Bronx, Staten Island, and Queens Divisions. 

***This is part of the 643 Standard 40 Foot option order

Quick question regarding the new batch of LFS's. Will these buses be pushing out any BX Orion VII NG Hybrids or any other of the Bronx's 40 foot fleets, or is it to soon to tell? 

Edited by MTABusFan925

1 minute ago, MTABusFan925 said:

Quick question regarding the new batch of LFS's. Will these buses be pushing out Orion VII NG Hybrids or any other of the Bronx's 40 foot fleets, or is it to soon to tell?

It may be too soon to tell, but since Manhattanville has 62 2003-2004 hybrids that are next to retire, and they won’t accept any diesel buses, it is possible that the new LTS buses will push out the Next Generation hybrids to that depot, replacing the hybrids there. After all, it is the only other non-CNG 40 bus in the Bronx as a whole (other than the 1 RTS still at Eastchester for some odd reason).

4 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

It may be too soon to tell, but since Manhattanville has 62 2003-2004 hybrids that are next to retire, and they won’t accept any diesel buses, it is possible that the new LTS buses will push out the Next Generation hybrids to that depot, replacing the hybrids there. After all, it is the only other non-CNG 40 bus in the Bronx as a whole (other than the 1 RTS still at Eastchester for some odd reason).

We do have that upcoming 275 hybrid order... I wouldn't be surprised if Manhattanville got a piece of that.

23 minutes ago, East New York said:

Thank you. The LFSA assignment is a typo as well as the XN60’s with 1053. 

The Quill batch still has to be added as well as all the additional new information I mentioned in the moves and transfers thread. The first page isn’t fully updated as of right now. The depot information is also out of date. 

As far as the new XD60’s to Bus Company, once they come in they won’t need extra buses. The incoming order is for more buses than they have right now from Transit. So next summer they won’t need to borrow anything. 

Again, try to wait for all my updates to be complete before we get into discussions about the rest of the fleet. I will be finished soon.

in addition to all that in the future would you please not quote that title post. It takes up a lot of space. Just quote the section you want to reference

You’re welcome. Can’t wait to see the fully updated first page for this thread. Will it also discuss plans for the Casey Stengel Depot, which was supposed to be talked about a while ago?

Also, You say that the 53 XD60 buses for Bus Company will be enough to cover Woodhaven Blvd SBS service to a point that there will be no loans for the summer, yet they are supposed to get 43 of those buses, slightly more that the buses they are leasing now. How will they operate with 43 buses during the heavy summer season when they currently have to operate 48 buses this summer (8 extra buses to LG)?

Sorry for quoting the whole title page. I was concerned about the missing info for the bus fleets, depot plans,, and delivery dates of buses that can mislead viewers of this thread.

6 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

We do have that upcoming 275 hybrid order... I wouldn't be surprised if Manhattanville got a piece of that.

That’s supposed to come in 2019. By that time, we might be replacing the 2005 OG hybrids (6490-6689). We are currently replacing the 2003 hybrids (6365-6489) at Manhattanville and Queens Village. And yes, they may get a piece of that order.

32 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

That’s supposed to come in 2019. By that time, we might be replacing the 2005 OG hybrids (6490-6689). We are currently replacing the 2003 hybrids (6365-6489) at Manhattanville and Queens Village. And yes, they may get a piece of that order.

Do you think Manhattanville might get the Orion VII NG from Yukon and Kingsbridge to fill in the gap when the 2003-2004 hybrids go to scrap?

2 minutes ago, MHV184 said:

Do you think Manhattanville might get the Orion VII NG from Yukon and Kingsbridge to fill in the gap when the 2003-2004 hybrids go to scrap?

Obviously. They will not take any diesel buses anytime now, so something has to replace the old hybrids.

3 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Obviously. They will not take any diesel buses anytime now, so something has to replace the old hybrids.

Why won't they take diesels right now? I mean they used to have RTS's and plus those hybrids and NGs are also diesel so what's the problem?

I will get to the other questions when I do the updat but as I stated before unless something changes, Manhattanville is first on the list for hybrids to my knowledge. 

1 hour ago, MHV184 said:

Why won't they take diesels right now? I mean they used to have RTS's and plus those hybrids and NGs are also diesel so what's the problem?

Those are Diesel-Electric hybrids. MV was mandated all hybrid by MTA long ago. They have in the past had the occasional RTS to make service, but those days are over. Every depot in NYC used RTS at one time or another. 

In addition to all that, there is a new agreement in place with Columbia and the city to make MV the “greenest” depot. I would also assume that they are on the list for electric buses as well. 

Again I ask that you all hold off on all the questions until everything is complete. Many of them will be answered. This included the timeline for delivery of hybrids 9710-9784 and a slew of other things. I’m working on it now. 

1 hour ago, East New York said:

I will get to the other questions when I do the updat but as I stated before unless something changes, Manhattanville is first on the list for hybrids to my knowledge. 

Those are Diesel-Electric hybrids. MV was mandated all hybrid by MTA long ago. They have in the past had the occasional RTS to make service, but those days are over. Every depot in NYC used RTS at one time or another. 

In addition to all that, there is a new agreement in place with Columbia and the city to make MV the “greenest” depot. I would also assume that they are on the list for electric buses as well. 

Again I ask that you all hold off on all the questions until everything is complete. Many of them will be answered. This included the timeline for delivery of hybrids 9710-9784 and a slew of other things. I’m working on it now. 

Do you mean 9510-9584?

4 minutes ago, LegoBrickBreaker101 said:

The LFS’ and LFSAs that have arrived since 2015 are all smart buses. The only thing that makes it a smart bus is the electric cooling

Do all of those buses have the Hi-Visibility windshield? If not, how can you tell the difference between the regular Nova LFS windshield and the Hi-Visibility windshield?

24 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Do all of those buses have the Hi-Visibility windshield? If not, how can you tell the difference between the regular Nova LFS windshield and the Hi-Visibility windshield?

None of our buses have the hi-vis window even though 8504 was supposed to come with it.

Here's 8504 (which has the standard window)

43332087741_323e43fb2c_b.jpg

And here is Société de transport de Montréal 38-057 with the new window

D598030E-F42E-4D6C-9863-34BCD74E6A53.jpe

2 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

None of our buses have the hi-vis window even though 8504 was supposed to come with it.

Here's 8504 (which has the standard window)

43332087741_323e43fb2c_b.jpg

And here is Société de transport de Montréal 38-057 with the new window

D598030E-F42E-4D6C-9863-34BCD74E6A53.jpe

From the pictures, they look like the same windshield. I also notice that the driver side windows look the same. Where does the difference between the two lie?

16 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

From the pictures, they look like the same windshield. I also notice that the driver side windows look the same. Where does the difference between the two lie?

Look closer at the driver’s windows. They’re not the same.

Edited by LegoBrickBreaker101

Just now, LegoBrickBreaker101 said:

Look closer at the driver’s windows. They’re not the same.

Oh. So that’s the differences. It’s such a shame that’s they were not included with all the LFS and LFSA buses we have, including the new ones that are on the Manhattan Crosstowns. I would love to see all buses with those windows.

2 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

It's running on the M31 at this moment.......

Slightly unrelated, saw a Tuskegee NG on 116 St coming from North NIS. Didn't catch the number, but that probably was 3937.

Also 5842 to KB. Saw it yesterday and wasn't 100% sure but confirmed today.

1022 to WF

Why is WF keep getting JG buses? I know the assignments were revised. Do they have to get rid of their Orion’s so that’s why they’re getting buses? 

19 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Looks like this bus is testing service at another depot in one of its natural habitats (aka Bronx, Queens, Staten Island).

It's a bus, not a Nat Geo Special.... Youtube

Anyways, after leaving Kingsbridge out of the artic orders, Kingsbridge could use an include in the LFS order, even if it was likely to happen.

2 hours ago, Metro CSW said:

It's a bus, not a Nat Geo Special.... Youtube

Anyways, after leaving Kingsbridge out of the artic orders, Kingsbridge could use an include in the LFS order, even if it was likely to happen.

First off, I'm very sorry about that comment. I did not mean to cause any harm there.

Also, even if they were to go to Kingsbridge, keep in mind that there are currently 88 hybrids over there. Do you expect that all 88 hybrids would be displaced from Kingsbridge, and if so, where to?

In addition, why didn't they test them in Staten Island, especially on the S89 over the Bayonne Bridge? For Gods sake they just raised the damn roadway over there.

12 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

First off, I'm very sorry about that comment. I did not mean to cause any harm there.

Also, even if they were to go to Kingsbridge, keep in mind that there are currently 88 hybrids over there. Do you expect that all 88 hybrids would be displaced from Kingsbridge, and if so, where to?

In addition, why didn't they test them in Staten Island, especially on the S89 over the Bayonne Bridge? For Gods sake they just raised the damn roadway over there.

All I'm saying is that all of them don't really need to be displaced. A small number of buses can be around being that there's four to five years of life the older hybrids have within them. I like the NGs but in the near future they will be picked out into the chopping block and newer buses will be needed in case if age has a significant toll of the vehicles. Obviously, in life nothing lasts forever. DUH!!!! And for the record, it does not matter where they go. All we know is the preliminary details of where they could go and anything can be changed with just a similar command by the Ops 'there' and of course 'here'. It's all a matter of waiting and watching for new developments. Not cheap speculations and assumptions from the ass.

Edited by Metro CSW