MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

On 10/6/2018 at 8:44 AM, MHV184 said:

Ok so it's not confirmed that Manhattanville might receive these displaced NG's from Bronx and Staten Island things might change throughout the coming months.

Yes it is confirmed. I however think MV could have borrowed a few new XD40's, but replacing them with NG's is best for now. Some of the GenII OG's are going to Bus Co. anyway.

On 10/6/2018 at 1:55 PM, Future ENY OP said:

Ulmer Park and East New York are the only 2 depots in the Brooklyn Division that don’t want any NG’s in their depot. Looks like that’s gonna change at least for Ulmer Park. When they always run short of buses Flatbush and Fresh Pond are lending their NG’s to Ulmer Park. 

It’s about time that Ulmer Park get on board with the NG’s. 

They don't want any and won't be getting any. They will take NG's from EN and fight tooth and nail before they take NG's. Why would it change for UP now?? They don't need any.

On 10/6/2018 at 11:38 AM, King Transit said:

I don't live in Staten Island , but my concern with Castleton is that they drive their buses to the ground like the MTA ordered toy buses. I was suggesting to not give them these cuomofied LFS'(40fts)

Yeah, It doesn't work like that. Staten Island has the highest average speed of all the boroughs which means the buses have to be maintained on a different schedule than all the other buses. MTA wants all the series hybrids out of Staten Island, and have for quite some time now. 

23 hours ago, trife86 said:

Anyone know what the changes in the 2018/19 Nova will be compared to the currently running 15/16s

There are quite a few differences. In addition to what was mentioned above the cameras, a few components and options, destination signs, and seating configuration IIRC.

22 hours ago, Ultimategamer12c said:

And speaking of Which sinse more XDE40s will come for next next year I heard FP will get the orders of XDE40s  which should push out all old gens and maybe next gens too and FLat Bush on the other is getting XD60s so the lfses should be gone I dont know if they would want more Next gens but I will have to see

Yes FP will get hybrids, and Grand is getting artics.

2 hours ago, R179 8258 said:

So ENY maybe getting NGs ???? As well at Ulmer Park ???

Why would EN and UP be getting hybrids? No one ever said that so I don't know why it's even a topic. Neither of those depots want them and they will never be assigned on any basis other than temporary anyway even if they did have some. Both depots would rather have RTS. EN doesn't even want the hybrids they have now, they want 9500's.

East New York and Ulmer are getting brand new XD40's anyway. The depot assignments haven't changed.... 

1 minute ago, T J Trainman said:

Ulmer Park can’t have hybrids until the depot gets battery chargers for the hybrids first. 

They aren't battery chargers. Only electric buses have battery chargers.

The hybrids need to be maintained with battery conditioners. They can actually go to any depot in the system, including CNG depots. All they have to do is go to a CFM like East New York which currently has NG's and OG's from every borough and bus company in the shop right now.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, East New York said:

Yes it is confirmed. I however think MV could have borrowed a few new XD40's, but replacing them with NG's is best for now. Some of the GenII OG's are going to Bus Co. anyway.

They don't want any and won't be getting any. They will take NG's from EN and fight tooth and nail before they take NG's. Why would it change for UP now?? They don't need any.

Yeah, It doesn't work like that. Staten Island has the highest average speed of all the boroughs which means the buses have to be maintained on a different schedule than all the other buses. MTA wants all the series hybrids out of Staten Island, and have for quite some time now. 

There are quite a few differences. In addition to what was mentioned above the cameras, a few components and options, destination signs, and seating configuration IIRC.

Yes FP will get hybrids, and Grand is getting artics.

Why would EN and UP be getting hybrids? No one ever said that so I don't know why it's even a topic. Neither of those depots want them and they will never be assigned on any basis other than temporary anyway even if they did have some. Both depots would rather have RTS. EN doesn't even want the hybrids they have now, they want 9500's.

East New York and Ulmer are getting brand new XD40's anyway. The depot assignments haven't changed.... 

They aren't battery chargers. Only electric buses have battery chargers.

The hybrids need to be maintained with battery conditioners. They can actually go to any depot in the system, including CNG depots. All they have to do is go to a CFM like East New York which currently has NG's and OG's from every borough and bus company in the shop right now.

Do you believe some of the NG's from Staten Island or Bronx might get transferred to MV these upcoming months since MV is short on busses at the moment? 

45 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Just want to remind a few folks: Many moons ago Ulmer Park had the 70xx series NG's. So Ulmer Park is capable of having NG's in their garage.

Like I indicated yesterday in a previous post Ulmer Park in the Brooklyn Division has a say to which buses enter their garage. 

The Department of Buses (DOB) has the overall say and may put a bait and switch and have Ulmer Park receive NG's from the Bronx and or Staten Island. The other issue I have is through observations that when Ulmer Park runs short of buses they get Flatbush NG's and Fresh Pond NG's and a bus from Gleason to make service.

I say Ulmer Park before East New York. The last time I saw East New York utlize a NG was 4596 and 4598 went to ENY for a brief stint back in the day.

The 70xx are diesel not hybrids 

6 minutes ago, MHV184 said:

Do you believe some of the NG's from Staten Island or Bronx might get transferred to MV these upcoming months since MV is short on busses at the moment? 

I think I've said that like 3 times now including in the post you just quoted.... lol

2 minutes ago, Just New York said:

The 70xx are diesel not hybrids 

To add on to this, they are also not NG's. lol

1 minute ago, limitednyc said:

when is the the first page going to be updated with the revised  xd40  assignements  and with the nova assignedments.

Ok..... Im going to need for you all to start going back and reading before you just jump in and post. I'm saying the same things over and over. 

3 minutes ago, East New York said:

I think I've said that like 3 times now including in the post you just quoted.... lol

To add on to this, they are also not NG's. lol

Ok..... Im going to need for you all to start going back and reading before you just jump in and post. I'm saying the same things over and over. 

are u saying u are still waiting for the the xd40's revisions to be finalized ? if so i'm sorry.

13 minutes ago, limitednyc said:

are u saying u are still waiting for the the xd40's revisions to be finalized ? if so i'm sorry.

Yes. As of right now the depot assignments are the same, we are just waiting on the revised fleet numbers for each depot. The first page will be updated before the end of the day. I'm going to leave the XD60 assignments temporary until Bus Co.'s batch comes in, at which time I will start changing the assignments back to what they should be.

I am also being told 6126-6129 will also serve as the pilots for said batch. Currently awaiting confirmation.

1 hour ago, Future ENY OP said:

Just want to remind a few folks: Many moons ago Ulmer Park had the 70xx series NG's. So Ulmer Park is capable of having NG's in their garage.

Like I indicated yesterday in a previous post Ulmer Park in the Brooklyn Division has a say to which buses enter their garage. 

The Department of Buses (DOB) has the overall say and may put a bait and switch and have Ulmer Park receive NG's from the Bronx and or Staten Island. The other issue I have is through observations that when Ulmer Park runs short of buses they get Flatbush NG's and Fresh Pond NG's and a bus from Gleason to make service.

I say Ulmer Park before East New York. The last time I saw East New York utlize a NG was 4596 and 4598 went to ENY for a brief stint back in the day.

One problem with your statement.

The 7000s are not hybrids, nor are they NGs. They are straight diesel buses, hence why they got them at first.

Good evening everyone. The first page has received it first full update in about 6-7 months. Please take time and review it from top to bottom as almost everything has changed, and new information has been added. It is not complete just yet, and have to new things that I want to add in and discuss. Sometime this month or next I will start an official thread on the pending (L)  Train Shuttle service. 

After that, I will be starting a thread on the Jamaica Terminal reconstruction project. Slightly behind schedule, the final design is planned for completion in the fall of 2019, with construction and relocation to temporary bus stops to begin in October of 2019. MTA plans for the construction to be complete by may 2020, with operations fully restored to the new terminal for Summer pick.

In the meanwhile, it's time for the fall DOB review.

In progress/pending deliveries:

LFS - QV,and YU are up first for delivery beginning in February.

LFSA - GH is pending delivery immediately.

XD40 - Delivery to UP, MQ, and 1 unit to JG for training and qualification are up next.

XDE40 - Last Allison unit (9504) said to be an audit bus. BAE unit 9505 was delayed for delivery to GA more than once now. Hybrid evaluation is scheduled to be complete, with production models beginning production in exactly 1 year. This means BAE has some immediate catching up to do. With buses now scheduled for delivery this week, the competition may finally begin.

XD60 - It is now time for the next wave of Xcelsior artics to come rolling in. Fleet assignments are now pending for FB and OF depots. In the interim, Flatbush and Hale will be getting units for training and qualification. Flatbush will be converting to an all XD60 fleet. Hale will still have 10 older artic buses, and it is unclear if they if Nova's will remain. It makes sense for them to transfer 10 4700 series buses to Hale, and send the remaining LFSA's to the Bronx. The Bus Company lot will begin deliver soon as well, and loaned buses will transfer back to Transit. At that time, we will go back over the original  base XD60 assignments, and discuss the implementation of artics at EN, and the B82+ conversion. For information about the progress and status, please see the first page of this thread.

Grand Avenue depot will keep 1 artic on hand for training, and qualification, pending the new crosstown SBS, and possible artic runs on the L train shuttle as they will have buses newly available from Bus Company.

XN60 - Delivery to both JG and WF will continue through December. JG has begun a rotation of loaned of buses back to The Bronx, which will continue this week. All of JG's batch buses should be in by the end of next month.

*Next up on the list is electric bus status. For the most part, MTA has approved both test models with the acception of the Proterra Deceleration (brake) tests.  In order for a bus to be fully qualified under the New Bus Evaluation program, the manufacturer has to successfully demonstrate that all parameters have been passed, and the bus is either ready to go, or will be ready to go by the time MTA would like to introduce it into service. As the initial part of the evaluation is over, MTA has to now decide if they want to split the order for 45 standard buses, or award to a sole manufacturer. Due to the current satisfaction levels, I see a split award with options on the horizon. This however has yet to be determined. 

As we move into phase 2 of this evaluation, current plans call for MTA to continue extensive evaluation of the buses, while drafting up the final specifications for the production order. At this time it is unclear if the evaluation will be extended in light of a new Proterra demo, and additional decel testing. The timeline calls for the first production buses to begin rolling off the line in just over 8 months now in June of 2019. 

*The quite some time there was a lot of speculation on what the next order of articulated buses would be. Would they be hybrid? Would they be electric? Could it be both? It's still somewhat unclear, but I was able to confirm electric buses for the time being. 

As of right now, the design and specifications for the buses are underway. Final design is said to be complete by January 2019. ruray Award planed by February with production to begin immediately. There will likely be 4-5 pilots, with an accelerated delivery schedule. According to my sources the buses will be XE60's, and delivery is scheduled for all 15 buses by January 2020. This means the buses will not be available at the start of the M14SBS and (L) train shuttles. Originally MTA planned on having hybrids as an order of XDE60's to be tacked on to the artic option order in a similar fashion to how the XDE40's came to be.  10 of which were converted to hybrid options over diesel. More details coming soon.

Express Bus Update: MTA is now in the evaluation process for the next orders of express buses. These will be the last diesel express buses ordered, and has been a very stiff competition that will come down to overall usability. I am told we will in fact order up to 37 Double Decker buses according to the current plans. It aslo appears that we can expect D45 CRT's in the near future as well. The next order is still up in the air, and could go either way. MTA is currently reviewing proposals from Alexander-Dennis, MCI, and Prevost. The final decision os expected by April 2019, with pilot delivery by next fall.

As always, any and everything is subject to change without notice. 

Later on today I will also be starting Borough redesign threads to address everyone's concerns, opinions, and ideas for the future of NYC Buses.

Edited by East New York

On 10/8/2018 at 1:21 AM, East New York said:

Good evening everyone. The first page has received it first full update in about 6-7 months. Please take time and review it from top to bottom as almost everything has changed, and new information has been added. It is not complete just yet, and have to new things that I want to add in and discuss. Sometime this month or next I will start an official thread on the pending (L)  Train Shuttle service. 

After that, I will be starting a thread on the Jamaica Terminal reconstruction project. 

Really? I wonder what design they came up with this time.

Edited by East New York

On 10/6/2018 at 1:25 PM, The TransitMan said:

YEP! Looks like they are replacing those NGs on the S79 SBS. About time!

So no Manhattanville, COULD mean that the Novas will bump NGs at Gun Hill and Kingsbridge to Manhattanville.

If my math is correct the Bronx would have about 55 NG left, Do those also get swapped out should be interesting.

Edited by Just New York

1 hour ago, Future ENY OP said:

Why haven’t they change the fleet numbers. Delivery to Gun Hill is expected to begin soon. 

Give it time. 104-109 are all unassigned IIRC and 5531+ aren't on property(?), or at least they aren't assigned anywhere yet so it's not a huge problem yet

54 minutes ago, Orion6025 said:

7529, 7523 at GA.

This brings their total up to 8 fresh XD40s: 7520-7523, 7525, 7528-7530

Umm I'm so confuse rn with the XD40 orders aren't those topose to be FP units ? That means FP would either get 7500 -7507 from JA instead of getting 7540 -7547 cause I'm guessing it will 7520-7539 for GA  but anyone can correct me if I'm wrong 

3 minutes ago, Ultimategamer12c said:

Umm I'm so confuse rn with the XD40 orders aren't those topose to be FP units ? That means FP would either get 7500 -7507 from JA instead of getting 7540 -7547 cause I'm guessing it will 7520-7539 for GA  but anyone can correct me if I'm wrong 

I noticed that Quills order has been giving to I believe JA since they have a bus that belongs to MQ. Correct me if I'm wrong.

1 hour ago, Ultimategamer12c said:

I have no idea what the heck is going on with what number sets are assigned where, all i do is report what I see assigned where. All I can speculate is 7686-78whatever still haven't been delivered so there's still lots of buses to potentially be delivered straight to grand, the pond, jamaica, or wherever

That's more of an East New York question.

Edited by Orion6025
Clarification

43 minutes ago, Orion6025 said:

I have no idea what the heck is going on with what number sets are assigned where, all i do is report what I see assigned where. All I can speculate is 7686-78 whatever still haven't been delivered so there's still lots of buses to potentially be delivered straight to grand, the pond, jamaica, or wherever

That's more of an East New York question.

7685-7698 if that's what you mean..

On 10/8/2018 at 8:53 PM, Ultimategamer12c said:

With the 2015 order, depots received buses in batches of ten. Buses were purposefully delivered out of numerical order to keep the buses within the assigned number ranges.

It seems this time that they're building them in number order and just assigning buses randomly as they come in in packs of 15-20...

50 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

It’s a wrap. Those 2 buses going to WF won’t be doing SBS work anymore. MCH already slapped ads on those buses. 

Actually.....

5327 is doing a run on the Bx6 sbs at this moment with the wrap on.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain