Got called for T/O

NASCAR

I got a call for the T/O position and my medical is within two weeks.I am a c.t.a and it's not a promotion because I took the outside test a few years back.The medical is 730 a.m. but my regular job starts at 1200-2000 hrs.Should I use an AVA day or notify my command center so they can pay me for the day? Is the medical an all day thing?If I pass the medical,do they tell you if you have the job that day?Can I keep my time(Ava's,Pld,sick days,scheduled vacation etc.) Sorry for so many questions..:eek: Thanx!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I got a call for the T/O position and my medical is within two weeks.I am a c.t.a and it's not a promotion because I took the outside test a few years back.The medical is 730 a.m. but my regular job starts at 1200-2000 hrs.Should I use an AVA day or notify my command center so they can pay me for the day? Is the medical an all day thing?If I pass the medical,do they tell you if you have the job that day?Can I keep my time(Ava's,Pld,sick days,scheduled vacation etc.) Sorry for so many questions..:eek: Thanx!

I need to get familiar with other MTA shortened names. What is a C.T.A? The medical will be all day, and actually you will possibly do a LAB (aka crack and Jack Daniels test) first. They are possibly doing it all on the same day. When I hired as a B/O it was the LAB first, then the following week I did the medical. If you can, take a AVA. My RDOs are Wed/Thur so I don't have a issue. You will lose all of your AVA, and vacation days. All (at least what Kingsbridge union chair said) you take is your sick days. All your other days they will have to compensate you for. For me that would be 7 AVA, 1 personal (I think you just lose that), and my 5 pay vacation days left (actually I took 5 vacation days, and 5 paid). My 37 sick days should transfer over. The only time you keep is NYCTA years on the job, so you don't have to do 25/55 over again. So I take my 2 years 4 months with me. Still I have to do 29 years all together, since I started at 26.

But then again I could be Pelham Bay Dave, and do half a century before I could retire. Thankfully I ain't he ;):D:D:D:D.........

C.T.A. (cleaner transit authority)You can call me a sanitation engineer..LOL I cleaned these filthy train stations for 9 yrs. bro! I'm ready to LEAVE asap.When I took this exam, there were NO promotions for cleaners to RTO. I have 2 AVA's,1 PLD(personal leave day), 1 week vacation starting Sunday June 22nd and 1 week vacation in September.If they give me the job,I'll try to burn those AVA's before class if I can't take them with me.

C.T.A. (cleaner transit authority) I cleaned these filthy train stations for 9 yrs. bro! I'm ready to LEAVE asap.When I took this exam there were NO promotions for cleaners to RTO. I have 2 AVA's,1 PLD, 1 week vacation starting Sunday June 22nd and 1 week vacation in September.If they give me the job,I'll try to burn those AVA's before class if I can't take them with me.

That or they cut you a check, which Uncle Sam takes part of. You take your 9 years at least. You know they already asked your dept, for your record right? You know they already had RTO look at your record to evaluate you. They did it to me. They won't tell you either. So even though we will go in O/C, we are semi-promotional, as we do have jobs to go back to if it doesn't work out.

But it will work out right? See you July 14. Look for the midget with size 12 shoes, and an afro......

That or they cut you a check, which Uncle Sam takes part of. You take your 9 years at least. You know they already asked your dept, for your record right? You know they already had RTO look at your record to evaluate you. They did it to me. They won't tell you either. So even though we will go in O/C, we are semi-promotional, as we do have jobs to go back to if it doesn't work out.

But it will work out right? See you July 14. Look for the midget with size 12 shoes, and an afro......

It gotta work..lol!

Thats alright DOB2RTO just keep in mine yes I have a long way to go but I still have 3 1/2 Years in title over you and 8 Years in RTO!!LOL! Yes all that time and I'm 26 Years Young and no plans to make any more moves just collect the senority unless I go to TSS (Train Service Supervisor).

Nascar you still may work with your buddys in the CTA title you may be assigned to drive them around on the Refuse Train. I did it for half a pick it wasn't bad we worked well with each other and sometimes drove the Station Supervisor crazy. I told them off the bat I'm in charge of the train not them. When it came down to it the Control center took my word (Train Operator) over a Station Supervisor.

I can tell you the biggest diffrence you will find making the move from Stations to RTO is getting a day off is a lot harder. I know a few people that came over. I understand you can just call up and get a day. Not in RTO you must give 20 days in advance and it will may still be pending. The only day that gets a Pri is a Personal day.

Nascar remember with more money and time off comes a price to pay. I remember in OA if I wanted a day off I had to request at least 30 days before. Oh yeah and if the day off I wanted was a Sat or sun, you had better be ready to sleep in the depot - in front of the Union office! No lie or exaggeration ( spelling?!) But not to be too dark, there is light at the other end. It's gotta be better then cleaning after dirty irresponsible passengers not to mention the homeless who I hear are spreading bedbugs all over the benches and seats in the train cars eeewwww! Take my hat off to you guys not an easy job. But anyway good luck in your new endeavors. Although the job sucks (can I say that here?) it's great pay and benefits- better than anything you can get out here in civi world.;)(NYCT)

It's still that way in OA. I remember when I was working overnight 2 picks ago, in West Farms. When I would go out to get my bus, drivers would be in front of the union office, in fold up lawn chairs. So it is true, and I can attest to that. I tried to get a day off in KB over 1 month in advance, all was closed. So it seems to be worse in OA, than TA, Stations, or RTO. 20 days in advance isn't bad.

Although the job sucks (can I say that here?) it's great pay and benefits- better than anything you can get out here in civi world.;)(NYCT)

That is all that kept me in the DOB in MTA. Benefits and the fact I am on the T/O list. Outside of that, I would be at Liberty Lines (who is most likely going to be taken over soon).

Thats alright DOB2RTO just keep in mine yes I have a long way to go but I still have 3 1/2 Years in title over you and 8 Years in RTO!!LOL! Yes all that time and I'm 26 Years Young and no plans to make any more moves just collect the senority unless I go to TSS (Train Service Supervisor).

Just don't beat me to the TSS title. I need bragging rights to ;):D:D:D........That is my last stop, when everything works out. Can't think if......

Yeah with the new contract its 20 days in RTO. Before it was 30 days and if you wanted the day you had to stand outside the Crew Office and put the paper in thier mail box after Midnight you can't see anyone from the Assignment office face to face. The doors are locked and they only let you in for offical Business. I only got in once because I was given the mail job.

Oh yeah the new way to get a day off no more paper you call the RTO Auto Information Number after Midnight 20 days in advance and use your phone. If the line is down "Houston we have a problem" you may not get your day.

Oh Yeah another change for our B/O's coming over to RTO remember the Union does not control your assignments and time off. Also Union reps and shop stewards are hard to find on any line. If your in trouble and need a Union Rep you have to call the Hotline and hope someone answers the phone. Every Incident I had where Mgt told me I can call for a Union Rep. I declined and the outcome was very good.

That is all that kept me in the DOB in MTA. Benefits and the fact I am on the T/O list. Outside of that, I would be at Liberty Lines (who is most likely going to be taken over soon).

I resigned after 16 very long years. August will make it one year since I have been gone. Thinking of returning, (mind you just a thought) or I might just try Liberty Lines and their pretty buses. I remember the one's we drove in the bronx looked like they came out of a derby race. Miss the benefits and great pay- trying to put myself through nursing school and with the pay as an emt it can be very hard. Just keep your focus on the retirement years ,lgood pay, and no matter what they say great benefits.

Nascar you still may work with your buddys in the CTA title you may be assigned to drive them around on the Refuse Train. I did it for half a pick it wasn't bad we worked well with each other and sometimes drove the Station Supervisor crazy. I told them off the bat I'm in charge of the train not them. When it came down to it the Control center took my word (Train Operator) over a Station Supervisor.

I can tell you the biggest diffrence you will find making the move from Stations to RTO is getting a day off is a lot harder. I know a few people that came over. I understand you can just call up and get a day. Not in RTO you must give 20 days in advance and it will may still be pending. The only day that gets a Pri is a Personal day.

Thought refuse train was a cushy job for senior guys?? I heard about how hard it is to get a day off in RTO.:(I swear in stations,I used to get off on Fridays(S/S RDO) and run down to hoyt to put in for that monday and get the day 99.9% of the time.If you got a hook at the desk,they will give you the day on the spot..you just have to get them a G-2 and yur good.Stations has it's ups and downs.I've seen ALOT of T/O guys get bust down to cleaner and they HATE it..lol They're blessed to have a job because they came from the street and could have easily been terminated.

Nascar remember with more money and time off comes a price to pay. I remember in OA if I wanted a day off I had to request at least 30 days before. Oh yeah and if the day off I wanted was a Sat or sun, you had better be ready to sleep in the depot - in front of the Union office! No lie or exaggeration ( spelling?!) But not to be too dark, there is light at the other end. It's gotta be better then cleaning after dirty irresponsible passengers not to mention the homeless who I hear are spreading bedbugs all over the benches and seats in the train cars eeewwww! Take my hat off to you guys not an easy job. But anyway good luck in your new endeavors. Although the job sucks (can I say that here?) it's great pay and benefits- better than anything you can get out here in civi world.B)(NYCT)
Stations is prolly less stressful than RTO but I sure won't miss these litter bug passengers and the homeless people who think the station is their home.

I called Human resources today and they told me you need half yur sick days from whatever years of service you have to be considered for the position...:eek:I definitely don't have half,I never was on sick control either.We'll see wassup soon,pray for me..Ha Ha!

Yeah we had a lot of Train Operator with in the last 3 Years busted down to Conductor , Property Protection , Station Agent and Cleaner. Most of them from the A Div since big brother is watching your every move and even if its a signal problem they still try to put it on the T/O as Not having your train under control. I was a A Div C/R before the madness started and was bad as hell they forced me to B Div as part of my Promotion but now I see it as a blessing. I remember one day I visited my old work location Pelham Bay and was told 45 Train Operator were restricted to the Platfrom and to make up the Gap they gave thier jobs out as OT for those T/O's wishing to work thier RDO.

The B Div wasn't easy to get to lots of the locations when you have to work Brooklyn and Queens commute from PA but it still beats the A Div drama. However I will return one of these days to visit my friend who I worked with for 5 Years. Its just to crazy for me to transfer over right now. Also everyone I know in A Div that use to smile have such long faces its really sad how they messed up the morale.

Oh the Refuse Train is not too high in senority in B Div becuase they relief the T/O to make it a steady 8 Hour day and only one T/O while A Div got two T/O's with built in Overtime. I got the job as a Extra and keeped it because the T/O who picked it went out on Medical for Stress. He wasted energy fighting with the towers for Line Ups because he wanted his group to be more productive. Me on the other hand could care less they could leave me in the spur all night I won't get on the radio. I guess thats why Supervison liked having me on the job.

Yeah we had a lot of Train Operator with in the last 3 Years busted down to Conductor , Property Protection , Station Agent and Cleaner. Most of them from the A Div since big brother is watching your every move and even if its a signal problem they still try to put it on the T/O as Not having your train under control. I was a A Div C/R before the madness started and was bad as hell they forced me to B Div as part of my Promotion but now I see it as a blessing. I remember one day I visited my old work location Pelham Bay and was told 45 Train Operator were restricted to the Platfrom and to make up the Gap they gave thier jobs out as OT for those T/O's wishing to work thier RDO.

The B Div wasn't easy to get to lots of the locations when you have to work Brooklyn and Queens commute from PA but it still beats the A Div drama. However I will return one of these days to visit my friend who I worked with for 5 Years. Its just to crazy for me to transfer over right now. Also everyone I know in A Div that use to smile have such long faces its really sad how they messed up the morale.

Oh the Refuse Train is not too high in senority in B Div becuase they relief the T/O to make it a steady 8 Hour day and only one T/O while A Div got two T/O's with built in Overtime. I got the job as a Extra and keeped it because the T/O who picked it went out on Medical for Stress. He wasted energy fighting with the towers for Line Ups because he wanted his group to be more productive. Me on the other hand could care less they could leave me in the spur all night I won't get on the radio. I guess thats why Supervison liked having me on the job.

Wow...I live in queens so if I get the job,I would pick B division.I think the A division trains are cooler looking.I like those 1,2,3,9 trains that look like the shuttle train in times square.I also like the old 4,5 trains too.I don't know the model names yet...

Wow...I live in queens so if I get the job,I would pick B division.I think the A division trains are cooler looking.I like those 1,2,3,9 trains that look like the shuttle train in times square.I also like the old 4,5 trains too.I don't know the model names yet...

If they have openings in both, then one less person for me to worry about in the A Div. If I get a choice, that is where I will be headed.........

The model names of A div cars are R62/A and R142/A.

The R62/A are the "old" cars that run in the A div. And run on the (1)(3)(4) and (7) lines Heres an pic of an R62A. http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?79736

The R142/A are the newer cars these cars run on the (2)(4)(5) and (6) lines. Heres an pic of an R142... http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?40925

And what old (5) trains are you talking about? The (5) doesnt have any old trains on it are you talking about these cars?? http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?26701

The model names of A div cars are R62/A and R142/A.

The R62/A are the "old" cars that run in the A div. And run on the (1)(3)(4) and (7) lines Heres an pic of an R62A. http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?79736

The R142/A are the newer cars these cars run on the (2)(4)(5) and (6) lines. Heres an pic of an R142... http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?40925

And what old (5) trains are you talking about? The (5) doesnt have any old trains on it are you talking about these cars?? http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?26701

Thanx for the pics! Yeh those R62A's are nice,I thought the old 5 trains were R62A's also? I remember those red trains on the #7 line in queens.:D R32's are cool too..See I'm doing some research.B)

Thanx for the pics! Yeh those R62A's are nice,I thought the old 5 trains were R62A's also? I remember those red trains on the #7 line in queens.:( R32's are cool too..See I'm doing some research.;)

I love when I get to take a R62A 1 train, then get a R142 2 train. The old workhorses, accelerate so much smoother (R142A is the worse, but I love that propulsion). I spoke to 2 T/O on the 1 line today this morning. They went to 145st, (guess they had to go to 137st yard to get some trains). I asked them about the A Div, and told them what I do, and that I was going to for. They said, the crews are friendlier at the A Div. As they left, they wished me luck. The B Div T/Os are friendly to. It's all that is on this site, and they have been truly helpful, especially Dave........

Yeah it is alittle more friendly between the crews in A Div but use to be a lot better. At one time they had to beg T/O's and C/R in A Div to volenteer to work in the B Div but not any more. I know most of the guys in A Div nice people but supervision just went crazy over the last 3 years.

Yeah it is alittle more friendly between the crews in A Div but use to be a lot better. At one time they had to beg T/O's and C/R in A Div to volenteer to work in the B Div but not any more. I know most of the guys in A Div nice people but supervision just went crazy over the last 3 years.

That offer you gave me before, I just might take you up on soon. Just PM me.......

I love when I get to take a R62A 1 train, then get a R142 2 train. The old workhorses, accelerate so much smoother (R142A is the worse, but I love that propulsion). I spoke to 2 T/O on the 1 line today this morning. They went to 145st, (guess they had to go to 137st yard to get some trains). I asked them about the A Div, and told them what I do, and that I was going to for. They said, the crews are friendlier at the A Div. As they left, they wished me luck. The B Div T/Os are friendly to. It's all that is on this site, and they have been truly helpful, especially Dave........

Just out of curiosity do you want to work in the A or B division?

Archived