MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

2 hours ago, B22viaAtlanticAv said:

I checked the spec sheet for the Proterra Catalyst 40 foot bus  and the specs say that the nominal driving range for the E2 is 305 miles or 251 miles with the ProDrive DriveTrain. Yet @Cait Sith told me that our buses have a 140 mile range (which is for the XR series buses)? Did the spec sheet change since the buses went into service, or is there something wrong? Lets hope @East New York has answers to this.

Edited by JeremiahC99

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

I checked the spec sheet for the Proterra Catalyst 40 foot bus  and the specs say that the nominal driving range for the E2 is 305 miles or 251 miles with the ProDrive DriveTrain. Yet @Cait Sith told me that our buses have a 140 mile range? Did the spec sheet change since the buses went into service, or is there something wrong? Lets hope @East New York has answers to this.

You do understand that TAs can spec buses differently, right? We have the same model, at a lower range.

Edited by Cait Sith

2 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

I thought that'd be common sense by now since every TA has different spec'd buses.....

Oh. I was hoping for the Proterras and New Flyer Electrics to have a 300-mile driving range. With that range, I could image these buses doing 100 round-trips on the Q59 in a row, then another 100 round trips on the B60 with only a 3 minute layover between each trip, all in a single day, thus preventing it from doing a charge at Williamsburg Bridge Plaza. Wouldn't that be exciting?

3 hours ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Oh. I was hoping for the Proterras and New Flyer Electrics to have a 300-mile driving range. With that range, I could image these buses doing 100 round-trips on the Q59 in a row, then another 100 round trips on the B60 with only a 3 minute layover between each trip, all in a single day, thus preventing it from doing a charge at Williamsburg Bridge Plaza. Wouldn't that be exciting?

Except no bus driver does that many trips on one route in any country of existence...

24 minutes ago, Calvin said:

7364, 7365 returned to Flatbush 

That’s a twist.  Will the rest of those 10 buses follow suit for a possible return back to the Bush?  My other guess will be is that FB may send those to Ulmer Park or FB may keep since they are scrapping RTS.

UP already has 7346-7355. 7356-7365 would give UP the other 10 buses since they are scrapping RTS left and right. 

On 7/26/2018 at 12:19 AM, East New York said:

The Proterra en-route chargers have been decommissioned because they aren't needed, and frankly were a waste of money. The range on the Proterra is excellent to the point where only the depot chargers are needed. As of now the Proterras can run on any line out of Grand Av. Yesterday they ran on the B24, B32, B38, and Q59.

Oh wow when did they decommission them?

i guess the same would apply for the ones in manhattan?

8 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

That’s a twist.  Will the rest of those 10 buses follow suit for a possible return back to the Bush?  My other guess will be is that FB may send those to Ulmer Park or FB may keep since they are scrapping RTS.

UP already has 7346-7355. 7356-7365 would give UP the other 10 buses since they are scrapping RTS left and right. 

Not if the veteran drivers at Flatbush say something about that.

In addition, I think that 7356-7365 could go to UP, as you said. Another way I see it is that Flatbush giving up some XD40s would be temporary. From Fleet & Depots thread, the assignments for the last 96 2018-19 XD40s (8 at Gleason, 88 at TBA depot, most likely Grand Avenue due to leasing of parking lot at Metropolitan Avenue giving it away) are temporarily for the (L) train shuttle buses from 2019-2020, and will eventually be reassigned, so I can guess that once this (L) train shutdown is over in July 2020, we could see 30 buses at UP, and the other 66 would be transferred to other Brooklyn and Manhattan Depots. The 73xx buses at UP would then go back to FB. The assignments for ALL XD40s after 2014 could go as follows (sorry if I veer off topic:

• 2014-2015 XD40s
    • 7090-7139 (50): East New York
    • 7140-7192 (53): Ulmer Park
    • 7193-7254 (62): Grand Avenue
    • 7255-7303 (49): Fresh Pond
    • 7304-7365 (62): Flatbush
    • 7366-7429, 7431-7437 (71; 7430 written off): Casey Stengel
    • 7438-7441, 7443-7482 (44; 7442 written off): LaGuardia
    • 7483 (1): Flatbush
  • 2017-2019 XD40s
    • 7484-7544 (61): Jamaica
    • 7545-7587 (43): Quill
    • 7588-7607 (20): Fresh Pond
    • 7608-7615 (8): Grand Avenue
    • 7616-7663 (48): Flatbush
    • 7664-7702 (39): East New York
    • 7703-7714 (12): Grand Avenue
    • 7715-7784 (70): Ulmer Park
    • 7785-7850 (66): Depots TBA.
    • 7851-7875 (25): MTA Bus Company depots.

This is how I see would see it fit, and since Flatbush Depot is getting 57 XD60s (19 left over for B46 SBS) and East New York would be receiving around 20 XD60s by the time the (L) shuttle is over, all RTS buses can be retired by their promised 2020 deadline, and the XD40s from 2014-15 will be at their original assignments once again.

Edited by JeremiahC99

3 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Not if the veteran drivers at Flatbush say something about that.

In addition, I think that 7356-7365 could go to UP, as you said. Another way I see it is that Flatbush giving up some XD40s would be temporary. From Fleet & Depots thread, the assignments for the last 96 XD40s (8 at Gleason, 88 at TBA depot, most likely Grand Avenue due to leasing of parking lot at Metropolitan Avenue giving it away) are temporarily for the (L) train shuttle buses from 2019-2020, and will eventually be reassigned, so I can guess that once this (L) train shutdown is over in July 2020, we could see 30 buses at UP, and the other 66 would be transferred to other Brooklyn and Manhattan Depots. The 73xx buses at UP would then go back to FB. The assignments for ALL XD40s after 2014 could go as follows (sorry if I veer off topic:

• 2014-2015 XD40s
    • 7090-7139 (50): East New York
    • 7140-7192 (53): Ulmer Park
    • 7193-7254 (62): Grand Avenue
    • 7255-7303 (49): Fresh Pond
    • 7304-7365 (62): Flatbush
    • 7366-7429, 7431-7437 (71; 7430 written off): Casey Stengel
    • 7438-7441, 7443-7482 (44; 7442 written off): LaGuardia
    • 7483 (1): Flatbush
  • 2017-2019 XD40s
    • 7484-7544 (61): Jamaica
    • 7545-7587 (43): Quill
    • 7588-7607 (20): Fresh Pond
    • 7608-7615 (8): Grand Avenue
    • 7616-7663 (48): Flatbush
    • 7664-7702 (39): East New York
    • 7703-7714 (12): Grand Avenue
    • 7715-7784 (70): Ulmer Park
    • 7785-7850 (66): Depots TBA.
    • 7851-7875 (25): MTA Bus Company depots.

This is how I see would see it fit, and since Flatbush Depot is getting 57 XD60s (19 left over for B46 SBS) and East New York would be receiving around 20 XD60s by the time the (L) shuttle is over, all RTS buses can be retired by their promised 2020 deadline, and the XD40s from 2014-2015 will be at their original assignments once again.

Things can change at any given time so let's not get carried away. Let's just be patient and wait for things to progress.

55 minutes ago, NewFlyerFan said:

Apologies if this question was already asked/answered but do we at all know when 7484 might possibly return back to MTA from NFI?

With pilot buses you can never be sure. They can come, and go depending on spec changes or anything else TA may require as part of validation testing and audit. 

In the case of 7484 however, as of a few minutes ago it arrived at the NFI JFK service center and will be transferred back to JA along with 7485 in short order.  

25 minutes ago, East New York said:

In the case of 7484 however, as of a few minutes ago it arrived at the NFI JFK service center and will be transferred back to JA along with 7485 in short order. 

I hope you don't mind me asking this, but this New Flyer service center in JFK Airport: isn't it at Building 141 (at 130th Place and Bergen Road), where Northeastern Bus Rebuilders JFK facilityis located at, and every new bus has to stop there before going to the assigned depots?

1 minute ago, JeremiahC99 said:

I hope you don't mind me asking this, but this New Flyer service center in JFK Airport: isn't it at Building 141 (at 130th Place and Bergen Road), where Northeastern Bus Rebuilders JFK facilityis located at, and every new bus has to stop there before going to the assigned depots?

Yes it is

4 minutes ago, LegoBrickBreaker101 said:

Zerega is for the Novas and Prevosts, the JFK facility is for the New Flyers and Orions.

But at both locations, how do all of the new bus registrations work?

And also, where did the Proterra BE40 Catalyst E2 buses go before going to Grand Avenue for service? JFK or Zerega?

Edited by JeremiahC99

10 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Yes, that is the location and please note that it is a restricted area. This is the New Flyer Service center for MTA, so and NFI, or Orion buses going to and from the vendors will make a stop through there. The JFK lot which is near is where all new buses arrive, and all buses going to an out of city to the vendor are picked up.

3 minutes ago, LegoBrickBreaker101 said:

Zerega is for the Novas and Prevosts, the JFK facility is for the New Flyers and Orions.

No, Zerega is a base shop for ALL buses. Not a service center. The Nova/Prevost service center is in Jersey. Thats where those buses go in and out of. 

Proterra does not have a service center as these buses are test vehicles and they do not have a contract with MTA beyond just that.. They go to and from Proterra directly.

Registration used to be done at Zerega for all buses, and to a certain extent still is. However after the delivery of the BTE 90 test fleets things changed. Buses can now arrive and go straight to a depot. Tep tags are placed on the bus and after Zerega completes registration, plates are sent directly to the depots. 

Just now, East New York said:

Yes, that is the location and please note that it is a restricted area. This is the New Flyer Service center for MTA, so and NFI, or Orion buses going to and from the vendors will make a stop through there. The JFK lot which is near is where all new buses arrive, and all buses going to an out of city to the vendor are picked up.

Thanks for letting me know. Also to note that I do not intend to visit the service center at JFK Airport to see the new buses. Rather, I will do what everyone else does and wait for these buses to enter service in the city, like I did when waiting for the new XD40s to enter service on the B46 SBS (which I really like. Thanks for giving us those buses)

3 minutes ago, East New York said:

No, Zerega is a base shop for ALL buses. Not a service center. The Nova/Prevost service center is in Jersey. Thats where those buses go in and out of. 

Proterra does not have a service center as these buses are test vehicles and they do not have a contract with MTA beyond just that.. They go to and from Proterra directly.

Registration used to be done at Zerega for all buses, and to a certain extent still is. However after the delivery of the BTE 90 test fleets things changed. Buses can now arrive and go straight to a depot. Tep tags are placed on the bus and after Zerega completes registration, plates are sent directly to the depots. 

So for all new buses coming in starting this year, they can go straight from the manufacturer to the assigned depot and have the tep tags (what are these tep tags for anyway) installed, and they are automatically registered into the MTA Bus fleet? They no longer have to stop at JFK Airport or Zerega Facility or the Nova service center unless its for modifications to the buses? And what are these plates Zerega sends to the depots?

On 7/27/2018 at 12:35 AM, Jdog14 said:

Except no bus driver does that many trips on one route in any country of existence...

Please explain to me what that has to do with anything.

Because in my eyes, the less time buses spend going to/from and in depots equates to more reliable service without the need to actually have more buses than already exist.

Bus operators don't exactly NEED to drive back to the depot every time their time is over, you know.

Edited by LTA1992

Not sure if this belongs in Random Thoughts or here, but I might get a better answer here.

Why are some of the new ENY Xcelsiors getting the "New York City Bus" decal? Is that ENY placing on decals or are they being delivered with that on there?