GMC/TMC/Nova RTS Discussion

East New York

They were the RTS Hybrid demonstrators which wasn't accepted.

9900 was a demo that was never accepted because the hybrid system was not powerful enough for immediate production. 6360 however was not a demo. It was the pilot bus for the 6360-6364 order. However the hybrid system suffered many problems. 6361 was also built but never delivered. The bus saw service with MV for a while before it was ultimately returned to Nova, and the order subsequently cancelled. 6360, and 6361 were scrapped. Why they were not converted to diesels and sold will always be a mystery to me, as they were brand new buses.

• 11 months later...

(Under Construction)

The first RTS appeared on the scene in New York in June of 1979 with 2 RTS-03 buses for the Queens Transit Corporation and the Steinway Transit Corporation, who later merged and became the Queens Surface Corporation. Later on that year Jamaica Buses, Triboro Coach Corporation and the Green Bus Lines, all operated in Queens County, received a combined total of 35 RTS-03 buses. Jamaica and Triboro both received 10 each, while Green Bus received 15. The 15 units purchased by the Green Bus Lines outlived the units purchased by Jamaica and Triboro, with the last unit operating until 2005. In 1980, the Port Authority of New York & New Jersey ordered 33 RTS-03 buses for use at the regions three major airports. These lasted until 1993, when the first production low floor buses replaced them.

For the New York City Transit Authority, the first order of RTS buses did not come until June of 1981. This order, at the time, was considered the largest ever single bus order. 1,163 RTS-04 buses! These buses were actually purchased by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey and then leased for a period of time to the NYCTA and its “cousin” organization, the Manhattan and Bronx Surface Transit Operating Authority (MaBSTOA). With this order came a number of firsts which included the option of a push-open rear door and a set of tell-tale lights; these lights can be found on each side of the front destination sign. This single order was completed in 1982. From 1981 straight through to 1988, the NYCTA had ordered numerous RTS buses: 325 in 1983, 300 in 1984, 419 in 1985, 300 in 1986 and another 300 in 1987-88.

NYCB_GMC_2222.jpg

Click here to see the full article and more photos.

I wish they bought more RTS Hybrids instead of those crap Orion Hybrids. I wonder how the NG's are because I never rode them but I expect them to be just as bad as the OG's or maybe a bit worse. But I think it couldn't have happened then because Nova stopped RTS production and now the RTS bus is not in production anymore.

I noticed that some of the NYCT RTS's are starting to sound like how the old PBL RTS's used to sound, it's interesting.

The entire RTS fleet is now 13 to 15 years old, so naturally the buses are are going to start sounding old because they are.

I wish they bought more RTS Hybrids instead of those crap Orion Hybrids. I wonder how the NG's are because I never rode them but I expect them to be just as bad as the OG's or maybe a bit worse. But I think it couldn't have happened then because Nova stopped RTS production and now the RTS bus is not in production anymore.

The RTS is scheduled to resume production in the first quarter of 2012.

The entire RTS fleet is now 13 to 15 years old, so naturally the buses are are going to start sounding old because they are.

The RTS is scheduled to resume production in the first quarter of 2012.

If it does resume then I wonder what company will it be made by, will it be Low floor and will MTA ever by it? If you know any of this then answer.

• 2 weeks later...
They been removed it but heres something

http://www.ttmg.org/pages/nova/nymta-novab.html

NYCB_Nova_6360h.jpg . NYCB_Nova_6360f.jpg .

I have had the pleasure of riding the electric version of this bus on the M60 back in 2000.It was just hapenstance.I was waiting for my ride to queens and all of a sudden this quiet RTS with a hump on the top pulled up.My eyes lit up!! I rode it over the Triboro bridge (RFK bridge to you new cats) and i havent heard loud sound of any kind.Just a small audible whine sound from the motor.My first and only time riding it.Never seen her again.:)

I have had the pleasure of riding the electric version of this bus on the M60 back in 2000.It was just hapenstance.I was waiting for my ride to queens and all of a sudden this quiet RTS with a hump on the top pulled up.My eyes lit up!! I rode it over the Triboro bridge (RFK bridge to you new cats) and i havent heard loud sound of any kind.Just a small audible whine sound from the motor.My first and only time riding it.Never seen her again.:D

wow must have been a nice enjoyable ride;)

Archived