B24 Elimination Idea

LRG

The B24 has always been one of Brooklyn's oddest bus routes in my book. It's one of two bus routes that has both terminals in Brooklyn but also travels outside of Brooklyn (the other being the B13). The travel times between both terminals average between 35-45 minutes, although the B62, which essentially connects with the B24 at its Williamsburg terminal and Greenpoint terminal, can take a passenger from one end to the other in half the time.

Granted, I have never taken the B24, so I don't know what the ridership on the line is like. My assumption that it's dismal, but I may be wrong. However, I believe that I may have a cost-neutral idea to replace the B24 outright, with service replaced by other routes.

In the Williamsburg section, the Q54 would be rerouted from Grand Street to Metropolitan Avenue, and would take over the B24's route from Humboldt/Metropolitan to the bridge terminal. The Q54 would continue to operate at all times, operating along its new route full-time.

The B48 would be rerouted from its terminal in Greenpoint. At Apollo Street, the B48 would turn off Nassau Avenue onto Apollo and then onto Meeker Avenue and take over B24's route until Sunnyside in Queens where it would terminate. The B48 would continue to operate at all times, but would terminate at Manhattan/Nassau Avenues at night instead of Queens.

Finally, the Q104 would be extended from its terminal in Sunnyside, Queens to Greenpoint - West Street/Kent Avenue. The frequency of the Q104 would be pumped up to operate 30 minutes all day instead of the hourly frequency at the beginning and ending of its run.

There will be no bus service along the B24 between Metropolitan/Humboldt and Meeker/Apollo.

Any thoughts on this?

Sounds good, especially given that the Q104 is not a long route and can tolerate a bit more traffic.

Problem: Apollo St/Hausman St are (seemingly) too narrow for buses.

Are you giving the whole route weekend service?

What whole route? The buses that will be replacing the B24 already have weekend service....

I mean that if the extensions will run on weekends, B24 riders will once again have weekend service on their street. Unless the weekend termini are the current ones...

The thing is that the Q104 will have to be rerouted in Sunnyside, since Queens Blvd blocks off access to Roosevelt Avenue/Greenpoint Avenue. The bus would have to go down 49th/50th Streets and then make its way back to Roosevelt Avenue.

I think an extension of one of the routes that currently terminates at Jackson Heights (probably the Q49) down Greenpoint Avenue would be a better bet.

I have not riden on the (B24) since the June 2010 Doomsday Cuts. However from busfanning it in recent years prior (including riding it alot when i lived in Bushwick in 2004/'05 for few months)almost no one rode it the whole route between Greenpoint via Sunnyside and Williamsburg. And Vice versa.

Again before June 2010, almost all of the ridersship was in '3' areas on the (B24).

One was between Williamsburg and Humboldt Street right before the route went on the "K" Bridge by a housing project over there. Also a few would also get off at the first/last stop in Queens going to transfer to either the (Q67) or (Q39). The rest would go to the nearby UPS mega facility.

Finally the rest of the ridership would ride between the 46th Street (7) station and the Brooklyn/Queens border by the Greenpoint Ave bridge. In last couple of years major national hotel/motel chains like "best western' opened up on Greenpoint Ave right by the LIE. Thus IMO the (B24) at least(before we dicuss any major changes to that route and the (Q104)should run weekends between 46th Street/Queens Blvd and Greenpoint Ave (G).

So assuming it's the same ridership as a weekday only route I am sure Checkmate and (B35) via Church can make the approiate analysis/replies to adjust the (B24).:eek:

Sounds like an interesting idea, especially if it is completely cost-neutral. I don't know the B24 that well either, but the routing always did look rather odd to me. I actually have an idea of my own about how to handle that, probably more expensive but would also involve restoring service over the Williamsburg Bridge. This plan would eliminate the B24 and replace it with extensions of the Q49 and the Q104.

The Q49 would run southwest on Roosevelt Av from 74 St to Queens Blvd/Greenpoint Av, then down Greenpoint Av along the northern B24 routing to Kent St/West St. Current headways would be increased to 30 minutes all times except rush and 20 minutes during rush.

The Q104 would be extended via 48 St (with a slight detour via 43 Av/50 St/Roosevelt Av southbound and via 47 Av/50 St/Northern Blvd northbound due to the Northern Blvd median) along the southern B24 routing to the Williamsburg bus terminal, then over the bridge to City Hall via Delancey St/Bowery/Park Row. Current headways would be pretty much kept as is.

Since neither of these routes is very long to begin with, even after extension both routes would only take about an hour to run from one end to the other (which seems to be about standard for (MTA) bus service). Here's a Google map I drew up to illustrate the idea; the blue line is the extended Q49 and the red line is the extended Q104.

http://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=200421088698928261912.0004aa07818b362b1e970&msa=0

Sorry it's not embedded, but I can't get the GMAPS tags to work.

I don't like it and neither would the (MTA) based on how they're responded to some suggestions so far. You would eliminate one bus and re-route three buses which I'm sure they would argue would cost too much and in that way, you would be better off keeping the B24 as is.

It would pretty much be cost-neutral, so they can't really make an argument about increasing costs.

I have not riden on the (B24) since the June 2010 Doomsday Cuts. However from busfanning it in recent years prior (including riding it alot when i lived in Bushwick in 2004/'05 for few months)almost no one rode it the whole route between Greenpoint via Sunnyside and Williamsburg. And Vice versa.

Well, I wouldn't expect anybody (other than a busfan) to ride the full B24 route, considering the fact that the B62 is more direct (and frequent)

Sounds like an interesting idea, especially if it is completely cost-neutral. I don't know the B24 that well either, but the routing always did look rather odd to me. I actually have an idea of my own about how to handle that, probably more expensive but would also involve restoring service over the Williamsburg Bridge. This plan would eliminate the B24 and replace it with extensions of the Q49 and the Q104.

If it were embedded, you would be able to see that it can't go straight down 48th Street because of a barrier blocking it (the median of Queens Blvd is in the way)

If Q104 was extend to Greenpoint Av, Kent Av-bound buses have to make left turn at 43rd Av, use U-turn road onto Roosevelt Av, onto Greenpoint Av, then B24 stops.

Astoria-bound Q104 have to make right turn from 47th St to Greenpoint Av onto Roosevelt Av, make left turn at Queens Blvd, then regular Q104 stop.

Maybe Q103 should be extended via Greenpoint Av to Sunnyside, Queens.

I have taken Q103 three-six times. It's short.

Sunnyside-bound Q103 could make right at Borden Av, stop at LIC Station entrance by 2nd St, make left at 2nd St, stop by East River Ferry, back to 2nd St, make right onto Borden Av, left onto Queens Midtown Tunnel Expressway East, onto 21st St, make left turn at Jackson Av, follow B62 to Greenpoint Av, make left onto Greenpoint Av, and terminate at 47th St.

Layover on 48th St.

Astoria-bound Q103: Turn right at 47th Av, 1st stop at 48th St, turn left at Greenpoint Av, make right turn onto Manhattan Av, following B62 to Jackson Av, make left onto Jackson Av, make right at 51st Av, make left at Vernon Blvd, make right at Borden Av, make left turn at 2nd St, serve East River Ferry, make left at 2nd St, make right at Borden Av, make left at Vernon Blvd, regular route.

It would pretty much be cost-neutral, so they can't really make an argument about increasing costs.

Well, I wouldn't expect anybody (other than a busfan) to ride the full B24 route, considering the fact that the B62 is more direct (and frequent)

If it were embedded, you would be able to see that it can't go straight down 48th Street because of a barrier blocking it (the median of Queens Blvd is in the way)

Yeah; the bus would actually operate via 43 Av/50 St/Roosevelt Av/48 St southbound and via 47 Av/50 St/Northern Bl/48 St. Post corrected.

Yeah, you said your S93 plan was cost neutral and you see what they said about that... ;)

Actually, I didn't say it was cost-neutral, but just like the X37/X38 restoration, the cost is well worth it.

Don't worry. I'm not going down without a fight. I'll get Allen Cappelli and all of the politicians I can get ahold of. If that doesn't work, nothing will. :cool:

Hopefully, it'll be easier to get your suggestions passed.

The Q49 would run southwest on Roosevelt Av from 74 St to Queens Blvd/Greenpoint Av, then down Greenpoint Av along the northern B24 routing to Kent St/West St. Current headways would be increased to 30 minutes all times except rush and 20 minutes during rush.

The Q104 would be extended via 48 St (with a slight detour via 43 Av/50 St/Roosevelt Av southbound and via 47 Av/50 St/Northern Blvd northbound due to the Northern Blvd median) along the southern B24 routing to the Williamsburg bus terminal, then over the bridge to City Hall via Delancey St/Bowery/Park Row. Current headways would be pretty much kept as is.

Since neither of these routes is very long to begin with, even after extension both routes would only take about an hour to run from one end to the other (which seems to be about standard for (MTA) bus service). Here's a Google map I drew up to illustrate the idea; the blue line is the extended Q49 and the red line is the extended Q104.

http://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=200421088698928261912.0004aa07818b362b1e970&msa=0

I'm not too sure about your Q104 into Manhattan proposal. For what it's worth it's problematic having buses run over the Williamsburg Bridge due to traffic, especially Manhattan-bound. Brooklyn-bound is much easier. If you are going to send a bus route over the bridge then a bus lane (or even an HOV lane) should be created so buses don't get held in the excess traffic, but I'd rather have that done with one of the buses that currently terminate at the bridge terminal, probably the B44 as that bus is getting the +SBS treatment. I would have the local B44s during the day operate between the bridge terminal (instead of Flushing Avenue) and Avenue U whereas the +SBS buses operate into Manhattan.

I'm not too sure about your Q104 into Manhattan proposal. For what it's worth it's problematic having buses run over the Williamsburg Bridge due to traffic, especially Manhattan-bound. Brooklyn-bound is much easier. If you are going to send a bus route over the bridge then a bus lane (or even an HOV lane) should be created so buses don't get held in the excess traffic, but I'd rather have that done with one of the buses that currently terminate at the bridge terminal, probably the B44 as that bus is getting the +SBS treatment. I would have the local B44s during the day operate between the bridge terminal (instead of Flushing Avenue) and Avenue U whereas the +SBS buses operate into Manhattan.

Not to get off-topic but B44 local buses will have to run the full route down to Knapp St (Since the Select Bus will only stop at Avenue U, Avenue X, Emmons Av & Nostrand Av and at Knapp St) The Bx12 can get away with short-turning local buses while SBS is running, but the B44 can't.

And of course we've talked about sending the 44 into Manhattan before...

Actually, I didn't say it was cost-neutral, but just like the X37/X38 restoration, the cost is well worth it.

Don't worry. I'm not going down without a fight. I'll get Allen Cappelli and all of the politicians I can get ahold of. If that doesn't work, nothing will. :cool:

Hopefully, it'll be easier to get your suggestions passed.

lol... I just e-mailed the two folks we talked about, so we'll see what they say. I'm curious what they'll say about the S53 in particular since they clearly view the S93 as a variant of the S53.

Any thoughts on this?

Well bro, given what I notice about the ridership habits of ppl in that part of Brooklyn, I would do things somewhat different.....

1) I would leave the Q54 alone; that route has a healthy riderbase... and since it's comin from Jamaica, it should take the quicker route to WBP (which is, what it does now)...... The Q59 is what I would focus on... only reason that route does as well as it does b/c it steals riders off the Q58; it's time been over past due....

For starters, the Q59 (in Brooklyn) I think should do 2 things:

- have it run down marcy/up rodney (like the current B24 does) en route to/from WBP....

- have it run across metropolitan b/w bushwick av & marcy av... then make it's way to grand by going up/down bushwick av.....

It's funny how back on RD, some of us were sayin that the Q59 should be extended to WBP.... well, turns out that move has not worked out for the better; it's wasted mileage (having it loop using kent/wythe to/from WBP)...

As far as what I think the 59 should do in Queens, that's for another discussion.....

2) The B48, first off, I would send back down to prospect park subway.... but yes, on the northern end I would send some 48's to Sunnyside; probably on a 20 min headway type of thing between the AM & PM rush (inclusive).... rest of buses would continue to serve the industry over there on Meeker.....

3) The B24 simply should be relegated to a Greenpoint/Sunnyside shuttle, operating along Greenpoint av..... even if they didn't barricade off 48th @ QB, an extension of the Q104 I don't think would be worth it....

....anyone in Williamsburg that wants Sunnyside service will just have to make their way to the B48; ridership was never strong on Lorimer, due to the fact that buses serve the industry (Meeker) - Exactly why majority of the ridership north of Broadway goes to the 43 (compared to the 48), and exactly why the B48 is an afterthought out in Greenpoint....

redesignate the "role" of the B24, and expand the service area of the 48, you have a potential win win situation.... Both those moves might actually bring more riders to those routes...... at least, Imo....

* btw, the 48's I'm sayin would serve Sunnyside, would run via Meeker av, over the bridge.... the 48's that would serve the industry would continue to run its current routing via Nassau av....

The B24 has always been one of Brooklyn's oddest bus routes in my book. It's one of two bus routes that has both terminals in Brooklyn but also travels outside of Brooklyn (the other being the B13). The travel times between both terminals average between 35-45 minutes, although the B62, which essentially connects with the B24 at its Williamsburg terminal and Greenpoint terminal, can take a passenger from one end to the other in half the time.

Granted, I have never taken the B24, so I don't know what the ridership on the line is like. My assumption that it's dismal, but I may be wrong. However, I believe that I may have a cost-neutral idea to replace the B24 outright, with service replaced by other routes.

In the Williamsburg section, the Q54 would be rerouted from Grand Street to Metropolitan Avenue, and would take over the B24's route from Humboldt/Metropolitan to the bridge terminal. The Q54 would continue to operate at all times, operating along its new route full-time.

The B48 would be rerouted from its terminal in Greenpoint. At Apollo Street, the B48 would turn off Nassau Avenue onto Apollo and then onto Meeker Avenue and take over B24's route until Sunnyside in Queens where it would terminate. The B48 would continue to operate at all times, but would terminate at Manhattan/Nassau Avenues at night instead of Queens.

Finally, the Q104 would be extended from its terminal in Sunnyside, Queens to Greenpoint - West Street/Kent Avenue. The frequency of the Q104 would be pumped up to operate 30 minutes all day instead of the hourly frequency at the beginning and ending of its run.

There will be no bus service along the B24 between Metropolitan/Humboldt and Meeker/Apollo.

Any thoughts on this?

Can't really agree with THIS idea. That route is really one that exists for network coverage. Any plan would eliminate service to the Cooper Park Houses at the base of Kingsland/Grandparents Avenue. However, on the southern end, I would re-route the B24 to Grand Street instead of Metropolitan Avenue. To provide better connections in Greenpoint, however, I would have the B48 terminate at Meeker and Vandervoort/Apollo to allow for a transfer to the B24 there...and an easier run-on/run-off to/from Grand Avenue Depot.

I would propose this instead.

1. Combine the B24 with the Q101 as follows:

From Williamsburg, B24 to Greenpoint and 48 Avenue (essentially, the former B29)...then down the Q39 route to 39 Street, up 39 Street, and then down Steinway to the Q101 terminus. Riders going to Manhattan can transfer to the Q60 at Queens Boulevard, and this would create a true north-south route where none currently exists. This would travel down Metropolitan Avenue, Kingsland Avenue, Kosciuszko Bridge, 48 Street, and 39/Steinway.

2. Discontinue the Greenpoint Avenue section of the B24, and re-route the Q67 down Review (to LIC) and Starr and Review (to Middle Village) to fill in the service gap.

The only downside that I see: One can no longer reach Sunnyside directly from Greenpoint anymore...but is that segment well-used anyway? (It could be reached via the B48.)

As for the B48 down Norman for the next 15 months, I would consider making it permanent for network coverage.

forget about that wild 104 idea... on avg, the current 104 from end to end is a little over 1/2 hour, current B24 b/w sunnyside & WBP is another 1/2 hour, and to go from WBP to Park row is another 20 mins.... you are essentially talking about creating a 90 min. route that's about as indirect as you can get..... it's not like north jersey's routes to NYC (for example) where you can have a route connect multiple communities like that & have it work out for the better....

the 49 idea I don't agree with either... the Q32 is as slow as it is along Roosevelt; why would you wanna duplicate that problem.... the current 49 serving 74th st terminal, works..... were you just listening to checkmate when he blurted out the Q49 ?

Can't really agree with THIS idea. That route is really one that exists for network coverage. Any plan would eliminate service to the Cooper Park Houses at the base of Kingsland/Grandparents Avenue. However, on the southern end, I would re-route the B24 to Grand Street instead of Metropolitan Avenue. To provide better connections in Greenpoint, however, I would have the B48 terminate at Meeker and Vandervoort/Apollo to allow for a transfer to the B24 there...and an easier run-on/run-off to/from Grand Avenue Depot.

I would propose this instead.

1. Combine the B24 with the Q101 as follows:

From Williamsburg, B24 to Greenpoint and 48 Avenue (essentially, the former B29)...then down the Q39 route to 39 Street, up 39 Street, and then down Steinway to the Q101 terminus. Riders going to Manhattan can transfer to the Q60 at Queens Boulevard, and this would create a true north-south route where none currently exists. This would travel down Metropolitan Avenue, Kingsland Avenue, Kosciuszko Bridge, 48 Street, and 39/Steinway.

2. Discontinue the Greenpoint Avenue section of the B24, and re-route the Q67 down Review (to LIC) and Starr and Review (to Middle Village) to fill in the service gap.

The only downside that I see: One can no longer reach Sunnyside directly from Greenpoint anymore...but is that segment well-used anyway? (It could be reached via the B48.)

As for the B48 down Norman for the next 15 months, I would consider making it permanent for network coverage.

1) I wouldn't mess w/ the 101, but I do like the idea of having a route utilizing 39th st.... you do see quite a # of ppl. walkin from northern to QB....

2) on the B24, the amt. of ridership b/w [williamsburg to sunnyside], and [greenpoint to sunnyside] are about equal.... I see no reason to move the Q67 off borden, or what the 67 has to do w/ anything here really....

The thing is that the Q104 will have to be rerouted in Sunnyside, since Queens Blvd blocks off access to Roosevelt Avenue/Greenpoint Avenue. The bus would have to go down 49th/50th Streets and then make its way back to Roosevelt Avenue.

I think an extension of one of the routes that currently terminates at Jackson Heights (probably the Q49) down Greenpoint Avenue would be a better bet.

let Q33 handle greenpoint. BQE williamsburg segment goes to q49

Between GMAPS- Click on sunglass icon, then PASTE HTML.

let Q33 handle greenpoint. BQE williamsburg segment goes to q49

"NO" Mr Trainmaster. The (Q33) runs well basically as the Jackson Heights-LGA "Shuttle' Bus. Not to mention assuming it used Roosvelt part of the route it be stuck often in double parked cars/trucks between 74th and 46th St stations.

The only extenstion of the Q33 that could work is every other bus going to Woodside to serve the LIRR. Other than that keep the 'primary' Q33 route as it is.

The (Q49)is a possiblity to extend but only IMO to Greenpoint.

PS Any discussion of an possible extended (Q32) or a direct 1-bus LGA-Midtown route should be separte and use a different routing between 74th St-Roosevelt and the airport i.e using the BQE/Grand Central.IMO

"NO" Mr Trainmaster. The (Q33) runs well basically as the Jackson Heights-LGA "Shuttle' Bus. Not to mention assuming it used Roosvelt part of the route it be stuck often in double parked cars/trucks between 74th and 46th St stations.

The only extenstion of the Q33 that could work is every other bus going to Woodside to serve the LIRR. Other than that keep the 'primary' Q33 route as it is.

The (Q49)is a possiblity to extend but only IMO to Greenpoint.

PS Any discussion of an possible extended (Q32) or a direct 1-bus LGA-Midtown route should be separte and use a different routing between 74th St-Roosevelt and the airport i.e using the BQE/Grand Central.IMO

Actually, the double-parking on Roosevelt usually happens east of 74th St. Once you travel west of Broadway, traffic or double-parking isn't that bad.

My Q103 Idea

[GMAPS]<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=201703423907676287259.0004aa1593cbc2a72dc9c&ie=UTF8&ll=40.753284,-73.938332&spn=0.046521,0.042658&output=embed"></iframe><br /><small>View <a href="http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=201703423907676287259.0004aa1593cbc2a72dc9c&ie=UTF8&ll=40.753284,-73.938332&spn=0.046521,0.042658&source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">Q103</a> in a larger map</small>[/GMAPS]

Sunnyside-bound Q103:

Make right at Borden Av, stop at Long Island City Station, make left turn at 2nd St, make right into Hunters Point Pier Parking Lot, stop by Ticket Vending Machine, then make left turn at 2nd St, make right at Borden Av, stop by Vernon Blvd, bear left onto Queens Midtown Expressway East, take exit onto 21st St, make left turn at Jackson Av, make left turn onto Pulusaki Bridge, onto McGunniess Blvd, make right at Freeman St, make left at Manhattan Av, make left at Greenpoint Av, terminate at 47th St, make right onto Queens Blvd to 48th St, then layover.

Astoria-bound: Make right turn at 47th Av, first stop at 48th St, make left turn at Greenpoint Av, make right at Starr St, make left at Van Dam St, onto Greenpoint Av, make right at Manhattan Av, make right at Greene St, make left onto McGuiness Blvd, onto Pulusaki Bridge, onto 11th St, stop by Jackson Av, make left at 48th Av, stop at 5th St, make left at Center Blvd, stop at 48th Av, bear left to 50th Av, make right at 2nd St, right onto Hunters Point Pier Parking Lot, make left at 2nd St, make right at Borden Av, stop at Long Island City Station, make left at Vernon Blvd, regular route.

Make same stops as B62 and B24 stops.

New Stops:

Sunnyside-bound:

Borden Av/Long Island City Station

Hunters Point Pier Parking Lot by TVM

Borden Av/Vernon Blvd

Jackson Av-Greenpoint Av: B62 stops

Greenpoint Av to 47th St: B24 stops.

Astoria-bound:

48th St to Manhattan Av: B24 stop.

Greenpoint Av to Pulusaki Bridge: B62 stop.

48th Av/11th St

48th Av/5th St

Center Blvd/48th Av

Hunters Point Pier Parking Lot by TVM

Borden Av/2nd St-Long Island City Station

Archived