MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

47 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

What the hell? Those XD60s are 2 years old and already having HVAC Problems? How did the HVAC break down on these new buses?

That might be one reason why all the LFS orders after 2011 have the Carriers (though I could be wrong)

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

The BP shortage is not because of the hybrids. Its those xd60's, they been having hvac issues hence seeing the orion's pop up on the blvd routes

It's actually more of the hybrids. There's quite a few of them OOS with some at the vendor as we speak, hence why XD60s have popped up on the Q64 more often as of late, and one or two have shown up on the Q110.

5 hours ago, Jdog14 said:

That might be one reason why all the LFS orders after 2011 have the Carriers (though I could be wrong)

They have Mobile Climate Control HVACs.

But that's not the point, all the XD60s have ThermoKings, but different compressors. 5987-6125 have TK HVACs with TKX640 compressors. 5364-5438 also have TK HVACs, but with Bitzer 6NFC HVAC compressors. I'm willing to bet that it's moreso the compressors that's been having issues.

Baisley Park have also been running their buses into the ground as of late. Last year, it was JFK that was short on artics because of breakdowns and issues, now BP is having issues with them. 5396 came to JFK earlier this year, and it was straight  t r a s h, somehow, JFK got that bus running better than ever.

6 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

Baisley Park have also been running their buses into the ground as of late. Last year, it was JFK that was short on artics because of breakdowns and issues, now BP is having issues with them. 5396 came to JFK earlier this year, and it was straight  t r a s h, somehow, JFK got that bus running better than ever.

JFK fixing other depots buses up? That's a surprise to me...

6543 is on loan to Baisley again

Intersting thing is these loans go back and forth. Last week 6545 was on a Baisley route. The next morning it was apparently on the Q37, and then later that day it was on the Q64

Side note is last night I got 3782, the hybrid that broke down in the Queens-Midtown tunnel on the QM4, that bus sounded terrible. It was making a noise similar to a fan belt screech. The hybrids have not been doing that well, and it doesn’t help that they’re being run constantly. They’re having the problem that west farms had where their buses keep breaking down and they can’t catch up in maintence. 

1 hour ago, Q64 To Forest Hills said:

6543 is on loan to Baisley again

Intersting thing is these loans go back and forth. Last week 6545 was on a Baisley route. The next morning it was apparently on the Q37, and then later that day it was on the Q64

Side note is last night I got 3782, the hybrid that broke down in the Queens-Midtown tunnel on the QM4, that bus sounded terrible. It was making a noise similar to a fan belt screech. The hybrids have not been doing that well, and it doesn’t help that they’re being run constantly. They’re having the problem that west farms had where their buses keep breaking down and they can’t catch up in maintence. 

What’s 3782 doing on the QM4 in the first place. Baisley doesn’t have express buses for weekend coverage? 

25 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

What’s 3782 doing on the QM4 in the first place. Baisley doesn’t have express buses for weekend coverage? 

This was a few weeks ago. Not yesterday. I got 3782 on the q64

22 minutes ago, East New York said:

And 3782 on the QM4???????? Don't forget ALL the OG hybrids are over the 12 year service life limit. They are actually doing better than expected seeing as they are not optimized for the higher average speeds of Queens.

Yup, Baisley was short on MCIs one morning. Their orange signed ones aren’t doing good either. The greens are supposed to be straight up reserve buses, but they are always running because the oranges are in the shop. Around a week after another hybrid, I believe 3686 also ran on the QM4. My guy at Baisley said it most likely broke down because of the govern on it 

Edited by Q64 To Forest Hills
Response left out

49 minutes ago, East New York said:

And 3782 on the QM4???????? Don't forget ALL the OG hybrids are over the 12 year service life limit. They are actually doing better than expected seeing as they are not optimized for the higher average speeds of Queens.

And that includes the 60 OG hybrids assigned to Queens Village? How about the ones in Brooklyn? How are those hybrids doing?

17 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

And that includes the 60 OG hybrids assigned to Queens Village? How about the ones in Brooklyn? How are those hybrids doing?

He did say all...even though some are a few months shy of hitting the 12 year mark.

Edited by Cait Sith
Damn typos on mobile suck.

1 hour ago, East New York said:

1025, 1026 pending to WF

4950, 5044 FB to UP (2)

5188 GA to UP (2)

5397 JK to BP (1)

7484 JA back to NFI 

7649 to FB

EDIT: Due to the acelleration of both Artic options, all RTS are scheduled to be retired by January 2020.

4918, 5064 FB to Scrap 

5082, 5086, 5088, 5098, 5124 retired out of UP

8933, 8994, and 9027 JK to EC pending Scrap.

6543 and 6545 actually haven't left since they were reported. 

(1) 5397 was never a JFK bus. 

(2) These were loans, as all 3 buses are back to their respective depots. 

3 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

He clearly said all.

Again, thanks for the clarification. I am hoping for the hybrids to do really well under tough conditions, such as on high speed routes. The last thing i need to se are buses breaking down mid route on important streets like Utica Avenue due to going too fast.

Another question to ask, but maybe off topic: MTA as a whole has over 1600 hybrids (exactly 1675 hybrids, though some have been prematurely retired). This makes it the largest fleet of hybrids in the United States. Since the 2003 hybrids will be retired, 125 hybrids will have to subtracted from the 1675 hybrid number, leaving 1550 hybrid buses still in service. Will the MTA lose that distinction of having the largest hybrid fleet in the US, or more hybrids be ordered to keep that distinction, which I really enjoy about the MTA fleet? 

3 hours ago, East New York said:

1025, 1026 pending to WF

4950, 5044 FB to UP

5188 GA to UP

5397 JK to BP

7484 JA back to NFI 

7649 to FB

EDIT: Due to the acelleration of both Artic options, all RTS are scheduled to be retired by January 2020.

The artic options for the L train shuttle and the XD60s if I’m correct? 

23 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

The artic options for the L train shuttle and the XD60s if I’m correct? 

yes 36 lfs 60's for the m14 sbs

51 xd60's mch for m15 sbs

57  xd60's to fla  for b44 sbs to replace the current 38 lfs  witch will be transfered to man or BX. and either the b46sbs or the b44 lcl  will transition.

49 minutes ago, limitednyc said:

yes 36 lfs 60's for the m14 sbs

51 xd60's mch for m15 sbs

57  xd60's to fla  for b44 sbs to replace the current 38 lfs  witch will be transfered to man or BX. and either the b46sbs or the b44 lcl  will transition.

The 57 buses for Flatbush are for the B44 SBS and the B46 SBS. This will allow for partial conversion of the latter line into articulated operations, which should’ve been done a long time ago. And yes, this is real!!!!

5 hours ago, East New York said:

I’m guessing the 2020 date will allow those drivers who like those buses to drive them as much as possible before they have to kiss them goodbye?

10 minutes ago, limitednyc said:

when the 88 xd40's and 36 xd60's  can be used in general service

It’s actually 96 XD40s and 36 LFSAs for the (L) train shuttle operations. I feel like January 2020 is too early for these buses to retire (I'm talking about the RTS, the only bus voted best bus to operate by MTA drivers in Manhattan and Brooklyn many years in a row), since the (L) shutdown will end in July 2020, and those 124 buses (XD40 and LFSA) will still be needed for shuttle service until then.

Edited by JeremiahC99

8 hours ago, Novabus 5000 said:

(1) 5397 was never a JFK bus. 

(2) These were loans, as all 3 buses are back to their respective depots. 

Actually 5397 was on loan to JK. 

627D47AF-52B7-436F-A29C-35008BF0C0E2.jpeg

CS drivers are already trained on the new XD60’s. It’s the same bus save a couple minor spec changes. @danielhg121

Edited by East New York

19 hours ago, Q64 To Forest Hills said:

This was a few weeks ago. Not yesterday. I got 3782 on the q64

Yup, Baisley was short on MCIs one morning. Their orange signed ones aren’t doing good either. The greens are supposed to be straight up reserve buses, but they are always running because the oranges are in the shop. Around a week after another hybrid, I believe 3686 also ran on the QM4. My guy at Baisley said it most likely broke down because of the govern on it 

Seems like that depot is a mess.  A few years ago we had one of their buses and I was NOT pleased to see it. The inside wasn't filthy per se, but the floor had this weird coating over it.  Stayed for maybe a few weeks primarily on the BxM1 and then went back to them, with their stickers on it and all.  I find it quite odd that they only have one express line with two branches and they can't keep up.

20 hours ago, East New York said:

1025, 1026 pending to WF

4950, 5044 FB to UP

5188 GA to UP

5397 JK to BP

7484 JA back to NFI 

7649 to FB

4918, 5064 FB to Scrap 

5082, 5086, 5088, 5098, 5124 retired out of UP

8933, 8994, and 9027 JK to EC pending Scrap.

6543 and 6545 actually haven't left since they were reported. 

Is another bus like that coming back or JA is ready to accept their new batch