B24 Elimination Idea

LRG

QJtrainmaster taking 'hostage' yet again of a bus/subway topic:eek:. How in world we end up talking about bus service in Westchester and Bergen Counties?

I am glad that you have some concerns however My idea is a gamble to try and sway ppl out of their cars so traffic on cross bronx can become bareable. Also At FT lee and bridge plaza several transfer opportunities to several NJT and R&T routes would be possible which would increase ridership on those NJT rtes and R&T lines that will gain ridership from the Q79 or QBXJ7 whatever makes sense. This bus is an experiment. Plus most won't have to drive after getting off Q79 at GWB due to the many NJT options the increased ridership on NJT lines would force many lines to improve service and thus create a ripple effect of ridership increases. Should a metro-north or cross town rail line be created that goes from New rochelle through parkchester and co-op city to penn station or bay ridge (another issue altogether) Then together with this bus ppl from CT now have a fast way to NJ all they have to do is use 2 express lines then the new rail line. The ridership from the rail line plus queens and many lines feeding Q79 could skyrocket ridership as ppl will use the rail line to parkchester and then take the bus to the plaza where they will use NJT since there are many different places in NJ they will go served by different lines then those lines will gain ridership from the rail enhancements and regional rte indirectly. This rte is a long term preparation rte for the future. In the future the bus will get a busway after I95 is widened or an elevated line is made. In the near term a bus from new rochelle to parkchester via I95 may help via divider separated HOV only way to enter is via an exclusive toll only available to buses. Park and rides can be made at LIRR stations so parking can be expanded. In nassau ppl will use various LIB lines to get Q79.

QJtrainmaster taking 'hostage' yet again of a bus/subway topic:eek:. How in world we end up talking about bus service in Westchester and Bergen Counties?

dude calm down its just an example and speculation nothing more. I am not serious just saying some attempt should be made to handle that I95 travel market

actually, the way you drew the "B48a" (let's call it, for discussion purposes) is not exactly what I had in mind.... it's not your fault though, as I wasn't specific with it....

B48a's would continue on Lorimer, til it hits meeker... and it would continue on meeker all the way to the bridge... it would run under & parallel to the BQE (much like the B62 does, except that's considered park av over there obviously)...

when I get more dap, I'll hand some over... I know how tedious editing the original map can be.... I got like 1/2 way done w/ the brooklyn ideas I had before the june 2010 cuts... then a new brooklyn map came out (scary how the B61 almost looked EXACTLY the way I edited it, as they updated it on the july 2010 map; or w/e month's map was the first to illustrate the june 2010 cuts)....

I have a few google maps I'm in the middle of creating (just finished my version of what would be the revived B23), so I guess I'll illustrate my williamsburg changes....

If you have the time, and want to make that change to the 48a though, that'd be cool.....

48a interesting approach more power to u. Rarely do I attempt to make a new route out of the blue

dude calm down its just an example and speculation nothing more. I am not serious just saying some attempt should be made to handle that I95 travel market

No you calm down Trainmaster. You keep hijacking these topics and many of the members on the boards are unhappy because of it. You should create your own thread on reforming the entire NYC/NJ metro area bus network instead of going way off course. This was a topic on the (B24) and related routes in Brooklyn/Queens. You keep off topic to comments you only know.:tdown:

No you calm down Trainmaster. You keep hijacking these topics and many of the members on the boards are unhappy because of it. You should create your own thread on reforming the entire NYC/NJ metro area bus network instead of going way off course. This was a topic on the (B24) and related routes in Brooklyn/Queens. You keep off topic to comments you only know.:tdown:

lets just drop it u are taking it too serious noone really cares flame war over. B24 again is fail B35 ur ideas on it?? Why would B48 and B48a work better??

Why would B48 and B48a work better??

first off, the B24 as we know, is a weekday only route... the B48 itself is a 7 day a week route... so that's one advantage...

The B48 connects to every single route that runs out of WBP (just at different places obviously), so riders couldn't complain of a loss of an xfer to a particular route... If you're coming off the (J)(M), you avoid the crowds the Marcy.... Only connection that would be lost, is that of to the (Z), since that doesn't stop at Lorimer.....

If current riders knew that a B48 service would go to Queens, I seriously do think you'd see more ridership on that route, north of broadway... Knowing that 48's currently only serve the industry, where you wont get masses of ppl. traveling to/from in general anyway, the route is rather shunned up there...

lets just drop it u are taking it too serious noone really cares flame war over. B24 again is fail B35 ur ideas on it?? Why would B48 and B48a work better??

At least i am not hiding what other members feel about you Transitmaster and saying what the others. And you need to come back to earth on this and other topics. And flame war please. Trainmaster you been turning topics upside down and it getting old with extending a new bus route between Stamford and Flushing or w/e route you propse. Just create your own thread Trainmaster on it. End of discussion.

Back to topic. So far B35's proposals looks the best but i would just had create a new route for the B48a name.

first off, the B24 as we know, is a weekday only route... the B48 itself is a 7 day a week route... so that's one advantage...

The B48 connects to every single route that runs out of WBP (just at different places obviously), so riders couldn't complain of a loss of an xfer to a particular route... If you're coming off the (J)(M), you avoid the crowds the Marcy.... Only connection that would be lost, is that of to the (Z), since that doesn't stop at Lorimer.....

If current riders knew that a B48 service would go to Queens, I seriously do think you'd see more ridership on that route, north of broadway... Knowing that 48's currently only serve the industry, where you wont get masses of ppl. traveling to/from in general anyway, the route is rather shunned up there...

How about this tweaking instead? I would have the B48 loop around via Stewart and Lombardy to get to the BQE, and then go up 48 Street, Queens Boulevard, 39 Street, connecting with the Q101 there, and Northern Boulevard, then running via Northern Boulevard to a terminus at Northern Boulevard and Broadway. New ridership generators would be traffic to and from the Queens Boulevard and Northern Boulevard shopping districts.

I'm tempted to combine the Q66 short-turns (from Flushing that end at 51 Street) in the rush hour as a rush-hour extension of the B48, but would it make that route too long and too unwieldy?

In this post, I put the B48, but should it be the B48 or B24 that gets the extension? Realistically, only one route can be sent to that area...but which one?

The (B48) since it's a full time 7-day a week. With that said, I would terminate it in area of 46th Street/Queens Blvd (7) station in Sunnyside.

And further expand B35's idea. I would extend the (B24) 'shuttle' via West St/Kent Ave to terminate it at WBP. Thus the (Q59) would no longer have to travel in IMO a stupid loop around Kent Ave and go staright to/from Queens.

How about this tweaking instead? I would have the B48 loop around via Stewart and Lombardy to get to the BQE, and then go up 48 Street, Queens Boulevard, 39 Street, connecting with the Q101 there, and Northern Boulevard, then running via Northern Boulevard to a terminus at Northern Boulevard and Broadway. New ridership generators would be traffic to and from the Queens Boulevard and Northern Boulevard shopping districts.

I'm tempted to combine the Q66 short-turns (from Flushing that end at 51 Street) in the rush hour as a rush-hour extension of the B48, but would it make that route too long and too unwieldy?

In this post, I put the B48, but should it be the B48 or B24 that gets the extension? Realistically, only one route can be sent to that area...but which one?

At least i am not hiding what other members feel about you Transitmaster and saying what the others. And you need to come back to earth on this and other topics. And flame war please. Trainmaster you been turning topics upside down and it getting old with extending a new bus route between Stamford and Flushing or w/e route you propse. Just create your own thread Trainmaster on it. End of discussion.

Back to topic. So far B35's proposals looks the best but i would just had create a new route for the B48a name.

thats all u needed to say in a logical manner not an angry tone much better

interesting I suggested a similar idea to MTA at the LIB hearings and NJT hearings to NJT back to topic good idea since you put it that way. I can implement similar structures in my other statewide proposals I admit I am far from perfect

I would split the 48 as I suggested, as opposed to having one continuous 48 service looping around the industry & on towards Queens...

- about the 39th st thing.... only thing I can think of at the moment is moving Q101 via Steinway's Q101 down 39th & across QB (where it would actually be more useful), en route to manhattan... instead of serving a rather dead part of northern blvd as it currently does....

as opposed to that B24/Q101 thing you mentioned in a prior post....

- about the Q66 short turn thing, how you worded that to me is not clear.... are you sayin you'd extend B48's (or B24's) to 51st/northern, or are you really suggesting that the current short turn Q66's should actually go into brooklyn? Neither one are too good an idea IMO.... Some would say sending 48's to Sunnyside alone would be too far, nevermind sending them to Woodside....

I would go about fixing the uniformity issues w/ the 66 (esp. w/ buses leaving Flushing)... I wouldn't extend those buses anywhere... If anything, I would truncate that route.... but seeming that's it's a 24 hr route that serves QBP, have no choice but to leave it, despite the indirect route it takes to get to QBP.....

To answer your very last question (not that I'm in agreeance w/ either, but), for the purpose you mention, I think sending B24's would make a lot more sense than sending B48's anywhere around/along Northern Blvd.....

.....And further expand B35's idea. I would extend the (B24) 'shuttle' via West St/Kent Ave to terminate it at WBP. Thus the (Q59) would no longer have to travel in IMO a stupid loop around Kent Ave and go staright to/from Queens.

yeah, that loop is a waste of time, b/c truth be told, those are people that are seeking B62 service over Q59 service... which is exactly why I'd shorten the Q59 at Marcy/Rodney, en route to WBP.... they didn't take the 59 before the extension to WBP anyway....

I actually thought about that; acting as a shuttle within a shuttle, so to speak, b/w Williamsburg & Greenpoint before gettin to Queens..... I'm not sure if the area along kent (av)/wythe/franklin is suitable for bus service..... that would kinda be like creating a Brooklyn version of the Q103... lol.....

I would simply focus on havin the 24 pan along Greenpoint, since that seems to be the half of the route where ridership's increased (more)....

Archived