Got called for T/O

NASCAR

If they read this, they will break out the champagne, knowing they succeeded.......
Honestly,I wanted to do it on their time but I didn't wan't to take that chance of loosing a spot in the class.Medical was clipping alot of people yesterday!Alot of cats were upset coming out the Doc's office.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Honestly,I wanted to do it on their time but I didn't wan't to take that chance of loosing a spot in the class.Medical was clipping alot of people yesterday!Alot of cats were upset coming out the Doc's office.

One guy when I took my medical, was taken out of the EKG room by FDNY, in a wheelchair/stretcher looking device. He walked with a leg problem already, and he was the size of a small planet. He huffed and puffed when he walked, every time he got up and pushed the bench seats, I could feel the force of the bench seats tilting backwards......

It goes to show, some think they will sneak by..........

One guy when I took my medical, was taken out of the EKG room by FDNY, in a wheelchair/stretcher looking device. He walked with a leg problem already, and he was the size of a small planet. He huffed and puffed when he walked, every time he got up and pushed the bench seats, I could feel the force of the bench seats tilting backwards......

It goes to show, some think they will sneak by..........

Really?:eek:This is a safety sensitive job so they're not gonna take any chances. Medical is rough on people!TA doctors don't even wan't to clear they're own employees sometimes.The doc kept asking me the same questions over and over to make sure I was fit for duty.She kept looking at my files and she finally said..."Ok,I'll clear you." I thought she was gonna find something to put me on hold.

Its a never ending cycle with the MAC even when you get the job every 2 years they give you a full look over as a T/O while C/R's every 5 years. One thing that has changed about me whe I first got the job I was also worried they find something like Blood presure now I could care less If I get a Medical hold now that just takes me out of the job and in the Yards or Platfrom for a few months a vacation from the Road.

Sorry they giving you the run around but its nothing campared to what the crew Assignment section going to do to you when you come out.

School car will be a battle Daily Quizzes , Exams and practicals so make sure you study hard and pay attention in class. They strict these days on students because many have made it past school car and screwed up Equipment and service which fell back on Operations Training Department. They were also hard on the Promotions reminding us being a C/R don't mean jack if we don't pass will be back in Blue shirts. Most of us didn't care and out of a class of 30 we had only 15 that made it and a few people dropped during probation now my class is only 12 Strong.

I don't know if I said it but I demoted myself for one week but they talked me out of it since I had a clean record as a C/R and T/O.

Its a never ending cycle with the MAC even when you get the job every 2 years they give you a full look over as a T/O while C/R's every 5 years. One thing that has changed about me whe I first got the job I was also worried they find something like Blood presure now I could care less If I get a Medical hold now that just takes me out of the job and in the Yards or Platfrom for a few months a vacation from the Road.

Sorry they giving you the run around but its nothing campared to what the crew Assignment section going to do to you when you come out.

School car will be a battle Daily Quizzes , Exams and practicals so make sure you study hard and pay attention in class. They strict these days on students because many have made it past school car and screwed up Equipment and service which fell back on Operations Training Department. They were also hard on the Promotions reminding us being a C/R don't mean jack if we don't pass will be back in Blue shirts. Most of us didn't care and out of a class of 30 we had only 15 that made it and a few people dropped during probation now my class is only 12 Strong.

I don't know if I said it but I demoted myself for one week but they talked me out of it since I had a clean record as a C/R and T/O.

I started to read the rules and regs book but a former t/o at medical said don't waste my time because A and B division has different rules as far as signals etc. and I don't know what division I'll be in.Is school car hard??I've been told they do everything to help pass you because it doesn't look good on them if you fail out of school car!My concerns are the signals,not hitting reds and STOPPING that BEAST in time!:eek:

The (MTA) Rules and Reg. are the same for Both Divs. The rules on Signals are the same for both Div EXEPT A Div has more Signals such as Old IRT and Gap Filler signals thats the only diffrance.

School Car is not what it use to be Yes School car was know to try to pass you because they cared about producing the Numbers in operating personal but when they get on the road and screw up school car has been blamed and charged for incidents. School car will give you a chance to pass with tutering and 2nd chances on exams and practical however there was talk when I was in school car of doing away with second chances exept of practicals since when you redo one of them you have to do it in front of a TSS and Supt.

Stopping the train in time you learn that as you go and not hitting signals well it happens your going to hit a few the only question is will you not stop in time or will it flash in front of you. No matter what you could go downtown. One T/O said it the best "it easier getting the title then keeping it". If you go to A Div the odds of hitting a signal and having drama will go up since ATS (Automatic Train Supervision) will control your line ups and have been know to flash signals on you and Rail Control Center will claim everything is working as designed the T/O didn't have thier train under control. You also have to monitor your line ups carefully because the Computer been know to mess that up.

If you go B Div you really have to worry about Line Ups because taking a wrong route will put you in a diffrent Boro or the wrong side of town. Also you have to remember what kind of car class your operating and how many cars. Also the bad thing about the B Div reporting locations all over the city. You can have one day out of Bedford Pk (D) and the next day start out of Far Rockaway (A). I have gotten use to it and even picked jobs out of crazy locations which are far for me to commute. Like my first pick everyone tought I went nuts I took Wkends out of 168 (C) One day Metropolitan (M) One day Bay Parkway (M) and a day out of East New York YD (Z) finish at Parsons (J). No one picked my jobs for VAC Rel.

^Thanks Dave,that explains everything!When yur new,yur gonna make mistakes and that's how you learn.Hopefully they won't put people in the street.I know a T/O and he told me he hit signals on the (J) but he charged it up and kept it movin..:eek:he said he'll never tell on himself unless the conductor banged him in..ha ha!He's an old timer(they think differently)I would like the B division on p.m's but that's just wishful thinking!How long will it take for new T/O to pick a job?

Yeah you going to make mistakes you just hope you have a understanding Conductor and don't get cought by supervision. They may take you out of service and put you on the platfrom until your hearing comes up. Pending what you do you take days in the street , Demotion or Termination. We have a few new T/O's on the platfrom now for overrunning stations and hitting signals.

Lets break this down most likely if you want B Div you should get it. Your tour well you give the Crew Assignment section your Request (Wish List) of tour and Days off. Most likey you want PM's they will give it to you since most want AM's but don't be suprised if you see Midnights.

The Pick it took me 2 Years. Its been known to go up and down between 2 to 4 Years.

Yeah you going to make mistakes you just hope you have a understanding Conductor and don't get cought by supervision. They may take you out of service and put you on the platfrom until your hearing comes up. Pending what you do you take days in the street , Demotion or Termination. We have a few new T/O's on the platfrom now for overrunning stations and hitting signals.

Lets break this down most likely if you want B Div you should get it. Your tour well you give the Crew Assignment section your Request (Wish List) of tour and Days off. Most likey you want PM's they will give it to you since most want AM's but don't be suprised if you see Midnights.

The Pick it took me 2 Years. Its been known to go up and down between 2 to 4 Years.

If yur on probation and mess up,you have no union backing and they could terminate you right?Yeh,people hate p.m.'s!!I love it especially early reports 12-8(my favorite)1-9,2-10,3-11's and 4-12's I'm not really a big fan of tho.As far of days off,s/s or s/m would be nice but I doubt it.:(When yur extra yur days off change every week right?

The Union can still fight for you your first year but its easy for them to Terminate or Demote you.

I love the PM's myself and been on the PM Tour most of my career but worked every tour and had every RDO there is. When you work PM's you reporting time can be any where from 12:00 to 21:59. Your not likely to see early PM's more like 15:00 to 17:30 Reports. When your Extra Board you will see 12:00 and 13:00 reports and pick up a full job later in the day. The give the earlier job to those that Pick XL or those RX (New People) on thier Mondays and normally get a late job for your Friday. Most PM Station Swith and Yd jobs start between 15:00 and 19:00. Then you have the Refuse Train starts after 19:30 to 21:30. I did that for half a pick.

The Crew Assignment Office can change your Days off and Tour Weekly but B Div normally keeps you with the same days off during a Pick Period while A Div is know for changing you every 2 to 4 WKS.

You will see part of the Wkends off as you get Senority on the RX List goes from 001 to the last Hire. Also not only new people are on that list you sure it with Sabb Observers who need Sat Off they remain on the list until they get senority to Pick that day off.

^1700 and 2159 report times=:mad:Maybe I should pick AM's then..Lol Do they give hardships to new people who need weekends to watch their kids?If so,do you keep applying for it until you can pick weekends like the sabbs?Do they have hold down sheets for new people? I don't mind working jobs that people don't wan't as long as I can get decent hours and good days off.Remaining pm's will let you get weeks quicker than am's or nites, correct?Right now,I clean a station that senior guys would NEVER pick!!!It's alot of work but they reward you with s/s rdo's..:(

You know you can't win with the Crew Office if you go AM's you can report between 4AM and 11:59AM. Most jobs start between 5AM and 10AM. If you get Extra Board AM personal do pick up Early PM jobs. If you go Midnights that starts any time between 22:00 and 03:59 with most jobs starting between 23:00 to 2AM. Extra Board Mid personal pick up early AM Jobs.

The way it goes when your RX (Road Extra) your lumped in the same senority pot so it don't really matter what tour your on for good days off but you may have a better shot on PM's if people ahead of you want other tours. When it comes Pick time you get better days off on the PM's. In RTO its tricky because Yes you can pick a Line that no one with any time wants and get good Hours but your days off not really thats picked with the Section. Example Northern Sections (A)(C)(J)(L)(M)(Z)(H) Lines. You have maybe 15 spots for S/M PM's The SR T/O's on the (A)(J) Lines will eat them up as well as F/S and S/S. However you got the (L) you get good hours since SR T/O's run from CBTC or the (C) where your underground all day short breaks and reasigned on Wkends. I guess that makes me odd because I like the (C) because its a fast Local and I make the Job work for me which means Buy lunch at Euclid and eat it at 168 then taste it while I head back to Euclid.Lol.

Hardships because you have to look after the kids the offical policy is NO you are expected to find a babysitter. However I would still try for it anyway maybe you get someone who is understanding. When it comes time to pick its 98% change you will have to pick whatever is avaiable regardless of your family life. You may want to look into FMLA.

No we don't have a hold down sheet but we have a Bid Sheet for everyone to bid on open jobs after the first week of a new pick. The offical policy of the crew office is No Hold downs unless you get a Supt to like you and talks to the crew office.

Ok soooo when yur Rx,you sit and wait for a job to open,then do 8hrs. on top of that?I'd better get me a portable PS3 or bring my Ipod..:)You report to 168st. because you live uptown right?If you lived in Queens or Bklyn,you would start at Euclid right?Got any penalty jobs?

If your Extra Board or fall to the board Yes your waiting for a whole or Balance of an assignment to open up. I Live in PA so the drive to 207 and 168 is 1 Hr and 30 Minutes and that the closest location for me. I been know to pick Brooklyn and Queens jobs even when the commuting time is over 3 Hours. Its at the point my classmates behind me are afraid of me at first they tought I would just strictly pick Uptown jobs but they see now I like jumping around so they always have it in thier minds that I may pick them out.

This pick I have a few Penalty jobs and when I get reassigned like I will 3 weeks from now when© is suspened and (F) service to Euclid thats more money.

^I'd be scared of you too,you could pop up anywhere.:eek:Well at least yur not the type to pick people out with no fair warning.It's funny because most people pick a job that's good for them and stay for years!All it takes is for one person to pick somebody out and it will destroy a whole area..Lol It's like a domino effect!

I seen picks where everyone was picking people out. It gets funny in RTO you pick the wrong person out they hold it against you the whole pick especially when you steal someone's Partner who planned to work with each other but you come along. I always say senority hurts sometimes it work for you but other times it can be against you.

The offical policy of the crew office is No Hold downs unless you get a Supt to like you and talks to the crew office.

Get your knee pads ready NASCAR.............

^I'd be scared of you too,you could pop up anywhere.:eek:Well at least yur not the type to pick people out with no fair warning.It's funny because most people pick a job that's good for them and stay for years!All it takes is for one person to pick somebody out and it will destroy a whole area..Lol It's like a domino effect!

Down the road I would love to be the perpetrator who does this, to see the effect........

I seen picks where everyone was picking people out. It gets funny in RTO you pick the wrong person out they hold it against you the whole pick especially when you steal someone's Partner who planned to work with each other but you come along. I always say senority hurts sometimes it work for you but other times it can be against you.

It happens in the DOB too. Two operators were talking about this the other day, and one said I don't like the one he was talking to, cause he picked worked he wanted. This happened nearly 10 years ago. I just laughed at both of them........

Can't fight with senority! The "SILENT CODE" that goes on in the pick room will be broken at some point.

I will have this over you. Treat me right and I'll be good to you. I'll leave you something decent........

Get your knee pads ready NASCAR.............

Down the road I would love to be the perpetrator who does this, to see the effect........

It happens in the DOB too. Two operators were talking about this the other day, and one said I don't like the one he was talking to, cause he picked worked he wanted. This happened nearly 10 years ago. I just laughed at both of them........

I will have this over you. Treat me right and I'll be good to you. I'll leave you something decent........

Really?Ha..Me "B"division,you "A"division,we'll never cross paths.:) Maybe Pelham Bay Dave will leave me some scraps.B)

Really?Ha..Me "B"division,you "A"division,we'll never cross paths.:D Maybe Pelham Bay Dave will leave me some scraps.B)

I always could switch you know ;). Mr. Bay Dave is picking over you since he is in the B Div.......

Don't worry about me you got to be able to pick a job first!lol Maybe if your lucky I'll post you. DOB I'm over you too you just never know when I will come back to A Div and bounce all T/O's back by one.

Dave, do like the other certified T/Os on here. Keep your seniority over there.....in the B Div B):P......Bay P'way Dave is your new handle :D:D.......

Question do T/O and C/Rs get parking permits for their cars or enormous SUVs (we do in the DOB), even if you can't get parking in some of the yards??????

I always could switch you know B). Mr. Bay Dave is picking over you since he is in the B Div.......
Yeh I know he's a veteran.I gotta earn my stripes.

Dave, do like the other certified T/Os on here. Keep your seniority over there.....in the B Div B):P......Bay P'way Dave is your new handle :D:D.......[\QUOTE] Hey,Hey NO funny stuff here!:eek:Dave's cool, but I like Fish.;):D

Question do T/O and C/Rs get parking permits for their cars or enormous SUVs (we do in the DOB), even if you can't get parking in some of the yards??????

I always could switch you know B). Mr. Bay Dave is picking over you since he is in the B Div.......

Dave, do like the other certified T/Os on here. Keep your seniority over there.....in the B Div B):P......Bay P'way Dave is your new handle ;):D.......

Question do T/O and C/Rs get parking permits for their cars or enormous SUVs (we do in the DOB) You gotta apply for a permit and have a supt. approve it. I prob gonna ask a TSS in school car about it.

You gotta apply for a permit and have a supt. approve it. I prob gonna ask a TSS in school car about it.

I believe we all get the same parking permits but if your not sure apply for a new one it will be good in all Yards Except 207 St YD and Lenox YD you need a sticker from the shop Supt to park there from the Department of Car Equipment.

I ask because I wonder if I have to turn mine in when I leave the DOB, or keep it since I will still be employed with the MTA just doing a different job.......

Archived