R40's winding down to retirement (feel free to add photos & videos)

metsfan

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like the ride of the train, but I hate the design. I used to catch them all the time at DeKalb. I think that was the (;) train......

The same guy who designed the slantedness of the R40 designed the S1 and T1 pennsylvania railroad locomotives. among other things.

"New York City Transit Authority R40 car, whose slant-front design raised safety concerns and had to be retrofitted with guide rails."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raymond_Loewy

- Andy

So the conductor pays attention to the passengers, doors etc & the driver/operator pays attention to making the (MTA) train go and stop?

- Andy

Correct. I'm pretty sure on of the reasons the R40s are going is for the sake of the crews on them... think about it, how would you like to be in a little box all day operating an old train? (I wouldn't mind if I was a conductor or operator, but that's just me)

Correct. I'm pretty sure on of the reasons the R40s are going is for the sake of the crews on them... think about it, how would you like to be in a little box all day operating an old train? (I wouldn't mind if I was a conductor or operator, but that's just me)

I think there are many reasons to have full width cabs. They are retiring the cars because of irreversible deterioration.

One reason to have full width cabs is conductors not having to change cars to be on the platforming side. The view out the side and front isn't half bad in any of the cabs for the driver, however, being able to look both sides can improve safety as well as the quality of the work environment. Not only that, but another person, be it police another driver etc can be there, also easier to keep people from blocking the exit in case of emergency, because the exit for the driver is the frontmost end door. I'm sure there are other reasons as well.

- Andy

So the conductor pays attention to the passengers, doors etc & the driver/operator pays attention to making the (MTA) train go and stop?

- Andy

Conductor does the doors & announcements, train operator operates the train. Of course there's a lot more to both positions than that...

Because i took well over 200 photos on friday i decided to instead of posting link to each one include a link to my photobucket page for people to view at their leisure. I hope you enjoy looking at them as much as i did taking them!!!!!

http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l18/andyandsuesellstuff/?special_track=nav_tab_my_albums

- Andy

Because i took well over 200 photos on friday i decided to instead of posting link to each one include a link to my photobucket page for people to view at their leisure. I hope you enjoy looking at them as much as i did taking them!!!!!

http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l18/andyandsuesellstuff/?special_track=nav_tab_my_albums

- Andy

Wow, nice. You pretty much photographed that R40 to death :rolleyes:

Wow, nice. You pretty much photographed that R40 to death :rolleyes:

Well that was the idea. I wont ever get to ride one again so i did my best.

On a side note, i have officially sent the MTA an email requesting a piece of one of the slants to keep for myself, as they were my first subway experience.

I think i need to request that youtube & photobucket allow more uploads at a time, because the one at a time video thing & only 20 at a time photo limit is annoying when i fill my memory card.

- Andy

Well that was the idea. I wont ever get to ride one again so i did my best.

On a side note, i have officially sent the MTA an email requesting a piece of one of the slants to keep for myself, as they were my first subway experience.

I think i need to request that youtube & photobucket allow more uploads at a time, because the one at a time video thing & only 20 at a time photo limit is annoying when i fill my memory card.

- Andy

Yeah, it's a good thing. Trust me, I've sent the MTA an email asking if I can purchase an R40 (I've got room :rolleyes:), but I doubt that will happen.

How about a list of the best/favorite stations along the (:rolleyes: to go along with the R40 farewell? :rolleyes:

- Andy

My favorites are 145th Street and 125th Street in Manhattan.

In the Bronx (during rush hours, peak directions), I like 167th Street the best.

Its not duct tape the official name given it is "bonding tape"...I've felt it its far more substantial than duct tape.

Didn't we discuss this in a different thread? Yes, I'm pretty sure it's something much more powerful than duct tape as well.

Very nice shots and videos there! Of all the lines that the R40 Slant was ever on, I liked it best on the (W).

Yeah, it's a good thing. Trust me, I've sent the MTA an email asking if I can purchase an R40 (I've got room :rolleyes:), but I doubt that will happen.

I was hoping to go halves with someone and get a married pair of slants up to Branford for Operational purposes heh...I'll know how reasonable that idea is soon though...also requires Branford accepting and willing to take in the cars (as well as try to maintain them)

I was hoping to go halves with someone and get a married pair of slants up to Branford for Operational purposes heh...I'll know how reasonable that idea is soon though...also requires Branford accepting and willing to take in the cars (as well as try to maintain them)

So, i got a response from the (MTA)...

I got sent a link to their unclaimed items & surplus parts/equipment dept. Needless to say i am excited to find countless things that i'd pay money for. I think they need to start listing more things on there instead of raising fares. One listing was a truck.

- Andy

So, i got a response from the (MTA)...

I got sent a link to their unclaimed items & surplus parts/equipment dept. Needless to say i am excited to find countless things that i'd pay money for. I think they need to start listing more things on there instead of raising fares. One listing was a truck.

- Andy

PM me the info they gave. Everything I have for Surplus Material seems to want to go through Fax and I'd prefer to make my inquiries in person/over the phone and pick up anything I buy rather than have it shipped.

PM me the info they gave. Everything I have for Surplus Material seems to want to go through Fax and I'd prefer to make my inquiries in person/over the phone and pick up anything I buy rather than have it shipped.

I don't even have to PM it. The number you call is typically at the bottom of the listing and is specific to the category. I am going to try and get a slant RFW and one of the angled front windows. By the way, they have a lot of other cool stuff on there. I am going to call tomorrow and inquire further. If i can go to a place to pick the items up i'd prefer that because i wanna know what i'm getting. Their office is on 2 broadway (by bowling green station) on the 18h floor. I will have to see what i get in response from a message i left

- Andy

I don't even have to PM it. The number you call is typically at the bottom of the listing and is specific to the category. I am going to try and get a slant RFW and one of the angled front windows. By the way, they have a lot of other cool stuff on there. I am going to call tomorrow and inquire further. If i can go to a place to pick the items up i'd prefer that because i wanna know what i'm getting. Their office is on 2 broadway (by bowling green station) on the 18h floor. I will have to see what i get in response from a message i left

- Andy

Yup I know the office, but Hmm...what's the number you got in the message? Last time I called I got told to fax in a form with shipping info for the item I wanted...

Also the other reason I ask is the R40 slant stuff isn't listed on the website. Well it may be but specific details aren't provided. It's just listed as "Subway Car Parts"...

Maybe I have to go down there in person? Sounds like it might be my best bet...perhaps sometime next week when I'm back in NYC.

Yup I know the office, but Hmm...what's the number you got in the message? Last time I called I got told to fax in a form with shipping info for the item I wanted...

Also the other reason I ask is the R40 slant stuff isn't listed on the website. Well it may be but specific details aren't provided. It's just listed as "Subway Car Parts"...

Maybe I have to go down there in person? Sounds like it might be my best bet...perhaps sometime next week when I'm back in NYC.

That's what i'm doing thursday. Will PM you the number.

- Andy

I've made some photos of R40ies. Some of them are in WIKImedia Commons.

(user GK_tramrunner229) ... Indeed I have some videos, but still very lazy to put them into Youtube.

Here are SOME of them

just look on picutres and pay no attention to signs.

I'll try to make more.

And what is going to be instead of R40ies? R68s, or moer R160.

I'd love to see R160ies on Q line.

And interesting how will R179s look like.

Archived