MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

On 7/23/2018 at 3:58 PM, JeremiahC99 said:

Again, thanks for the clarification. I am hoping for the hybrids to do really well under tough conditions, such as on high speed routes. The last thing i need to se are buses breaking down mid route on important streets like Utica Avenue due to going too fast.

Another question to ask, but maybe off topic: MTA as a whole has over 1600 hybrids (exactly 1675 hybrids, though some have been prematurely retired). This makes it the largest fleet of hybrids in the United States. Since the 2003 hybrids will be retired, 125 hybrids will have to subtracted from the 1675 hybrid number, leaving 1550 hybrid buses still in service. Will the MTA lose that distinction of having the largest hybrid fleet in the US, or more hybrids be ordered to keep that distinction, which I really enjoy about the MTA fleet? 

Lets break it down like this. Actually the total amount of hybrid buses was 1,676. 3 OG's and 1 NG were scrapped. Dropping the total to 1,672. We now have 10 XDE40's. 2 are on the property, 2 are in Jersey at Atlantic-Detroit Diesel, and the rest are at NFI. This bumps us up to 1,682.

By 2021 we will have taken delivery of 275 more hybrids, and retired 541 older ones for a grand total of 1,416.

However, that brings up another topic because once the preliminary evaluation on the electric and hybrid buses are complete, there will likely be a follow up option order for hybrids. Shortly after that, MTA will then complete the transition into the electric bus range. 

We haven't got into this topic yet, but we will soon. Confirmed Department of Buses plans have actually shifted, and now call for the order of approximately 5,700 all-electric buses between 2019 and 2039. By the end of 2040, MTA will be an all-electric operation.   

On 7/23/2018 at 6:56 PM, limitednyc said:

yes 36 lfs 60's for the m14 sbs

51 xd60's mch for m15 sbs

57  xd60's to fla  for b44 sbs to replace the current 38 lfs  witch will be transfered to man or BX. and either the b46sbs or the b44 lcl  will transition.

23 hours ago, limitednyc said:

when the 88 xd40's and 36 xd60's  can be used in general service

No. Why didn't you check the first page of this thread??

36 LFSA's for the (L)

51 XD60's for Hale (M15+)

57 XD60's for Flatbush (B44+, and B46+ Rush Hours)

UPDATE NOT YET POSTED: 15 alternative fuel artics for the Quill (M14+)

8 hours ago, FLX9304 said:

Is another bus like that coming back or JA is ready to accept their new batch

Yes JA is just about ready to begin delivery. This is what happens with almost every order when there are pilots involved. Nothing new. 7484-7487 could come at anytime, then go back to NFI at anytime until the order is complete.

Edited by East New York

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, East New York said:

Lets break it down like this. Actually the total amount of hybrid buses was 1,676. 3 OG's and 1 NG were scrapped. Dropping the total to 1,672. We now have 10 XDE40's. 2 are on the property, 2 are in Jersey at Atlantic-Detroit Diesel, and the rest are at NFI. This bumps us up to 1,682.

By 2021 we will have taken delivery of 275 more hybrids, and retired 541 older ones for a grand total of 1,416.

However, that brings up another topic because once the preliminary evaluation on the electric and hybrid buses are complete, there will likely be a follow up option order for hybrids. Shortly after that, MTA will then complete the transition into the electric bus range. 

We haven't got into this topic yet, but we will soon. Confirmed Department of Buses plans have actually shifted, and now call for the order of approximately 5,700 all-electric buses between 2019 and 2039. By the end of 2040, MTA will be an all-electric operation.

And since there will be 1416 hybrids by 2021, I'm guessing we'll have to kiss the distinction of having the "largest hybrid fleet in the United States" goodbye? If so, I'll be very disappointed about that. I feel like instead of getting 367 XD40s, they should've gotten 10 hybrids in the previous XD40 order which would be numbered 0001-0010, and tested them for a year. From there, instead of the 367 XD40s, we could've gotten 400 XDE40s (7484-7883 or 7483-7882, depending on if the order was placed before 7483 was delivered after that accident (see below) or after 7483 was delivered). The 400 bus number I came up with was for service expansions (B82 SBS, (L) train shuttle, etc.), but I think that would be too many buses they would take in.

By the way, why did the MTA accept 7483, the original 7120 before its accident in May 2015 en-route to New York, in December 2017? I'm very curious about that.

12 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

And since there will be 1416 hybrids by 2021, I'm guessing we'll have to kiss the distinction of having the "largest hybrid fleet in the United States" goodbye? If so, I'll be very disappointed about that. I feel like instead of getting 367 XD40s, they should've gotten 10 hybrids in the previous XD40 order which would be numbered 0001-0010, and tested them for a year. From there, instead of the 367 XD40s, we could've gotten 400 XDE40s (7484-7883 or 7483-7882, depending on if the order was placed before 7483 was delivered after that accident (see below) or after 7483 was delivered). The 400 bus number I came up with was for service expansions (B82 SBS, (L) train shuttle, etc.), but I think that would be too many buses they would take in.

By the way, why did the MTA accept 7483, the original 7120 before its accident in May 2015 en-route to New York, in December 2017? I'm very curious about that.

What you are saying doesn't make any sense. First off, yes we will lose the "Largest Hybrid Fleet" distinction only to have it replaced by the nations largest electric fleet.

The 10 hybrids are not test buses, so they shouldn't be numbered 00XX anything. MTA didn't want any hybrids for the time being so thats why they were not ordered on the base, and the option was modified to include hybrids. The 10 Electric buses are for testing. The hybrids are first run pilots, and configuration audit buses for the upcoming order of 275.

You save a few thousand pounds of fuel but you end up paying more for the overall cost and maintenance over the life of the buses. new clean-Diesel buses are almost as efficient and cost a lot less. MTA has decided to move toward electric buses which will not need any fossil fuels at all. Thus making the hybrids obsolete after this next order.

As far as 7483, they accepted it because the bus was repairable. Simple as that. No need to write off a bus under warranty.

50 minutes ago, East New York said:

UPDATE NOT YET POSTED: 15 alternative fuel artics for the Quill (M14+)

Yes JA is just about ready to begin delivery. This is what happens with almost every order when there are pilots involved. Nothing new. 7484-7487 could come at anytime, then go back to NFI at anytime until the order is complete.

what company is producing rthe 15 alt atrtics

14 minutes ago, East New York said:

What you are saying doesn't make any sense. First off, yes we will lose the "Largest Hybrid Fleet" distinction only to have it replaced by the nations largest electric fleet.

The 10 hybrids are not test buses, so they shouldn't be numbered 00XX anything. MTA didn't want any hybrids for the time being so thats why they were not ordered on the base, and the option was modified to include hybrids. The 10 Electric buses are for testing. The hybrids are first run pilots, and configuration audit buses for the upcoming order of 275.

You save a few thousand pounds of fuel but you end up paying more for the overall cost and maintenance over the life of the buses. new clean-Diesel buses are almost as efficient and cost a lot less. MTA has decided to move toward electric buses which will not need any fossil fuels at all. Thus making the hybrids obsolete after this next order.

As far as 7483, they accepted it because the bus was repairable. Simple as that. No need to write off a bus under warranty.

Sorry if I'm not making any sense.

Also, I will be sad at losing the "Largest Hybrid Fleet" distinction, but there are plans for the MTA to have "nations largest electric fleet"in the future? If so, I like that. In fact, they should've done this a long time ago before Los Angeles and everyone else started buying electric buses. For too long, New York was behind the times, while everyone else moved forward with innovations like electric buses. Time for New York to lead the way in public transportation like it should.

I can see why they took in 7483, but I was not expecting them to go to Flatbush. What influenced them to send that bus there?

Just now, limitednyc said:

We don't know, especially since we never had a hybrid arctic bus before, and surprisingly enough, OF is getting 51 DIESEL buses (looks like those diesel haters in Harlem are not objecting to that). But then again, New Flyer is the only qualified manufacturer for alternative fuel articulated buses for the MTA (take a look at their XN60s in the Bronx), so it could go to them. Either way, they need to make haste on these (L) train buses already, especially since the shutdown starts in 8.5 months from now. They don't have a lot of time here.

7 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

Its quite odd the B46 sbs is only going to use artics during rush hour. I understand they might not have lay over space for them but wouldn't it be better to work them into schedule full time? (rhetorically saying and or asking). 

I feel you, but the again, if they were full time, they would need 32 for full B46 SBS service.

Also consider that while the B46 SBS is crowded the whole day, it usually the most crowded during rush hours. In fact, one time, I was on the line during that time and at  Church Avenue, a lot of people got on, and from there to Eastern Parkway, it was so crowded that the bus made only one stop: Empire Blvd. It’s even come to a point that the if the driver did stop between Church Avenue and Eastern Parkway, he did not open the front door. Other times it is crowded, but not packed-like-sardines crowded, so I think that’s why artics will be a rush hours only on the B46 SBS.

15 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

Its quite odd the B46 sbs is only going to use artics during rush hour. I understand they might not have lay over space for them but wouldn't it be better to work them into schedule full time? (rhetorically saying and or asking). 

With the amount that they are going to get there wont be enough standards for the periods outside the rush. 

1 hour ago, limitednyc said:

I know, but it's not confirmed so we will get into that after the summer break. 

1 hour ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Sorry if I'm not making any sense.

Also, I will be sad at losing the "Largest Hybrid Fleet" distinction, but there are plans for the MTA to have "nations largest electric fleet"in the future? If so, I like that. In fact, they should've done this a long time ago before Los Angeles and everyone else started buying electric buses. For too long, New York was behind the times, while everyone else moved forward with innovations like electric buses. Time for New York to lead the way in public transportation like it should.

I can see why they took in 7483, but I was not expecting them to go to Flatbush. What influenced them to send that bus there?

We don't know, especially since we never had a hybrid arctic bus before, and surprisingly enough, OF is getting 51 DIESEL buses (looks like those diesel haters in Harlem are not objecting to that). But then again, New Flyer is the only qualified manufacturer for alternative fuel articulated buses for the MTA (take a look at their XN60s in the Bronx), so it could go to them. Either way, they need to make haste on these (L) train buses already, especially since the shutdown starts in 8.5 months from now. They don't have a lot of time here.

Many don't take into account that NY also has the largest fleet in the nation. True we are quite behind in times, however funding has always been a main issue. The governor historically has not provided enough funding for the system as a whole. The integration of the private bus lines into MTA was also a process that would inevitably slow things down further.

The City of New York provides funding for Bus Company Division, whereas the State of New York provides funding for NYC Transit. After the 2 merged operations, NYCT was able to start funding Bus company projects and co-fund joint ventures as well. Now that Cuomo has gotten involved he's forcing things to move forward like the purchase of hybrid, and all electric buses. I think the City of New York needs to become more involved in the funding and operations of MTA Subways and Buses.

It's either 51 diesel buses or no buses at all for Harlem. There isn't an issue. These are the only artics we have for now, they are of new EPA standards. When we do finally get some they will be going to Quill anyway. I expect a follow up order in 2022. We are most likely done buying diesel buses for a while after the express, and bus company orders.

There will also be LFS buses used for the (L) shuttle. 

32 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

It doesn't say rush hour "only."

There are only enough buses for mixed standard/artic ops, but the buses will end up running all times. The focus is relief at rush periods.

Looking at the first page the M14 sbs is supposed to get the alternative fueled artics but it says it won’t arrive until 2020-2021 delivery. The press release docs says the M14 sbs will be temporary and the L train shutdown will be done or should be by 2020. So why are the setting aside buses for the M14 if it’s just temporary? 

40 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

Looking at the first page the M14 sbs is supposed to get the alternative fueled artics but it says it won’t arrive until 2020-2021 delivery. The press release docs says the M14 sbs will be temporary and the L train shutdown will be done or should be by 2020. So why are the setting aside buses for the M14 if it’s just temporary? 

The same reason they are setting aside 200 buses for the temporary L shuttle. The M14+ is nothing more than a 14th Street L train shuttle.

The original delivery called for 2020 with all in service by 2021. I already mentioned all Artic orders are being accelerated. The soonest they would go into production is next spring/summer. So theoretically they could be here in time on a revised schedule. The schedule is still as posted because that’s the official schedule as of now because the buses have not been ordered. Delivery will likely change to late 2019. 

The shutdown is scheduled to last 15 months. That’s spring pick 2019 through summer pick 2020. So if MTA schedules an award in the next 60 days as planned we should be ok. Seeing as how we like to reject everything we get. We can only wait and see what happenes.

5 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Im somewhat confused. Since the MTA is going to be 100% Electric now, I'm guessing the CNG fleet is affected as well. After the C40LFs retire, no more CNG buses?

I recalled from an article late last year when we first got the electric buses they were looking into cng buses for clean air tech buses. We can’t be sure right now but the MTA are looking to be one of the cleanest bus fleet. Along with other cities. I wouldn’t write CNG out. 

11 hours ago, East New York said:

I know, but it's not confirmed so we will get into that after the summer break. 

Many don't take into account that NY also has the largest fleet in the nation. True we are quite behind in times, however funding has always been a main issue. The governor historically has not provided enough funding for the system as a whole. The integration of the private bus lines into MTA was also a process that would inevitably slow things down further.

The City of New York provides funding for Bus Company Division, whereas the State of New York provides funding for NYC Transit. After the 2 merged operations, NYCT was able to start funding Bus company projects and co-fund joint ventures as well. Now that Cuomo has gotten involved he's forcing things to move forward like the purchase of hybrid, and all electric buses. I think the City of New York needs to become more involved in the funding and operations of MTA Subways and Buses.

It's either 51 diesel buses or no buses at all for Harlem. There isn't an issue. These are the only artics we have for now, they are of new EPA standards. When we do finally get some they will be going to Quill anyway. I expect a follow up order in 2022. We are most likely done buying diesel buses for a while after the express, and bus company orders.

There will also be LFS buses used for the (L) shuttle. 

It doesn't say rush hour "only."

There are only enough buses for mixed standard/artic ops, but the buses will end up running all times. The focus is relief at rush periods.

Blame Cuomo for the funding problem. According to some sources, he has diverted millions of dollars from the MTA's budget and the result is a transit system in a state of emergency. I like how you said that MTA NYCT can fund Bus Company projects and co-fund joint ventures, but is there a clause saying that Bus Company can lease NYCT buses if they need to, like how they leased 48 buses from NYCT's Tuskegee Airmen Depot and Grand Avenue Depots for accelerated implementation of the Q52 and Q53 SBS.

For the (L) shuttle, are you referring to the LFS 40 foot buses or the LFSA Artic buses, because when I checked the front page, it said 36 LFSA buses are for the (L) shuttle?

I'll be surprised if they schedule the route so that every 2 or 3 buses that shows up, there will be an artic bus. If so, ring my doorbell at 6:30 AM. I hope to find one at that time.

With the whole non-diesel bus orders, I wonder why the MTA still isn't looking into Nova, they're CNG buses are great and have already been out for a couple of years. Same for the HEV, it's been out longer but they still haven't even gotten a demo for these buses. The fact that they've gotten every fuel type for the Xcelsior and still are only at diesel for the Nova's concerns me for the long run. The Last thing the MTA needs is an exclusive fleet from one brand. 

On 7/24/2018 at 7:25 PM, East New York said:

And people called me crazy and said it isn't possible. Also, I've read that Proterra was leading the charge (lol) towards universal charging stations.

22 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Im somewhat confused. Since the MTA is going to be 100% Electric now, I'm guessing the CNG fleet is affected as well. After the C40LFs retire, no more CNG buses?

What exactly are you confused about? 100% electric by 2040 is the plan. Theoretically they can still make one more CNG order for 2024 delivery and then replace all those by 2040.

17 hours ago, Brillant93 said:

I recalled from an article late last year when we first got the electric buses they were looking into cng buses for clean air tech buses. We can’t be sure right now but the MTA are looking to be one of the cleanest bus fleet. Along with other cities. I wouldn’t write CNG out. 

They were talking about CNG artics, which we are currently taking delivery of. There will not be another need for CNG buses until 2024 unless MTA opts for more artics. Im not writing them off but of another order isn't place by 2023, then we won't be getting any. 100% electric means just that.

14 hours ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Blame Cuomo for the funding problem. According to some sources, he has diverted millions of dollars from the MTA's budget and the result is a transit system in a state of emergency. I like how you said that MTA NYCT can fund Bus Company projects and co-fund joint ventures, but is there a clause saying that Bus Company can lease NYCT buses if they need to, like how they leased 48 buses from NYCT's Tuskegee Airmen Depot and Grand Avenue Depots for accelerated implementation of the Q52 and Q53 SBS.

For the (L) shuttle, are you referring to the LFS 40 foot buses or the LFSA Artic buses, because when I checked the front page, it said 36 LFSA buses are for the (L) shuttle?

I'll be surprised if they schedule the route so that every 2 or 3 buses that shows up, there will be an artic bus. If so, ring my doorbell at 6:30 AM. I hope to find one at that time.

It's not Cuomo's fault for a decades old problem. He's shuffled more money to MTA than has been done in the past so we can't really complain about that. There are a few things i think he could do better, but he's not doing that bad of a job.

9 hours ago, BreeddekalbL said:

I have a question regarding the proterras, when they run on a route not near a charging station (off the b32 or the b60) how do they get recharged

The Proterra en-route chargers have been decommissioned because they aren't needed, and frankly were a waste of money. The range on the Proterra is excellent to the point where only the depot chargers are needed. As of now the Proterras can run on any line out of Grand Av. Yesterday they ran on the B24, B32, B38, and Q59. 

3 hours ago, IAlam said:

With the whole non-diesel bus orders, I wonder why the MTA still isn't looking into Nova, they're CNG buses are great and have already been out for a couple of years. Same for the HEV, it's been out longer but they still haven't even gotten a demo for these buses. The fact that they've gotten every fuel type for the Xcelsior and still are only at diesel for the Nova's concerns me for the long run. The Last thing the MTA needs is an exclusive fleet from one brand. 

We had a discussion about this during the last CNG procurement. MTA's final evaluation concluded that Nova did not have enough technical experience in building CNG buses as they only had 2 in service at the time. In addition, the LFS didn't exactly fit into the new maintenance logistics either. Less training is required because the buses are operationally and mechanically similar to the C40LF as we have the only 3rd gen C40's ever made. This would also mean that Brooklyn would have to stock LFS parts, and Gleason would have too many parts to stock and different maintenance protocols with the incoming XN60's. The price point was a bit too high, and the delivery schedule wasn't attractive to the MTA for them to be considered as well. Same with the hybrid, and the Nova LFS Electric.

And we haven't got every fuel type for the Xcelsior. There is still XHE40 and XHE60 models which New Flyer would love for MTA to further evaluate.

3 hours ago, LTA1992 said:

And people called me crazy and said it isn't possible. Also, I've read that Proterra was leading the charge (lol) towards universal charging stations.

Proterra is looking into lots of innovations as more and more agencies begin to evaluate and purchase electric vehicles.

10 hours ago, East New York said:

What exactly are you confused about? 100% electric by 2040 is the plan. Theoretically they can still make one more CNG order for 2024 delivery and then replace all those by 2040.

So how are going to covert a depot from CNG-compatible to not-CNG compatible?

It's not Cuomo's fault for a decades old problem. He's shuffled more money to MTA than has been done in the past so we can't really complain about that. There are a few things i think he could do better, but he's not doing that bad of a job.

Didn't the whole money shuffling to the MTA start with Rudy Guiliani and George Pataki?

The Proterra en-route chargers have been decommissioned because they aren't needed, and frankly were a waste of money. The range on the Proterra is excellent to the point where only the depot chargers are needed. As of now the Proterras can run on any line out of Grand Av. Yesterday they ran on the B24, B32, B38, and Q59. 

I also looked up the specs of the Proterra 40 foot buses, and the E2 model (I believe that's the model the MTA has now. Correct me if I'm wrong) has a driving range of 305 miles. Why did they order the chargers without considering that? Did they think that these buses were taking 20 round trips non stop on the Q59? Also, do those Proterra Chargers work with the New Flyer XE40 buses or are they limited to just Proterra Buses.

We had a discussion about this during the last CNG procurement. MTA's final evaluation concluded that Nova did not have enough technical experience in building CNG buses as they only had 2 in service at the time. In addition, the LFS didn't exactly fit into the new maintenance logistics either. Less training is required because the buses are operationally and mechanically similar to the C40LF as we have the only 3rd gen C40's ever made. This would also mean that Brooklyn would have to stock LFS parts, and Gleason would have too many parts to stock and different maintenance protocols with the incoming XN60's. The price point was a bit too high, and the delivery schedule wasn't attractive to the MTA for them to be considered as well. Same with the hybrid, and the Nova LFS Electric.

And we haven't got every fuel type for the Xcelsior. There is still XHE40 and XHE60 models which New Flyer would love for MTA to further evaluate.

Looks like for MTA bus purchases and deliveries time if of the essence and every penny counts. So is the delivery schedule of Nova the reason why OF and OH got or are getting XD60s instead of LFSAs like the rest of Manhattan and the Bronx?

Proterra is looking into lots of innovations as more and more agencies begin to evaluate and purchase electric vehicles.

Hopefully the next vehicle the MTA gets from them is the E2 Max. They have a driving range of 426 miles according to the spec sheet on their website. Also, I hope they can increase their driving range beyond 426 miles when they come up with a new bus.

Why do I get the feeling that everything that’s already been explained is being explained over and over again. Let those moves and everything associated with the deliveries work it self out. 

I know we all want clarification on everything. However, let @East New York, @The Real, @SevenEleven Get all the information possible. 

#####Fin.  Carry on. 

2 hours ago, JeremiahC99 said:

I also looked up the specs of the Proterra 40 foot buses, and the E2 model (I believe that's the model the MTA has now. Correct me if I'm wrong) has a driving range of 305 miles. Why did they order the chargers without considering that? Did they think that these buses were taking 20 round trips non stop on the Q59? Also, do those Proterra Chargers work with the New Flyer XE40 buses or are they limited to just Proterra Buses.

Ours don't even hit 305 miles.....ours is 140 or so miles on a single charge.